Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 01, 2002

The third entry in Bethesda's series of expansive first-person role-playing games. Arriving on the island of Vvardenfell as a prisoner, the player character is caught up in an ancient prophecy, as well as a power struggle between factions, races, and gods incarnate.

Forever an Outlander

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By fetchfox

I've now put over fifty hours into Morrowind. My Hlaalu stronghold is being built, I'm geared up with some Daedric artifacts, daedric weapons, and glass armor. Even the blinding speed of a certain pair of boots are no longer a problem.

Though I've grown accustomed to some of Vardenfell, it is, in many ways, still very alien. Ashlander customs, the corprus disease (which I've just contracted), Daedric cults, Dagoth Urs followers... the list goes on. It all helps lift the world to a level Skyrim never achieved for me. In the over five hundred hours I spent in the north, Morrowind has proven to much more "believable" in less than sixty. I don't question the logic of its many cults, customs, cultures or houses. The architecture and design makes the world come alive, combined with books, deep story lines, conversations and music. I never imagined I would end up this immersed in a twelve year old game with several undeniably outdated mechanics. It just goes to show that a game is so much more than just game-mechanics and graphics.

If you're even remotely interested in Morrowind, try it out. It might end up becoming one of the most rewarding gaming experiences you'll ever have.

No Caption Provided

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a fantastic video game. I picked it up back in 2010, but it became one of my all-time favorites.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Truly an amazing game. I too picked it up years after its release, and while it does show its age in some respects, the world and the characters inhabiting it haven't.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Morrowind is probably the most fascinating game setting ever. The only other one that comes close in my opinion is Planescape Torment's world.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By monetarydread

I loved my experience playing Morrowind back in the day. I have been wanting to replay the game, but I am content to wait for a more complete version of the Skywind mod to be released.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, Morrowind is still the best Elder Scrolls as far as I'm concerned.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Morrowind, despite its archaic-ness, was still addictive and mesmerizing. If only the current TES games were as well written, as magical, and as intricate.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tru3_blu3: I wish they were. If only Skyrim had the same depth and intricacies.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Morrowind is a game that I'd likely enjoy, given infinite time and infinite patience.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Morrowind was great; they did a better job of creating multiple unique environments and gave a better sense of the culture that inhabited those environments. Also, living in the hallowed out shell of giant insects is rad.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I remember feeling very lost in Morrowind when I first played it on the original xbox. It was daunting, and pretty unlike KOTOR and all the other lite-RPG games I was playing at the time. I just felt unable to cope with the systems/mechanics at the time. I would be interested in spending some time with it in the near future though.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Morrowind is one of my all time favourite games that I've managed never to beat before. I've spent a lot of time with it but never completed the story oddly enough. This reminds me that I really need to go back to this game at some point, maybe I will when my semester is over and I have all the time in the world to play through it.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By sumbog

Morrowind is a game where I recommend cheating right at the bat and maxing out your combat skills, as that is easily the worst part about the game. Other than that I would have to agree, the world of Morrowind is one of the most fleshed out and interesting Bethesda locals.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great little write-up so thanx for that. I remember buying this weird rpg game with a strange name for my OG xbox and being completely immersed. The xbox didn't last that long, but it had kindeled my love for morrowind and the TES games that followed, although the next entries in the series never managed to have the same feel of wonder and mistique.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sin4profit Absolutely, it is as rad as possible. The Telvanni towers are magnificent still.

@burgavo Thanks, I might do more. You should go back (perhaps with some overhaul mods installed), I bet you'll be lulled by its mystique again.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good summary. I don't know why, but it always makes me happy when someone is able to go back to Morrowind and enjoy it. Probablly because so many people just complain about the combat and don't stick with it.

In many ways, I think Skyrim tried to do a lot of the things Morrowind did. While it certainly has a more interesting world than Oblivion, I think it falls short at every point. Sure, Skyrim has some points about racism and colonialism, but compared to Morrowind it just comes of as simplistic. I think a lot of that has to do with pace ande quest structure. While many quests in Morrowind are about learning to understand the nature of the land, it's religion and the conflicts (like the imperial cult, the temple and the imperial legion questlines), pretty much every quest in Skyrim is about going into a cave and killing things or getting a thing from a cave by killing the things that are in the way.

Any way, in case you are interested, I recently found some pretty interesting writing on Morrowind's culture and metahpysics. The last link especially really goes places. Light spoiler warning, obviously.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fetchfox

@almostswedish said:

Good summary. I don't know why, but it always makes me happy when someone is able to go back to Morrowind and enjoy it. Probablly because so many people just complain about the combat and don't stick with it.

In many ways, I think Skyrim tried to do a lot of the things Morrowind did. While it certainly has a more interesting world than Oblivion, I think it falls short at every point. Sure, Skyrim has some points about racism and colonialism, but compared to Morrowind it just comes of as simplistic. I think a lot of that has to do with pace ande quest structure. While many quests in Morrowind are about learning to understand the nature of the land, it's religion and the conflicts (like the imperial cult, the temple and the imperial legion questlines), pretty much every quest in Skyrim is about going into a cave and killing things or getting a thing from a cave by killing the things that are in the way.

Any way, in case you are interested, I recently found some pretty interesting writing on Morrowind's culture and metahpysics. The last link especially really goes places. Light spoiler warning, obviously.

Thanks, I love what I've seen so far. I've gotten deeper into the main-story now, and the lore of the Nerevarine (and so on) is really interesting.

I enjoyed the articles you linked, especially the last one. I only read up to part three though (the one about Vivec), as it's a little to spoilery for me at the moment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.