Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Darkness II

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Return to the dark life of Jackie Estacado in The Darkness II, Digital Extremes' sequel to the 2007 shooter by Starbreeze.

What would you like to see in the sequel?

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By clubsandwich

Personally, I'd love more Darkness powers, maybe flashbacks, if in a way they could get Jenny back again as part of the story to save her from hell or something like that.

what about you guys?
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By iamjohn

Bad news, dood - Starbreeze just said a couple days ago that it's highly unlikely that there's going to be a sequel. :(

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Lies
    iAmJohn said:
    "Bad news, dood - Starbreeze just said a couple days ago that it's highly unlikely that there's going to be a sequel. :("
    Which begs the question, why does this page exist?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By jakob187

"Highly unlikely" and "never gonna happen" are very different statements, and especially in the gaming world.  I remember when "highly unlikely" was attached to the words "Beyond Good & Evil 2".  = P

As for what I'd like to see:  better aiming and hit detection, and tougher AI.  Other than that, the game was amazing and featured one of the most heart-breaking moments in gaming history.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kush

I would be very surprised to see a sequel to the Darkness. I loved the game and if it got a sequel I would really just want more of what made the original so great...and for Starbreeze to either just do SP, or spend equal time on a MP mode. Though I would much rather it have no MP at all.

Avatar image for radical_little_girl
    Radical_little_Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

iAmJohn said:
    "Bad news, dood - Starbreeze just said a couple days ago that it's highly unlikely that there's going to be a sequel. :("
    I find that to be a lie. It has been worked on since the end of Darkness 1. Therefore would most likely be a lie. They probably said that so that they could have more time to make it without rushing. Or that they might be restarting the whole thing to make it with the Unreal Engine v3. Which is now, by far, the best game engine ever.

I think that they will still make it. In the game, I would REALLY like to see more powers, some more achievements (xbox) and more control over the Darkness. (Would've been great for the scene where Jenny died, (which I was she didn't.)

I would also LOVE to see Jenny come back somehow. She didn't do anything, and didn't deserve to die.

They should also add an alternate ending for something secret that you would be able to do.

I miss Jenny, I liked her. She was cool. I liked how she looked too.

I would also like to see better graphics (Not saying that the graphics for the first game were bad, they really weren't) and a better effect for the ragdoll physics.

I would also like the best able to Run and/or drive something.

Also, more characters t interact with and more side missions.

And some REAL looking gore, not the crappy looking gore they had in the first one. (Only bad part, the gore wasn't really that great)

But my main thing I would like to see, is Jenny come back.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
    PEOPLE, YOU NEED TO START INCLUDING A FUCKING "SPOILER" THING IN YOUR DAMN FORUM COMMENTS!!!  SITE RULES!!!  There are people that may not have played the game, and here you are giving away THE best part of the game's story!!!  UGH!!!

************************SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT**********************

Radical...if they made the game you are looking for...then they would be betraying everything that the brand name stands for.  Yes, Jenny died.  Yes, she was innocent.  THAT'S THE POINT!!!  She was innocent.  That was The Darkness taking away the one thing Jackie loved.  Jackie didn't control the Darkness.  He didn't get a choice in the matter.  Jenny will never come back, guaranteed.  The only way that would happen is in some form of ghost-type way or memory or whenever Jackie dies and he'll get to see her, but at the end of the first game...that's supposed to be the last time he sees her technically.
    Also, why would you want MORE Darkness powers?  There were plenty there.  Hell, you played with Darkness powers more than you ever ended up using your guns!!!  If anything, they need to make a more solid balance between gunplay and Darkness play, and they really need to make better use of the Darklings imo.  Most of the time, they were for very specific uses, which I hate in games.  Give me some multi-purpose uses, as well as far more use for them in combat.

I don't want to be able to drive anything, and I don't really care if I can run or not.  I want a more populated world more than anything, first off.  That's my biggest qualm with the game.  I also want to see Starbreeze completely drop multiplayer from the game.  You don't need multiplayer for this.  Didn't need it for Bioshock, that's for damn sure.  Yes, both would offer some creative MP options...but I don't want them.  I want a strong focus on the gameplay and the story.

The graphics were fine.  The character modeling, however, can easily leave the original Xbox era.  Everyone felt stiff with bad animations.

The biggest thing they need to do is up the gunplay.  More enemies, bigger gunfights.  The church scene was a great part.

In short, there is a lot they need to FIX about the game first before they start adding shit in.  If they did add anything in, it needs to be a bigger outside world to venture in, population to that world, and balance out the focus between gunplay and Darkness powers.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

Things that need to be fixed...

