Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Apr 06, 2011

The follow-up title to Xbox Live Arcade's The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai features two single-player campaigns, a co-op campaign, and more undead ninja action.

this is pretty good but there doesnt seem to be much buzz

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By buft

I only played for a while but the combat is lots of fun and there seems to be a ton of content for 800 pts. it seems wierd that there isnt a lot of people talking about this.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cube

I didn't even know there was a sequel to The Dishwasher.

Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Malphye
    @Cube: Never even heard of a game called The Dishwasher and I consider myself a gamer thats in the loop!
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By louiedog
    @Delphye said:
    " @Cube: Never even heard of a game called The Dishwasher and I consider myself a gamer thats in the loop! "
    The first one got quite a bit of press, mostly because of the development story. It was essentially made by one guy. He won the Microsoft Dream-Build-Play contest which got him an XBLA publishing contract and $10K. It was a pretty good game but punishingly difficult. There's even an achievement in this one that takes a jab at reviewers who criticized the first one for being too hard. I've been having a lot of fun with the sequel so far, although I've heard the difficult ramps up after the part I'm on now.
    Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Malphye
    @louiedog: After watching the quick look, I might end up buying it. Its crazy in a way I can support.
    drmadhatten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By drmadhatten

I played the trial. Pretty sure I'm going to buy it. I agree though. It's got a great soundtrack and atmosphere, but no one seems to be talking about it.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By buft
    @DrMadHatten said:
    " I played the trial. Pretty sure I'm going to buy it. I agree though. It's got a great soundtrack and atmosphere, but no one seems to be talking about it. "
    oh man i hear that, the soundtrack is amazing, it just keeps ramping up and it gets me real hyper and violent(in game)
    CitizenSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By CitizenSlug

I had heard of the first game in the past, but never really cared to see what it was about. Once I saw the Quick Look for this one I was sold. The art style appeals to me, the combat is fun, and the executions are oddly EXTREMELY satisfying.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By HadesTimes

XBLA games are pretty hard to hype.  That's really the main thing wrong with the whole system. Both XBLA and PSN.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I kinda wanted to buy the first one, but the demo was too hard. I don't mind a challenge, but I also like playing games that I can actually beat. 

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By yoshimitz707
    @MooseyMcMan: There is an easy mode, you know?
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Shadow
    @yoshimitz707 said:
    " @MooseyMcMan: There is an easy mode, you know? "
    If you die enough (like 5-10 times), you unlock a mode where you're invincible.
    Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
    RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

i thought it looked amazing after watching the quick look

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By buft
    @HadesTimes said:
    " XBLA games are pretty hard to hype.  That's really the main thing wrong with the whole system. Both XBLA and PSN. "
    what do you mean? 
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By craigbo180

Yeah I was hoping Ryan might actually review this because it seems to be getting a lot of good scores in all the reviews I've seen and everyone seems to like it.

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hashy

This game is the best thing on XBLA. Seriously. 800 points, full campaign coop, mission modes, the best 2D brawler gameplay imaginable. The cheap art style belies one of the best games of the past 12 months; that and the pretty high difficulty are what stands in the way of mass hype I think. People can handle the high difficulty of Super Meat Boy because it's obvious why you're failing, every time. A brawler can be much more ambiguous in that sense, even a fantastically designed one.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By project343

TeamXbox (91):

Overall I'm not just impressed with the game as it's presented, but I'm also impressed knowing that one guy did pretty much all of it. That blows me away as I'm sure it will do to you too when you get a true feeling of the style, the story, the over-the-top action and replayability that lies beyond the opening menu. 

Gamespot (90):

Grimly gorgeous and violently entertaining, The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile is one of the finest games released so far this year. 

Joystiq (90):
    A brilliantly executed, whirling dervish of a game that all but demands to be ripped open and played to death. Grab your kitty-cat, gas up your chainsaw-arm and sharpen your blades. It's gonna be a bloodbath.

Critics and press are talking. Not these forums.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By Icemael

Well... it's ugly and shallow.

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hashy

Mate, I couldn't agree more. It's shallow and frankly not up to standards in the looks department *is ironically a castlevania fan*

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yoshimitz707

I think it looks really nice.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mazik765
    @buft said:
    " @DrMadHatten said:
    " I played the trial. Pretty sure I'm going to buy it. I agree though. It's got a great soundtrack and atmosphere, but no one seems to be talking about it. "
    oh man i hear that, the soundtrack is amazing, it just keeps ramping up and it gets me real hyper and violent(in game) "
    The soundtrack for the first game was great too. I still need to tough it out and beat the last two levels on Samurai difficulty :/
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Icemael
    @Hashy said:
    " Mate, I couldn't agree more. It's shallow and frankly not up to standards in the looks department *is ironically a castlevania fan* "
    Except most of the Castlevania games are gorgeous and play better than The Dishwasher.
    Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hashy
    @Icemael said:
    " @Hashy said:
    " Mate, I couldn't agree more. It's shallow and frankly not up to standards in the looks department *is ironically a castlevania fan* "
    Except most of the Castlevania games are gorgeous and play better than The Dishwasher. "
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hashy

Meanwhile, in reality: The Dishwasher is a slick, fun, modern action title created almost entirely by one individual and Castlevania is an aged animu relic that couldn't even survive the transition past the PSX generation.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Icemael
    @Hashy: Except for the part where of the more than twenty Castlevania games released since the series' beginning back in 1986, there have been exactly four with anime-styled art. Oh, and the part where the Castlevania series got its best installment three years ago, during the very generation we're in now. Oh, and the part where The Dishwasher looks like it was drawn by a seven-year-old who then added a bunch of shitty blur and has ridiculous air dashes during which you are invincible. Oh, and the part where barely anyone would care about it had it not been created almost entirely by one individual.
    Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hashy

Can't tell if you're talkin about Order of Ecclesia or Judgement here. They're both highly rated by delusional fans trying to justify their attachment to the franchise. Going through this list there isn't a SINGLE non-anime Castlevania either, so, welp.

