Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

A third-person, squad-based, tactical game that recounts humanity's first contact with aliens during the Cold War in the 1960s, and the subsequent founding of the XCOM organization.

Are you excited for The Bureau: XCOM Declassified?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Poll Are you excited for The Bureau: XCOM Declassified? (137 votes)

A1. Yes 36%
    A2. No 12%
    B1. I played XCOM: Enemy Unknown 6%
    B2. I played XCOM: UFO Defense 0%
    C1. I'm excited for the real-time combat 1%
    C2. I'm curious about the real-time combat 4%
    C3. I'm pissed about the real-time combat 0%
    C4. I'm indifferent about the real-time combat 0%
    D5. The tactical options seem robust 0%
    D6. The tactical options seem thin 0%
    D7. What tactical options? 0%
    D8. I don't know anything about the game really 2%
    E1. I am buying it day one 5%
    E2. I am buying it, but later on, maybe on sale 8%
    E3. I need to read a review/watch a quick look/letfirst 18%
    E4. I don't know if I'll buy it or not 8%
     • 
    GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol.

This was supposed to be a multi check poll.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

After watching some gameplay of this footage. It didn't do nothing to impress me. It looks like a functional shooter, but it seems generic to me. So I chose I don't know if I'll buy it or not...

Loading Video...
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BaneFireLord

It looks like a game I'll pick up on Steam for 7.50 in next year's Summer Sale. From the gameplay I've seen, it looks solid and pretty fun, but far from a $60, launch day stripe of solidity and fun.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The QLEX pretty much finished off any lingering hope I had for this game. They've just taken the combat from ME2/3 and... well, that's it really.

It's obvious they just had to get something out the door, and this was all that could realistically be achieved with the time they had left. It's like there's a whole other half of the game missing.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like a game I'll pick up on Steam for 7.50 in next year's Summer Sale. From the gameplay I've seen, it looks solid and pretty fun, but far from a $60, launch day stripe of solidity and fun.

Yeah. I might pay 15 but certainly not full price. The tactical commnads stuff looks neat but nothing is really standing out to me as a feature that screams must-play.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo said:

It's obvious they just had to get something out the door, and this was all that could realistically be achieved with the time they had left. It's like there's a whole other half of the game missing.

Also, they took way too many lunch breaks and had a high intake of sodium in their diets. I could totally tell by the colour scheme.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShadyPingu

More curious than excited, I guess. The seeming lack of a base-building metagame is frankly disappointing: I expect a more robust gameplay loop in an XCom game, but who knows, maybe pinching pennies and managing panic levels doesn't belong in the game they're making. Which leaves me, again, wondering if this real-time game was a good idea in the first place.

I'd like to see what they've done with it, but probably not for full price.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

@kittyvondoom: I could tell there was a lack of game by the lack of game. Radically overhauling the game multiple times during development seems the most likely reason for that.

Biting satire though, well done.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Based on the quick look I thought it looked cool.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pr1mus

I'm reasonably interested in some "taction".

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By morningstar

I became excited after the quick look. Looks promising.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice poll options. It looks moderately interesting and I really liked Freedom Fighters back in the day if it's just a better version of that system and/or Republic Commando I'm all for it. Would like if the storyline was good.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I would say interested, not excited.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@pr1mus said:

I'm reasonably interested in some "taction".

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was interested at first, then became uninterested when I saw the demo.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Budwyzer

The fact that the Steam Pre-order is offerent up ALL previous XCOM titles + another game + a DLC for preorder along with 10% off is why I'll buy it straight up. =D

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

nnnooo nnnooohh..

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No interest in anything this studio does again. Xcom EU was a disappointment for me. Far less than I expected from a game that took so long to produce.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No. It looks like mass effect, except without the parts that make mass effect good. I'm fine with the gunplay in ME, because it has the awesome story/roleplaying aspect.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

Not a fan of squad based games that aren't turned based strategy but it looks ok enough that I might pick it up later on.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Seppli

I look forward to the reviews. If it reviews well, and I like what I'm hearing, I'll give it a go. Not yet sure if there's a window of opportunity for it between now and the release of GTA V though. Due to PS+ and buying a Vita (as well as a handful of PSP classic that were on sale on PSN) I have an evergrowing backlog of great games I want to spend time with.

