Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Beatles: Rock Band

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Sep 09, 2009

Following the Rock Band formula, The Beatles: Rock Band immerses players into the shoes of the Fab Four as they progress through their career, featuring an exclusively Beatles theme and song list.

All Doubts Have Been Relinquished!

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By A Likely Story

deleted

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By A Likely Story

Yesterday, oh how I long for it again, three friends and I had an infinitely awesome time with The Beatles: Rock Band. I won't speak for them, but for me it was the absolute most fun I have ever had with a rhythm game. Matter of fact, it was the most fun I've had with any game in a long time.

I got the game the day of release, of course, and played it strait through in a few hours on a combo of vocals/bass and vocals/guitar (I generally went with whichever guitar part was rated harder, unless it was a song I didn't know very well). I had played Voxtar on regular Rock Band before in anticipation for The Beatles, so I wasn't a total train wreck, though I did fail a few songs because I was too distracted trying to figure out a few vocal lines and lyrics to play the guitar. I loved rocking out to songs like Hey Bulldog and revealing some emotion on songs like Something, and in the end I felt overall satisfied with the game. It looks fantastic, plays great, the dreamscapes are wonderful, and the little details really do help improve the exerpience as a whole. I am let down by the ending, which is rather anticlimactic, both for the cinematic and song choice, but really I'm just mad that Harmonix hyped up the song by keeping it a secret. I also thought there would be a bit more of a narrative of the Fab Four's career. I then played the game with my dad later on, just in quickplay, and when he scrolled through the list of songs, his first reaction was, "That's it?" Right then I realized that I kind of felt the same way, and I was wondering what my friends would think when they came over on Saturday.

However, once that day came, any fears I had for the replayability and overall entertainment value of the game vanished. Having us four rocking out to what is a wonderful selection of Beatles songs was an amazing experience, and anyone who doesn't have people willing to play with them is missing out on something great. The most noticeable reason for all the excitement was the three part harmonies, and even though we were all singing along regardless of who had a mic (we have three) and how many Beatles were actually singing, having everyone joining in on songs like All You Need Is Love is marvelous. I was trying as hard as I could to actually harmonize, which I did manage to do on a few songs, but damn, to us it didn't matter - we were just loving the game no matter who was singing what. I'll definitely go to practice mode and work on that for next time, that's for sure, but there's nothing wrong with four people all singing lead on Don't Let Me Down. ;)

The thing that really made my day was seeing my friends' reaction to the game, one in particular. He comes over every now and then with another friend to play regular Rock Band with me, but he doesn't have any of these kinds of games at his home, except for maybe an old Guitar Hero. All throughout the day he kept saying how "freaking awesome" the game is and that he's in love with it, and even said he wants to buy it. It was a genuine reflection of his opinion of the game, and it is a perfect example of someone who isn't exactly a regular user of rhythm games that plays The Beatles: Rock Band and is just blown away by it. It really put things in perspective for me because since I'm an avid Rock Band player, I tend to nitpick details with the genre and probably overanaylze things, but he got me to see it from his view: It's a game all about The Beatles and their music, so let's have a freaking good time!

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ZoomyRamen

Its a shame that in the U.K people seemed to appreciate Guitar hero 5 more. I certainly loved The Beatles : Rock Band, and i dont really usually mind the chart stuff but i dunno for some reason it hit a nerve. I just hope they dont see low sales and decide after Rubber Soul thats it for DLC. It's a brilliant game and I just hop its a slow burner and it's sales will pick up.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By A Likely Story

That would be disgraceful if they was no further DLC after Rubber Soul, but I'm positive they'll keep it coming; Harmonix wouldn't just abandon this work of art that they slaved over for so long. DLC will not come as often as Rock Band because of all the extra work with dreamscapes, animations, etc, but an album or large pack a month would satisfy me.

I'm not sure how the game has done in sales so far, though I bet it's done fairly well. Shame about the UK and GH5, though, especially considering The Beatles are from Liverpool.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

I couldn't believe that it was in at four below Batman a three week old game, when I went to buy the game  the shop assistant said to me "Rock band , oh thats like a rip off off guitar hero"...she also told me that I could play the drums in RB, it was pretty illuminating, and probably (despite a massive ad campaign) how most people feel towards RB in the UK and I guess  that probably goes back all the way to the first RB being delayed. 
    I see way more people on my friends list/players met from the UK  that played world tour than either rock band game. 

oh yeah and TB:RB is awe to the some I was worried I'd not care for a lot of the songs seeing as I am not fond of the later beatles stuff (and from playing the story I'm still not) but the vast majority of the songs some of which I knew like the back of my hand others not so much I just cannot seem to get out of my head since playing this. 

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Otacon
    @ZoomyRamen said:
    " Its a shame that in the U.K people seemed to appreciate Guitar hero 5 more. I certainly loved The Beatles : Rock Band, and i dont really usually mind the chart stuff but i dunno for some reason it hit a nerve. I just hope they dont see low sales and decide after Rubber Soul thats it for DLC. It's a brilliant game and I just hop its a slow burner and it's sales will pick up. "
    Trust me, this game will have no difficulty selling
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By A Likely Story
    @marioncobretti said:
    " I couldn't believe that it was in at four below Batman a three week old game, when I went to buy the game  the shop assistant said to me "Rock band , oh thats like a rip off off guitar hero"  "
    Holy crap, I can't believe there are still, after three years, people who know nothing about the chronology of Guitar Hero/Rock Band, especially someone who works at the damn shop!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.