Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Blog #057 - Three Hundred Hours in Skyrim

• 72 results
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Edited By alistercat

It has been 5 months since the release of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim , and over those 5 months I have put in 300 hours across 3 characters. Am I done? Not even close. I haven't touched the story. I haven't done any guilds. There is so much content I might never get around to the main quest. Well, that's not likely as that is what I am most excited about doing next. So what have I been doing? Exploring. I play on Master difficulty which made things challenging at first but now that I am at level 77 most of the combat is trivial. 

Walk around and before long you'll find a number of beautiful ruins 
    Previously my favourite game of all time was  The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion , and I spent 300 hours on that game over 5 years. Now with Skyrim I've covered the same amount of time in just 5 months and Skyrim has replaced Oblivion. I'm not exactly proud, but I had a lot of free time on my hands. I became unemployed and went in to hospital in October, and Skyrim helped me perk up and enjoy my free time. As I said in a previous blog, unemployment sucks kids. 

Before I share my final thoughts about the game, here are the previous blogs I've written involving Skyrim. 

First I suppose I should show you my character. I name my RPG character after one of two things. Phoenix Wright characters or Fonts. My first female character was called Maya Fey, and my current character is named after the font Bebas Neue an old, bearded high elf. I have always played high elves in Elder Scrolls. I'm not sure why, I don't normally like elves but they have an incredible proficiency for magic. Especially in Oblivion.
    Looking like a Ninja 
    Looking like a Ninja 
     Maya Fey     
     Maya Fey     
    Skyrim has a very balanced approach to gameplay in that it doesn't limit you, unlike something such as Kingdoms of Amalur. Sure, you can respec in that but in Skyrim you can be the best at everything all at once. That is what my character is. At level 77 everything except archery and two handed are maxed out. It is so liberating having such choice. 

My previous characters were pure mages but this time I went from an archer to a pure mage, to a mage/sword fighter combo. Chopping and burning are a satisfying combo. My weapon of choice is the daedric sword Dawnbreaker and a mod spell called 'massive sparks'. Even on Master difficulty I kill almost everything in one or two hits with the sword. I am using modded armour, a retextured version of the Nightingale Armour.
    My main advice to anyone still waiting to play Skyrim is explore. There is a massive world to explore and unlike Fallout it is filled with ruins, dungeons, cities, inns. Everything you expect in a fantasy RPG. Unlike Oblivion they aren't all the same. They are still constructed from tile sets slotted together, but each place is different and tells its own story. So often you will stumble upon a quest just from entering a dungeon but another feature that I really enjoy is when the story is implied. You won't get something to register in your quest log, but you might stumble upon a journal, or a body and you can work out what went on. So much fun. One that springs to mind is a lighthouse filled with dead bodies and falmer. There is a slight quest hint to help you along but it is fun to just stumble upon and figure out through diaries.

Look at all those locations! That isn't even close to all of them. 
    Everything in Skyrim is styled very specifically to fit the lore and climate. In Oblivion each town looked very different in terms of architecture but in Skyrim things are very similar in the smaller holds but there is the stone fortress of Winterhold, the regal elegance of Solitude and the ancient dwarven city of Markarth. All very nordic and look appropriately freezing cold. The same can be said for the ruins, which look ancient and filthy. I really do miss something on the scale and design of the Imperial City, or the port town of Anvil... especially when I consider how great they would look in the newer engine.

The Grey Beard's temple, High Hrothgar 
    The atmosphere from the new and improved lighting and weather effects is incredible. Oblivion gave me a great sense of immersion, like I was living in a fantasy world like I never had before. Skyrim goes much further and really drew me in. Sure, I have a ton of graphical mods enabled that alter pretty much everything from weather patterns to textures and lighting. I don't think that is a comment on me not liking the game as it is, but there is always room for improvement. Bethesda put out a fine product, they couldn't refine it forever or tune it to my preferences. At least with mods I'm free to pick and choose. 

Approaching a lit building in the dead of night. Kind of peaceful.
    If I had to pick my favourite thing about Skyrim it would definitely be the atmosphere and immersion. A lot of that has to do with graphics as well as game systems that let you and all the NPCs live a 24 hour life. The world itself feels very alive pretty much all the time. Quests and interesting locations all around you, a ton of voice acting and enemies. Patrick already said this on the bombcast, but one of the more interesting experiences is walking in to a dungeon and finding a guy who is drugged up and insane, believing he is a ghost after spending years just pretending so he could find an artefact. At the end of the dungeon you find the exit backs on to the room he was living in. A tragic irony. 

