Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Deadly Tower of Monsters

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jan 19, 2016

A satirical action-adventure game themed after a 1950s sci-fi movie.

Deadly Tower of Monsters- Early Impressions

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brackstone

So yeah, this game came out, and seems to have flown under the radar. For those who don't know, this game's premise is that it's the dvd commentary for a terrible sci-fi movie from the 60s/70s. So the gameplay is the movie, and the (super sleazy) director provides his commentary for the "dvd release". It's made by Ace Team, most famous for Zeno Clash. Here's the launch trailer:

So far I've made it maybe, half way up the tower (that's just a guess). I've had two boss fights, about 3 hours in. It's really good, and really funny, as it's made me legitimately laugh a few times, which doesn't happen often. It really nails it's aesthetic, and runs with it.

In terms of gameplay, it has a nice balance of melee and ranged combats. It really isn't anything terribly special, and it has it's janky moments, usually involving being unable to attack or grappling with an uncooperative camera, but it's still pretty fun. Also, the conceit of having a tower, that you can just jump off at any time, works really well, especially with the teleport system. It makes all the easter eggs and collectible a lot more interesting to get. Sometimes you need power-ups from later in the game to unlock stuff you saw early on, but that's only happened a few times so far.

At it's early discounted price, so far I'd definitely recommend it. I doubt it's going to be a very long game, and I wouldn't say it has a ton of replayability from what I've seen so far, but damn if I'm not having fun with it.

Anyone else playing it?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thank you for making this thread, as I had no idea this game existed. This sounds awesome!

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By crcruz3

I finished it yesterday and I think it's great. I had a lot of fun. I'm a huge fan of the Zenoclash series and of the ACE Team.

I'd love a Quick Look.

Enjoy!

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I bought it as soon as I finished the demo, got about as far as the op and have been having a ton of fun. Definitely worth the price and the style&comentary are just lovely imo. Looking/shooting/ jumping down the tower is also way more fun as a game-mechanic than I'd expected.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished it last night, final time was 5 hours and 40 minutes, I did a decent amount of exploring, but did less as the game went on. It never ceased being funny, and it's definitely worth the full price, and is a steal with the first week discount. Sadly there's no new game plus or post game, but I'll probably load up my last save so I can explore some more, or just jump off the top of the tower a few times.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

For some reason, I initially thought it was an adventure game. I'm definitely more interested now that I poked around some more at what it is.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Oh shit, this is the new ACE Team? Looks good!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Thanks for the post. I had not seen about this game. Looks interesting. I still always love dual joystick shooters. Don't find them overdone, especially when they add more interesting elements onto the formula.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By dazzhardy

When I saw Atlus were publishing this, I got REALLY hopefuly that it would star these guys, and I'm kinda bummed out that it doesn't. DLC Maybe ?

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When I saw Atlus were publishing this, I got REALLY hopefuly that it would star these guys, and I'm kinda bummed out that it doesn't. DLC Maybe ?

Short lived heroes. O7

I wish they were recurring characters instead of those prism rangers.

Avatar image for gratefuldead207
    gratefuldead207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good first impressions, Iv put in about six hours and Im really enjoying it!

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sweetz

Starting played this last night after finishing Tomb Raider. As big fan of MST3K, I find the game to be a delight and I really hope @vinny plays it - it seems like the sort of thing he would love from a production perspective and I would love to hear him talk about it. It's clear that a lot of heart went into replicating the style of 1950/60s B-movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.