Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 04, 2014

An MMORPG set in the world of Nirn, focusing on the familiar continent of Tamriel, taking place a thousand years before The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

Elder Scrolls Online Misconceptions

• 52 results
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Funkydupe

Elder Scrolls Online: The Misconception

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

Kind of nuts that they needed to make a video like this.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By bibamatt

"So you're probably wondering how you're gonna find all your friends on this enormous server but it's actually not that complicated".

You'll find them easily because there'll be no one else playing it. ZING.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By project343

@Breadfan said:

They're a fansite for a game that has only been trickling out information. I imagine they have all sorts of free time.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By inkerman

Yep, it's an MMO, not interested.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By breadfan

@project343 said:

@Breadfan said:

They're a fansite for a game that has only been trickling out information. I imagine they have all sorts of free time.

Guess I had my own misconception. Totally thought Tamriel Foundry was a studio.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By FreakAche
    Provinces are going to be their appropriate size, which means that Skyrim in the single player game is going to be the same size as Skyrim in The Elder Scrolls Online.

Wow! The entirety of Tamriel using the same scale as the single player games? That's ambitious!

However not all areas of each province are going to be available at launch. Zenimax has already stated that they're saving specific areas in each province for future content releases.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By BaneFireLord

So psyched for this to go free to play so I can play it for three hours and then never touch it again!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Bollard

Misconceptions:

1. It's an Elder Scrolls game.
    Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Levio

I'm mad because they're making an MMO based on a franchise I like! Time to tell everyone how much its going to fail!

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Xeirus

@bibamatt said:

"So you're probably wondering how you're gonna find all your friends on this enormous server but it's actually not that complicated".

Well you sure did take that line out of context, great job!

I was actually not interested at all in the game originally, but I think I'm coming around on it. I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Well, after finishing the video, he states at the end that "not everyone can go everywhere"... that doesn't sit well with me.... this is ES, the whole point is to go everywhere...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

Every time I try to play an MMO they just seem more boring than the last. I can never get past the 50 hour mark on any of them without burning out completely. I don't think this will be any different. For such a unique franchise this game looks generic as hell, and really really dull.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmilingPig

You know that your game will be a winner when you have to make a video to justify it before launch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

MMORPGs great in theory, horrible in practice.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cold_Wolven

@bibamatt said:

That's brilliant!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By fattony12000

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

How do I know if the youtube video I want to make a topic about will be considered spam or not?

• It really depends on two things - the content of the video, and the quality of the written commentary you intend to post with it.
    • Any and all content you post, upload or create on the site must always be within our rules and guidelines. These can be found within the forum rules topic.
    • Usually one or two well written and decent sized paragraphs to go along with the video should be enough for it to not be considered spam. If you feel you cannot write that reasonable and adequate amount of original commentary on the video to inspire discussion value in your topic, then chances are you shouldn't make the topic.
    • If you are an existing member of our community and put together a video about a game and attach it to the correct forum, this is probably fine to share as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/please-read-the-u-toob-spam-stops-now/271975

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @SmilingPig: even though this was made by a fan site and not the developer 
    musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By musclerider

Misconception : masses of people caring about an MMO in 2012

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By grilledcheez

I'm still willing to try it, I won't expect the same level of quality, but if there are interesting quests and things related to the lore, I'll be happy.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SocietySays

This has been in development for a while right? Like before Star Wars and DCUO came out? Because if I was the head of a studio and someone came to me with an idea for a subscription based MMO, they would be fired on the spot.

