Console Open Beta PSA

#1 Posted by Zirilius (1700 posts) -

Just a note to everyone that may be trying to play the open beta for consoles this weekend that the current state, especially on PS4, is bad.

Multiple Errors when trying to sign in and for those who do get it there are reports of severe server lag or constant disconnections. I haven't tried to get in since the launch time but twitter users are still reporting similar issues to the one I was receiving.

I'm was more interested in this as this might be a way for me to play the game again as it really felt like it was always designed for consoles but Bluehole and En Masse aren't giving me any faith that they can hold up their end.

The errors I was receiving looked like this.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
#2 Edited by bigdaddy81 (383 posts) -

That's a damn shame. But I guess that frees me up to try the Sea of Thieves open beta this weekend.

#3 Posted by Efesell (4478 posts) -

Oof, was it meant to be an early access kind of "beta" or a come break our shit before we launch thing.

Not the kind of error messages I would like to see on the open phase of a beta though..

#4 Posted by Zirilius (1700 posts) -

@efesell said:

Oof, was it meant to be an early access kind of "beta" or a come break our shit before we launch thing.

Not the kind of error messages I would like to see on the open phase of a beta though..

Doesn't appear to be a stress test but does appear that they wanted to get a larger audience in for testing. So the good is that they'll get this going but the bad is that it might sour the mood of anyone on the fence about the game.

Xbox seems to be fairing a bit better but that does require a user to have a Gold account.

#5 Posted by Humanity (18728 posts) -

I actually sunk a decent amount of time into Tera on PC and it\s a surprisingly fun solo experience. You get token quests of kill X thing or go to Y location but it all strings together in a gradual progression taking you all over the world and all the armor in that game as well as the weapons look really cool. The unique classes like the Lancer are also neat twists on existing archetypes. If a Giant Bomb community formed around the console release I would probably give it another go because playing alone was decent fun but I'm sure with a group where everyone can play a specific class would be even better.

#6 Posted by TheHT (15839 posts) -

Oh hey, yeah I also put a fair amount of time into this when it went free-to-play on PC, also solo. Game's pretty, even if it's got some creepy shit in it. This is the game with the young girl race right? With some menial controversy about changing their outfits when it came out over here? Yeesh.

The semi-actiony combo-based combat was neat though. Think I rocked a greatsword fella, which was fun. I remember liking the vibe of the world. Weird kinda fantasy thing going on.

#7 Posted by grandCurator (235 posts) -

Tera is a better game than it has any real right to be. Sucks that the console beta seems broken, but from what I've read performance wasn't great either from the previous betas. It's not even a super well optimized game on PC.

#8 Posted by MeesterO (112 posts) -

I can double vouch for the performance on consoles being terrible. From playing in the closed beta a couple months back once hitting the huge city where everyone decides to AFK in, you suddenly run into 0 fps situations where once you enter them, you end up in a spot you have no recollection of ever heading to because you just skipped about 1000 frames of animation. I understand its hard to bring an MMO to a platform that is designed to output graphics at the same rate across all similar devices, but to the point to where I'm actually not able to see whats happening while im traveling through high populated areas for small amounts of time is downright unacceptable. Especially since there has been MMOs in the last five years that managed to get up and running on a PS3. Some of them still being able to play with their PC counterparts. While performance maybe wasn't the best they were still acceptable and playable at the time of their release.

#9 Posted by Zirilius (1700 posts) -

Just a quick update before I leave for the day. Servers seem mostly stable and playable at this point and Tera's twitter is turning up new servers for both consoles. Good luck this weekend.

#10 Posted by Efesell (4478 posts) -
@humanity said:

I actually sunk a decent amount of time into Tera on PC and it\s a surprisingly fun solo experience. You get token quests of kill X thing or go to Y location but it all strings together in a gradual progression taking you all over the world and all the armor in that game as well as the weapons look really cool. The unique classes like the Lancer are also neat twists on existing archetypes. If a Giant Bomb community formed around the console release I would probably give it another go because playing alone was decent fun but I'm sure with a group where everyone can play a specific class would be even better.

Yeah I remember having a pretty good time with it, also mostly solo because the community seemed at the time somewhat alarming.

A little curious to try it again, many MMOs have adopted that style of being more proactive in combat but nothing ever went as far in that direction as TERA.

#11 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

Any reason to play this beta like any sort of "all beta participants get some small consumables upon release of the full game"-type of thing? I've played it on PC before so I have a good idea of what I'm getting into gameplay-wise so I was just gonna wait for the full console release to start playing.

#12 Posted by Pazy (2770 posts) -

Any reason to play this beta like any sort of "all beta participants get some small consumables upon release of the full game"-type of thing? I've played it on PC before so I have a good idea of what I'm getting into gameplay-wise so I was just gonna wait for the full console release to start playing.

They have some costume and mount rewards for playing certain amounts and hitting certain levels: http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/open-beta-stress-tests
I was fairly excited myself since I like the combat enough to think about levelling just to get the sweet mount but that even on an Xbox One X the framerate is fairly bad even just out in the world with constant stutters so its not worth it for me.

#13 Edited by Zirilius (1700 posts) -

If there was ever a lesson in how to not do an open beta I think Tera just kind of did it.

Multiple login issues throughout the weekend. Some where planned though as they were trying to do legitimate stress tests at certain times. Performance was pretty bad all around but very noticeable in major hubs or dungeons. Server lag on both platforms was so bad at one point that you couldn't hardly even play.

I hope they learn a lot from this and it sounds like for those interested you can keep your download free for the next open beta whenever that is.

It had been awhile so I went and downloaded the PC version and my goodness does that game look substantially better even at it's base settings. I know there is a market for this but boy do I not have faith in EnMasse to get this right.

#14 Posted by kadaju86 (77 posts) -

Server lag just sounds like the Tera EU servers back in the day. God, what a pain it was to even do something simple as Fane of Kaprima on normal mode at time because you would get random lag spikes just when you needed to dodge on a boss. Then again, I played the game on a Macbook under Bootcamp with an AMD graphics card that constantly was on the verge of overheating my entire machine while living in Japan, so I tanked even the hardest dungeon as a warrior with single digit framerates and a ping of around 200-500ms, so anyone complaining about poor performance can suck it! >:P

Played Tera pretty hardcore with being a guild lead and also doing more or less all content that was in the game up until the point where I quit, along with pretty much all of my guild and other friends. If this had come out back when they first talked about it I might have been interested, but it's just way too late and I dislike nearly all the changes they've made to the game overall. Vanarchy system being snuffed was one of the final nails in the coffin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.