Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Backwards Dragons, Broken Resistances in Skyrim Patch

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Seriously, do they not even have game testers? Is there no testing of these patches before they're released?

God damn, I'm still giving this Game of the Year, because I have not encountered any bugs or glitches in my time playing this game. But damn, Bethesda, all of this crap leads me to believe I'm in the minority. So do your fucking job, and hire some goddamn testers.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By AMyggen

I haven't had any issues with the dragons after updating the game (on a PS3), and they seem to have fixed the framerate issue on that console.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Punk1984

@Delta_Ass said:

@Vodun said:

Hands up all those complaining about the bugs in this epic, mastodon of a game, who have actually worked with software development? Oh? Didn't think so.

Right, and movie critics should make movies before they write reviews. Sure making a lot of sense there.

The vast majority of them do...film school

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That dragon looks as if he's being force pulled or something xD

bitterninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By bitterninja

anyone know if I delete skyrim from steam and re-install it will go back to 1.1? heard rumors its no longer updating but its too late for me.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By Beaudacious

Flames atronachs were never 100% resistant to flame magic......

DiscoDuck8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By DiscoDuck8k

I get the impression they blindly make changes and don't check to see the results first.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#108  Edited By MormonWarrior

Well...Amazon still hasn't shipped my order even though I did it on Monday. So...I guess that's fine.

JimmyPancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By JimmyPancakes

Hey, I know you!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By mordukai

GOTY 2011. and what I mean is Glitch of The Year. Don't they pay people so things like this can be prevented?How can this get pass Bethesda's, MS, and Sony's QA people?

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By lutonhatter

@Vodun: I'm not moaning as I'm waiting until after all this mess before I start playing it. But I would of had unit tests in place to catch the MR bug and in my debug builds asserts to catch backwards flying dragons.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By thetenthdoctor

I saw this on the Skyrim forums earlier and sent my wife a text message. If she had loaded up her Mage character and all her resistances were borked she'd have been hella pissed.
    CRISIS AVERTED. Thanks, Internet.
    Saga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#113  Edited By Saga

WTF! I can't use the Arcane and Alchemy tables!

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By lclay

I have no magical resistance. 

Guess I'm still playing Skyrim this weekend :)

usgrovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By usgrovers

An article about the patch! The 360 version must have been released.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By lockwoodx

Now I don't feel bad for waiting to purchase this. It's one of those times it sucks to be right.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#117  Edited By Oni

@Vodun said:

Hands up all those complaining about the bugs in this epic, mastodon of a game, who have actually worked with software development? Oh? Didn't think so.

Like that excuses it? They made a patch and obviously rushed it out when the onus is on them to test whatever changes they make. As consumers it doesn't make an iota of difference how hard it is or whatever, we paid for a working product and they've gone and made it worse, at least the PC version, going off of my own experiences. THEY MADE IT WORSE. Why should I care how hard it is? If they can't make a game like this and make it work as intended, then the problem is bigger than that.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#118  Edited By fox01313

Will try it out later on the 360, got the patch this morning without any problems so far on that console but then again I rarely use the conjured elementals when I'm sticking back shooting things with spells/arrows or just getting in close with my dark elf & backstabbing fools.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#119  Edited By briangodsoe

@Oni said:

@Vodun said:

Like that excuses it? They made a patch and obviously rushed it out when the onus is on them to test whatever changes they make. As consumers it doesn't make an iota of difference how hard it is or whatever, we paid for a working product and they've gone and made it worse, at least the PC version, going off of my own experiences. THEY MADE IT WORSE. Why should I care how hard it is? If they can't make a game like this and make it work as intended, then the problem is bigger than that.

Shit like this is the problem with this gen. We've all become desensitized and okay with being beta testers after paying full fucking price! We even make excuses for the company for fucking up. Remember last gen when you couldn't just get lazy and send in patches? When you had to ship a complete game? When if a game was broken, people would shit all over it instead of making excuses? I want that back.

I love Skyrim and all, even after all this horseshit it's still my GOTY, but this is fucking ridiculous!

