Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Oblivion Still Amazes Me

• 67 results
    MrSoKoLoV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By MrSoKoLoV

No Caption Provided
    I am replaying Oblivion, cause well, no good games are out there on this moment. Mafia 2 is still a week away (live in Europe), Medal of Honor & Fallout New Vegas are released in Oktober. CoD Black Ops doesn't interest me (with all the noobs, camping, rank cheating and much more). LA Noire would be released this year, but still not much is known about the game. And I Am Alive & Dragon Age 2 Rise To Power are probably next year, the same can be said about The Darkness 2 and Socom US Navy Seals 4.

No Caption Provided
    I am doing almost every mission in Oblivion and still this game rules, like when I played it the first time. If the game would be released now, with a little bit of better graphics here and there, it would still rock the gaming world. I am a huge fan of Fallout to, but they should begin making Elder Scrolls 5. The world is so immensive, that when you keep exploring it, you still find new places and people. The game contains so much missions, action, humor, lore, violence and more, you can't really find many games to wich you can compare it to. Still it has it flaws, yesterday the Bleak Mine Guards (Lord Drad Mission) where on the bridge to the prison (I got arrested and was released) and they just started murdering everyone in town (Skingrad) except me. They killed about 3 NPC's (not needed for other missions) and about 9 Skingrad Guards before I stepped in and killed them, It was not necessary but otherwise all Skingrad would have been killed. And then you have the voice acting, we all know that to many people in Cyrodill have the same voice and that can ruin your game experience. At last we have the bugs and glitches and the occasional freeze.

So hopefully they start making Elder Scrolls 5 after Fallout NV or Fallout 4 (also confirmed), cause it's about time don't you think?

PS: I play this game on the Playstation 3, just so you know.
    MrSoKoLoV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MrSoKoLoV

No Caption Provided
    I am replaying Oblivion, cause well, no good games are out there on this moment. Mafia 2 is still a week away (live in Europe), Medal of Honor & Fallout New Vegas are released in Oktober. CoD Black Ops doesn't interest me (with all the noobs, camping, rank cheating and much more). LA Noire would be released this year, but still not much is known about the game. And I Am Alive & Dragon Age 2 Rise To Power are probably next year, the same can be said about The Darkness 2 and Socom US Navy Seals 4.

No Caption Provided
    I am doing almost every mission in Oblivion and still this game rules, like when I played it the first time. If the game would be released now, with a little bit of better graphics here and there, it would still rock the gaming world. I am a huge fan of Fallout to, but they should begin making Elder Scrolls 5. The world is so immensive, that when you keep exploring it, you still find new places and people. The game contains so much missions, action, humor, lore, violence and more, you can't really find many games to wich you can compare it to. Still it has it flaws, yesterday the Bleak Mine Guards (Lord Drad Mission) where on the bridge to the prison (I got arrested and was released) and they just started murdering everyone in town (Skingrad) except me. They killed about 3 NPC's (not needed for other missions) and about 9 Skingrad Guards before I stepped in and killed them, It was not necessary but otherwise all Skingrad would have been killed. And then you have the voice acting, we all know that to many people in Cyrodill have the same voice and that can ruin your game experience. At last we have the bugs and glitches and the occasional freeze.

So hopefully they start making Elder Scrolls 5 after Fallout NV or Fallout 4 (also confirmed), cause it's about time don't you think?

PS: I play this game on the Playstation 3, just so you know.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

I'd kill for an Elder Scrolls 5. And more voiceactors. :P

MrSoKoLoV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrSoKoLoV
    @CrazyChris said:

" I'd kill for an Elder Scrolls 5. And more voiceactors. :P "

That's more than true. How many times I hear a specific voice and approach it, it suddenly turns in to the same voice I have heard about 100 times and more, still counting . 

But still it remains awesome with all the people in Oblivion and the Realm of Sheogorath.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ProfessorEss

I realize Oblivion is a considerably older game making it that much more impressive, but I just went back to Fallout 3 a few days ago to play some of the DLC and got the same reaction.

If they put everything they've learned from Oblivion and Fallout into a new Elder Scrolls I can not imagine how incredible that game could be.

