Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Blood Grass Glitch

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By THE_END

Anyone else encounter this glitch on the GoTY edition?  It is extremely annoying! 
    The only way to get around it is to rent the original game.  I send an email to Bethesda requesting a fix, but they keep ignoring my email.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming this game by any means... infact it is one of my favorite games of all time.  I'm just saying this because it is super annoying to be dozens of hours into the game and then encounter this bug/glitch.

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DaveF

What is the glitch? What happens?

StealthPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StealthPanda

Yeah I haven't heard of any blood grass glitch?

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By THE_END

In the vampire cure quest there have been problems with the witch not accepting bloodgrass.

• On the PS3 Game of the Year (GoTY) edition, this bug has returned though the latest official patch is already built-in. A workaround is available but requires a non-GoTY Oblivion disc

PS3 GoTY edition players currently have no way of curing their vampirism due to the above bug as the Vile Lair and other official plug-ins are not available on PSN. The Bloodgrass topic will be absent or greyed-out and Melisande will not accept the Bloodgrass even if the main quest is not completed, unlike what occurs on unpatched PC and XBox360 non-GoTY Oblivion (on the GoTY version the patch is built-in, so this bug will never occur.) A workaround is to obtain (i.e. through rental) a non-GoTY Oblivion disc and use that to play through the completion of the quest. The Bloodgrass topic can then be chosen and and the player's vampirism can be cured. (This can also happen if you bought Shivering Isles as an expansion)

This glitch sucks because you have to rent the original just to get around this stupid glitch or else you will be stuck as a vampire forever without a cure.  This glitch really sucks when you encounter it 30+ hours into the game.

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By DaveF

Hmm that does suck. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but maybe renting the original is worth the cost?
    I don't know whether that works though. I have GOTY and the original. I put the original in the PS3 the other day, and it didn't load, I assume because I have GOTY format save files.

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By THE_END
    DaveF said:
    "Hmm that does suck. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but maybe renting the original is worth the cost?
    I don't know whether that works though. I have GOTY and the original. I put the original in the PS3 the other day, and it didn't load, I assume because I have GOTY format save files.
    "

Depends on how much you play the game.... for example there are a lot of variables:

- If you entered Shivering Isles and then encounter the glitch most players have reported losing most if not everything gained from Shivering Isles AFTER they use the rental workaround which really sucks.

- The best work around is to borrow the original from a friend which is free... unfortunately I don't have any friends with a PS3 and Oblivion non-GoTY.......... I have a friend with a xbox 360 + the original Oblivion, but obviously that doesn't help me out.

- I can start a new character then immediately start and complete the vampire cure quest (using rental workaround) then my character will be safe for the rest of the game, but that puts me out about 8-9 bucks (or whatever blockbuster is charging these days). 
    So that means if I want to have 3 or 4 differant characters I would need to start them all at the same time and immediately do everything listed above to workaround the glitch (cost about 8-9 bucks).

- Or I can buy the original disc for 29 bucks and not have to deal with all of the headaches.  Since I'm planning on playing this game all the way until TES V comes out...... this is a tempting option but really sucks that I have to buy the game AGAIN.

- I think you can avoid vampirism by never sleeping, but then you don't gain levels which sucks IMO.  Or you may be able to just keep curing the disease BEFORE it develops into vampirism......but this hasn't been reliable for me because this requires you to be parnoid for your entire play through the game with really sucks...... and I usually develop vampirism evenually anyways at some point throughout my play through.

Bottomline is this glitch really sucks and Bethesda isn't doing crap to fix.  And they for sure know about it, because I have emailed them to death.... and they simply will not respond to me.  Unfortunately, no fix is in sight period.... which really sucks.

Especially considering the fact that this is my favorite RPG.  This one stupid glitch may cause me to just break down and buy the game for the PC, but I don't really like that idea because I never buy PC games and prefer using a console controller much better than the keyboard/mouse.... just my personal preference.

Ok.... I'm finally finished griping!!!  As you can see this glitch really gets me fired up.  I'm STILL pissed that I lost my character due to this glitch with greater than 30 hours, but I guess I should be happy that I encounterd this glitch 30 hours instead of 100 or 200 hours!!!!
    Corsaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Corsaer

Yeah, currently there is no way around this besides renting a non-GoTY edition disc.

I'm sorry. :/

It is fairly easy to cure it before you fully become a vampire though, as long as you know these three things:  You only get it from fighting a vampire, you can cure it with any Cure Disease spell or potion, and you can check to see if you have the Porphyric Hemophilia disease in your permanent effects tab.
    That said, after every time you've fought a vampire (or every few days) check the permanent effects tab and see if it lists Porphyric Hemophilia, and if it does use a Cure Disease spell or potion or visit any shrine in a temple to become cured (within three days).
    I've given more info on Resist Disease and Cure Disease effects in my help topic, so check there for more information.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Gabriel

Oh wow, I just got to this after FIFTY hours in. I can't believe they never patched this.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Its widely known and they never fixed it. This is a massive issue with Beth. They often abandon a game and never go back to fix it. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By trophyhunter

Well It is what it is.  They need to Interface with this Cutting edge technology.
    Then they'll be able to Leverage those assets. Which is really a Value-add on your part.
    Now if they Reach out and Socialize maybe with Viral marketing. That will be a real Game changer
    Then I believe there won't be a Disconnect between the players and the developers.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gabriel

Agh, so I went to Gamestop and traded in Final Fantasy XIII in for 15 bucks which I bought a week ago for 60 (game sucks) to try and fix the glitch by putting in the non-GOTY disk, and now it won't even load. So now not only am I pissed at Bethesda, I'm also pissed at Gamestop for there ridiculous trade in values. 

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gabriel

Finally figured the fucker out. For it to load you have to go to jail and then switch in the regular version, get the bloodgrass and then put the GOTY disk back in.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Wow, this glitch sounds pretty bad. I had a glitch some hours into the PC version of Oblivion which meant I had to restart the entire game, it really sucked.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " Wow, this glitch sounds pretty bad. I had a glitch some hours into the PC version of Oblivion which meant I had to restart the entire game, it really sucked. "
    It is in deed a game breaking glitch. 
    Eckon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eckon

It's very important to the story if i do that quest ? Or can i skip it ? I have the Goty edition :(

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By Atlas
    @Eckon said:
    " It's very important to the story if i do that quest ? Or can i skip it ? I have the Goty edition :( "

It's only important if you want a cure for vampirism and don't own the Vampire's Lair DLC. It's ostensibly a sidequest. Vampirism can be a ton of fun, but eventually you'll want a cure because it can be a massive hassle only travelling at night.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By floodiastus
    @trophyhunter said:
    "  Well It is what it is.  They need to Interface with this Cutting edge technology.
    Then they'll be able to Leverage those assets. Which is really a Value-add on your part.
    Now if they Reach out and Socialize maybe with Viral marketing. That will be a real Game changer
    Then I believe there won't be a Disconnect between the players and the developers.    "
    You speak like a robot!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.