Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Beatles: Rock Band

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Sep 09, 2009

Following the Rock Band formula, The Beatles: Rock Band immerses players into the shoes of the Fab Four as they progress through their career, featuring an exclusively Beatles theme and song list.

Hello Goodbye

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

Edited By DBoy

Well, 09.09.09 has come and gone. Yes, I got it. Yes, I played it. Yes, the game itself is absolutely mind-blowing. However, I sit at my desk, writing this rant / blog to you right now instead of playing it. Why is that? Read on.

Wednesday, at lunch, I went to the closest video game store, which is about a 10-15 minute walk from my job to there, to purchase The Beatles: Rock Band.  That's around 20-30 minutes coming and going, which left me about 10-15 minutes to eat. Anyway, I get there, buy the game with a huge smile on my face and happiness in my heart, and then make my way back to work in time for some Subway. At the end of the day, I make my way home, eat some dinner, and get on the X360 to play some Beatles goodness.

After watching the wonderful intro movie, I plug in my Turtle Beach headset into my controller and, after a few minutes calibrating my audio and video, I'm ready to rock. After selecting the Story mode, the game then informs me that no microphone is connected. I find this kind of weird, since I just connected my headset to my controller. So, I unplug everything and plug it back in. Same message. After a few minutes of swearing at the game and my headset, I decide to go and browse Rock Band's forums on their website to see if there is any information on this type of problem.

I come upon a thread about it and, after reading on, my face drops. The joy I felt during the day turned into frustration and anger. It seems that Harmonix has decided to alienate people who used their headsets to sing in previous games by completely abolishing them. Now, only USB microphones, or the Lips wireless microphones, will work. I would love to meet the person who came up with this brilliant idea and slap the living hell out of him or her. Some might say "Well, you know, people who will buy this type of game will already have USB microphones, so why are you complaining?" After reading some of the other post on forums around the web, including this very site, I can tell you that this is not entirely true. A lot of people still use their headsets to sing in music games, including me, and when Harmonix pulls this type of stunt, they forget about us, about those who don't have the money to purchase the entire boxed set of instruments.  That, to me, is unacceptable.

Nonetheless, now I'm going to buy Lips just so I can get those wireless microphones so I can play The Beatles: Rock Band, which means I'll probably have to skip on a title I wanted to get this year because of that. Although I'm tremendously pissed about this entire situation, I still enjoyed my time on the guitar with the game and cannot wait to sing through the story mode. One thing's for sure, this little misstep will affect my final review of The Beatles: Rock Band for sure. Check back soon for that.

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DBoy

Well, 09.09.09 has come and gone. Yes, I got it. Yes, I played it. Yes, the game itself is absolutely mind-blowing. However, I sit at my desk, writing this rant / blog to you right now instead of playing it. Why is that? Read on.

Wednesday, at lunch, I went to the closest video game store, which is about a 10-15 minute walk from my job to there, to purchase The Beatles: Rock Band.  That's around 20-30 minutes coming and going, which left me about 10-15 minutes to eat. Anyway, I get there, buy the game with a huge smile on my face and happiness in my heart, and then make my way back to work in time for some Subway. At the end of the day, I make my way home, eat some dinner, and get on the X360 to play some Beatles goodness.

After watching the wonderful intro movie, I plug in my Turtle Beach headset into my controller and, after a few minutes calibrating my audio and video, I'm ready to rock. After selecting the Story mode, the game then informs me that no microphone is connected. I find this kind of weird, since I just connected my headset to my controller. So, I unplug everything and plug it back in. Same message. After a few minutes of swearing at the game and my headset, I decide to go and browse Rock Band's forums on their website to see if there is any information on this type of problem.

I come upon a thread about it and, after reading on, my face drops. The joy I felt during the day turned into frustration and anger. It seems that Harmonix has decided to alienate people who used their headsets to sing in previous games by completely abolishing them. Now, only USB microphones, or the Lips wireless microphones, will work. I would love to meet the person who came up with this brilliant idea and slap the living hell out of him or her. Some might say "Well, you know, people who will buy this type of game will already have USB microphones, so why are you complaining?" After reading some of the other post on forums around the web, including this very site, I can tell you that this is not entirely true. A lot of people still use their headsets to sing in music games, including me, and when Harmonix pulls this type of stunt, they forget about us, about those who don't have the money to purchase the entire boxed set of instruments.  That, to me, is unacceptable.

Nonetheless, now I'm going to buy Lips just so I can get those wireless microphones so I can play The Beatles: Rock Band, which means I'll probably have to skip on a title I wanted to get this year because of that. Although I'm tremendously pissed about this entire situation, I still enjoyed my time on the guitar with the game and cannot wait to sing through the story mode. One thing's for sure, this little misstep will affect my final review of The Beatles: Rock Band for sure. Check back soon for that.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Systech

Man, I didn't know that. That really blows.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Shadow

Just buy a mic already.  They're not expensive and the headset sound quality (coming and going) is pure shit compared to an actual mic (even a cheap one).

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DBoy
    @Shadow: That's exactly what I'll do, thanks for the advice.  Now, Harmonix has a job for you.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By delta_ass

Yea, that is pretty shitty.

Time to go google Harmonix. You bring the fertilizer, I'll rent the truck.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By DJ_Lae
    @Shadow said:
    " Just buy a mic already.  They're not expensive and the headset sound quality (coming and going) is pure shit compared to an actual mic (even a cheap one). "

That's not really the point, though, especially with this game's harmony feature that allows three people to sing. What if you want to sing and play an instrument at the same time? Before it was easy with a headset, now you need a mic stand - purchased or makeshift. 

Either way, it's an annoyance. 

And the mic's quality matters little as it never becomes an issue in the game.
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

That's an odd move on their part, singers are hard enough to find online these days, why would they want to alienate that small group even more? I'm hoping Harmonix isn't becoming too greedy....

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Dude,that sucks total cereal.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Stupid corporates...

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By dj

Because I never sing, I would never encounter this problem. I'm just wondering why they would take it out? It's not like any extra work has to be done.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24

I had a microphone in the first place so I didn't run into this problem. Still, it is annoying for those who don't; I feel why you are frustrated. I loved singing in the game and I thought it had the best vocal parts of any game I have played mainly because it is the freakin Beatles. It sucks that you have to get another piece of hardware to play it but I am sure you will enjoy it.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Sorry to hear about the problems with the mic, but I am absolutely loving this game.  I played through the story and have done quite a bit of drums, guitar, and bass.  The music is great and the dreamscapes are fantastic.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Phished0ne

That does suck....i'm going to need to get a new mic here soon,  mine's starting to buzz after a few years of people wrapping the cord around their hands and shit.  Thank god that i can just get a fairly cheap usb mic and not have to buy a special "Rock band" one.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Bruce

Ah, after school I think I'll pick it up and jump on this band wagon.

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By darro

Oh so that's the reason you got Lips.  I think that is quite annoying indeed though.  Its been fun playing with you on it nonetheless these past few days.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Maybe a forthcoming software update will allow your Turtle Beach and other 3rd party compatibility with the game? Harmonix seems llke a stand up company to me, I don't think it was an intentional decision to push peripheral sales...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.