Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Anyone else playing Oblivion in anticipation for Skyrim?

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By PieGuy

I recently picked this up as I have got major hype for Skyrim (hype is bad as I'm always disappointed).
    Been playing as a heroic Nord and not levelling up, despite not getting access to later weapons staying at level one is awesome.
    Trying to fly through the crappy main quest, I have gotten rid of dialogue subtitles and I find myself actually listening to characters rather than scanning through paragraphs hammering the skip button. Major flaw with that though is everyone sounds the same. It is awful.

I'm refraining from the dupe glitch or any glitches that futher my character economically. I'm a kleptomaniac so I have saved up enough money and bought the scummy shack in the Imperial City waterfront. Shocked to find I had to pay 744 gold to get any sort of storage, had to risk my life in the arena but now I have place to store my unique crap I have no use for but don't have the heart to sell.

I can't imagine I'm the only one replaying this game leading up to Skyrim so what are you up to?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BonOrbitz

YES!

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By the8bitNacho

Nope, not at all. I literally can't stand the combat in that game.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By ReyGitano

I already put in 1000 hours into Oblivion. I'm planning on playing through Morrowind!

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SlightConfuse
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    "I already put in 1000 hours into Oblivion. I'm planning on playing through Morrowind! "

yea, i played the hell out of oblivion but have never played morrowind so im going to put some time into that
    PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PieGuy
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " I already put in 1000 hours into Oblivion. I'm planning on playing through Morrowind! "
    Not played Morrowind, I was considering buying it for my PC but it seems like such a step back from Oblivion in relation to ease of  game mechanics. I have heard it is better but a lot of people say these things through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia.
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By cap123

I will probably start up a new game closer to skyrim's release!

rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By rosebud04

I just bought the shvering isles. they add quite a few more voices in that DLC

Morien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Morien

Yep, been playing it off and on when I think of Skyrim and want to play it.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By spazmaster666

I actually started playing Oblivion again recently for other reasons, but the game still crashes on a regular basis, which suddenly made me all the more relieved that Skyrim no longer uses Gamebryo.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By ReyGitano
    @PieGuy said:
    " @SlashseveN303 said:
    " I already put in 1000 hours into Oblivion. I'm planning on playing through Morrowind! "
    Not played Morrowind, I was considering buying it for my PC but it seems like such a step back from Oblivion in relation to ease of  game mechanics. I have heard it is better but a lot of people say these things through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia. "
    I would assume so as well, especially since so many of these people seem to dislike Oblivion, but I loved Oblivion enough to give Morrowind a shot.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nasar7

No, they are too similar. I don't wanna burn out on that style of game before Skyrim's release.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By yevinorion

I tried man, I really did...It just felt so "old". I couldn't bring myself to hack my way through the rats and zombies of the starting dungeon again and manage that horrible inventory.

@PieGuy: I'll say this, what Oblivion added in pretty landscapes and easier game mechanics, it lost in freedom and depth of the world. Morrowind had a much more unique landscape and true consequences for actions (e.g. You can't become the leader of EVERY guild as some had rivalries). They're both awesome games, but as an experience I have to say I enjoyed Morrowind more. Perhaps the mechanics are tough to go back to now, but so is Oblivion to me. :P

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PieGuy

I hope they fix being able to do everything in one playthrough in Skyrim.

Morrowind does sound good but I think I will find the old gameplay too much of a barrier now that I'm used to the nooby Oblivion layout. I hope they get rid of quest markers which tell you exactly where everyone and every item you need for a quest is, kind of takes away from the enjoyment. Atleast give the option to switch it off.

Not levelling is the most fun I have had on this game since I bought it with my PS3 on release. I had played it before on the PC at a friends, console commands rule! So jealous but my laptop would never be able to handle it, at least not in an enjoyable state. That Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul looks amazing and fixes most of the gameplay mechanic problems of the game, most notably levelling.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By FreakAche

I've been playing it a bit lately, but whenever I boot it up, I realize that I've already done pretty much everything that's worth doing. I think going back to Morrowind makes more sense at this point.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

I've been playing Oblivion off and on for about a month or two. I had put about 300 hours into it back in '06 and '07. I also have Morrowind, but I prefer Oblivion over it. Morrowind just bores me for some reason and I no longer want to play it. And if people think Oblivion's combat is bad, Morrowind's combat sucks ass.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By fox01313

Well from the sound of it there's so much that has changed on some of the mechanics of Skyrim that I think that personally I'll just keep playing Fallout New Vegas as Oblivion might look like Skyrim but better though having 3 stats will make the gameplay much different. Plus it doesn't sound like you can just jump around casting spells on yourself to boost certain skills.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By jorbear

I will be playing both Morrowind and Oblivion. This summer is going to be fun. :D

allenibrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By allenibrahim

I'm sticking to wiki'ing the overarching Elder Scrolls plot since A. I don't want to go back to Morrowind/further B. Oblivion doesn't run well on my PC at all and 5. I have too big of a backlog right now to go play Oblivion on console.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By foggel

Yep:)

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrGetBonus

I wanna go back and play through Morrowind again actually. Thinking about looking for a mod pack for Morrowind similar to what FCOM did to Oblivion. After playing through vanilla Oblivion a couple times, I was amazed at how mind-blowingly better it was after I installed FCOM. Hoping to find a similar experience for Morrowind.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aronman789

Screw that! I'm playing through Redguard!

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By PerryVandell

No, I can only go through so many duplicates of the exact same dungeon. I'm still looking forward to Skyrim though!

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PieGuy
    @Fullmetal216:  You'll be happy to know that they are investing a lot of time in making each dungeon unique, the tradeoff is there are less dungeons however in Oblivion I barely entered half of them. Loot is meaningless in that game, they need more reward for exploration such as unique items or trophies of special characters that inhabit dungeons rather than some gold and some randomly encharted armor/weapon.