I've never beat Oblivion (I had a real beef with the leveling system) but I'd really like to put that behind me and take another stab at that beast.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By pweidman

More ES would be awesome.  Absolutely loved Oblivion.  And after Fallout New Vegas, I'm pretty sure I'll have had enough Fallout.  I thought Bethesda would be all over another ES when they gave New Vegas to Obsidian...someday I hope.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @pweidman said:
    I thought Bethesda would be all over another ES when they gave New Vegas to Obsidian...someday I hope. "
    I'm just nervous that they're putting all their resources into an MMO.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By penguindust

I still play it.  It's one of the few games I bought for the console then again for the PC.  My current game is modded out the wazoo which breathed new life into it for me as I get to play around with all the wild and wacky add-ons that people have made for the game.  I believe Fallout 3 has the edge in many pure game play aspects, but Oblivion is still better than most of the stuff that has dropped onto store shelves since its arrival.   An Elder Scrolls 5 sounds to me like something that would be announced at E3 although with Game Informer getting all these scoops these days, I guess something could come earlier.  If not, that means no hard info until sometime in 2011.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ignor

Compared to Morrowind, Oblivion is your run-of-the-mill generic fantasy setting with copy+paste dungeons and worthless loot.
    The story was classic good vs. evil trite and the art direction was a result of watching The Lord of the Rings one time too many.
    I do like the crazyness of the "Radiant A.I", though.
    The game is not that bad per se, it's just that it dissapointed me compared to Morrowind, a game that pleasantly surprised me.
    But hey, that's just my opinion.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

The thing that bothered me the most about Oblivion was how small everything was, The Imperial city for example was supposed to be the Capital of an empire which stretches over an entire continent, yet there are only a couple of buildings and maybe a 100 people living there. I remember hearing about it in Morrowind and was so disappointed when I saw it in Oblivion for the first time.

I can't wait for another ES 5 though, as long as it isn't an MMO.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Azteck
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " I realize Oblivion is a considerably older game making it that much more impressive, but I just went back to Fallout 3 a few days ago to play some of the DLC and got the same reaction.  If they put everything they've learned from Oblivion and Fallout into a new Elder Scrolls I can not imagine how incredible that game could be.  I've never beat Oblivion (I had a real beef with the leveling system) but I'd really like to put that behind me and take another stab at that beast. "
    Maybe if they worked on the graphics and animation some as well. The games look like they are from 2005.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pweidman
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @pweidman said:
    I thought Bethesda would be all over another ES when they gave New Vegas to Obsidian...someday I hope. "
    I'm just nervous that they're putting all their resources into an MMO. "

God I hope not.   

And if you do jump back into Oblivion, try a melee focused character maybe.  I played a pure brawler, and the leveling enemies became irrelevant after getting the good gear.  But that lvling style in ES:4 was by far the most hated feature of many a gamer.
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#12  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I've been playing Oblivion a lot in the last couple of weeks, trying to actually do the story stuff (and other quests), instead of just spending hours rolling new characters, running around the world and getting killed as I did when I got it about a year ago.

I love Oblivion so far, I love Jeremy Soules soundtrack and just how much there is to see in the world.

Sure, the cities are extremely small, but the only problems I really have with the game is the already mentioned lack of voice actors and how the story is too separated from what you do in the game. I don't think I have heard more than 10 different voices in the game so far, and it gets really ugly when two people with the same voices start talking to each other, and it probably wouldn't have hurt if they had something like in Mass Effect where you get punished for running away and doing something else when the entire world is about to get overrun with demons, or just would have done something more like in Morrowind and Fallout 3 where you don't feel like you're breaking the story when you go exploring.

Yeah, I hope I won't have to wait too many years for TES 5.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By No0b0rAmA

What platform are you playing it on? PC or something else?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14  Edited By natetodamax

I'm actually thinking about playing some more Oblivion. I dare say it is one of the greatest games I've ever played.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By 71Ranchero

I always thought Oblivion was a broken and disjointed mess of a game. Poor combat didn't help much either.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By skrutop
    @Ignor said:
    "Compared to Morrowind, Oblivion is your run-of-the-mill generic fantasy setting with copy+paste dungeons and worthless loot."
    I really liked Oblivion's presentation, but you're totally right.  Morrowind was so much more interesting and unique.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By hockeymask27

weird started playing it today again. Then came here and saw this topic. Whatever back to killin mud crabs.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By senrat

I want a new Elder Scrolls more than another fallout. Im a huge fan of both series though.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ignor
    @Hockeymask27 said:

" weird started playing it today again. Then came here and saw this topic. Whatever back to killin mud crabs. "

"I saw a mudcrab the other day. Nasty little creatures."
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By natetodamax
    @Ignor said:
    " @Hockeymask27 said:

" weird started playing it today again. Then came here and saw this topic. Whatever back to killin mud crabs. "

"I saw a mudcrab the other day. Nasty little creatures." "
    I was in a bar once and a member of the Blackwood Company (Fighter's Guild related) actually said that. Kinda weird, considering he had a huge sword and giant armor.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Cornman89

Just jumped back into it yesterday, started a Rogue/Mage hybrid. The leveling system is head-bangingly unintuitive, and the old Bethesda presentation issues have only been exacerbated by time, but goddamn it's still one hell of a game.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By natetodamax

