Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Should I give this another shot? (and $30)

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Punk1984

I've been finishing up Dragon Age:Origins ( plus the expansion) on my PS3 and I have the feeling it might not tide me over through the spring. I have the sword and sorcery itch and I was thinking about pickign up the PS3 GOTY edition of Oblivion. I didn't totally skip Oblivion when it was released I rented it and played for about 10 hours. I got frustrated with the level scaling and lost interest in the story. Should I go ahead and pick up a copy of my own to play until Skyrim come out?

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By myke_tuna

I would say no. Just wait for Skyrim. I can't think of any other game to tide you over until then except DA2, but I'm not sure if you're one of the folks that doesn't think it's similar enough to DA:O to be worth playing. I haven't played it myself, so I wouldn't know.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

I think you should buy it. If you properly allocate your points, level-scaling won't be a problem. I got so strong that I would run in the city and fight all the guards just because I could. I really wish I kept that save.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Punk1984:  Oblivion and Dragon Age are not the same thing. At all. And if you are looking for the kind of experience Dragon Age offers in Oblivion, you are playing the wrong game. However, if you want an open world RPG with a wide swath of content and a lot of stuff to do, Oblivion is your game, assuming you weren't big into Morrowind and love constantly reminding everyone how much better Morrowind is than Oblivion. I wouldn't pay that much for a 5 year old game though. Bet you could totally get it for less than $30 at this point. Probably even less than $20, if you were willing to search or buy it used.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

Play Fallout 3 and wait for Skyrim.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By yoshimitz707

Yeah, basically what Axxol said. If you spec yourself right  you just wreck everything in the game

norton123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By norton123

Kind of surprised it's $30. It is a lot of content, though. I suppose I would say go for it. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the level scaling is the only thing that turned you away, I would say to go for it. The same thing happened to me on my initial playthrough, and I was turned off of the game for months. Then I went back and leveled properly, and the game held my attention for hundreds of hours. 

It sucks that you have to level "properly," but it's the only thing holding the game back in my opinion.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Punk1984
    @myketuna: I'm trying to save some money and most of what I've heard about DA2 has turned me off. 

@Axxol: When you say 'properly' does that mean I'll end up playing a maxed out class even if I really don't want to. Is there an organic way to play that won't leave me a weakling that needs his mommy? 

@ArbitraryWater: I don't want an experience exactly like DA:O. I only played Morrowind for a few days in college; but I was a huge fan of Daggerfall. I just want a good meaty game that will let me be the character I want to be. 

@HandsomeDead: I tried playing Fallout 3 but my save kept glitching out. After I reached the radio station twice and couldn't get in it I gave up. Is the new one much better? Stabler? 

@norton123: $30 was just what they quoted on Amazon. 

@animathias: Am I going to need to pour over guides and FAQS to find out how to level properly or is it just some stupid mistakes I made on my first playthough.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Vinny_Says

I'm sure you can find it for cheaper out there, even though it's worth way more than $30.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Punk1984:  You can be the character you want to be, as long as that character uses a blade. I mean, it's fairly obvious that in every fantasy RPG ever made the best weapons are always swords. Always. Just don't expect the billions of invalid character builds like in Daggerfall.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Punk1984 said:

@Axxol: When you say 'properly' does that mean I'll end up playing a maxed out class even if I really don't want to. Is there an organic way to play that won't leave me a weakling that needs his mommy? 

No, I'm saying that if you use sense when you spend attribute points, you'll have a better chance of surviving. Strategy plays a big part in the game too. If you're unsure of how to build your character, there are several sites dedicated to helping people. Don't let the level-scaling keep you from a good gaming experience. 
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By fox01313
    @Punk1984:
    After sinking in a ton of hours in Oblivion I'd might say no but there are some great moments in it that you can have a few different characters for each to just see this stuff (first three are highly recommended): 

*Quest surrounding the Sheogorath's Shrine between Bravil and Leyawiin
    *Assassin & thief guild quests 
    *Mage guild quests  

*also fighter guild & arena quess are interesting but not as interesting as other guilds (better than the main story) 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Punk1984:

Nah, no FAQs or guides needed. I'm not sure about your particular issue, but mine was from playing as an Archer / Bard-type character.

