Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

A third-person, squad-based, tactical game that recounts humanity's first contact with aliens during the Cold War in the 1960s, and the subsequent founding of the XCOM organization.

Wait, So is This Game Like Mass Effect?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RonGalaxy

It sure seems like it from the QL. Hub where you choose your destinations, party members, dialogue trees. Hell, the actually combat is straight up ripped from mass effect. So, am I right in this assessment, and does that make it a better game than I initially thought it would be??? Even if it isn't, I'll probably pick it up (eventually; probably in the bargain bin) out of curiosity

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Sin4profit

I'm only 3 hours in but my take on it so far is that it's like a low rent Mass Effect, at best ( i didn't like Mass Effect so take that as you may ). One thing that Mass Effect does well is establishing the characters you roll with, giving them backstory so you'd actually care about them if they died, this game doesn't do that at all. You just recruit ( Generate at will ) a collection of random "back -up dudes" and there doesn't even seem to be a resource associated with recruitment, so it's a completely pointless mechanic.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Sterling

It is Mass Effect-ish, but it does not actually play exactly like Mass Effect. From my five hours thus far into the game, I would says its a great combination of Enemy Unknown mashed into Mass Effect style gameplay. So if you liked both of those games, you should like this one. I am having a blast.

I think the game is fantastic. I am playing on the PS3 and I am not having any of the frame rate issues they had in the quick look.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They can't develop the squad members, because of X-COM's hallmark permadeath. I'm sure having a well developed character die would mean a whole lot more than a randomly generated mook, but if you were playing poorly, eventually you'd just be playing with random dudes anyway.

Less "like mass effect" and more like mass effect 3 multiplayer. Which is why its a damn shame this game has no co-op.

But I think the big draw for me, is the fact that it's X-COM. Lot of backstory for the strategy game in here.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It plays kind of like Mass Effect, but it's definitely not the same. Squad members aren't really developed at all. They are like Squad members from XCOM where you can customize how they look, and even name them yourself if you want. Any attachment you have for them will be because of the time you spent playing with them and ordering them around. There is also much more of an emphasis on ordering your squad around then Mass Effect has. While in Mass Effect you usually just bring up the combat wheel and select what ability to use, in The Bureau you'll want to position your squad a lot more to flank enemies or set up ambushes and then force the enemy out of cover.

Just because the squadmates don't have much personality doesn't mean you won't become attached to them. They still have names, level up how you choose and you'll feel like you have a shared experience with them. It's very similar to XCOM:EU in that regard.

The game definitely has it's issues, but if you do enjoy some squad based tactics mixed in with your shooting then check it out.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

It seemed very reminiscent from the quick look. I don't think that's a bad thing though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.