That said, once this goes f2p (and it will) I will give it a try.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By project343

@musclerider said:

Guild Wars 2 and Pandaria are both huge?

danmcn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By danmcn12

The only hook was the combat and it sounds like it is normal MMO combat but with the chore of left clicking for every attack.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By cornbredx

I think the only misconception is that people think this will be a game changer. 
    I predict it will be an MMO and do nothing special with the genre 

Go ahead and mark my words so you can quote me in a few years.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#25  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

Seems like if you really wanted to play this MMO you should know most of this by now.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By mike

@Jonny_Anonymous: This is bordering on spam but at least it's relevant and in the correct forum. At least edit the first post with some commentary or something...tell us why you're posting the video and why anyone should bother watching it. Otherwise it's just a random video from the internet that didn't need it's own topic.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Seppli

@KrypticKiller said:

This has been in development for a while right? Like before Star Wars and DCUO came out? Because if I was the head of a studio and someone came to me with an idea for a subscription based MMO, they would be fired on the spot.

Do we know if it's subscription based or not? I'm not aware of any official announcements regarding its business model. Seeing how much of its concepts are iterations of what we have with Guild Wars 2, I wouldn't be surprised if they went a similar route - shoot straight for the fullprice game without subscription fee hybrid - which is so much more tasteful than straight forward free 2 play.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EXTomar

Great, a fansite is always full of accurate information. Is there a particular reason why we should take anything in that video any more seriously than fanboys who think their latest fixation is going to be great?

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Wampa1

@Seppli: A few months ago I'd have been surprised to be even entertaining the notion of releasing this without a sub. But the "pay once" model makes sense here. With Guild Wars 2 seeming profitable and Secret World following suit I hope they see the value in it. Pay once makes sense because it means the people playing still have some commitment to sticking with it, but don't feel forced by the monthly re-up to keep going.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By project343

@Wampa1: B2P + content packs (mini-expansions) are the way of the future for the MMO genre. It doesn't force the user to be in an on/off mentality with monthly fees, it is easy to pick up and play, and the content packs are cheap enough to rake in the impulse spenders.

The only real concern is that they've announced that the entire landmass will be in the game (read: every province), but portions of those provinces will be saved for later content expansions. They should have learned from Cataclysm and Dawnguard: people like a chunky and identifiable landmass to jump into with DLC/expansions.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By haggis

The more I hear, the less interested I am. Anyone who wants to play this sort of game already plays WoW, right? My sense is that most Elder Scrolls fans are single-player RPG types. The "you can't go everywhere" bit seems like it's going to be a real issue for many people, as having a unified Tamriel seems like the big draw.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Itwastuesday

@musclerider said:

boom

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Seppli said:

Do we know if it's subscription based or not? I'm not aware of any official announcements regarding its business model. Seeing how much of its concepts are iterations of what we have with Guild Wars 2, I wouldn't be surprised if they went a similar route - shoot straight for the fullprice game without subscription fee hybrid - which is so much more tasteful than straight forward free 2 play.

They haven't said yet. The fact they're being quiet about the pricing is usually suspicious (they want people to get excited before announcing a recurring cost) but yeah, after Old Republic flopped hard, I find it hard to believe another publisher would go that route again, especially when this has been getting just as much negativity as TOR did when it was announced.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SocietySays

@Seppli said:

@KrypticKiller said:

Yeah, I'm not sure if they have said anything official yet. I read somewhere a while ago that it would start with a sub. I don't recall who said it though.

I would be happy if they decided to do what Guild Wars did, though I'm not sure why you find it more tasteful.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#35  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator
    @Xeirus said:

EDIT: Well, after finishing the video, he states at the end that "not everyone can go everywhere"... that doesn't sit well with me.... this is ES, the whole point is to go everywhere...
    They lost me there too, I mean what's wrong with having a non-factioned character and just exploring?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By Seppli

@KrypticKiller said:

@Seppli said:

@KrypticKiller said:

Yeah, I'm not sure if they have said anything official yet. I read somewhere a while ago that it would start with a sub. I don't recall who said it though.

I would be happy if they decided to do what Guild Wars did, though I'm not sure why you find it more tasteful.

