Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Oct 31, 1998

Redguard is an action adventure game set hundreds of years before the events of the rest of the Elder Scrolls series.

I Finally Checked Out The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard On PC Game Pass! (IT'S AWFUL!)

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

The Weirdest Elder Scrolls Game Ever Made Is On PC Game Pass! (Maybe Don't Play It!)

I know like two people are actually going to read this blog, but FUCK IT! I want to talk about this game!
    I know like two people are actually going to read this blog, but FUCK IT! I want to talk about this game!

The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard has a reputation. It is widely considered one of the worst games in the series and plays almost nothing like what we all would consider the norm for the franchise today. It is the only entry in The Elder Scrolls franchise that locks players into a third-person perspective, lacks RPG leveling mechanics, and follows a single predetermined character. To call The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard a "weird" game is a bit of an understatement; it is an anomaly the likes of which we will never see again. However, it is an oddity that Bethesda Softworks is not ashamed of, and years after its release, even before the advent of Game Pass, they made it and Daggerfall downloadable on their webpage for free. However, with the company's purchase from Microsoft, the game has since become available on PC Game Pass, though unfortunately, but understandably, not for Xbox Game Pass.

Much like when I decided to check out Zelda II, I wanted to give the game a whirl as it is, ostensibly, an adventure game, which is now becoming my bread and butter on this site in between my JRPG and Final Fantasy retrospectives. After giving the game over ten hours of my life, it became a rare "DNF" for me, however, not for the reasons you might expect. Even after I bounced off the game, I came away with at least a partial appreciation for it, absent in most contemporary reviews that excoriate it for being downright terrible. To me, the game is a snapshot into that odd period before the release of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind when Bethesda wasn't the CRPG figurehead we consider it today. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall was an ambitious project, but it was one with a reputation even in 1996 of being rough around the edges and not for the faint of heart. Oblivion gets some credit for partially sanding off the series's crueler sensibilities, and Skyrim is one of the most successful CRPGs ever made. Nonetheless, we should look at the OG Xbox release of Morrowind as an underrated inflection point for Bethesda and the CRPG genre. It and KOTOR paved the way for the genre's quick but substantial jump toward the console clientele until its rejuvenation with the growth of digital PC marketplaces and crowdfunding.

A fixed protagonist in a Bethesda game? SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!
    A fixed protagonist in a Bethesda game? SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

But what does any of that prattle have to do with The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard? As I will review shortly, Redguard should be treated as Bethesda's first olive branch to those outside PC-centric traditional CRPG circles. Even though it never launched on consoles and remained an MS-DOS exclusive until recently, upon start, you can tell Bethesda envisioned it as a "baby's first Elder Scrolls" experience. With the expected RPG leveling and character creation mechanics thrown to the wayside, it plays much like the late 90s PC platformers that were all the rage at the time of its release. People often forget this point, but the original Tomb Raider is one of the most important games ever made. It codified many of the design and control conventions of 3D action-adventure platforming that we take for granted today. Also, it spawned an INSANE number of copycats, and Redguard, in parts, is one of them. This matter leads me to my first discussion point.

The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard Is An Understandable Experiment And Should Be Approached As Such

It wasn't exactly a looker at the time of its release.
    It wasn't exactly a looker at the time of its release.

Before we delve into Redguard's Tomb Raider-inspired design, I need to spend some time articulating why the game, despite its first appearances, represented a massive risk on the part of Bethesda. Redguard is not something I recommend unless you are an incredibly dedicated Elder Scrolls fan or gaming historian. Nonetheless, it is highly ambitious. For one thing, the game features a complex scripted mission structure with a character-focused storyline. That's something you are not bound to experience in an Elder Scrolls game today. I also found it interesting seeing Todd Howard and the rest of the old guard at Bethesda try their hands at a traditional fantasy narrative. Correspondingly, to make the predetermined characters resonate better with players, Redguard is fully voice-acted from start to finish, and it was the first game in the series to do that. I'm not going to sit here and tell you the voice acting is perfect, but it generally gets the job done. When the voice acting errs on the questionable side, which usually occurs when it is time for female characters to talk, which I suspect were male actors pretending to be females, it is "of an era" rather than a complete and total failure.

I'm getting ahead of myself, but this inventory screen makes me so mad looking at it.
    I'm getting ahead of myself, but this inventory screen makes me so mad looking at it.