Am I the only one who didn't have a problem with the leveling system? During the 200 hours or so I've spent with the game, I never once said "Man, the leveling system is garbage!" So what if I level up sometimes by running or jumping, to me that just means I get upgrade my character faster.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ignor
    @natetodamax said:

"I was in a bar once and a member of the Blackwood Company (Fighter's Guild related) actually said that. Kinda weird, considering he had a huge sword and giant armor. "

Man, the Imperial Legion is an epic bunch! I met one on a road somewhere near Lake Rumare.
    All of a sudden he dismounted his horse, drew his blade and went berserk on a mudcrab that was chilling at the beach.
    Then, he ran zigzag in random directions until he found another mudcrab.
    He continued to fight mudcrabs for a while, all the while yelling battlecries and stuff like "I've fought mudcrabs more fiercer than you".
    After he'd killed off every mudcrab in the vicinity, he went dead serious and pretended like nothing had happened. =/
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @natetodamax said:
    " Am I the only one who didn't have a problem with the leveling system? During the 200 hours or so I've spent with the game, I never once said "Man, the leveling system is garbage!" So what if I level up sometimes by running or jumping, to me that just means I get upgrade my character faster. "
    I didn't have a huge problem with the leveling system. Certainly, I think some aspects of it could be improved, conceptually and mechanically (i.e. less cheese-able skills. No more acrobatics), but at least it makes somewhat more sense than: Arbitrary Number of XP = Level up. Also, they should go back to having 6 weapon categories instead of 3 (Short Blade, Long Blade, Axe, Blunt, Spear, Hand to Hand). Come on. Spears would be awesome.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By natetodamax
    @Ignor: Now I really want to play, haha. 

Oh man, that reminded me of something amazing that happened to me once. You know the settlement Hackdirt, where all the people hate outsiders? Well I angered them so much that they started attacking me, and I ran away. One guy chased me for a while but I lost him. When I returned to the nearby city of Anvil, as soon as I got into the city the man that was chasing me APPEARED and started attacking me. So the guards ran over and destroyed him. Ever since then his body is still lying there, in front of the gates. It was hilarious.
    crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crusnchill

I'm not trying to show off, I'm simply trying to prove how much of a gamer-gasm I'd get for Elder Scrolls V. 

Look at my personal gamerscore, I have ALL of the achievements for Oblivion and Fallout 3 on PC, and a large majority of the Fallout 3 achievements on Xbox 360. 

I mean, while there's cheats to get the achievements on PC, I didn't type a single one in and will eventually have all of the xbox 360 achievements for Fallout 3 too. :-) 

I can't wait for any ES games or Fallout games to come out, and I'll play them over and over (within reason) for the rest of my life.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Pinworm45

I really want to get into this game. I've tried, many many times. In fact I'd say I have at least 25+ hours into it, total. But I just can't. I find it frustrating how sometimes enemies die easily, and other times they require you to constantly run backwards while attacking and doing almost no damage until they die. That just kills the game for me. I've boughten it 3 times, including the other day on the steam sale, and I feel like the world is so awesome that I could easily get immersed if I could just get passed that. Plus, the dark brotherhood quests are awesome. 

Does anyone have any advice? Maybe mods that make the enemy HP less all over the place? Because seriously, the high HP enemies are just annoying as hell to fight. It's not like I ever die to them either, it just takes sooo long and is frustrating. 

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By ReyGitano

Oblivion is my favorite game of this generation. There have been better games, but nothing amazed me like the first time I got out of that prison and stepped into the world.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By oraknabo

I'm much more into sci-fi than fantasy and generally liked Fallout 3 more.  
    I played through Fallout 3 twice and never even finished half of the main quest in Oblivion, but I have recently been reading Livin' in Oblivion and it really makes me want to start over an try again.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ignor

Once I climbed atop the maintstay in an Inn in Bruma and started perforating the local clientele with arrows.
    Those poor guards had a hard time trying to apprehend me.

I remember the E3 videos. What could have been.

Instead we got this:

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lukeweizer

It's one of the few games that I've S-Ranked, but want to play more.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gike987
    @natetodamax said:

" Am I the only one who didn't have a problem with the leveling system? During the 200 hours or so I've spent with the game, I never once said "Man, the leveling system is garbage!" So what if I level up sometimes by running or jumping, to me that just means I get upgrade my character faster. "

One thing that annoyed me is the fact that the health increase of endurance is not retroactive so you always ended up maxing it out as fast as you could to get the most hit-points.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Not to be a troll, but I'm still amazed that so many people actually like it, despite all of it's annoyances and problems. I feel like it really had a lot of potential, but I've never been able to enjoy it much, unfortunately.

