Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Black screen immediately after launch.

guusjo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By guusjo11

Hello,

So I've recently got Skyrim including DawnGuard and update 1.7, but I've got a problem, whenever I click play in the launcher or try running it via TESV.exe, it gets me to a blackscreen, which I can only get rid of by restarting my pc or open Task manager with CTRL+ALT+DEL and close it. Note that I have got a no-steam version (though I did try launching it via steam once, same results) and I have Windows 7 Ultimate, before re-installing windows 7 Ultimate, I never had this problem. My graphics card drivers are all up to date and yes, Skyrim detects my Nvidia 310M. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guus

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mosdl

Assuming you have a legal version of the game, I would try running the game as administrator and see if that helps.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Benny

@guusjo11: Start disabling things in the launcher and trying things there, then try making sure your graphics card isn't handling video quality settings on its own. I'd also try windowed mode, running as administrator. The usual stuff.

Perhaps check the official forum or steam forum for people with similar issues too.

guusjo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By guusjo11

None of this has seemed to help.. I am running Skyrim as an administrator and with Windows XP SP 3 compatibility mode (standard). I've already checked similiar forums but none of the solutions has seemed to help.

What I've tried:

-Uninstalling and reinstalling Skyrim, including all of the updates, no luck.

-Disabling Dawnguard and run the game without it, no luck.

-Reinstalling Skyrim and try running without the updates, no luck.

-Changing things in Skyrimprefs.ini, no luck. (changed back though)

-Windowed mode, no luck.

So it goes exactly like this, I click "play" in the Skyrimlauncher, and all I get is a black screen, right from the start, when I hover my mouse over it, it shows a loading/not responding symbol and when I open task manager it says Skyrim is not responding, and closing it is only possible with task manager, which takes it's time closing it. I'm running Skyrim with my NVidia 310M graphics card on Medium settings (Launcher detected). How can I make sure the graphics card isn't handling things on it's own? Any way to check this with NVidia control panel?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60
    @mosdl

Assuming you have a legal version of the game, I would try running the game as administrator and see if that helps.

He doesn't. There is no such thing as a non-steam version. The game is steam works.
    Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zella

Yeah it is most likely an issue with the crack or whatever you are using for the game, cause all legit versions use steam. If not I would try disabling any mods if you have them installed.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Enigma777

It's a quest. You gotta use magelight and kill the giant ass spider

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Capum15
    @Enigma777: I thought it was a giant crab. Then again, it has been a while since I've played Skyrim.
    Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grimhild
    guusjo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By guusjo11

@Grimhild: There is in Holland.

vocnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You bought the game BEFOR it became available on Steam since I too have the BOX SET! I am also having the same problem with my Skyrim neither the Box Set nor the Steam version will run Vanilla. Clean game after reinstall > Launch > Black Screen of Death. MB - MSI 970 Gaming, AMD3+ 8320 Black OC'ed 4.0 GHz per core 8 cores, Corsair Dominator 16 GB PC19200 running at 2400 MHz, Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X OC 8 GB DDR5, 2x WD Raptor 7500 rpm Black 2TB HDs in RAID 1+0, OS Win7 Ultimate 64 bit. the game is set for Admin, win XP SP3, AMD Drivers 14.12

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@vocnar: Try installing SKSE and running from its launcher.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.