Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

In you opinon, which is the better console to paly this game on?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

(Please note I already have all the points for the 360 version, so thats not going to be a factor for me.)

Ok, I have this question because yes, I do own both versions because I heard the PS3 version did look better and it was dirt cheap when i found it when I bought it. Im considering playing this game again,and im really wonder which of my versions I should play the game on. On teh one hand, I have the 360 version that has the most DLC and has rumnle, while PS3 has the better draw distances, less hitches, and better visuals. Im not really going to go through Shivering Isles again, which if I did would mean i would wanna play my 360 version because thats the version I have that for. Im talking mainly main game. But here something else that murks it a bit. 360 has thus recieved a Install feature since this game came out, which i assume means that eliminates PS3s draw distance advatange and fi you go free roam exploring, means you wont hitch as much if you have it installed on 360. So, if thats true, I guess its down to Rumble/little DLC stuff like the vile lair on 360 vs Visuals on PS3. However, I do have Knights of the Nine Expansion on PS3 because it came on teh disc unlike the 360 version, so I have that automaticaly.  What do you guys think? Also, I dont care if PC is the better version because I dont own the game on PC. I think I might lean towards 360 because, hoenstly, the lack of Rumble on the PS3 version bugs the hell out of me.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I thought the PS3 version sucked....

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ravensword
    @natetodamax:

Any particular reason? It was my understanding that it looked and performed better because of the extra dev time.
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @natetodamax: Any particular reason? It was my understanding that it looked and performed better because of the extra dev time. "
    it did, nate is a fan boy, i think
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By MistaSparkle

I don't know why, but Bethesda's games always were better overall on 360. My opinion at least.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By OldGuy

PC

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ravensword
    @MistaSparkle:

I would argue that as far as DLC and all that, since 360 always got it first. But after they come out on both after a while, then I think theyre alot closer where the only differention thing being Performance and whatnot, which was better on 360 for Fallout and better on PS3 for Oblvion. But yeah, bethesda seems to back 360 mroe then PS3 for some reason.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

PS3 version is riddled with unfixed bugs (or at least it was). I had it on 360 before I got it on PC, and I had no (reasonable) complaints.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kishan6
    @organicalistic_ said:
    " @Raven_Sword said:
    " @natetodamax: Any particular reason? It was my understanding that it looked and performed better because of the extra dev time. "
    it did, nate is a fan boy, i think "
    lol 
    says the person with a blue name ;) 

anyways if we are only talking consoles i cant say because i only played the 360 version when it came out 
    but im pretty sure that anyone even only console gamers can agree that the pc version is the superior version 
    fantastic mod community, higher res graphics, M&K (however that is mostly preference)
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ravensword
    @kishan6:

but the thing peopel need to realize is I dont care if tis better on PC, im unable to playt on PC, so telling meits better on taht does nothing for me.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FunExplosions

I have the PS3 version. I played the 360 version. Get that. The 360 version looks a lot better. I don't know how to describe it, but it just looks a lot better, despite what the specs of both systems will say. I know you said you don't have it on PC, but if you could get it on that, I'd recommend it. Even with my shit laptop, it looks far better than on my PS3, and plays waaaay smoother.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By bwooduhs

360 for achievements

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OldGuy

What, is your PC 8 years old? My 5 year old PC with an AGP (yes AGP) graphics card plays it better than the 360 version (which, if you MUST play it on a console, is the way to go)...

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Get the 360 if you're already planning on it. That way if you ever do decide to run through the DLC you totally can.  

It's a great game no matter what machine it's running on. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @kishan6: but the thing peopel need to realize is I dont care if tis better on PC, im unable to playt on PC, so telling meits better on taht does nothing for me. "
    It could inspire you to get a better PC. 
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ravensword
    @OldGuy:

1. Why must i play it on 360 if I have to play on consoles?  

2. My CPU and RAM could probaly run it, but my GPU might as well be 10 years old. Lets just say we got a deal from my Grandpas work and they decided to make everything decent except the GPU. I have a Intel Core Duo CPU E7400@2.80GHZ and my GPU is I guess a ATI Radeon HD 3450. I think, im not sure how to check for sure. It says that under Device manager and Display adapters. I think I have like 2gbs of Ram or something.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By subject2change

PC

Also your PC might handle it just fine with what you got, it's an old game and my old AGP card could handle it. I just didn't enjoy it. Wasn't my type of RPG.

memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By memo

i love consoles but even i know PC for this game

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ravensword
    @Subject2Change:

WTF are you on brosef?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what console is better to "paly" this on, because I don't know what "paly"-ing is. 

OT: 1. PC 
    2.:360 
    3.PS3

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By subject2change

I was reading the quote from "kishan6" and not the original thread.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ravensword
    @InfamousBIG:

Cute.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ravensword
    @Subject2Change:

oh, ok, nevermind.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater

360 for points. Also, don't forget that you can install it for faster loading. In any case, it really doesn't matter.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ravensword

My hesistence to get games on PC is:  

1. My PC cant handle new stuff. Maybe it can handle this, but I doubt my GPU can do it. Its a Radeon HD 3450.  

2. The PC is shared amongst the family, meaning I cant get on whenever I want and i like to paly in teh comfort of my own room. So until I get my own PC, Im not real keen on PC gaming outside of WoW
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spoonman671

It really doesn't matter.  If achievements are important to you then get it on 360, because the game came out before trophies were implemented on PS3.  Other then that, get it on whichever system you want.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Both versions are essentially on par from what I've seen. It depends on which console you're more comfortable with.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Spoonman671

Now that I think about it, you should get it on PS3 because you'll probably end up using the d-pad a lot for quick-selecting items/spells/weapons.

newt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By newt

As with all Elder Scrolls games, PC.  It allows for greater customizability/modability and a generally preferable control scheme (and I believe you can hook up a 360/PS3 controller if that's your deal regardless).  Oblivion is fairly old, and your current hardware should run it fine. 
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:System_Requirements     

If you're against getting it on PC for whatever reason, I doubt either console version has significant differences.  I do not recall any uproar over bad framerates or resolutions on either platform as I've seen from other games.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AuthenticM

Elder Scrolls games are best played on PC.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#31  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @Raven_Sword said:

" @OldGuy:

1. Why must i play it on 360 if I have to play on consoles?  

2. My CPU and RAM could probaly run it, but my GPU might as well be 10 years old. Lets just say we got a deal from my Grandpas work and they decided to make everything decent except the GPU. I have a Intel Core Duo CPU E7400@2.80GHZ and my GPU is I guess a ATI Radeon HD 3450. I think, im not sure how to check for sure. It says that under Device manager and Display adapters. I think I have like 2gbs of Ram or something. "

Old thread I know, but an ATI Radeon HD 3450 is more than enough to handle the game. It runs great on my laptop which is worse than your computer in every way other than RAM (Athlon dual-core 2.1ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD 3200 GPU).

I don't think there's any GPU's made in the last 4 years that can't handle Oblivion except for the Intel Mobile Express GPU's.

The game even runs on netbooks as long as they don't have intel graphics (which, granted most netbooks have).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.