Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 01, 2002

The third entry in Bethesda's series of expansive first-person role-playing games. Arriving on the island of Vvardenfell as a prisoner, the player character is caught up in an ancient prophecy, as well as a power struggle between factions, races, and gods incarnate.

Delving Into Morrowind: part #1

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By fetchfox

#0 Introduction

So, I decided to play Morrowind during my summer break, never having played it before. My first Elder Scrolls game was in fact Skyrim. And at the age of 23 (24 in October) I've had many years and chances to get into the earlier games. I have several friends that played Oblivion when it was new, but I never had any particular interest in it. I guess my taste in games has changed over the years, now that I'm eager to jump into a large RPG and explore the vastness, while when I was younger I settled for GTA-games and more linear games that guided you along its path (not to say that those games were or are bad, I still play that style of games as well).

After having played Skyrim for probably more than 300 hours, I've become more and more interested in the lore and feel of the earlier games. Having read about the similarites and differences between Skyrim and its predecessors, I came to the conclusion that Morrowind is closest to the things I love about Skyrim. Not having my stationary PC during summer break is a little annoying, but thats what I get for going home during summer and leaving my things back at the apartment. So I'm playing the GOTY version of Morrowind on my Macbook, through a Cider wrap. It runs quite well, even with high resolution textures added. Now, enough intro.

#1 Where am I, and how does this work?

I started off, like everyone, in the costal village of Seyda Neen. I love the look and lore of Dunmer, so I made a male with a young appearance.

Having never played any of the earlier Elder Scrolls games I opted for the option to answer questions to determine my class. Ended up a Rogue, which has quite a nice set of major and minor skills. Not knowing what I had in store, I went on with the main-quest until I ended up in Balmora. Encountering and experiencing the pompousness and personal army of the main houses sold me on the game instantly. It's the little things I guess. Though still not having a complete feel for what, where and how, I continued on for some time with small quests and exploring the city, exhausting the dialogue options of several main and minor characters. Lack of proper armor and weapons made me a bit of a thief on my first visit to Balmora. I stole a short silver blade (being proficient in the art), and a set of medium bonemold armor.

Now that I finally felt a bit more secure, I started to venture out in the wilderness, heading north. My first encounter with creatures were small slug like things that paralyzed me with their venom, though they posed no real threat going down quite quickly after a few jabs. Quickly thereafter I met my first cliff racer, the infamous flying lizards. A tough fight for a level one Rogue, but I managed.

Further on I entered a new town, Caldera. Home of the mages guild and close to an ebony mine, I'll likely return to the city once I feel I have something to gain from it beyond selling goods (I won't be dabbling with magic though, it doesn't fit with my character).

Just outside the city, feeling a bit bold and going off track, I encountered two Diseased Kagouti (dinosaur like creatures). Posing a bit of a challenge, they still went down. After the fight I felt like resting until fully healed, but right after a Dark Brotherhood assassin attacked me out of nowhere. I died the first time, but the second time around I won just by a small margin. Having gained a new armor I felt pretty badass, but with my life now almost fully drained, I started to run back to Caldera. Just as I close in on the city a cliff racer descends upon me from above! Luckily a guard came running and took the bastard down while I recuperated at a nearby inn… Needless to say, it was an eventful day.

I hope some of you will find this a fun read, and feel free to give me tips! I've played and experienced more than written here, but I'll save that for the next entry.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fetchfox

#0 Introduction

So, I decided to play Morrowind during my summer break, never having played it before. My first Elder Scrolls game was in fact Skyrim. And at the age of 23 (24 in October) I've had many years and chances to get into the earlier games. I have several friends that played Oblivion when it was new, but I never had any particular interest in it. I guess my taste in games has changed over the years, now that I'm eager to jump into a large RPG and explore the vastness, while when I was younger I settled for GTA-games and more linear games that guided you along its path (not to say that those games were or are bad, I still play that style of games as well).

After having played Skyrim for probably more than 300 hours, I've become more and more interested in the lore and feel of the earlier games. Having read about the similarites and differences between Skyrim and its predecessors, I came to the conclusion that Morrowind is closest to the things I love about Skyrim. Not having my stationary PC during summer break is a little annoying, but thats what I get for going home during summer and leaving my things back at the apartment. So I'm playing the GOTY version of Morrowind on my Macbook, through a Cider wrap. It runs quite well, even with high resolution textures added. Now, enough intro.

#1 Where am I, and how does this work?

I started off, like everyone, in the costal village of Seyda Neen. I love the look and lore of Dunmer, so I made a male with a young appearance.

Having never played any of the earlier Elder Scrolls games I opted for the option to answer questions to determine my class. Ended up a Rogue, which has quite a nice set of major and minor skills. Not knowing what I had in store, I went on with the main-quest until I ended up in Balmora. Encountering and experiencing the pompousness and personal army of the main houses sold me on the game instantly. It's the little things I guess. Though still not having a complete feel for what, where and how, I continued on for some time with small quests and exploring the city, exhausting the dialogue options of several main and minor characters. Lack of proper armor and weapons made me a bit of a thief on my first visit to Balmora. I stole a short silver blade (being proficient in the art), and a set of medium bonemold armor.

Now that I finally felt a bit more secure, I started to venture out in the wilderness, heading north. My first encounter with creatures were small slug like things that paralyzed me with their venom, though they posed no real threat going down quite quickly after a few jabs. Quickly thereafter I met my first cliff racer, the infamous flying lizards. A tough fight for a level one Rogue, but I managed.

Further on I entered a new town, Caldera. Home of the mages guild and close to an ebony mine, I'll likely return to the city once I feel I have something to gain from it beyond selling goods (I won't be dabbling with magic though, it doesn't fit with my character).

Just outside the city, feeling a bit bold and going off track, I encountered two Diseased Kagouti (dinosaur like creatures). Posing a bit of a challenge, they still went down. After the fight I felt like resting until fully healed, but right after a Dark Brotherhood assassin attacked me out of nowhere. I died the first time, but the second time around I won just by a small margin. Having gained a new armor I felt pretty badass, but with my life now almost fully drained, I started to run back to Caldera. Just as I close in on the city a cliff racer descends upon me from above! Luckily a guard came running and took the bastard down while I recuperated at a nearby inn… Needless to say, it was an eventful day.

I hope some of you will find this a fun read, and feel free to give me tips! I've played and experienced more than written here, but I'll save that for the next entry.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

Morrowind, to me, was very hard to play. I remember going out, getting some decent low level stuff, and then I find some town go out exploring and get killed by a highway man. I load it up and I'm all the way back at the start. I hope you have more fun than I do.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Morrowind is a difficult game to get into these days, especially after playing Oblivion and Skyrim. Once you do, though, it is something special. If Bethesda - or a modder - were to ever modernize some things about it (most especially the shit combat and letting us move much faster) I think it could be the best one out of the latter three TES games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Morrowind is a hard game but just research some tips and you should be able to get it. It's definitely worth the effort to get good at though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.