If I'm supposed to get it full price day 1, it has its work cut out for itself. I love XCOM, so its definitely in the realm of the possible.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hans_maulwurf

I was when it was still a fps about shooting blob monsters with shotguns in a 50s setting. Now the only appealing thing about it is the main character. The rest looks clumsy and boring to me, like most tactical shooters these days.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Visitting my wife at her military base across the country from where we normally live so I'm going to have to rent it. Would've bought it if I was home though, a rental will probably be more than enough though

JNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JNSK

Interested, but not particularly excited. I guess we'll see once the reviews hit, that seems like a game that could go either way.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I had this on pre-order but just canceled. Still interested but concerned about the lack of reviews with less than 24hrs to US release. Rarely a good sign...

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Missacre

Yes, yes I am. I'm waiting for it to unlock on Steam so I can start playing already! It's gonna be a busy week what with XCOM and SR4 coming out in a few hours.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By winsord

The QLEX kind of sold me on it, but a big part of my purchase admittedly had to do with how cheap I was getting it. From coupons and credit, I was able to get Declassified and Saints Row IV together for $60 total, so I figured it'd be worth getting even just to quell my curiosity. Between the two I spent like $33 on it, but because of the discount it gave me on Saints Row I'll justify it as having spent $15 and be happy with it no matter what. I also was able to give my pre-order copy of Spec Ops to a friend and traded the X-Com Collection for a copy of FF7 (worth $12 on Steam), so I feel like I've made that money back already. Throw in potential cards from Saints Row IV and The Bureau and it's like I'm making money! That's how that works, right?

I'm sure the game will be totally fine from just a third person shooter standpoint, but the pseudo Full Spectrum Warrior tactics is what really made me interested, especially when tied in with permideath. I'm sure it won't be that hardcore, and I don't necessarily want it to be, but I think that having impactful death could be a really neat mechanic for a third-person shooter. I like the X-Com universe well enough and its general atmosphere, so I kind of figured the story will be worth seeing through as well. Even though I could technically start playing this tomorrow, I'll probably be too engrossed in Saints Row IV for the next few days to be playing much else, but maybe this will be a pleasant surprise me and hook me.

Can't really say I care about how it reviews though, I get the feeling the things that are drawing me to it personally won't necessarily be as important to others.

RyenDeckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RyenDeckard

I was pretty excited about this game, and then I realized that it has a launch day review embargo. A destructoid review leaked for a few minutes and apparently it got a 4.5/10.

With so much other stuff coming out today, I'm going to wait.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Budwyzer

Downloading it now. Very excited to GTFO of work.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like what mass effect should have been (combat wise) but i'm worried about the concept of perma-death. I mean what if i have a fully leveled up squad towards the end of the game, hit a difficulty spike and lose all my dudes, will i be forced to try again with under-leveled soldiers?

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By winsord

@ryendeckard said:

I was pretty excited about this game, and then I realized that it has a launch day review embargo. A destructoid review leaked for a few minutes and apparently it got a 4.5/10.

"Rating: 4.5/10 - ‎Review by Jim Sterling"

I don't know about you, but when it's a Destructoid review and by Jim Sterling, I don't put much stock in it. His scores are almost always extreme and they end up being all over the place. He's not really anything to gauge general perception by. Not saying it's necessarily going to review super well otherwise, but I'd at least wait on a couple of other reviews to see how the waters are.

Edit: I feel like I should clarify this before I'm chastised for it. Just wanted to say that Jim tends to have what I find to be very hyperbolic reviews, and he seems to let more minor elements ruin games for him. He gave Two Worlds 2 an 8/10 and Deadly Premonition a 10/10, which while I loved that game (DP, definitely not TW2), I certainly don't think it merits that. He also lowballs games, like Vanquish at 5/10 and Witcher 2 at 6/10. Obviously it's all down personal opinion, and people can agree/disagree if they'd like, but I think by most peoples' standards he seems to delve too much into hyperbole and ends up with 'controversial', extreme scores. Opinions!

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JohnTunoku

No. It looks like mass effect, except without the parts that make mass effect good. I'm fine with the gunplay in ME, because it has the awesome story/roleplaying aspect.

Exactly my impression. Like ME set in the fifties with none of the interesting aliens or politics and even worse gunplay.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By breadfan

I'll probably check it out sometime down the road. If anything hearing all this XCOM news makes me want to play some more Enemy Unknown.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@oursin_360: Yep. That's what would happen.. Happened to me more than once in Xcom.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.