Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Test Drive Unlimited 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 08, 2011

The sequel to the open world driving game, Test Drive Unlimited.

Bugs and issues

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

Ok, this game launched in US on 8th and UK on 11th, I bought it from Steam, downloaded on the 8th and started playing on the 9th and have already noticed quite a few issues but I can't be sure how many are local to my set-up or universal.

These issues have been fixed or have ways to work around them:

• I'm finding that the game only plays in Windowed mode, even with my resolution set to 1920x1080, I can see the top of the window at the top of my screen- Fixed thanks SaltyPancakes
    • Selecting my XBox 360 for Windows controller was too complicated, I spent ages tooking through menus before I found the detect controllers option- Got this working for a while and then it stopped again
    • On the 11th (UK release date!) the servers were down, and there was nothing on it on the login screen's news section. WTF! On launch day, seriously? The login page was showing Servers available then after logging on it would say servers unavailable - The server is down so that Eden can address issues and more details for this are on the TDU2 official website
    • My newphew is sat next to me playing TDU2 on his PC at the same time as me, we are both at the same location outside the caravan on the first island, 1 of us to the left of the gate looking to the right the other to the right of the gate looking left, I can see he is in the right place by looking at his screen but I can't see him on my screen, he is in my friend list but is not showing as logged on, I am in his and also not logged on so I can't find him or invite him - Fixing server issues should fix this too
    • When I flash my lights or turn my lights on when driving at night I can see a ghost image of trees, a church and a car, I have taken 2 photographs one of a landscape with a church and the other of a car, if you happen to be near an event when you see another driver you want to challenge flashing your lights starts the event instead of flashing the other player, surely they could have spotted that as a potential issue - Fixed when I fixed the Windowed mode issue
    •  I got a pre-order code to get the Zonda tri-color car option but can't see where to type it in - This is fixed now, I found the place to register my Zonda on the TDU2 pages

Still on my list:
    •  The menu systems are inconsistent, using my XBox 360 for Windows controller some menus use the left and right shoulder buttons to move between the tabs while others use the left right on the d-pad  
    • Collision detection is inconsistent, playing in 1 player mode I can follow a CPU controlled car using the same line and while that car is not affected by objects on the road such as bollards if I hit them I am
    • I sometimes seem to hit objects that passed by to the side, I use the view where I look over the hood/bonnet of the car, and even though it would appear I have passed certain objects something on the car seems to catch the object somewhere and I just stop dead and have to reverse before it will release me

If anyone knows of other bugs, annoying 'unplanned features' or solutions to issues post them here. It might be easier than starting multiple threads.
    Inzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Inzzy

Well, I have not had issues with the fullscreen mode that you are talking about, I too am playing on the same resolution. 
    But another bug that I found is that if you want to rebind your keys on the keyboard from controlling you character with the arrow keys to WASD-keys it will only allow you to input 3 of the keys, the last one it just refuses. 

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @SaltyPancakes:  Thanks, that's a great tip, I might try it the very next time the game lets me log on or play in offline mode.
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @SaltyPancakes: I tried the Alt+Enter method and at first it stretched my screen so the corners were not visible and I couldn't see the FPS that fraps was generating. Then I reduced the resolution and put it back up again, and finally I adjusted my screen refresh setting from 24hz (wtf!) to 59hz and now the game is silky smooth at a solid 60fps with settings at very high and it has fixed my ghosting issues as well. So I'm happier now. I also noticed today that the version number is 063, when I am sure I had 055 before so there has clearly been an update, now I just want the server issue to be dealt with so that I can play the game online and try things like the co-op modes. This will hopefully be addressed in the announcement that has been promised for 10am PST.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Maybe not a bug but it seems to me that cars handle worse then they should.  I got a AWD A6 car and it weaves and fish tails like a RWD car.

Also, the hedge bushes shouldn't be concrete, you should be able to drive thru them.

And why is there so much smoke coming out of the exhaust?  Its just stupid.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By jacdg
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    " Maybe not a bug but it seems to me that cars handle worse then they should.  I got a AWD A6 car and it weaves and fish tails like a RWD car.  Also, the hedge bushes shouldn't be concrete, you should be able to drive thru them.  And why is there so much smoke coming out of the exhaust?  Its just stupid. "
    Try turning down the steering sensitivity in the options menu, I hated the game in the beginning but after fiddling with the controls a bit, I'm really enjoying the game.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By gla55jAw

I'm playing on my 360 and I've noticed if you don't start a race at a fast enough speed when you start in 1st place, the cars behind you magically ghost through you because they're inpatient.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @JacDG said:
    " @sins_of_mosin said:
    " Maybe not a bug but it seems to me that cars handle worse then they should.  I got a AWD A6 car and it weaves and fish tails like a RWD car.  Also, the hedge bushes shouldn't be concrete, you should be able to drive thru them.  And why is there so much smoke coming out of the exhaust?  Its just stupid. "
    Try turning down the steering sensitivity in the options menu, I hated the game in the beginning but after fiddling with the controls a bit, I'm really enjoying the game. "
    I'm not using a wheel so I don't see where I can adjust the steering.