SotN was a cool game, huh?

Invincibility frames are only cool if you are an anime.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Icemael

Judgment is a steaming heap of shit. Order of Ecclesia is polished, challenging, looks gorgeous and has a great soundtrack. Also, you clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about if you think Ayami Kojima's stuff or the stuff from the old-school Castlevania games is anime-styled. And invincibility frames are only cool when they aren't implemented in such a way that anyone can stay invincible 90% of the time while simultaneously warping to any part of the screen he wants. But perhaps that's what constitutes "slick, fun, modern" game design?

IT'S JAPANESE SO THEREFORE IT IS ANIME LOL MY DEDUCTIVE SKILLS ARE GREAT AMIRITE GUYS?
     IT'S JAPANESE SO THEREFORE IT IS ANIME LOL MY DEDUCTIVE SKILLS ARE GREAT AMIRITE GUYS?

IT SIMPLY DOES NOT GET MORE ANIME THAN THIS GUYS
     IT SIMPLY DOES NOT GET MORE ANIME THAN THIS GUYS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 

@Hashy said: 

" They're both highly rated by delusional fans trying to justify their attachment to the franchise. "

Who the fuck rated Judgment highly? Every fan I know despises it. Now Lords of Shadow, that's a mediocre game fans rate highly (though mainly because it has Hideo Kojima's name on it).
    Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hashy

Yep those are all anime.

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hashy

Ecclesia is a mess in that it's SotN exactly, but somehow worse, 10 years after. Some of the bosses in that game are the worst I've ever seen. Maybe they could add an air dash to the next game in lieu of new sprites (HA HA). It could turn you into bats and have the twist be that you're the very beast you were hunting in the first place!!!!! Cheers for reading.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By fjordson

Vampire Smile is easily one of the best XBLA games out there. Love it.

And Ska Studios is what, like three guys? Amazing.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Icemael

I'm bumping this thread and quoting the best parts just to let other people have a laugh. I don't even care that the writing style and the vast amount of straight-up misinformation indicates that it's a 12-year-old who came here from 4chan to troll. It's hilarious anyway.

@Hashy said: 

" Castlevania is an aged animu relic "

HAHAHAHA

@Hashy said: 

" Can't tell if you're talkin about Order of Ecclesia or Judgement here. They're both highly rated "

HAHAHAHAHA

@Hashy said: 

" Going through this list there isn't a SINGLE non-anime Castlevania either "

HAHAHAHAHAHA

@Hashy said: 

" Yep those are all anime. "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

@Hashy said: 

" Ecclesia is a mess in that it's SotN exactly, but somehow worse, 10 years after. Some of the bosses in that game are the worst I've ever seen. Maybe they could add an air dash to the next game in lieu of new sprites (HA HA). "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it's funny because he clearly hasn't played a minute of the game.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By buft
    @Fjordson said:
    " Vampire Smile is easily one of the best XBLA games out there. Love it.And Ska Studios is what, like three guys? Amazing. "
    yeh its 3 guys, though im almost certain that only one of them does the meat and bones work the other 2 just seem to be doing community stuff
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By yoshimitz707

Ecclesia was too hard for me so I never made it very far past the first boss.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By DystopiaX

Well there was little marketing, and what I saw of the QL didn't really impress me much.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Icemael: I find your posts more annoying than his to be honest
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Icemael
    @FancySoapsMan: I'm being deliberately annoying. I do that when I talk to complete idiots. I just can't help myself.
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I didn't like the first DIshwasher at all. Really disliked the art direction, the gameplay, and almost everything about it.
    Symphony of the Night though, that was a pretty good game.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fjordson
    @buft said:

" @Fjordson said:

" Vampire Smile is easily one of the best XBLA games out there. Love it.And Ska Studios is what, like three guys? Amazing. "
    yeh its 3 guys, though im almost certain that only one of them does the meat and bones work the other 2 just seem to be doing community stuff "
    Yeah, James Silva I think? So cool.

And good god, why did someone have to mention Castlevania...
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By XenoNick

I played the trail of the first one and thought it was pretty bad ass. Totally forgot I hadn't bought until I saw the quick look of Vampire Smile. Might pick these up at some point. How long is the first game?

StartAndPause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By StartAndPause

Great game, I really hope the soundtrack is available somewhere!

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By eezo

bought it yesterday, it's REALLY cool! also i liked the fact that i died 4-6 times on this one boss, was SO satisfying to kill him in the end! :D

Hashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hashy
    @Icemael said:

HAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it's funny because he clearly hasn't played a minute of the game.

"
    Compelling stuff. I played a lot of Ecclesia but gave up not long after the dragon boss (in the castle, after the bad ending) due to indifference. Moreover its verifiable that you haven't played a second of a dishwasher game outside of the demos (and much like any good brawler the tutorial levels are a poor indication of the gameplay systems). Now if you'll excuse me I have to reconsider my enjoyment of this excellent game due to your initial drive-by insult on it.
    ninjahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ninjahat

Good game overall, local co-op is pretty fun, and its level of difficultly is challenging without being too frustrating (so far). I find myself playing in pretty short sessions though, max 20-30 minutes. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.