Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Test Drive Unlimited 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 08, 2011

The sequel to the open world driving game, Test Drive Unlimited.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 - A surprise

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By krummi

Only things I heard of the game was that its a dumbed down (if that even is possible) version of the previous one. Was going to pass it altogether but due to some weird error I got some pre-order bonus codes so why not buy it - it cant be that bad surely. 

And now Im hooked. 

Yes there is absolutely no realism in the feel of driving psychics. Like driving a train on raiway tracks. Then the controls are full of weird and stupid things, like I couldnt get my choice for the first car at all when trying to control the avatar with the Microsoft wheel (Lotus was so low that I couldnt get the reticule low enough by crouching - yes you cannot move it vertically with the wheel). The map is virtually impossible to scroll with the wheel as well. All in all I have to constantly joggle between the wheel and a pad but still its huge fun just to drive around Ibiza (dont want to go to Hawaii before I have won all competitions on the tiny spanish island). 

If I werent such a antisocial brick this would be 1000/1000 game for sure. 

Oh, the "plot" in the dirst one was miles better; "Welcome to Hawaii, heres some money, buy a flat and a car and have fun." No godawful cutscenes with godawful player models and godawful voicework. Is it spelt 'godawful' or 'god awful'?
    krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By krummi

Only things I heard of the game was that its a dumbed down (if that even is possible) version of the previous one. Was going to pass it altogether but due to some weird error I got some pre-order bonus codes so why not buy it - it cant be that bad surely. 

And now Im hooked. 

Yes there is absolutely no realism in the feel of driving psychics. Like driving a train on raiway tracks. Then the controls are full of weird and stupid things, like I couldnt get my choice for the first car at all when trying to control the avatar with the Microsoft wheel (Lotus was so low that I couldnt get the reticule low enough by crouching - yes you cannot move it vertically with the wheel). The map is virtually impossible to scroll with the wheel as well. All in all I have to constantly joggle between the wheel and a pad but still its huge fun just to drive around Ibiza (dont want to go to Hawaii before I have won all competitions on the tiny spanish island). 

If I werent such a antisocial brick this would be 1000/1000 game for sure. 

Oh, the "plot" in the dirst one was miles better; "Welcome to Hawaii, heres some money, buy a flat and a car and have fun." No godawful cutscenes with godawful player models and godawful voicework. Is it spelt 'godawful' or 'god awful'?
    Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Bane

Have you tweaked the control settings? The default settings are horrible, but I've been able to tweak it so the cars handle fairly well. It's still not Forza, but it's not supposed to be.

I think there are 10 slider positions. The left end is 1 (digital), the right end is 10 (analog). My setup is something like:

Pad linearity: 3
    Speed factor: 10
    Steering damping: 1
    Throttle linearity: 9
    Brake linearity: 9

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By krummi
    @Bane:
    Had done only some vague poking at the settings. The speed factor and steering damping were the problems. Had to turn both all the way left to make things a lot easier. Now I dont have to wrangle the wheel all the way around all the time (especially at high speeds).
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By fox01313

Does seem a bit limited in the car types over the first but you get a huge amount more to cover in roads & finding the wrecked cars doesn't hurt either, agreed it is a bit of a surprise once you get past the rather awful cinematic bits with the npcs (except for the off road license tester, they didn't make her into some complete idiot like most other characters so far). Liked the first one & only real complaint with the game aside from the game kicking me off XBL alot is that almost all the early places to buy all have 2 garage slots so been having to spend more on those while tracking down wrecked cars over buying new ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.