Pure free 2 play games have one source of revenue. Microtransactions. Guild Wars 2 however is not dependent on them. The upside is evident. They don't have to design a game that's inherently broken (to put it bluntly), which forces the customer to unbreak it with microtransactions. GW2 is designed with integrity. It's a fully functinal and cohesive game with proper progression pacing and rewarding mechanics - with all content being equally accessible to everyone. Microtransactions are a reality in Guild Wars 2, but a reality of convenience, and not of necessity.

Hell - since players buy gold from players with gems, and gems are bought with IRL-money from ArenaNet, non-IRL-money-paying players can buy anything in the gemstore without ever spending an additional dime. It's definitely a lot more tasteful design than any free 2 play game I've played.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SocietySays

@Seppli said:

@KrypticKiller said:

@Seppli said:

@KrypticKiller said:

Pure free 2 play games have one source of revenue. Microtransactions. Guild Wars 2 however is not dependent on them. The upside is evident. They don't have to design a game that's inherently broken (to put it bluntly), which forces the customer to unbreak it with microtransactions. GW2 is designed with integrity. It's a fully functinal and cohesive game with proper progression pacing and rewarding mechanics - with all content being equally accessible to everyone. Microtransactions are a reality in Guild Wars 2, but a reality of convenience, and not of necessity.

Hell - since players buy gold from players with gems, and gems are bought with IRL-money from ArenaNet, non-IRL-money-paying players can buy anything in the gemstore without ever spending an additional dime. It's definitely a lot more tasteful design than any free 2 play game I've played.

Fair enough. Though I guess you could also look at it as the money you spend in other f2p's to unbreak them is the same as just plopping down $60-$70 right off the bat,

Don't get me wrong, I would much rather pay the $70 or whatever and have the game "unbroken" from the start, I'm just saying micro-transactions are one and the same. I feel as long as a game has a balanced system it should not be thought of as less-than. I would also bet all the money in my pockets ($5) that we will see a game that want's you to purchase the disc and still have a fucked up micro market.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I'd rather just have a co-op ES game. This looks fine but it doesn't look like Elder Scrolls. Using assets and setting doesn't cut it here. So much more to that world.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Ghostiet

@project343 said:

@musclerider said:

Guild Wars 2 and Pandaria are both huge?

Both are established franchises - one requires you to pay for it just once and the other is the biggest MMO and one of the biggest games in history. It's kind of a different situation here.

I'm no prophet, but The Elder Scrolls Online could be a success if they attempted to transfer what makes people care about Skyrim into a MMO environment. Doing the same shit everyone does, including semi-deformed characters, is not a way to go.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By uhtaree

I gotta institute a blanket "no trying MMOs anymore" policy for myself. I recently downloaded Planetside 2 and Old Republic and both looked as boring as can be.

EDIT: Gotta admit though, something about that video got me interest up a little...Dammit, the cycle repeats.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JCGamer

Have never been into MMO's so "not interested" for on this one as well. Granted, this game isn't made by Bethesda-but everything I read about a new MMO I think "wow sounds interesting. Too bad the combat will be terrible and I will never play it. Wish it was a single player game."

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By byterunner

eh, if it doesnt have a subscription, ill play t.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By MudMan

It's pretty insane how terribly the hype cycle has affected the industry. This video makes no sense. They are talking in excruciating detail about a game nobody can play *because* the negative reaction to the hype has left them in a position where they need to do this.

It's screwed up. I can't be the only person who thinks it's screwed up.

Here's a shocking notion, though: I'll wait until I can play this, then I'll determine if I am interested in it.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By ToxicFruit

you know what fuck it, i can always go for a new mmo

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By haggis

I might reconsider if there's no subscription fee, but I'm definitely going to have to wait to hear from some people who've actually played it. These videos aren't really telling me what I want to know.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#46  Edited By Mnemoidian

I had hoped that they'd bring up any of the things I've got issues with, but I guess they aren't missconceptions? In other words, it's just another current generation massively multiplayer fantasy third person action-RPG, using similar mechanics to already available competitors. I very much doubt that Skyrim has created enough of a fanbase to suceed where Star Wars failed. But I guess it's too late for Zenimax to refocus the game now...