Oh, and dude, no good games out now? You're nuts, sir.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Must be going around, I been playing Oblivion pretty heavy all week.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By natetodamax
    @Ignor: I want to know why they didn't go all the way with the Radiant AI. The E3 demo was awesome; makes me wish that stuff actually happened.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By grilledcheez

This makes me want to make a new character...but I have to finish so many other games first :(

hjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hjr
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " Not to be a troll, but I'm still amazed that so many people actually like it, despite all of it's annoyances and problems. I feel like it really had a lot of potential, but I've never been able to enjoy it much, unfortunately.  Oh, and dude, no good games out now? You're nuts, sir. "
    i felt this way even though i finished. If they could just incorporate the story better like bioware did with dragon age then i think it would be epic
    Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Forever

At quakecon Tod Howard said 
     "One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us. It's pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there's a lot of game there to play right now."
     Thats straight off the the elder scrolls wiki, and i really hope its the next elder scrolls. Ive overkilled oblivion but i do feel like playing shivering isles again, again with all this talk lol.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @natetodamax said:
    " @Ignor: I want to know why they didn't go all the way with the Radiant AI. The E3 demo was awesome; makes me wish that stuff actually happened. "
    The demo was staged. He would suggest things before they would happen.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By natetodamax
    @TheMustacheHero: That's what I figured.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I bought the deluxe edition with all the extra content. I just installed it yesterday on my pc yet I also have another copy of the orginal game somewhere. I just hope it still holds up today, which it will. Also it's nice to play every dlc content there is. So far i'm not even out of the first dungeon from the first level. I'll binge with a ton of oblivion tonight.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By sopranosfan

I may start this game again soon.  The best 360 game of the first year or two of the 360 and still one of the top 10 released on the 360.  I still need some achievements I just hope I don't catch the vampire disease this time.  I haven't played in a while but it seems like I went into the final battle being a vampire and the sun was a major problem for me.
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By bibledoctor

I may have moved from the 360 to the PC for my Elder Scrolls fix, but I still cannot get enough of Oblivion. One of the best games of all time, the beautiful scenery coupled with Jeremy Soule's amazing soundtrack leads to hours of endless enjoyment doing absolutely nothing in the game.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By aleryn

Yeah played the hell out of it too.  Would like to see the voice acting canned, though.  Or roll it back to Morrowind levels.  Limits dialogue and story depth too much, having to voice every-last-thing.

And I hope they're not working toward an MMO, ugh... enough of those already.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @crusnchill said:
    "

I'm not trying to show off, I'm simply trying to prove how much of a gamer-gasm I'd get for Elder Scrolls V. 

Look at my personal gamerscore, I have ALL of the achievements for Oblivion and Fallout 3 on PC, and a large majority of the Fallout 3 achievements on Xbox 360. 

I mean, while there's cheats to get the achievements on PC, I didn't type a single one in and will eventually have all of the xbox 360 achievements for Fallout 3 too. :-) 

I can't wait for any ES games or Fallout games to come out, and I'll play them over and over (within reason) for the rest of my life.

"
    I'm pretty sure there are no Achievements for Oblivion PC. It's not a GFWL title and the Steam release does not use Steamcloud. Only the 360 and PS3 versions of the game had Achievements, AFAIK.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ignor said:

" Compared to Morrowind, Oblivion is your run-of-the-mill generic fantasy setting with copy+paste dungeons and worthless loot.
    The story was classic good vs. evil trite and the art direction was a result of watching The Lord of the Rings one time too many.
    I do like the crazyness of the "Radiant A.I", though.
    The game is not that bad per se, it's just that it dissapointed me compared to Morrowind, a game that pleasantly surprised me. But hey, that's just my opinion. "

The thing about Morrowind though is that it does not have a timeless quality. The only Morrowind enthusiasts are those that played it when it came out. People who never played Morrowind would have a hell of a time trying to get into it now.
    Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ignor
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " The thing about Morrowind though is that it does not have a timeless quality. The only Morrowind enthusiasts are those that played it when it came out. People who never played Morrowind would have a hell of a time trying to get into it now. "
    I disagree, tried Morrowind 4 years after its release and loved it. The game's atmosphere sucked me right in!
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ignor:  But at the very least you have to agree that the game has several mechanics that would be an instant turn-off to most modern gamers.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By c1337us
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @pweidman said:
    I'm just nervous that they're putting all their resources into an MMO. "
    If it turns out to be an MMO I am going to be sad.
    Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ignor
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @Ignor:  But at the very least you have to agree that the game has several mechanics that would be an instant turn-off to most modern gamers. "
    Yes, which is why Oblivion ultimately became a console game ported to Windows.
    Here's something that pretty much sums up my problems with Oblivion, even though I don't necessarily agree that it outright sucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.