• Replayability. It was tough for me to even go through a second time on the harder difficulty (for the achievement) simply because I was so bored.
    • Animations. They lacked a lot of "next-gen" animations, such as having characters actually physically open the door.
    • Character models need work. My favorite graphics were those of your Darkness allies.
    • Decent MP that has no lag? They still have not patched the original.
    • Shadows. The Darkness had shadows that looked cheesy similar to F.E.A.R. and Prey. A minor annoyance to me.

Pretty must just polish the game before it's released. I'd play a sequel if there was one, though.
    Radical_little_Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, yeah, some of the things I want, won't be able to happen.

Although, I really wish they could find a way to bring Jenny back. I liked her.

I would really like the running though, cause I hate having to walk as slow as he does.  Run would help get to places quicker, and also duck for cover faster. That would be a good thing. I would like to see a bigger variety of weapons though. 

Also, they should fix up some of the characters. Like the way Jackie's hair moved when you did. Sure, you don't see it unless you are in front of a mirror, but still. Also better animations.
    Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Win

If they made a sequel it would be cool if they had...

- A better antagonist. Not to say Uncle Paulie was a bad villain, but it would be cool to see the final boss have powers that can match Jackie's.
    - More Abilities.
    - If they are going to have so many load times they should at least have more variety in the load time cutscenes. I remember hearing Jackie talk about some speeding Taxi wayyy to many times.
    - WW1 started to get a little old, a bit more variety in the flashbacks would be nice. 

Radical_little_Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Win said:
    "If they made a sequel it would be cool if they had...

- A better antagonist. Not to say Uncle Paulie was a bad villain, but it would be cool to see the final boss have powers that can match Jackie's.
    - More Abilities.
    - If they are going to have so many load times they should at least have more variety in the load time cutscenes. I remember hearing Jackie talk about some speeding Taxi wayyy to many times.
    - WW1 started to get a little old, a bit more variety in the flashbacks would be nice. "

Yeah, every time I went to the subway I heard about the taxi ride.
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By clubsandwich
    Kush said:
    "I would be very surprised to see a sequel to the Darkness. I loved the game and if it got a sequel I would really just want more of what made the original so great...and for Starbreeze to either just do SP, or spend equal time on a MP mode. Though I would much rather it have no MP at all."
    Yeah they should omit the MP if it's going to be so shitty, besides, The Darkness is a game that you play because of it's story, not the MP, imo that is.
    palm_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By palm_

I haven't actually played the first game yet, i must admit,  but i just ordered it, so it should drop down in my mail box in like two days.
    Something that  I would believe would be really nice, would be:
    Making the game a little more like Prince of Persia, like the wall-running/puzzle to get from point A to point B. I really like that feature in the PoP games, and I would like to see them in a couple of more games, and I think that The Darkness would look really bad-ass. A way to go around the thing with fps running on walls be kinda hard, they could add a button to be able to switch between fps and tps, or make the camera auto switch

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Drebin_893
    Good Gameplay

Zing.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OmegaPirate

More cowbell

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I want two things and two things only.

The first is a greater emphasis on stealth.  I got the feeling the enemy AI didn't notice the Creeping Dark when it was right beside them, but it was almost impossible to sneak up on enemies without their knowing of your presence. 

The second?  A fucking sprint button.  I will break the disc if I have to roam the streets of New York again at a painful saunter.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Sin4profit
    Drebin_893 said:
    "Good GameplayZing."
    Agreed...I was disappointed by The Darkness. What Starbreeze does really well is immerse you in the environment and the story. What they don't do well is shooting gameplay.

With that said they'd do well to focus on a more RPG like element...story/ character focused, which was sorta there in the first game, they just need to flesh it out better.
    The real joy of this sequel would be goin around and playing with the superpowers you already have...So, maybe a more open ended sandbox kinda game (but ya can say they about most fps game really) Just give the player all kindsa superpowers (grapling hook tenticals and what have you) and let them make their own fun.

Lastly, and probably most realisticly, I think you should be able to play directly as the darklings when you summon them. This'll give more oportunity to add some pluzzley elements to the game that you feel more directly involved in and also give the darklings some value in the game, i only brought them out for the few times i needed them..other then that they felt kinda worthless.
    IncipitOmega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IncipitOmega

Better multiplayer...otheriwse the first was perfect.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @jakob187 said:
    " "Highly unlikely" and "never gonna happen" are very different statements, and especially in the gaming world.  I remember when "highly unlikely" was attached to the words "Beyond Good & Evil 2".  = P"
    Beyond Good & Evil 2 actually happening continues to be highly unlikely.
    popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By popmasterruler

Kirk Acvedo to return as Jackie.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

To not have Jackie as the protagonist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.