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By BoOzak

*sigh* ..fucking steam, I told you not to update! Anyone know if there's a way to roll back to a previous patch?

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#121  Edited By benspyda

Glad I haven't downloaded it yet, I'll stick with my low res textures (I wouldn't of even noticed it if I didn't read articles about it, and I prefer quicker load times). It's still an absolutely beautiful game anyway.

Kinda sucks though in general. Maybe saints row 3 will be bomb's game of the year (:

akumous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By akumous

@PrivateIronTFU: So if you're car doesn't start as it supposed to you're still calling it the best car in the world? Is people like you is the problem with this gaming industry and the community, you guys just accept rubbish.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Ben_H

Nooooooooooooo

Steam updated it even though I set it to manual updates only! AARRRGGGHHH

I quick travelled and found 3 dragons, and none of them flew backwards. However I totally burned my flame atronachs and froze my frost atronachs to test and it worked. :(

Avatar image for eulogize_my_baked_goods
    eulogize_my_baked_goods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Oh dear...

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By AMyggen

@Havox You really can't compare a huge, completely open world game like Skyrim to something like Portal 2. Such an open game like Skyrim will ALWAYS have a lot of bugs because there's simply no way to plan for everything that can happen. You have to take into account that you can spend over 150 hours in the game without seeing everything it has to offer, with a lot of non-scripted events.

Because of this, I never expect or demand these games to be free of bugs, or anything near that. It's just not possible. If you want Skyrim without bugs, they would've had to make it a LOT less open world. Could they have done better? I don't know, but at least I know that it's impossible to make a game like that without it being buggy. And it's not just for Bethesda to "hire som goddamn testers"; a lot of people will play through a game like this without encountering any big bugs, same goes for testers. Something will always fall through the cracks.

PS: This does not excuse the game breaking quests, like the prison quest in this game.

Avatar image for internetdetective
    InternetDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am cracking up at these posts. "I HAVEN'T ENCOUNTERED ANY BUGS BUT THIS IS REDUCKULOUS BETHE$DA GRRRRRR, STILL GOTY!!!" So funny, thanks for the laughs!

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By AiurFlux

Again talking about the 360 textures again, only. The PS3 version is still the same broken, busted ass, piece of fucking shit that it was before. I can completely CONFIRM this to be a fact. I was in the middle of doing the War storyline to take over Fort Greenwall for the Imperials (zomg spoilerz, fuck off it's just take over fort with troops and rinse/repeat) and the framerate when I was fighting about 10 Stormcloaks literally was in the single digits. It is completely unplayable after 2 hours. I should not have to restart my fucking system every 2 hours. I bought 2 different copies of the game, one for the PS3 and the other for the PC, and I now regret buying either. The PS3 is completely broken and the PC interface is the absolute worst I have used in a PC game for a long long time. If this game gets GOTY, even with the vast amount of content, I will rip out my hair. Games in this sort of state should NEVER be released just to stick to a gimmick date of 11/11/11. Un-fucking-acceptable.

Feel free to troll me or flame me or whatever the fuck you guys feel like doing, but you know I'm right. I love the game for the content, but this is completely unacceptable to release something in this horrid of a state. And then to release a patch that doesn't fix extremely major problems but flat out creates new ones makes it seem like they employ a fucking army of chimpanzees at times.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#128  Edited By Deleth

@Vodun said:

So? We don't work as game developers, we're not supposed to be able to fix this problems. If your taxi driver drives the taxi into a wall, do you have no right to complain if you don't own a drivers license? If your doctor were tro prescribe you the wrong medicament and you're going to die because of that, would you have no right to complain because you're not a doctor on your own?

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Chop

Apparently my Skyrim disk is blessed by some kind of god. I've ran into minor irritating glitches before this patch, but some of you make it sound like the game took you out back and raped you. Skyrim has NOTHING on New Vegas or even Fallout 3 at launch. 

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By shaggydude

@BoOzak said:

*sigh* ..fucking steam, I told you not to update! Anyone know if there's a way to roll back to a previous patch?