On a similar note is the game's massive 3D open world. In terms of scope and size, Redguard's world pales compared to Daggerfall or Morrowind. Still, when you consider the design objectives of Redguard, I think you can come to appreciate it as a technical accomplishment. Every explorable environment has a smattering of characters with at least ten to twenty minutes of fully voice-acted dialogue. The characters even flap their lips in synch with the spoken dialogue, which is not something everyone had the time or patience to do in 1998 or with MS-DOS. These technical achievements are why you might be surprised to know that Redguard was reviewed relatively well at its release. Its production values were enough to tilt some to give it the benefit of the doubt. However, the game bit off more than what Bethesda was capable of chewing at the time. With Redguard spending so much time vocalizing wordy lore while trying to convey a cohesive narrative, its gameplay feels like an afterthought. In fact, its slapdash attempt to copy Tomb Raider feels all the more "off" because its action set pieces feel so rote and by the numbers. Also, I will discuss this point in more depth, but it plays like absolute garbage. Tomb Raider's gameplay, wherein players navigate levels split into room complexes with a kaleidoscope of designs and challenges, is fluid and quick. Redguard is the opposite of those two words.

Unfortunately, Bethesda was out of its element when they were making Redguard. Whenever you need to transition Cyrus, the game's protagonist, from one quest to the next, instead of emulating the snappiness of Tomb Raider and immediately transitioning the player to a new environment, Redguard prefers to have them wander deserts, sparsely populated towns, and vast distances for unmarked NPCs. That design might work in the scope of a CRPG where players already assume they need to explore their surroundings for hints, but with something that is trying to be an action-platformer, it presents the sometimes shoddy patchwork of the game. Bethesda's lack of experience with platformers resulted in scenarios wherein they did not know what to do and them defaulting to 90s-era CRPG conventions. So, when the game presents you with saw-filled or lava-drenched platforming arenas that feel ripped from Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia, Redguard is downright excruciating to play because it has the mechanical deathtraps of early 90s platformers but with the added anti-player rough edges of a CRPG as well.

It's A Semi-Decent Lore Bible

Seeing fully functioning Dwemer technology is pretty fucking cool.
    Seeing fully functioning Dwemer technology is pretty fucking cool.

Here's where I will significantly diverge from the consensus on Redguard. Many of the negative reviews for the game, which I agree with overall, cite the overwhelming amount of talking as a significant barrier to it being an entry point to the series. To the credit of these reviews, they are correct in one regard. When you first boot up the game, there's an initial fight scene on a boat, but it's quick, and if the player explores all of the possible dialogue trees that exist after it, talking could represent most of your first three hours with the game. I reviewed the archive of my first stream of the game's opening, and I would hazard to say that fighting random pirates in the starting bar and hub world took about twenty minutes of my two-and-a-half-hour stream. That might sound odd to some people, but with the combat being the same shit, over and over again, I came to find the lore dumps in Redguard to be a welcomed change of pace.

I'm going to let you in on a weird fact about my relationship with the Elder Scrolls franchise. I enjoy reading the in-game books in every Elder Scrolls game. Whether it is learning about the failed invasion of Akavir in Oblivion, Palla in Morrowind, or consulting the Lusty Argonian Maid or A Game at Dinner books; I think the amount of worldbuilding the series has accomplished through its in-game books is nothing short of amazing. The majority are well-written and have vivid personalities and voices that exude far more charm than many of the characters you meet in the game. They also do a lot to fill in the gaps regarding time skips or jumps from one game to the next. If you're like me, and you spent HOURS scouring Oblivion or Skyrim, buying every possible book you could and reading them from page to page, there's a core to Redguard that's not a terrible value proposition. The game takes place in Hammerfell, a criminally underrated setting, and tackles a period in the franchise that I found conceptually and literally compelling (i.e., the Second Era). Seeing Hammerfell under a recently established Imperial occupation, with citizens split on if being a part of the Empire is an improvement, sets a lot of the foundational work Bethesda would later explore in more depth in Oblivion and Skyrim. Redguard also showcases a low-tech version of The Elder Scrolls universe most are unfamiliar with unless you play The Elder Scrolls Online.

