Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Curse of Monkey Island

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 31, 1997

The Curse of Monkey Island is a point and click adventure game from LucasArts. It is the third game in the Monkey Island series and features the swashbuckling theme, eccentric puzzles, and humor that the series is known for.

Available digitally!

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I saw and immediately bought this on Steam (its also on GOG). This was my first Monkey Island and also my favorite.

It makes me so happy to see this is now available for many people to play. Until now you had to have the original disc which is very hard to find.

The only thing weird is that each version uses scummVM to run and the graphics have not been touched at all so it can look odd on today’s monitors. But this is one of LucasArts best and it’s so cool it’s available again.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Bought it as soon as I saw it appear on Gog. I'm not that far in, but I'm digging it so far.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By alexl86

I got a mail about it from GOG and checked Steam just to be sure. I had the first two remasters and got 25% off Curse by buying the bundle on Steam. I’m traveling, but can’t wait to play it sometime next week!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5 fisk0  Moderator

Yeah, stocked up on Monkey Island and Close Combat games on GOG today. Is it 1998 again?

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I was also pretty happy to see this pop up. This is my favorite game in the series for sure and it was a real bummer that up until now nobody could get it without piracy or owning a long out of print disc.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The secret best Monkey Island game! The art style is so awesome.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Guess I'm gonna play through the original trilogy again.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice! Curse is my favorite of the series.

Always nice to see GOG still putting out, well, good old games. I'm always afraid that they'll abandon that angle completely.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the look & feel of Curse is my favorite in the series but Escape is actually my most memorable Monkey Island game in terms of specific sequences that stuck with me (outside of the original, that is).

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guybrush: You're about as fearsome as an doorstop"
    Murray: Is it a really evil looking doorstop?"

Murray: And the forces of darkness will applaud me as I stride through the Gates of Hell – carrying your head on a pike!

Guybrush: “Stride”?

Murray: All right then, roll! Roll through the Gates of Hell! ... must you take the fun out of everything?

Damm Murray The Demonic Skull has to be one of my farvorite character :)

I still remember the day I bought this when I was a kid, my dad and I where going to a Exhibition with some of his machines from his company and I usually tagged along with him, and he drove the Truck around the City, just so I could hurry into to my local gameshop to pick up The newest Monkey Island game, I then sat in the back of the Truck just reading the little manual back and forth, and looked at the drawings, I was not coming home untill the end of the weekend, But I just could not wait to buy the game :)

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Keirgo

https://youtu.be/_Qkk9K4zKoI <-- My reaction to hearing it was coming to Steam. :D

Curse is my favorite game in one of my all time favorite series. We first got it for Christmas growing up, and was my first where I was old enough to play it on my own. I have so many fond memories of it, I just love everything about it, the art, the characters, the setting. Specially the setting, I believe it may be the source for my fondness of pirates and that era of the Caribbean.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Greatest point-and-click ever made.

Also, by fucking far, the funniest game ever made.

It even has a great soundtrack and great art. The ship battle mini-game should be the obligatory bad part, but it's actually kinda fun.

What wormhole did all these brilliant people fall into after making Curse?

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saturdaynightspecials: Early-2000s LucasArts, that's what wormhole.

This is the game that actually made good on the whole insult-swordfighting idea. In the first game the idea was great but the insults were so lame. Curse's were top notch all the way, and rhymed to boot. That whole sequence alone is worth five bucks.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m so excited about this. Monkey Island was the only game/games I played for a long time.

But I seem to be the only one who has this game fourth in their top five Monkey Island games.

LeChuck’s Revenge

Secret

Escape

Curse

Tales

I think I’m just strange...

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By corporalgregg

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo! and easily one of my favourite games of all time and also the first Monkey Island I played so it'll always be the best one to me. I crack up just thinking about that damn tofu mask...

And if you ask me, door hinge does rhyme with orange! Papapishu!

Oh, and while I agree that Murray the demonic skull is one of the greatest video game characters of all time, may I also offer:

No Caption Provided

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corporalgregg:

Captain Le Chimp! :)

I also really loved to mess with the Lemonade Boy, and his business, that little bastard.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Might give this a shot. I know this isn't one of Ron Gilbert's games, but after beating Thimbleweed Park I'd like to play more adventure games at some point and play at least AN entry in a series Gilbert created (even if he didn't make this one).

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always loved the visuals and humour in this, but never did play it to completion. Once I get an itch to play some adventure games again, this'll be on top of the list.

Now when do we get Discworld Noir, I wonder...

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greatest point-and-click ever made.

Also, by fucking far, the funniest game ever made.

It even has a great soundtrack and great art. The ship battle mini-game should be the obligatory bad part, but it's actually kinda fun.

What wormhole did all these brilliant people fall into after making Curse?

This was the first Monkey game post Ron Gilbert so most of the senior guys stuck with LucasArts but I believe you can find some of their talent at Telltale Games. And of course Tim Schafer has DoubleFine but I don't really know if he was around after Grim Fandango.

SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wandrecanada: I just haven't seen that level of humor in any of Double Fine or Telltale's games (admittedly I didn't play Tales of MI because nothing about it intrigued me). Costume Quest was quite funny, but that wasn't Schafer's game.

And I love Ron Gilbert-era Monkey Island too, but the less said about DeathSpank, the better.

Jonathan Ackley was a project lead and writer on Curse, but has no other credits since. Maybe he left video games or died or something?

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: Haha, true.

Yo. Jon. If you're out there, I will pay upwards of $200 to your Kickstarter game if you make one. Fuck Disney, they're obviously wasting you.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone heard of any plans to get Escape from Monkey Island on Steam? We’ve just marathoned the first three games and it would be nice to play the fourth without dusting off the PS2.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fledeye: It would be great if Doublefine could take a crack at a remaster, like they did with Grim Fandango - since both use the grimE engine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.