Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Oblivion Help Thread

Corsaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Corsaer

If you need help on Oblivion, ask it here, and I will solve all your problems (or at least tell you why it can't be solved). :]

• Stuck on quests
    • Glitches/bugs
    • Skills
    • Attributes
    • Monsters
    • Damage breakdown
    • Spells
    • NPCs
    • Alchemy
    • Locations
    • Anything
    THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By THE_END

Ok.... please tell me how to get around the blood grass glitch in the PS3 GoTY edition (without renting/borrowing the original game).

Not even Bethesda could send me an answer to this same question.... you are the God of Oblivion if you know a work around to this glitch.  I have tried nearly everything imaginable and nothing works. :(

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By DaveF

What IS the Bloodgrass glitch?

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By THE_END
    DaveF said:
    "What IS the Bloodgrass glitch?
    "

DaveF please view the Bloodgrass topic that I created.... I have placed a detailed description of the glitch there.
    I think it only impacts PS3 GoTY owners.  If you have the PC/360 version then you should be safe..... lucky you. ;)
    Corsaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Corsaer

As to the vampirism cure Bloodgrass glitch, once you're already a vampire, there is honestly no way around it besides acquiring a non-GoTY edition Oblivion.  But once you do have the non-GoTY disc, the fix is as quick as it takes for you to select the Bloodgrass topic when speaking to the witch.

You can keep from becoming a vampire fairly easily though.
    To become a vampire you have to contract the Porphyric Hemophilia disease (you can only get it from fighting vampires) which is just like any other disease; draining your fatigue by 5 points, but doing nothing special.  After three days of having Porphyric Hemophilia youturn in to a vampire when you next sleep.  During those initial three days however, any potion or spell of Cure Disease will... well, cure the disease.  Also, any disease resistance your character has helps you resist contracting Porphyric Hemophilia in the first place.

My advice for you for the future, if you're still not willing to shell out the cash for a rental, is to not let your character become infected for three days by Porphyric Hemophilia.  Either equip your character with disease resist items when fighting vampires, or after fighting them, use a Cure Disease spell or potion on yourself.  The vampire disease does show up in your list of permanent effects, so be sure to always check that from time to time to be certain you don't have it.

To Keep From Becoming a Vampire--Resist Disease and Cure Disease

Races that have 75% disease resistance:

•  Altmer
    • Argonian
    • Bosmer
    • Redguard

Alchemy Ingredients with Cure Disease Effect:

• Clannfear Claws (Novice)
    • Mandrake Root (Novice)
    • Root Pulp (Novice)
    • Shepherd's Pie (Novice)
    • Elf Cup Cap (Apprentice)
    • Hunger Tongue (Apprentice)
    • Red Kelp Gas Bladder (Journeyman)
    • Withering Moon (Journeyman)
    NOTE: Since the potion Cure Disease has no duration or magnitude, you can eat any of the Novice ingredients raw to achieve the same effect.

Cure Disease Spell (Journeyman Restoration level) Locations:

• Avrus Adas (Great Chapel of Zenithar in Leyawiin)
    • Isa Raman (Great Chapel of Talos in Bruma)
    • Ohtesse (Great Chapel of Arkay in Cheydinhal)
    • Orag gra-Bargol (Great Chapel of Stendarr in Chorrol)
    • Trevaia (Great Chapel of Dibella in Anvil)
    • Tumindil (Great Chapel of Julianos in Skingrad)
    • Uravasa Othrelas (Great Chapel of Mara in Bravil)

Resist Disease Sigil Stone Enchanted Items:

• 15%, Descendent Sigil Stone (Character Level: 1-4)
    • 25%, Subjacent Sigil Stone (Character Level: 5-8)
    • 35%, Latent Sigil Stone (Character Level: 9-12)
    • 45%, Ascendent Sigil Stone (Character Level: 13-16)
    • 50%, Transcendent Sigil Stone (Character Level: 17+)

I'm sorry I couldn't give you a way to fix the glitch without renting a non-GoTY edition of Oblivion, but I hope the information I gave you was useful.  :]

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By THE_END
    Corsaer said:
    "As to the vampirism cure Bloodgrass glitch, once you're already a vampire, there is honestly no way around it besides acquiring a non-GoTY edition Oblivion.  But once you do have the non-GoTY disc, the fix is as quick as it takes for you to select the Bloodgrass topic when speaking to the witch.

You can keep from becoming a vampire fairly easily though.
    To become a vampire you have to contract the Porphyric Hemophilia disease (you can only get it from fighting vampires) which is just like any other disease; draining your fatigue by 5 points, but doing nothing special.  After three days of having Porphyric Hemophilia youturn in to a vampire when you next sleep.  During those initial three days however, any potion or spell of Cure Disease will... well, cure the disease.  Also, any disease resistance your character has helps you resist contracting Porphyric Hemophilia in the first place.

My advice for you for the future, if you're still not willing to shell out the cash for a rental, is to not let your character become infected for three days by Porphyric Hemophilia.  Either equip your character with disease resist items when fighting vampires, or after fighting them, use a Cure Disease spell or potion on yourself.  The vampire disease does show up in your list of permanent effects, so be sure to always check that from time to time to be certain you don't have it.