The game's initial exploratory moments in Stros M'Kai were among my favorite of what I played. The vast majority of the NPCs have folktales, parables, and unique perspectives about what's happening, and they all share a different part of the history of Tamriel up to that point. When Cyrus meets up with an old friend, they croon about battles they fought, speculate on geopolitics, and shit-talk the crime boss currently employing your character. It's far from perfect, with the vast delta in the quality of the voice acting being a constant issue. Likewise, the game's "proper noun problem" leads to much of its lore dumps being overwhelming even to fans of the series. However, it's an incredibly earnest game, and I get the sense that Bethesda was so excited about sharing the world of The Elder Scrolls with newcomers that they couldn't stop themselves from putting everything they accomplished in the series up to that point. In Stros M'Kai, an NPC talks about the sinking of Yokuda for forty minutes and another about Dwemer technology for thirty. There's even a guy who will speak about the Imperial Battlespire for twenty minutes while loudly wondering about the state of the Ayleids. The game leaves no stone unturned, and its nerdy effervescence is admirable. Now, if only the game were fun to play.

Redguard Is No Goddamn Fun To Play!

THE WORST SHIT!
    THE WORST SHIT!

Oh, fuck me. I WISH for a universe where I could genuinely pen an essay on why this game is an "over-hated" buried treasure. I went into the game with low expectations, and while I found it technically and narratively impressive, I cannot advise anyone to play it. As I detailed in the first section, the game borrows heavily from Tomb Raider. Unfortunately, with Bethesda lacking any design or programming chops regarding platforming games, their attempt to graft their CRPG controls and engine to a genre where you cannot do that is an unmitigated disaster. Imagine playing a third-person action-platformer with the jump in Oblivion or Skyrim. Now imagine playing that game for fifteen to twenty hours with Prince of Persia-styled lava rooms that kill you immediately if you mistime a single jump. And this game being "of an era" means if you are not speedy with your quick saving abilities, dying can cause you to lose hours of progress because the checkpointing is NONEXISTENT!

Bethesda games have had a floaty-ass jump since their inception, and it's FINE in open-world CRPGs where you can use it to get into out-of-bounds areas or summit mountains. However, with Redguard expecting a certain amount of precision, IT'S NOT GOOD! One of the game's first "real" quests involves you hopping over platforms on a bridge, and as you walk along it, beams fall, causing you to need to leap over gaps. There's no easy way for me to express how fucking awful it felt trying to accomplish this simple feat, and it is made even worse thanks to the bridge hovering over a shark-infested ocean. And before you ask, the sharks will eat you, resulting in a "Game Over." Later in a cemetery, Cyrus will need to climb and leap around a giant stone statue and let me tell you, getting Cyrus to attach his hands to ledges is one of the most frustrating things in the world. His animation is incredibly jerky, and he puts his hands up on the ass-end of his parabolic jump. There were times when I thought he would die, only to see him miraculously cling to a ledge I did not even realize existed. There were other times when he bumped up against the edge of a platform and did not bother to throw his hands in the air, and I was forced to watch him scream in agony as he fell into a pit of spikes.

I wish I could properly express how angry this screenshot makes me feel.
    I wish I could properly express how angry this screenshot makes me feel.

Even more curious are the mechanics Redgaurd lacks when you compare it to other games in the series. The game has a third-person combat engine, but with no stats to plug into Cryus or upgradable equipment to purchase, what you see at the start of the game is what you get in its final hours. That's a real problem for several reasons. While the enemies he fights begin to don impressive armor and require more strategy to defeat, Cyrus is stuck with the same paltry HP bar from start to finish. Another source of frustration stems from Cyrus being a single person, but he can wrack up more than one foe, and if he gets surrounded, you're essentially fucked. There's a way for you to spam pokes and slashes while also parrying and dodging attacks, but after a certain point, people take fucking FOREVER to die because you are stuck with the same shitty sword. However, Cyrus goes down much as he did at the game's start, which feels incredibly unfair to the player. And with Redgaurd sporting a relatively large open world packed to the gills with horrible monsters that can murder you, the lack of any character progression makes its end-game nigh unplayable for me.

Speaking of that open world, it isn't very good! Like all Elder Scrolls games, there's real-time travel where you must walk vast distances to get to the game's many set pieces. That's a tired and true format for RPGs, but in something trying to copy Tomb Raider, it pulverizes the blow-for-blow pacing expected in an action platformer. The quest design also employs the open format of previous and subsequent Elder Scrolls games to hilarious results. You can do missions out of order, meaning some difficult late-game quests can be completed before early-game ones. In my case, what caused me to rage quit involved accidentally exploring a late-game area and not knowing it, getting my ass handed to myself, and lacking enough money to get my health back to parity. This issue leads me to my final quibble with the game. There are ways for you to get into unfixable death spirals, and Redguard knows this. Instead, it employs ye olde CRPG trope of expecting the player to "re-roll" and try again from scratch when they get into sticky situations, which is beyond fucked even if that was all the norm with previous games from Bethesda.