I wish Skyrim came out earlier as I will be at university later this year so will have to whore the game through christmas. I'm afraid of taking my console with me as I could see my grades and time itself slipping away from me.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Jayzilla

So i can play the 2 different styles of dungeon over and over again? no thanks. That game is the land above the dungeons. the actual game play isn't all that appealing to me anymore. The combat lacks "weight" or "meatyness" for lack of a better term. 

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By JJGIANT

Yeah put about 50 hours in a while ago but haven't been back to it in a bout 2 months. Might go back soon.
    Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Moth_Pope

While I've already 100%'d the game and put many many hours into it, I did think about starting a new save recently leading up to Skyrim's release... But then I thought against it and decided I'd actually cut out all RPG's until Skyrim comes out which'll keep all elements totally fresh.

(Having said that, not playing Oblivion = cutting out all RPG's for me. I don't really have any others.) :p

ExplodingTuba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ExplodingTuba
    @PieGuy: You should have made this a poll. Just saying. 
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vaile

I considered it, but I decided to go cold turkey, just to make me saver that first Skyrim playthrough all the more.

silentghost227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By silentghost227
    @Jayzilla said:
    So i can play the 2 different styles of dungeon over and over again? no thanks. That game is the land above the dungeons. the actual game play isn't all that appealing to me anymore. The combat lacks "weight" or "meatyness" for lack of a better term. 
    This exactly. The first time through Oblivion was amazing, but I just can't imagine trudging through it again as the combat does not have much staying power. 

Definitely excited for Skyrim though. 
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ClaritySam

I'm doing the shivering isles again to get the Duke of Mania achievment.  It's been annoying me for ages that I have 1220/1250 points!  Also since we're talking Oblivion this made me laugh earlier -  http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=631191

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By Deranged

As much as I love Oblivion, I could never play more than an hour of it at a time. Never beat the game.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I couldn't even play Oblivion after being exposed to Fallout 3. 

Hopefully I will one day have the time to play through it because at the moment I have a crap-load of other games stacked up.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By armaan8014

me too

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PieGuy
    @BenKweller57:  You're probably right, I didn't expect anyone to see this topic, early days on the forum for me.

I have exams coming up so I'm gonna have to give Oblivion a rest, hopefully I'll be able to get back into it after my hiatus.
    Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kandycane2029

I've invested over 700 hours into Oblivion, I'm fucking ready. If anything, I want to find my Morrowind GOTY discs and immerse myself into my own made up story with tons of mods again.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vexxan

Haven't even played through it once yet, perhaps it's time for that, Skyrim looks neat.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Hizang

I've put hundreds of hours into Oblivion, I played that game when I didn't have a job so didn't have to many games. Now I have a ton of games and don't have the time to go back to it for another hundred hours. Fantastic game though, was my GOTY 2 years in a row.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xyzygy

I might closer to release, but for people who haven't played Morrowind make sure you play that. The storyline of Skyrim is sounding somewhat similar to Morrowind's style. Which is a good thing. In Skyrim you play as the Devahkiin (or however it's spelled) and Morrowind has a similar deal where you play as a special type of character. Not sure just how close they'll go with the Devahkiin thing but it's sounding to me like another Nerevarine. Oblivion's story was so boring compared to Morrowind's which was actually awesome. So fucking pumped for Skyrim.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Bollard
    @PieGuy said:
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    Not played Morrowind, I was considering buying it for my PC but it seems like such a step back from Oblivion in relation to ease of  game mechanics. I have heard it is better but a lot of people say these things through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia.
    Yeah Morrowind's pretty hard to get into (Speaking as a huge Oblivion fan that then bought the GOTY Morrowind). I've put a little time into it but getting the S Rank in Oblivion was way way better ;) 

Also don't worry about being hyped for Skyrim, cause it's gunna be awesome anyway! No worries about being let down I'm sure :P
    Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#41  Edited By Danteveli

I'm planning to pick it up again this summer. Maybe even I will turn on my xbox for some Morrowind.

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Althox

Indeed does, and actually got a pretty funny death-pose on an enemy in the arena.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dystonym
    @allenibrahim: tried using Oldblivion?
    http://www.oldblivion.com/
    emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By emergency

Already played through that game. It doesn't age very well, at least I have quite fond memories of playing it but upon playing it again it's a bit painful.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FreakAche
    @emergency said:
    Already played through that game. It doesn't age very well, at least I have quite fond memories of playing it but upon playing it again it's a bit painful.
    I think Morrowind has actually held up a lot better somehow. Oblivion was kind of too ambitious for it's own good, so it has a lot of rough edges.
    allenibrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By allenibrahim
    @Murdouken: oh wow! that helped a lot. runs fantastically now. thanks man.
    Jersey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jersey_Jay

Yeap. Just recently started up a new Breton. Although, I haven't played in a few days. I have him in some ayleid ruin ( can't remember the name), hiding in a corner, over-encumbered.

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Garfield360UK

I had started to get back into it but then got made into a vampire or something which suddenly cut my interest in playing when I cant walk around during the daylight hours.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By emem

@Garfield360UK said:

I had started to get back into it but then got made into a vampire or something which suddenly cut my interest in playing when I cant walk around during the daylight hours.

Haha, you should have read a little more. :) But I don't think it's a big problem, as far as I remember you can stay at (vampire) level 1 by drinking blood every day or cure yourself completely.. or just load an older save.

@emergency said:

I think it aged just fine.. it doesn't look like The Witcher 2, but with mods it's still the 2nd best "looking" amazing rpg out there. If you don't know that the leveling is messed up you probably won't even realise it on your first playthrough either, imho.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.