I'm going to keep being dismissive about third person MMO action-RPG fantasy games until I see something that moves the genre forward... and I'm not going to hold my breath. We seriously need a break from games like this...

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Snail

@Mnemoidian said:

I had hoped that they'd bring up any of the things I've got issues with, but I guess they aren't missconceptions? In other words, it's just another current generation massively multiplayer fantasy third person action-RPG, using similar mechanics to already available competitors.

Didn't they say combat is in real-time? I'm not an MMO aficionado, but isn't that something?

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#48  Edited By Mnemoidian

@Snail: Well, that's one change, but from everything I've seen, it looks and feels exactly like all the other MMOs that have been showcased recently. Changing one tiny feature in such a massive package won't revolutionize anything. An MMO is an extremely complicated beast. there are hundreds of components that are as important as the combat system. (Story, Tutorial, Early game, End game, Balance, PvP, PvE, Social structures, interesting player characters, interesting player progression... and something different.), as well as requiring long term hosting. It's super expensive and they probably need about a million subscribers to be profitable... and you are probably lucky if you get 300k.

I've been playing MMOs for... 15 years? Or something... I used to be excited by MMO launches, but now I'm just bored, because every MMO that launches is just World of Warcraft with a different coat of paint and none of my friends...

... sorry, I'm really trying hard to avoid going into full "Why the current generation MMOs suck"-essay mode here... which I know no one wants, especially as I can't provide any solutions (or I would be off making my own MMO, I guess! :P)

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mnemoidian: You're right though. As someone who really likes game lore and world-building in general, the mere notion that they are making an ES MMO and that a Star Wars MMO got made should have been the greatest things ever to me, being a huge fan of both series. But like you said, every MMO that comes out now aside from a few like Guild Wars 2 just try to ape WoW so hard that you might as well just be playing WoW.

As someone who has never been into MMO's, it doesn't seem like developers are trying all that hard to make a game that I might be interested in. I don't want hotbar-based, spam left click combat. I don't want to be constrained to a faction. I don't want to be restricted on where I can go. Nothing about ESO seems like it's going to try to bring anyone new in, and just like TOR proved, you can't bank on the fanbase of an established franchise holding you up.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Snail

@Mnemoidian said:

@Snail: Well, that's one change, but from everything I've seen, it looks and feels exactly like all the other MMOs that have been showcased recently. Changing one tiny feature in such a massive package won't revolutionize anything. An MMO is an extremely complicated beast. there are hundreds of components that are as important as the combat system. (Story, Tutorial, Early game, End game, Balance, PvP, PvE, Social structures, interesting player characters, interesting player progression... and something different.), as well as requiring long term hosting. It's super expensive and they probably need about a million subscribers to be profitable... and you are probably lucky if you get 300k.

I've been playing MMOs for... 15 years? Or something... I used to be excited by MMO launches, but now I'm just bored, because every MMO that launches is just World of Warcraft with a different coat of paint and none of my friends...

... sorry, I'm really trying hard to avoid going into full "Why the current generation MMOs suck"-essay mode here... which I know no one wants, especially as I can't provide any solutions (or I would be off making my own MMO, I guess! :P)

I get what you mean. I like LOTRO because of all the Lord of the Rings lore, and the fact that I have a friend who's really into that game that I can play with - but even still, MMOs are too time-consuming for me to get deeply involved with them.

Still, the way they're handling servers in this one, the way they're kind of dynamically arranging players together, and the combat mechanics seem to be little details that may be more impactful than SWTOR's dialogue trees and cover mechanics. It doesn't sound like it stand out from the crowd as much as Guild Wars 2 though, right? That's a pretty different MMO from what I gather, or at least as different as it's gotten in the past decade I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.