This Game Reminded Me of Why I'd Like The Elder Scrolls VI Explore The Past

It's now time for me to jump on the Shit on Bethesda for clicks bandwagon.
    It's now time for me to jump on the Shit on Bethesda for clicks bandwagon.

If there's one last positive takeaway I'd like to make of Redguard, it has to be its setting. Exploring a version of the "Second Era" in the scope of a single-player experience is such an incredible idea to me. The times when Redguard revels in more fanciful magic or traditional high-fantasy themes were my favorite moments. There's a scene wherein you enter a Dwemer observatory and look at a complex, Steampunk-like moving gadget, and it is visually and thematically impressive. I miss the times you could play an Elder Scrolls game and expect to see goblins, trolls, fairies, and other "funner" fantasy icons. With Skyrim, the series has moved in such a dire and realistic direction that I found the sillier sensibilities of Redguard refreshing. Remember when Elder Scrolls games had unicorns or octopus monsters? Redguard's fast travel system involves Cyrus transforming into a parrot to fly to alternate locations, and it is the funniest shit!

With The Elder Scrolls VI likely years away, I cannot help but lament that I can close my eyes and imagine almost perfectly what it will look like and how it will play. It will have a bunch of hyper-realistic Creation Engine humanoids that err freakishly close to the "Uncanny Valley" with dead eyes and poorly animating faces. You're going to swing your sword at a bandit's face, and the only feedback you will get are grunts. The balls of fire you summon out of your hands will look even more like real fire than they did in Skyrim. And you know what? It all sounds incredibly generic to me in a post-HBO Game of Thrones world. Even in Skyrim, I felt like a significant disconnect existed between you spewing streams of magical energy from your body and the game's unflinching grim-dark seriousness. You still have Sheogorath or Cicero in Skyrim, keeping the goofier roots of the series alive, but those are outliers. Honestly, I don't see the appeal in swinging the pendulum toward Game of Thrones in the world of The Elder Scrolls.You'd think things would be more comedic or silly in a game with cat people and lizards.

I don't think going backward in time will fix all those problems, but I sure don't think it would hurt. Bethesda has been about technical ambition and scope first and storytelling second for a while. Nonetheless, I think there's untapped potential in seeing how they would approach the narrative foundation they set for their tentpole franchise twenty years ago. I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. I'd be curious to see what goblins and unicorns would look like in the hands of modern Bethesda. Before anyone chimes in about The Elder Scrolls Online taking place in the Second Era, I want to remind you of my emphasis on "single-player experiences." However, that game has giant toad-like Sloads spewing vomitous acid on players as they try to bring down criminal syndicates, and if that was included in a mainline Elder Scrolls game today, I say, "Sign me the fuck up!" That's the kind of dumb but great fanservice I feel is only possible if the series revisits its past. And if Bethesda has no interest in doing that with The Elder Scrolls VI, maybe it is time to revive the "Adventures" spin-offs.

Also, here's a link to the first episode of my mini video series of me attempting to play this game:

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Hell yeah, another obsessive Elder Scrolls in-game book collector! In Skyrim, one of my first orders of business became building a custom house with the library wing so I had somewhere to stash one copy of each book (and I dumped every journal in chests based on theme). Every so often I’ll go through a wiki and read some of my favorite books; the series that details one tumultuous year by each month is my favorite. I’m really glad those things persist in the games, although I’m also glad they’ve edited… certain portions over time (Real Barenziah, yikes).

Anyway, holy crap this game sounds frustrating! I don’t even have any context for that bridge screenshot, but it filled me with existential dread. Thank you for your service.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By noobsauce

You crazy bastard, you actually played it! Great read, as always. I've always been curious about this game but heard about its shortcomings enough to avoid it. I do yearn for the scrolls series to let thier freak flag fly again after the relative blandness of Oblivion and Skyrim in order to appeal to a wider audience, especially since Morrowind appears to be gaining traction with a younger generation on reddit. Finding a guy's missing pants can be more a memorable experience than slaying your 20th dragon. Perhaps Bethesda can remember that.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dropping a comment here just to say I read the whole blog, and it was quite enjoyable. That said, I do not believe I am one of the two people that zp expected to read this blog. XD

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#4 ZombiePie  Staff

Hell yeah, another obsessive Elder Scrolls in-game book collector! In Skyrim, one of my first orders of business became building a custom house with the library wing so I had somewhere to stash one copy of each book (and I dumped every journal in chests based on theme). Every so often I’ll go through a wiki and read some of my favorite books; the series that details one tumultuous year by each month is my favorite. I’m really glad those things persist in the games, although I’m also glad they’ve edited… certain portions over time (Real Barenziah, yikes).

