Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

A third-person, squad-based, tactical game that recounts humanity's first contact with aliens during the Cold War in the 1960s, and the subsequent founding of the XCOM organization.

I'm confused... Who exactly is developing XCOM?

lockeyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By lockeyness

From what I hear, it's 2K Marin, but not the entirety of 2K Marin.  According to 1UP, there are developers in the previously-defunct Australian studio.  So, it's not "2K Australia", but a new branch of 2K Marin.  It's also not developed by Irrational, which makes me wonder how Ken Levine feels about giving up the franchise.  Is this an entirely new studio under the 2K banner?  And why can't 2K Games sort their development teams out like any normal publisher?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I'm pretty sure it's the same team that did Bioshock 2... I could be wrong though.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By AuthenticM

Not Ken Levine. That's pretty much all there is to know.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I played the hell out of the first X-Com. I even had the last alien base so well memorized that I could fire one of those controlable missiles, direct it to the alien brain (or what ever that thing was) and clear the base with only firing one shot.

lockeyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By lockeyness
    @xyzygy said:
    " I'm pretty sure it's the same team that did Bioshock 2... I could be wrong though. "
    From what I can tell, the BioShock 2 team is located in California, but the XCOM developers are in Australia.  Two different studios, as far as I know.  It may not be important as the game seems to have struck a nerve in the gaming community, just like Bethesda did with Fallout 3, but Bethesda is Bethesda.
    NumbThumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6  Edited By NumbThumb

It's technically 2K Marin. 

However, the team making XCOM is the team in Australia, whose members did a large amount of work on Bioshock 2, with 2K Marin. Some of the members from Marin are now working with 2K Australia. However, the main leads at 2K Marin remain working on other projects, namely Bioshock 2 DLC, and possible Bioshock 3.

Confusing?

Yes. Basically, 2K Marin has a more recognizable name, but it's only a portion of members from that team working on XCOM.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Andorski

2K Australia, which has been renamed 2K Marin, which is a name of another 2K in-house studio.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.