Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Telltale Games

Company »

A company well-known for their popularization of the episodic release format and influence on the adventure game genre. Following massive layoffs in September 2018, the Telltale brand is now operated by LCG Entertainment.

Telltale selling retail copies as "Season Pass discs" that require you to download significant portions of the game

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whitegreyblack

I just discovered today, entirely by accident, that Telltale Games' new retail copies of their games for consoles are "Season Pass Discs". These "Season Pass Discs" only contain certain episodes of the game and then you must download the remaining episodes with a voucher code (edit: correction - the disc itself is the "voucher" https://twitter.com/jobjstauffer/status/650326871008247808). In the case of Minecraft Story Mode, it's Ep. 1 only so you have to download eps 2-?; in the case of Game of Thrones it's Ep. 1-5 and you must download Ep. 6.

I saw a disc for Minecraft Story Mode in a store this week and thought it was strange since I did not think that game was fully out yet. Some searching later, I find (buried in the Support section for Minecraft Story Mode on the Telltale Games site under "How Much Do Episodes, Season Passes, Or Season Discs Cost?") that the disc does not include the full game.

I was surprised to find out my new copy of Game of Thrones is a "Season Pass Disc" as well, which took me by surprise because the info about this is on the back of the box in about 4-5 pt text and the store listing when I bought this online (Best Buy) said nothing about it. I had no idea. The Telltale Games site says nothing about it anywhere on the Game of Thrones page, either.

I know this does not make sense to those who have fully embraced the "digital future", but as someone who buys physical games because I want offline access to the console games I buy at any time I choose, this is a real piss-off. I'm going to return my copy of Game of Thrones - thank goodness I found out before I opened the shrink wrap.

Now, I have no idea if full retail discs are planned to come out at a later date, but I wanted to put out a "buyer beware".

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

Fuck everything about that.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The Minecraft one is especially shitty.

1) it's aimed at kids

2) the was only one episode out when I saw it in store

3) parents and young children are less likely to be aware of telltales business model

4) imagine buying this game for your child and the not being able to play it right away or finish for thing because you either don't have an internet ready console or the game hasn't even been fully released yet. Me thinks a disappointed child and heartbroken parent.

Telltale should sell purchase cards or wait for the game to be done before doing this. It's shitty of them

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been an ardent Telltale Games supporter since 2006 but I have chosen to buy their newer stuff on disc for consoles because my wife and I now play most of them together; when it comes to console releases I want physical retail discs. This is a real bummer and I guess I'll either stop buying Telltale Games' series or have to go back to PC (neither option is ideal, but neither is a huge loss in the long run, I suppose).

The fact that the info on this is so buried on Telltales' own website, and especially that online store listings make no mention of it, makes this look especially shitty to me.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I always wondered how they could sell pressed discs of games that hadn't finished their 'season' yet, I guess this is how.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like they wanted to rush it out for the holidays, especially in Minecraft's case.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Telltale in general has kind of become fast food. Walking Dead season 1 and Wolf Among Us were amazing, and everything after that has been disappointingly barely decent.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No reason to get internet outraged about this (it's not like they're cheating you out of anything), but i see how it can be quite confusing and a bit misleading especially in the case of people buying minecraft for kids. To me it's just an extra step, but i already have that awareness so...

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: tales from the borderlands is their best game yet imho and this is coming from someone who expected nothing from that game as I don't care for the borderlands lore or humour.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I don't have a problem with it in and of itself, but I do feel like there are going potentially be thousands upon thousands of disappointed people (specifically children with the Minecraft one) who don't know any better. Hell, you can check Amazon right now and see a handful of people already bummed out with their purchase.

On one hand, if people did even a bit more research, they wouldn't run into this problem, but on the other hand, this is a new business practice that, for lack of a better way to put it, is being passed off as something your everyday average consumer thinks is something totally different that they're already used to. Even the previous Telltale games came complete on the disc.

I dunno, it's not the worst thing in the world, but I totally understand why people are upset.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the biggest problem with these disks isn't that you have to download the additional episodes, it's that the packaging does an incredibly poor job of spelling out that it's not the full season on the disk (there's some small print on the front that mentions the required downloads and some equally small writing on the back to explain what's on the disk and what you have to download, but most people would probably need a magnifying glass to read it). If the box simply had "Downloads Required" or "Internet Connection Required" on the front of the packaging (with "See Back for Details or something) and in a readable size, I think most of our issues with it would be gone (I know there's the problem with Minecraft that you only get one episode on disk, but as long as the packaging makes sure you know what you're getting into, I think that's less of a problem).

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By whitegreyblack

@ripelivejam: Not "internet outraged" about it, just really disappointed.

While Telltale is not "cheating" anyone out of content, they are removing the choice some of their customers are making in regards to how they purchase and consume the content. They are in their rights to do so, but a customer saying it's misleading and a poor choice is hardly getting "internet outraged" about it.

edit: I also mentioned how neither Telltale's site nor online retailer's sites mention how the Season Pass Disc works unless you go really digging for the info (even then you may not find it), so it's misleading to a lot more than just people buying Minecraft for their kids.

edit2: I know you internet outrage comment is likely not pointed directly at me, just wanted to clarify my position and that this thread is intended as a legitimate "caveat emptor" situation rather than one of some sort of misguided "fuck Telltale" one ;-) I'll stop endlessly editing this now

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

This is disappointing, but I also feel it's kinda hopeless fight. So many physical games do this now to some degree whether it's DLC or big Day 1 Patches, it feels inevitable that our game purchase are becoming temporary to some degree

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

This is a terrible idea. People that buy discs do so for a reason, and this is taking that reason away from them. If they don't want to sell the whole thing on a disc then there just should not be a disc version of it. I can see a card of some kind like Xbox Live cards and such, but selling a disc with only a fraction of the content sucks.

Hopefully they will at least put out a completed disc once all the episodes have been released.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

That's beyond stupid. I buy the disc versions because I want physical versions that contain the entire game. If I wanted to download them, I'd just download the entire thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.