Anyway, holy crap this game sounds frustrating! I don’t even have any context for that bridge screenshot, but it filled me with existential dread. Thank you for your service.

I still wonder about the weird disconnect between the quality of the writing with the books in Bethesda games and the quality of their in-game writing. Skyrim is still a monolith in popularity, but it still features one of their most frustrating plot twists. Fallout 3 and 4 are more of the same. Maybe you can chalk up the books being better due to them having the opportunity to give mini-projects to people that have a lot of nerdy enthusiasm about specific topics and themes.

You crazy bastard, you actually played it! Great read, as always. I've always been curious about this game but heard about its shortcomings enough to avoid it. I do yearn for the scrolls series to let thier freak flag fly again after the relative blandness of Oblivion and Skyrim in order to appeal to a wider audience, especially since Morrowind appears to be gaining traction with a younger generation on reddit. Finding a guy's missing pants can be more a memorable experience than slaying your 20th dragon. Perhaps Bethesda can remember that.

This game, despite all of its flaws, is memorable and charming. My worry about Bethesda putting and increasing emphasis on realism and the Game of Thrones style of serious storytelling is that it conflicts with what the player ultimately wants to do in their games. We want to be big goofy wizards that piss lightning or big meat people that swing around dumb hammers. When you ask me to stand and pontificate about the two-sides of a war or think about the impacts of a dehumanizing leader, it doesn't really work when my avatar is a dumb walking murder machine.

@wchigo said:

Dropping a comment here just to say I read the whole blog, and it was quite enjoyable. That said, I do not believe I am one of the two people that zp expected to read this blog. XD

Thank you so much! It means a lot to me that I can do blogs for other weird things.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@zombiepie: RE: book quality, the vast majority of books in Skyrim have been directly passed on since Morrowind and before. I think the new inclusions have been fine, and often just as good, but all my favorites are fairly old. One of the Elder Scrolls wikis (what I use to occasionally re-read the texts) will state which game the book first popped up in, and what differences (if any) exist between games. The one I alluded to in my original comment featured a pretty graphic description of Barenziah being sexually assaulted back in Daggerfall, and they edited it in Morrowind to remove that particular passage. So I think maybe they reached out to people very passionate about the 90’s fantasy novel resurgence when populating the lore of Tamriel, and that freedom to establish new stories helped those writers a lot. While I don’t think Skyrim’s main story is bad, it definitely feels more like it tries to fit within what’s been written in previous games than establish its own new thing.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It’s all great stuff. I’ll admit I first got turned onto your blogs with your (mis)adventures in the Final Fantasy universe, but I’ve come to enjoy your humour and writing a lot. I’ve read pretty much all your blogs, even if I haven’t commented on all of them (including your ranch pizza one, lulz), and can’t wait for more zany ones… moar food crime blogs? :D

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I going to read this blog? No.

Is Chrome going to read it to me while I work? Hell yes.

Manburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

By Azura! The absolute madlad! Admire your detirmination in actually playing through the entire game. Thank you for your service. A thoroughly entertaining read! I also hope Beths dip into the Skooma, (just a taste) but similarily doubt they will lean into the wackier aspects of the world - but hope springs eternal. Praise Sheogorath.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This is cathartic for me. Understand I liked TES: Oblivion; ist was an interesting game full of gameplay I had not experienced before. When they announced Skyrim all those years ago I was thrilled. Certainly I thought they will make a far BETTER game that makes more sense, functions better, and truly take advantage the next gen hardware on PC and consoles...right?

No Caption Provided

A poor simple fool I was to think the best of mischievous grifters...and chicanerous thieves!

Bethesda Softworks and ZeniMax are not interested in making better games -LOL. The survive on churning out junk, it is hard to make working junk so it is almost praise worthy their games work at all. But, truthful given how much money ZeniMax makes these game should be FAR, FAR better.

So, yeah, the history of Bethesda Softworks is mostly that Todd Howard and Michael Kirkbride always allowed buggy half finished games to ship. They made ton of money doing that because truthfully nobody else was making games like that so fans just accepted a deplorable level of jank.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

Whelp, you've convinced me. This game sounds like a real bad time, so I guess I'll play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.