A woman with a broom in her boob? Not even the strangest thing I've seen in Skyrim 
    A woman with a broom in her boob? Not even the strangest thing I've seen in Skyrim 
    I've had giants, skeevers and horses try and take down a dragon. Even my dog had a go. I wish there was some gradation of aggression. The AI is either passive, fully aggressive or scared (fleeing). My dog should not just jump in to 'combat' mode and relentlessly attack anything. As hilarious as it is, I might prefer my dog to run away and return home. I think it'd be cool to come home and find my cold, injured dog.

Skyrim is known for being glitchy, and that has led to very sketchy moments like backwards flying dragons, flying drauger, NPCs with wood stuck to their head, bodies flying through the air like a rocket and so much more. The annoying variations are quests glitching, events not triggering, items falling through the world. Thankfully, on the PC you can fix any problem if you know how. The console allows you to spawn an item or person, fly through scenery, force quest checkpoints to trigger, bring dead NPCs back to life (I was told by a daedric prince to go and talk to somebody, and the quest marker lead me to a dead person... so I had to resurrect him).

It would really suck to play this on a console without mods or access to the developer console. It offers so much flexibility. 

I have to talk about dragon again. They are the best thing in Skyrim. Incredibly well modelled, animated, though not especially textured (I have a mod that adds 49 more dragon textures so that is no longer a problem). One of the coolest things is the effect of their flesh burning off and leaving behind a skeleton. If only their bones didn't seem so rubbery. I am seriously impressed with the dragons in this game, especially with how dynamic they are and not fixed scripted moments. When I first brought a dragon crashing down to the ground and it slid past me with a cloud of dust I felt incredibly powerful, which Skyrim is good at doing. 

Fighting on a snowy mountain top is a great feeling...
    Hey! How ya doin'!? 
    Hey! How ya doin'!? 
    The problem with the dragons in Skyrim is a lack of variety. There are several kind of dragon, scaled to your level. Once you reach level 50 you face the hardest dragons of the 'Ancient' variety. The diverse dragons mod adds quite a few dragon variants that not only look different, but have different abilities. Some can knock you over, others summon daedra, and there are also twins that fly together. Not just the look, but the combat in the battles lack variation and this mod fixes that.

Images

Here are some of the other screenshots I've taken in Skyrim. 

Conclusion

Skyrim is easily one of my favourite games of all time. Yeah yeah, you're probably sick of hearing about how great it is and the dirty hipster inside of you wants to hate it because it's cool. It is totally fine to not like the game, however, but that doesn't make it bad. Me liking it doesn't make it good, but Bethesda clearly went above and beyond with this game. The most cynical of publishers wouldn't necessarily let a developer put so much work in to a game that sells for just as much as a 4 hour Call of Duty game. There is so much content it is amazing, and why I can forgive a lot of the faults. They just don't matter to me. I can overcome them.

Now that I have reached the 300 hour mark I feel no need to keep talking about the game. I will soldier on in silence. See you when the first expansion comes out!

Please leave comments and such. Always fun to read.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alistercat

It has been 5 months since the release of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim , and over those 5 months I have put in 300 hours across 3 characters. Am I done? Not even close. I haven't touched the story. I haven't done any guilds. There is so much content I might never get around to the main quest. Well, that's not likely as that is what I am most excited about doing next. So what have I been doing? Exploring. I play on Master difficulty which made things challenging at first but now that I am at level 77 most of the combat is trivial. 

Previously my favourite game of all time was  The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion , and I spent 300 hours on that game over 5 years. Now with Skyrim I've covered the same amount of time in just 5 months and Skyrim has replaced Oblivion. I'm not exactly proud, but I had a lot of free time on my hands. I became unemployed and went in to hospital in October, and Skyrim helped me perk up and enjoy my free time. As I said in a previous blog, unemployment sucks kids. 

Before I share my final thoughts about the game, here are the previous blogs I've written involving Skyrim. 

First I suppose I should show you my character. I name my RPG character after one of two things. Phoenix Wright characters or Fonts. My first female character was called Maya Fey, and my current character is named after the font Bebas Neue an old, bearded high elf. I have always played high elves in Elder Scrolls. I'm not sure why, I don't normally like elves but they have an incredible proficiency for magic. Especially in Oblivion.
    Looking like a Ninja 
    Looking like a Ninja 
     Maya Fey     
     Maya Fey     
    Skyrim has a very balanced approach to gameplay in that it doesn't limit you, unlike something such as Kingdoms of Amalur. Sure, you can respec in that but in Skyrim you can be the best at everything all at once. That is what my character is. At level 77 everything except archery and two handed are maxed out. It is so liberating having such choice. 