To Keep From Becoming a Vampire--Resist Disease and Cure Disease

Races that have 75% disease resistance:

•  Altmer
    • Argonian
    • Bosmer
    • Redguard

Alchemy Ingredients with Cure Disease Effect:

• Clannfear Claws (Novice)
    • Mandrake Root (Novice)
    • Root Pulp (Novice)
    • Shepherd's Pie (Novice)
    • Elf Cup Cap (Apprentice)
    • Hunger Tongue (Apprentice)
    • Red Kelp Gas Bladder (Journeyman)
    • Withering Moon (Journeyman)
    NOTE: Since the potion Cure Disease has no duration or magnitude, you can eat any of the Novice ingredients raw to achieve the same effect.

Cure Disease Spell (Journeyman Restoration level) Locations:

• Avrus Adas (Great Chapel of Zenithar in Leyawiin)
    • Isa Raman (Great Chapel of Talos in Bruma)
    • Ohtesse (Great Chapel of Arkay in Cheydinhal)
    • Orag gra-Bargol (Great Chapel of Stendarr in Chorrol)
    • Trevaia (Great Chapel of Dibella in Anvil)
    • Tumindil (Great Chapel of Julianos in Skingrad)
    • Uravasa Othrelas (Great Chapel of Mara in Bravil)

Resist Disease Sigil Stone Enchanted Items:

• 15%, Descendent Sigil Stone (Character Level: 1-4)
    • 25%, Subjacent Sigil Stone (Character Level: 5-8)
    • 35%, Latent Sigil Stone (Character Level: 9-12)
    • 45%, Ascendent Sigil Stone (Character Level: 13-16)
    • 50%, Transcendent Sigil Stone (Character Level: 17+)

I'm sorry I couldn't give you a way to fix the glitch without renting a non-GoTY edition of Oblivion, but I hope the information I gave you was useful.  :]

"
    Thanks for your help.  I do appreciate it.  Wow... you do know alot about this game!!! ;)

How many hours have you logged in this game?
    Corsaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Corsaer

You're welcome. :]

Too many haha.
    Between the PC and 360 versions around 300 hours.

Corsaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Corsaer

One more important thing I forgot to mention:
    I read that the glitch happens ONLY when you've already completed the main quest (did you?) and then try to do the Vampire Cure quest.

If this is the case, it might be worth it to intentionally contract Porphyric Hemophilia and become a full-fledged vampire before you complete the main quest, so you can do the Vampire Cure quest.  This means you will never become a vampire again.  You can still get Porphyric Hemophilia but you will never turn in to a vampire, no matter how many days you keep the disease.

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By THE_END

No I haven't completed the main quest........ infact I was 30 hours into the game and still at the very beginning of the main quest (the part where I was told to look for the Ariel Septim son, but I decided to start doing a bunch of side quests and exploring instead.  But I still encountered the bloodgrass glitch.  Infact, I haven't even started the Knights of the Nine or the Shivering Isles yet with that character so that means the glitch can occur anytime if you happen to own the PS3 GoTY edition.........PC and 360 users are automatically safe from the glitch.

Corsaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Corsaer

Ahh, okay.
    So yeah, scratch that fix then lol.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Ok so you seemed to have played it alot. I am thinking of finally getting around to playing it myself. Is there any classes that should be avoided , or is there any classes that enhance your enjoyment of the game?.
    Corsaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Corsaer

Honestly, I would avoid any of the pre-made classes unless it looks exactly like something you would create yourself.
    A lot of people when first starting out either don't really know you can fully create your own customized class, or the creation looks confusing to them so they go with pre-made.  When you build it yourself though, you're more attached to it, I feel, since it's truly yours.

Which type of character is more fun really depends on how you want to play.  If you think you want to play up close and personal, pick warrior skills and attributes for your class, maybe throw in the Restoration or Illusion skill.  If you're the sneaky type, then it's the thief skills and attributes, along with maybe Destruction or Illusion skills.  If you prefer magic, then go with the magic skills and attributes.  Don't be afraid to pour over the game manual and read up on skills and attributes so you can make the right decision to create a character you not only want to play, but one that is functional.

One thing that is important to note however, is how Oblivion's character leveling and scaling works:
    Every enemy you fight in Oblivion will be scaled to your level.  So if your character is gaining levels mainly from using the Alchemy skill or Acrobatics or Athletics, or any other non-combat skill, then you will be at a disadvantage pretty early on until you can gain more levels by using your combat Major Skills.  Try to limit your non-combat Major Skills to one or two, and never include Alchemy as one of your Major Skills if you're worried about this.  Alchemy is insanely easy and quick to level, even without the benefit of being a Major Skill.

More information on level scaling and game mechanics below:

Very Slight Spoiler (Game Mechanics)
    Very Slight Spoiler (Game Mechanics)

Okay that thumbnail did not work out like I had planned... so let me try to fix it to make it readable.

InnerBlueAbyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By InnerBlueAbyss
    Corsaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Corsaer
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Drebin_893

Yeah, uesp.net is such an incredible sight, the breadth of knowledge is insane.

wavebreakere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wavebreakere
    @Corsaer:
    Hey, 
    I need help. 
    You know the hist the final fighters guild quest. I entered the Blackwood company building got attacked and slayed the 3 Blackwood fighters. Got Jeetum-Ze's key. And then entered his room..... No-one there. Searched room thoroughly left. No-one searched whole building no-one. Waited no-one. Entered exited as said in many help threads no-one.  
    Can you help. Its anoying that i nearly finished fighters guild but just can't finish it. (Finished every other guild)! After this quest gonna move to shivering isles..... 
    Ty

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.