@BoOzak: If Steam updated you to 1.2, and you want to go back to 1.1 to use the Long Address Aware fix, you can replace "TESV.exe" in the game folder with an older one. If you didn't back up the old .exe you might have to hunt for one on the internet, it should be 18.2MB, where v1.2 is 18.6MB. A helpful Duder posted a link to a .rar file with all the old .exes when this happened with v1.1 in this thread, but the file has been deleted since then :(.

I backed up my "TESV.exe" from the get go. So far, what has worked for me is to just copy/paste my backup into the game folder after steam does an update. Today, after replacing the .exe with the old 18.2MB and using the LAA fix, I've been playing for 2+ hours without crashing to desktop, all my resistances work correctly, and I can even launch it through Steam and still get achievements. Once Steam updates it once, it isn't updating it again even after I tweak the .exe.

SneakyCastro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By SneakyCastro
    @SuperJoe

A problem solved is a problem caused. -- Karl Pilkington

Hah, perfect!
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#132  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Cool patch bro.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#133  Edited By Shadow

This is perfect. Now I have more time to play other games while they fix this.

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Colonel_Fury

Still having fun playing it. I must be weird.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By BoOzak

@Beaudacious: Storm Astronachs were 100% resistant to electricity and now their vunerable to it, I know because I tested it just before Steam screwed me over. Honestly i'm more pissed at Steam right now than Bethesda..

briansanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#136  Edited By briansanderson

This really ticks me off I downloaded this update. Guess I won't touch this game till they release a patch to fix the magic resistances stuff. I can't believe they could not catch this when they were testing this patch. Ugh.

gouldgonewild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By gouldgonewild

Anyone else have an issue with the PS3 Stereo Wireless Headset and Skyrim? This headset works fine on every other game I have, but on Skyrim, the sound will cut in and out occasionally and crackle. It's really annoying. I called the Bethesda customer support guys, and I swear to god that the guy there told me that it was because Skyrim was "too powerful" for the headset. I wish I could have punched that dude in the face.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By UnrealDP

I don't know, it's not like all the ice melted and the NPCs can't animate all of the sudden. I love the whole dragons flying backwards thing an I honestly don't think that whole resistance thing is a game breaker. I'm sure it'll be fixed in a week, so stop freaking guys.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Mumrik

So weird that Bethesda keeps courting the console market by making consoles lead dev platforms and creating their UIs around a controller, yet their console versions are again and again the most buggy by far.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#140  Edited By Winternet

That backwards dragon is HILARIOUS!

razeeverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By razeeverything

What is the point of Microsoft / Sony Certification if they cant catch obvious bugs like these? You would think they would atleast have time to tinker with the PC patch while waiting for cert. If they weren't using that time to polish the PC patch then why did they wait till the others were finished to release it?

Core team is probably rushing to push out DLC to capitalize on strong sales leaving a thin team to bug fix.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#142  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Oh, explains why my atronachs die constantly now, that's the only issue I've encountered so far after the patch though, then of course I never had the PS3 slowdown issue neither before or after the patch.

priorityseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By priorityseven

@SuperJoe said:

Karl Pilkington's got a head like a fucking orange.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#144  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@Shadow said:

This is perfect. Now I have more time to play other games while they fix this.

Great idea, maybe I should grab the Ultima series off GOG as I've kind of wanted to do.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Eaxis

Patching in more bugs huh.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#146  Edited By Little_Socrates

Dammit, I was prepped to dig back in again, too! Guess I'll play The Witcher 2, Skyward Sword and Rayman until I hear that it's fixed.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By august

@RazeEverything said:

What is the point of Microsoft / Sony Certification if they cant catch obvious bugs like these?

To make sure the patch doesn't break systems or create security holes.

Danny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Danny
    @SuperJoe

Good work!
    QuietAlien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By QuietAlien

I want all of the dragons to fly backwards. Also, Bethesda said they were going to patch dragons not giving you souls sometimes when you kill them. After the patch, I have killed 2 dragons that didn't give me souls. I have a ton banked, but still. Lag on PS3 is way better though.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm. This is unfortunate. Very unfortunate. I'm moving this week though so timing is good? I guess?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.