My previous characters were pure mages but this time I went from an archer to a pure mage, to a mage/sword fighter combo. Chopping and burning are a satisfying combo. My weapon of choice is the daedric sword Dawnbreaker and a mod spell called 'massive sparks'. Even on Master difficulty I kill almost everything in one or two hits with the sword. I am using modded armour, a retextured version of the Nightingale Armour.
    My main advice to anyone still waiting to play Skyrim is explore. There is a massive world to explore and unlike Fallout it is filled with ruins, dungeons, cities, inns. Everything you expect in a fantasy RPG. Unlike Oblivion they aren't all the same. They are still constructed from tile sets slotted together, but each place is different and tells its own story. So often you will stumble upon a quest just from entering a dungeon but another feature that I really enjoy is when the story is implied. You won't get something to register in your quest log, but you might stumble upon a journal, or a body and you can work out what went on. So much fun. One that springs to mind is a lighthouse filled with dead bodies and falmer. There is a slight quest hint to help you along but it is fun to just stumble upon and figure out through diaries.

Everything in Skyrim is styled very specifically to fit the lore and climate. In Oblivion each town looked very different in terms of architecture but in Skyrim things are very similar in the smaller holds but there is the stone fortress of Winterhold, the regal elegance of Solitude and the ancient dwarven city of Markarth. All very nordic and look appropriately freezing cold. The same can be said for the ruins, which look ancient and filthy. I really do miss something on the scale and design of the Imperial City, or the port town of Anvil... especially when I consider how great they would look in the newer engine.

The atmosphere from the new and improved lighting and weather effects is incredible. Oblivion gave me a great sense of immersion, like I was living in a fantasy world like I never had before. Skyrim goes much further and really drew me in. Sure, I have a ton of graphical mods enabled that alter pretty much everything from weather patterns to textures and lighting. I don't think that is a comment on me not liking the game as it is, but there is always room for improvement. Bethesda put out a fine product, they couldn't refine it forever or tune it to my preferences. At least with mods I'm free to pick and choose. 

If I had to pick my favourite thing about Skyrim it would definitely be the atmosphere and immersion. A lot of that has to do with graphics as well as game systems that let you and all the NPCs live a 24 hour life. The world itself feels very alive pretty much all the time. Quests and interesting locations all around you, a ton of voice acting and enemies. Patrick already said this on the bombcast, but one of the more interesting experiences is walking in to a dungeon and finding a guy who is drugged up and insane, believing he is a ghost after spending years just pretending so he could find an artefact. At the end of the dungeon you find the exit backs on to the room he was living in. A tragic irony. 

I've had giants, skeevers and horses try and take down a dragon. Even my dog had a go. I wish there was some gradation of aggression. The AI is either passive, fully aggressive or scared (fleeing). My dog should not just jump in to 'combat' mode and relentlessly attack anything. As hilarious as it is, I might prefer my dog to run away and return home. I think it'd be cool to come home and find my cold, injured dog.

Skyrim is known for being glitchy, and that has led to very sketchy moments like backwards flying dragons, flying drauger, NPCs with wood stuck to their head, bodies flying through the air like a rocket and so much more. The annoying variations are quests glitching, events not triggering, items falling through the world. Thankfully, on the PC you can fix any problem if you know how. The console allows you to spawn an item or person, fly through scenery, force quest checkpoints to trigger, bring dead NPCs back to life (I was told by a daedric prince to go and talk to somebody, and the quest marker lead me to a dead person... so I had to resurrect him).

It would really suck to play this on a console without mods or access to the developer console. It offers so much flexibility. 

I have to talk about dragon again. They are the best thing in Skyrim. Incredibly well modelled, animated, though not especially textured (I have a mod that adds 49 more dragon textures so that is no longer a problem). One of the coolest things is the effect of their flesh burning off and leaving behind a skeleton. If only their bones didn't seem so rubbery. I am seriously impressed with the dragons in this game, especially with how dynamic they are and not fixed scripted moments. When I first brought a dragon crashing down to the ground and it slid past me with a cloud of dust I felt incredibly powerful, which Skyrim is good at doing. 

Hey! How ya doin'!? 
    Hey! How ya doin'!? 
    The problem with the dragons in Skyrim is a lack of variety. There are several kind of dragon, scaled to your level. Once you reach level 50 you face the hardest dragons of the 'Ancient' variety. The diverse dragons mod adds quite a few dragon variants that not only look different, but have different abilities. Some can knock you over, others summon daedra, and there are also twins that fly together. Not just the look, but the combat in the battles lack variation and this mod fixes that.

Images

Here are some of the other screenshots I've taken in Skyrim. 

Conclusion

Skyrim is easily one of my favourite games of all time. Yeah yeah, you're probably sick of hearing about how great it is and the dirty hipster inside of you wants to hate it because it's cool. It is totally fine to not like the game, however, but that doesn't make it bad. Me liking it doesn't make it good, but Bethesda clearly went above and beyond with this game. The most cynical of publishers wouldn't necessarily let a developer put so much work in to a game that sells for just as much as a 4 hour Call of Duty game. There is so much content it is amazing, and why I can forgive a lot of the faults. They just don't matter to me. I can overcome them.

