Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

1.4 PS3 may have actually fixed the lag.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By PieGuy

I have seen many topics on the Bethesda forums by PS3 users that the slideshow lag is gone. I'm going to be playing Skyrim again finally!

The Bethesda forums is usually filled with cynicism so seeing a positive response from them is uplifting. Will obviously have to see it myself but if others weren't aware the patch is out now you do. If anyone can confirm/disprove supposed fix then do tell.

Also confirmed Mannequin fix =D No more invisible armor displays.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

Is it out, fuck just when the games start to come out!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I hope so. No chance for me to check any time soon though.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vestigial_Man

From what I played last night, I can confirm that lag has pretty much gone on my game and the mannequin in my Markarth home displays armour perfectly. Definitely improved the experience for PS3.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FritzDude

Also worth mentioning:

To get the best possible outcome from the patch it's highly highly recommended that you start a new game. Now of course if that's simply not an option for obvious reasons then:

1. start up the game
    2. confirm update
    3. load your last save
    4. wait a couple of minutes for the update to synchronize in-game
    5. make a hard manual save
    6. exit game and restart your PS3
    7. Start up the game and load your manual save
    NICKR1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NICKR1

I just have a question concerning the recomendations for better results of Skyrim 1.4 patch: How can I confirm the update first and then load my last save? I mean, I thought all the updates activate automatically when you put the game into the PS3 driver and, however before you prevent to load the game.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FritzDude

@NICKR1: I'm not sure I understand your question. You put in the game in the optical dirve. When the game starts you confirm the 1.4 update prompt. Then when all of that is done you load your saved game, wait a brief minute in-game (To make sure all new data are synchronized), and then you manually save the game - either with a new save or just overwrite an already existing one. Exit the game, restart your PS3 and load that new save.

You don't need to do this, but it's the second-best thing to do, next to just starting a new character on a new save.

More on this from Bethesda here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1345112-important-information-on-patch-14/

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By nohthink

Is the patch out?

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FritzDude

@nohthink: Yes. It's called 2.03 in Europe, and 1.4 in US.

Krendrayven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Krendrayven

What the shit. I hope it does fix the lag.. I've been playing Skyrim on and off since if I play for anymore than a few hours it lags.. and is impossible to play. It's unfortunate since that game is pretty much a drug to most people, including I. So for now, I suppose Kingdoms of Amalur and The Darkness 2 will have to do.

NICKR1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NICKR1

@FritzDude: Thanks for your answer, now I understand, I just thought that I would be able to load the game at the same time the update was running, I was really confused. Thanks again for your clearly explanation. 143 hours in Skyrim and the game started to have serious lag the last 10 hours and one freeze. I hope the patch will solve the PS3 problem, the game is great.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Morrow

I never experienced the lag, but it definately fixed the Master Criminal trophy bug, although I heard this affected only the non-English versions of Skyrim (which I own).

usgrovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By usgrovers

I never had the crippling lag reported by other players who have a hell of a lot more time on their characters than I do, but my "main" character who is level 24 with 51 hours played has had a noticeable performance boost. I could always see the embryonic beginnings of the lag problem when I rode my horse or sprinted through a city, but in the few hours I've played since I installed the patch last night, things have been much more smooth. However, load times are noticeably longer. If you notice long load times, you can disable "autosave on travel;" when I did that, my load times cut in half.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jasonefmonk

It's too bad I'm away for the weekend, I want to finish up some quest lines but stopped playing a few weeks ago because of the lag. Here's hoping.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#15  Edited By tearhead

I can finally autosave without the game hard locking! Hooray!

usgrovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By usgrovers
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hizang

The size of my save file is still going up every time I save, is that normal?

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Berserker976

@Hizang: Yes, the lag never had anything to do with the size of the save file.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pweidman

Fantastic news it appears for the PS3 duders and dudettes, but I can't help asking, should this have taken almost 4 months to happen?

Seems rediculous to me...sorry, but I'm still pissed at Bethesda for the state the game was launched in. I know spilt milk and all...

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hizang

@pweidman said:

Should this have taken almost 4 months to happen?

Absolutely not, it has fouled me on that company entirely and sadly made me almost not like the game. I played it at launch, but when I found the issue I stopped playing assuming it would get a patch later in the week. Weeks passed and I got more and more angry, after a month I stopped getting angry and just stopped caring. When the patch came out a few weeks ago I didn't even care to much, so much time had passed that the time seemed to have passed for that game. I even tried to get back in it but I couldn't, so last night I decided to start again with a fresh character and at long last I am back into the game that I wanted to play 4 months ago.

NO WAY IS THIS ACCEPTABLE!

I hope Bethesda do this the right way next time they release a game on the PS3.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Hizang

@pweidman said:

Absolutely not, it has fouled me on that company entirely and sadly made me almost not like the game. I played it at launch, but when I found the issue I stopped playing assuming it would get a patch later in the week. Weeks passed and I got more and more angry, after a month I stopped getting angry and just stopped caring. When the patch came out a few weeks ago I didn't even care to much, so much time had passed that the time seemed to have passed for that game. I even tried to get back in it but I couldn't, so last night I decided to start again with a fresh character and at long last I am back into the game that I wanted to play 4 months ago.

It wasn't exactly ideal for ps3 owners but it really seemed like they had no clue what the hell was wrong. I mean they found it within maybe the first 3 weeks or so but who's to say they werent working on it? From what I can tell there were a TON of little things that led up to this issue and tracking down each one seems kinda crazy especially in a game that size. While I too wish it was released earlier, I'm just glad its out and plays great now.

Also If you got that in the first week you must've put some hours on that game cause I was under the impression that it didn't show up until you had a larger save ( mine was 12 mb when I noticed issues)
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hizang

@Sackmanjones: I played mine for 40 hours, I started to notice a little bit but then it seemed to just get slower very quickly.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Storms
    @Hizang said:

@pweidman said:

You seem a bit entitled. 

"Yes, you updated the game after release incredibly by sending data through tiny wires across the continent to what would have been a supercomputer 20 years ago but which I just use for entertainment, fixing an unforeseen problem that a minority of players experienced when you could have left it alone but you DIDN'T DO IT FAST ENOUGH". 

These things take time. It takes time to find problems, then create a solution, then to test your solution, then make corrections, then hand it over to Sony and wait for approval... Then it gets sent out to millions of people through the miracle of the internet and you find problems with your solution that you NEVER COULD have found on your own and then it starts all over again. Bethesda worked their asses off on this game and if they could have released it in a better state, they would have -- anyone can see that Skyrim was a work of love. You hate that it took 4 months for Bethesda to come up with a solution -- it took them 4 months after release, with millions of people playing them game and giving them feedback. How much longer would it have taken with just the couple hundred people who work at Bethesda poring over the code... "THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM 12-12-21"
    SpecDotSign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SpecDotSign

I'm glad the patch has helped. I haven't gone back since I got the Platinum Trophy pre 1.4 (I suffered. A LOT). Hopefully it'll run smoother for the upcoming DLC. Still, shame on Bethesda for this blunder.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Dreamfall31

Glad this finally came around. I played about 80 hours before the patch and the lag didn't bother me much. If it got bad I just rebooted the game and it was fine for about 3 hours. It was nice to have a month off of the game. Now that 1.4 has fixed it I'm back and addicted again! I've definately re-adjusted my GOTY game and this is definately at the top. I love just wondering this huge world that Bethesda has made. It is something quite amazing. I will probably be playing it to as much completion as is possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.