The whole problem with the scaling is that whether or not you make your character stronger, tougher, etc.. All the enemies become stronger with each level.

You only really need one piece of advice: Make a custom class and keep the skills you'll use most of the time as minor abilities. Put the skills you'll use, but not constantly, as your major ones. It's counter intuitive, but it's strangely how the game works.

For example, if you're playing as a Warrior, keep Blade and Block as minor abilities and put something like Lockpicking and Alchemy as your majors. Your overall leveling will slow down, but so will the leveling of the enemies, and at the same time your combat proficiency shoots up with each battle. This also has the added bonus of (in this case) giving you a larger bonus for Strength and Endurance with each level up.

It wouldn't hurt to look at a character guide just to learn exactly how the leveling system works, but it's not needed. It's also certainly not something you'll need to have open as you play - just good info to have in the back of your mind. But what I told you is the most important part of it all to keep in mind.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Axxol said:
    " I think you should buy it. If you properly allocate your points, level-scaling won't be a problem. I got so strong that I would run in the city and fight all the guards just because I could. I really wish I kept that save. "
    You can also just decrease the difficulty. 

Also, with the correct combination of items, you can basically make yourself completely invincible (i.e. 100% Resist Magic and 100% Reflect Damage is possible with the right combination of armor and accessories)
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By warxsnake

Hopefully Witcher 2 is right around the corner. Wait for that instead. At this point I'd only play Oblivion on PC with dozens of mods to overhaul it in gameplay, visual and UI aspects. 

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Kyle

I would say give it another shot, but go in with the mindset that the real stars of the show in Oblivion are the side quests, not the main story. I played oblivion for close to a hundred hours and never finished the main story, because it wasn't what was the most intersting. 
     The quests for the thieves guild and dark brotherhood are particularly good. 

If not, you could always just play Dragon Age II, since that just came out.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you aren't getting the PC version of Oblivion I'd skip it.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kyle
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " If you aren't getting the PC version of Oblivion I'd skip it. "
    Huh? Why do you say that? I have both versions and find them totally comparable.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kyle said:
    " @President_Barackbar said:
    Huh? Why do you say that? I have both versions and find them totally comparable. "
    Are you joking? The ability to add mods to the PC version COMPLETELY changes everything.
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Leptok
    @Kyle said:
    Huh? Why do you say that? I have both versions and find them totally comparable. "
    Mods, there is a shit ton of Oblivion mods.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kyle
    " @Kyle said:
    Are you joking? The ability to add mods to the PC version COMPLETELY changes everything. "
    Oh I thought you were just talking about the game itself. I dunno, mods are fine but they're nothing to skip the whole game over.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kyle said:
    " @Kyle said:
    Are you joking? The ability to add mods to the PC version COMPLETELY changes everything. "
    Oh I thought you were just talking about the game itself. I dunno, mods are fine but they're nothing to skip the whole game over. "
    Perhaps I was a bit harsh, I had Oblivion on the 360 originally but was really blown away with the PC version and mods so much that I find it hard to recommend the console versions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" @Kyle said:
    " @Kyle said:
    Oh I thought you were just talking about the game itself. I dunno, mods are fine but they're nothing to skip the whole game over. "
    Perhaps I was a bit harsh, I had Oblivion on the 360 originally but was really blown away with the PC version and mods so much that I find it hard to recommend the console versions. "
    I put 400 hours into Oblivion on the 360 before I ever had a PC competent enough to run it. When I finally did end up trying the PC version, I was actually disappointed - likely because everyone praised how superior it was. It is superior, but it's not a major difference. The mods add some cool things to the game, but they weren't as ground-breaking as I thought going in. The vanilla game + expansions gives you plenty of awesome content that people shouldn't be scared to get the console version if they can't play the PC one. That said, the PC version is the way to go if your PC can handle it as well as the 360 - which shouldn't be a problem with any sort of competent, modern machine.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By warxsnake

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.