@gla55jAw said:
    " I'm playing on my 360 and I've noticed if you don't start a race at a fast enough speed when you start in 1st place, the cars behind you magically ghost through you because they're inpatient. "

Yeah, I've seen that too.  I was driving a A7 Alfa Romeo and the game had serious issues with that car starting from neutral.  It would bang around between first and second gear.  It really makes me think that the dev didn't pay much attention to some cars.
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I have found with the start of a race try if you time your accelaration so that as the word 'GO' appears on the screen you push the button/pedal you get an immediate start off the line, if you hold the button down you get delayed at the line. I managed to get to play offline today, I had 3 attempts at different times yesterday before it would let me play offline as the servers were down.

I really enjoy the game when I can get it to play, but there really needs to be a better way to get it into offline mode, I did it by unplugging my network cable and then starting the game which got a prompt on the screen asking if I want to play in offline mode, otherwise it was going in a loop, it would start to launch then tell me the servers were down and then loop back to the press enter to start screen.

bkfountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By bkfountain

I'm tired of all these bugs and issues. Since tuesday, I've had more freezes playing this game than the entire time I've played this generation. Unacceptable that server problems render a console game unplayable unless you disable the internet connection.  

I loved the first game and enjoyed getting all 1000 achievement points, but goddamn this game is a mess. I'm going to bitch my way to a refund tommorrow.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Found a pretty big issue and a annoying one.

Big issue is that on the second island, I'm not getting credit for driving on the road.  You know how it turns blue for paved and yellow for offroad?  It's only giving me random credit and the GPS acts like it can't keep up.  It will actually say I'm increasing my distance to the target until .3 or .4 miles have past then it will catch up.  I'm really hoping this was just a fluke and that when I play again tomorrow, it will be fixed.

And the annoying issue is how cars react to things that you hit or drive over.  I've had cars actually point skyward because I ran over a little curb.  It's like the game don't know what to so it freaks out.  I was just driving a Lotus A5 and tapped sideways on a guard raid and it spun me around three or four times but nearly at a stand still.  Quite frankly the physics in the game are messed up.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By jacdg
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    " @JacDG said:
    " @sins_of_mosin said:
    Try turning down the steering sensitivity in the options menu, I hated the game in the beginning but after fiddling with the controls a bit, I'm really enjoying the game. "

@gla55jAw said:
    " I'm playing on my 360 and I've noticed if you don't start a race at a fast enough speed when you start in 1st place, the cars behind you magically ghost through you because they're inpatient. "
    Yeah, I've seen that too.  I was driving a A7 Alfa Romeo and the game had serious issues with that car starting from neutral.  It would bang around between first and second gear.  It really makes me think that the dev didn't pay much attention to some cars. "
    You don't need a wheel to adjust steering sensitivity, it's in the options menu.
    Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Bane
    @sins_of_mosin said:

Yeah, I've seen that too.  I was driving a A7 Alfa Romeo and the game had serious issues with that car starting from neutral.  It would bang around between first and second gear.  It really makes me think that the dev didn't pay much attention to some cars. "

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that. I kept yelling "Pick a gear FFS!" at the screen. Also, turning the wheel made the RPM's go up, like it was going into neutral or the wheels were coming off the ground. Strange car that Brera.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @JacDG said:
    " @sins_of_mosin said:
    " @JacDG said:
    " @sins_of_mosin said:

@gla55jAw said:
    You don't need a wheel to adjust steering sensitivity, it's in the options menu. "

Actually, after I won a Lotus A5 car, I've had little issues with steering.  And when I did the stupid 'training' for the A 1-5 I believe, those super cars handled great.  I tell ya, its like they barely paid any attention to the cheap cars. 
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

A new update was released for this game today and Clubs are back online.

I've updated my original post to show what changes I have seen or things that I was able to fix using advice from people on here.

New issues, I think I know that answer, but after trading a house with 2 parking slots for 1 with 4 I have noticed that 2 of my cars are missing, I'm guessing that they were sent to my house in Hawaii, but I don't know how to bring them back, so ideas would be welcome as I need my 4x4 for some discovery missions.

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

There is an issue with the software and how it detects NAT settings, I have 2 PCs in the same room, mine and my nephews. Sometime when I start TDU2 I get full cone, while my nephew gets restrictions on his even though he started his game at around the same time as me. This is with all software AV and Internet Security disabled so the only firewall is through the router.

Everytime I quit the game and restart it my NAT settings change and I have checked, I definitely have UPnP configured, all of my online games work without issue, all that is except TDU2.

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By wrathofconn

The fact that you can't just plain sell a car when you want to is a bit ridiculous. Other than that, I find it a lot less buggy (on 360, at least) than the first TDU, which locked up on me constantly when I played it on the PC.

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I was reading through the TDU2 news on Steam and noticed that they said the Wrecks was a free DLC gift which was meant as an apology for the 'bugs' that were found in this incomplete game at launch. Did it actaully happen that way? I thought the wrecks actually there from the start?

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By krummi
    @TheKeyboardDemon:
    They mean the upcming first DLC for the game. It will add one set of wrecks to collect.
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @krummi:  I'm still a bit confused, is that part of the 6 that are available now or will be in addition to the 6 that are on there? (making 7 in total when it happens)
    krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By krummi
    @TheKeyboardDemon:
    2 new sets of wrecks will be added according to news items I've read. You'll get Lancia Strator and '69 Charger after finding the wrecks.
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @krummi:  That sounds pretty good, so that means a total of 8 cars that we can win. It's a bit annoying that they are making the DLC free and then making us work to get it though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.