Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Oblivion on PC: Best mods

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Patchinko

Got a nice new video card coming tomorrow or Thursday and, of course, I'm going to immediately play Oblivion after I install it. :D

But I remember clearly hating two things about this game:

1) The attribute levelling system is terrible.

2) The voices.

I can ignore #2. But #1, I know there are some good mods out there that can change the way attributes and characters level. This page has quite a few listed, but I'm unclear which is "best".

Here's the ones they list:

• Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (abbreviated as OOO): None of currently available game balancing mods are perfect, so it is hard to recommend any single one; however, Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul is likely the most popular one. New! Version 1.33 Final has been released - see here.
    • Francesco's leveled creatures items mod multilanguage ("Francesco's mod"): Tired that nearly all creatures level up with you? Bored that at level 25 all bandits of the world are god-like ones with daedric equipment? Then this mod is for you. This mod has similar effects as the OOO mod above (the OOO mod has a bunch of other game balance changes also), however since designed by another individual the changes are not quite the same. It is advised to check out the list of changes for both mods before deciding upon either one.
    • AF Leveling or Kobu's Character Advancement System (KCAS): If the whole idea of efficient leveling bothers you, you should try out one of these two mods. You will no longer have to worry about avoiding training the wrong skill and accidentally missing out on precious +5 attribute bonus. Lets you just play and your attributes go up automatically according to your skills.
    • Simbacca's Player Advancement Method (S.P.A.M.): An alternative to the above AF and KCAS player levelling systems, S.P.A.M. also is for those who are bothered by the idea of efficient leveling. However S.P.A.M. also addresses the issue of , for example, having to make your Swordsman character use a bow, pick locks, or crawl around just to get a decent Agility increase. S.P.A.M. completely removes the connection between skill-use and attribute-increases. Instead, at-level-up attribute modifiers are determined by specialization and favored attributes. In the soon to be released S.P.A.M. ver 2.0, there will also be an optional configuration menu, allowing the player to adjust how much their attribute modifiers are affected.
    • not Galsiah's Character Development (nGCD): Another alternative to AF, KCAS and S.P.A.M. nGCD is a smooth character advancement system. As your skills progress, your attributes and level are automatically increased; there is no interruption, no "level up" screen, and no time wasted managing multipliers. The system through which your abilities are derived bears little resemblance to the standard Oblivion system, and you will find that different sorts of characters play very differently; each path has great weaknesses as well as great strengths. The OMOD version is herenGCD works well together with Progress

Anyone tried these. If so, what did you think?

As for mods I've used that I liked:

• Darnified UI by DarN (1.3 MB): Includes a tweaked version of the highly popular BTMod in a convenient OBMM distribution. Includes many optional improvements that modify the UI including smaller list font, larger window sizes, and additional HUD information. Basically it's the PC interface as it should have been.
      • DarkUI'd DarN by Gothic251 (16.6 MB OMOD install, 29.0 MB Manual Install): Combining DarkUI and DarNified UI flawlessly, this mod is simply the darker version of DarNified UI. Always based off the latest version of DarNified UI, combined with the last version of DarkUI by Darkbirdy, it has the modularity of DarNified UI and the dark red textures of DarkUI.

Qarl's Texture Pack III
      (1.7 GB): Meshes and textures in Oblivion are now 4 times the resolution of the vanilla textures. Dungeons, architecture, rocks, landscapes, butterflies, snowflakes, and blood splatters are now much, much more photo realistic. A huge 1.7 GB download but well worth it. Be aware that if you have a lower-end PC or only a mid-range graphics card, this pack could cause severe slow-down and make the game nearly unplayable.

Quest Award Leveler
      : A very popular mod, this mod makes level-scaled rewards from quests be upgraded to their higher versions as you reach the level for those versions. Thus your quest rewards go up in power at the same time you do. This allows you to do the quests in whatever order you like without worrying about getting stuck with the wimpy version of the quest reward. A version that is compatible with Battlehorn Castle can be acquired here.
      Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

The only one out of those that I am currently using is Francesco's leveled creatures and items mod and that basically fixed all my problems with the game. If you want Oblivion to be a much more difficult challenge alltogether then, yes, OOO would be one of the best mods because it basically takes everything about Oblivion and changes it to be more akin to Morrowind (maybe harder?). You will probably end up dying a lot more but it pays off in the end when you get all the great gear and you know that you actually worked for it. If you're looking for some other good mods, you could also try ones like open cities which makes the transition from wilderness to city seamless (no loading times!!!), darker dungeons which is pretty self explanatory, and Qarl's normal maps which is just another a cosmetic mod but I like it.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Patchinko

Qarl's mods in general are a must-have (if you have enough VRAM, that is). :)

Thanks for the advice!

I'm also wondering if anyone's tried AF/KCAS/SPAM/nGCD here (they're listed above).

Like I said in the OP, I really don't like how attributes level up based on the number of times you used abilities under that attribute's heading before leveling up, looking for something that "fixes" or replaces that.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By pause422

awesome list, I'll have to check some out, get my new PC in just a few weeks, so I'll be able to get all the nice graphic update mods as well.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Patchinko
      pause422 said:
      "awesome list, I'll have to check some out, get my new PC in just a few weeks, so I'll be able to get all the nice graphic update mods as well."
      Definitely worth it. They take an already beautiful game and make it truly astounding.
      Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Demilich

The only two I never turn off are OOO and Bank of Cyrodiil. It's sooo helpful having a place to store your stuff where you know it'll be safe.

Trilvester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Trilvester

I reccommend  Kobu's Character Advancement System.  Its kinda hard to get it to work the way you want it but its awesome once you figure it out.   I used KCAS with OOO and with both the game leveled exactly how I wanted.

Check this site out too. http://aelius28.googlepages.com/home.  It has tons of mods with ratings and descriptions of all the good ones.
      Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Patchinko
      Demilich said:
      "The only two I never turn off are OOO and Bank of Cyrodiil. It's sooo helpful having a place to store your stuff where you know it'll be safe."

Yeah, I always use a house mod so I have a place I can fast-travel to and store my stuff. The bank seems even better, considering the interest and ability to withdraw at a merchant.

Trilvester said:
      "I reccommend  Kobu's Character Advancement System.  Its kinda hard to get it to work the way you want it but its awesome once you figure it out.   I used KCAS with OOO and with both the game leveled exactly how I wanted.
      Check this site out too. http://aelius28.googlepages.com/home.  It has tons of mods with ratings and descriptions of all the good ones.
      "

Excellent, thanks. Some of the weapon/armor ones look good and I haven't tried any of those previously also.
      TripleAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By TripleAgent

I use Natural Environments most. It makes the world look MUCH better.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Demyx

I really need a new gaming desktop.

I Want those MODS.
      Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Patchinko
      TripleAgent said:
      "I use Natural Environments most. It makes the world look MUCH better."
      Cool, looking for something that does that. Not that it doesn't already look good, but yeah.
      atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By atejas

Hmm, thanks. Must check that out when(if) I get a new comp.

elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By elbon

deadly reflexs 
      deadly reflexs
      deadly reflexs  
      deadly reflexs
      deadly reflexs  
      Only mod i never turn off

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.