Now that I have reached the 300 hour mark I feel no need to keep talking about the game. I will soldier on in silence. See you when the first expansion comes out!

Please leave comments and such. Always fun to read.
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Phatmac

o.O 300 hours? The hell dude.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By ssj4raditz

I've logged 200 hours on the 360 version of the game. I must say, I encountered very few glitches, so it didn't suck to play on a console (at least for me).
    I'd love to see this on the PC though, just for the graphical improvements I know exist! But man, 300 hours and no main quest? That's bonkers! I can't imagine willfully staying away from the main story that long, I couldn't have that much stamina, I'd want to get to the story eventually!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By Justin258

It's a lesser experience, sure, but it doesn't suck. I would indeed prefer to play it on PC but money. Damn money.

@Phatmac said:

My brother put 25 hours in the weekend that he got it. That's 25 of 48. 48-25= 23, meaning he spent a little over half of his weekend in the game. I'm no mathematician, but if you chucked that into a ratio or something you'd find that 300 hours over 5 months is pitifully small compared. It's not unfathomable, especially when you're unemployed.

On a final note, now that finals are coming and I'm super-stressed and tired about everything, when I do decide to take a break from studying I put in Skyrim. That game seems to be pulling me through, letting me see a tiny sliver of light at the end of my long days, allowing me an escape into a nice, relaxing, peaceful walk through the game's environments. Really, when I play it now I'm not actually doing anything, just walking around. That helps relieve so much tension and stress.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Honestly, I've probably put in over 300 hours for Fallotu 3 and New Vegas seperately, and I'v only beaten Fallout 3's main quest once and I have yet to beat new Vegas' main quest. Its fun to just run around and do whatever, purposefully going the opposite direction of where I normally go or doing certain tasks in the most perfect way and not falling into the same errors of previous playthroughs. This coming from someone who worked 40 hours a week, is married, and has gaming ADHD (I can't play a single game for too long before wanting to play something else)

I've also only had one evil character so far (purposefully choosing every asshole option there is) and even then the story can still change and faction relations with you. That is unless you just slaughter EVERYONE that comes up to you.

I wouldn't be able to sink all that time into Skyrim though. I love the setting, I've put in a lot of time into Viking: Battle for Asgard and that was pretty much a button masher, but something about Skyrim can't grab me. I think its like what Jeff has said before; seeing Skyrim is cool, but it excites me more to know that the next Fallout will have all the updates Skyrim introduced and then some.

And yes, unemployment sucks. I had a job right out of high school, and recently quit because another job was lined up for me. But I foolishly quit way too early, since the place I'm going to work at now still doesn't open for another month. Atleast I'm making a little bit of cash through training and orientation and my taxes coming back. =/

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By Phatmac

@believer258: Sorry, didn't mean to make you defend your playtime. I've spent around 100 hours with Skyrim so I'm certainly guilty of spending an abnormal amount of time on a game. It was just an immediate reaction.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By Justin258

@Phatmac said:

@believer258: Sorry, didn't mean to make you defend your playtime. I've spent around 100 hours with Skyrim so I'm certainly guilty of spending an abnormal amount of time on a game. It was just an immediate reaction.

No need for apologies; I didn't mean that I was offended in any way, shape, or form. I was just pointing out that, while 300 hours is a lot of time, it's nowhere near an unfathomable amount, especially in 5 months, and I was giving an example of that.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By alistercat

@Phatmac said:

Yeah, it's a lot. I don't play efficiently. I take everything I find and take a trip to town so I can sell everything after each dungeon. Sometimes I just wander and hunt dragons. My game also crashes regularly enough.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By alistercat

@believer258 said:

It's a lesser experience, sure, but it doesn't suck. I would indeed prefer to play it on PC but money. Damn money.

Yeah I guess so, but quest breaking bugs can be horrible. On PC I can always find a way around it.

@SomeDeliCook said:

I think its like what Jeff has said before; seeing Skyrim is cool, but it excites me more to know that the next Fallout will have all the updates Skyrim introduced and then some.

I don't agree, but I can see why you would think that. I find it hard to get excited about a game that is probably 4 years away.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@AlisterCat said:

@Phatmac said:

Yeah, it's a lot. I don't play efficiently. I take everything I find and take a trip to town so I can sell everything after each dungeon. Sometimes I just wander and hunt dragons. My game also crashes regularly enough.

i know what you mean.

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alexisg

Great post Alister. I stopped playing Skyrim on Xbox at around 120 hours. Posts like these are what make me want to build a PC or bootcamp my Mac and get into Skyrim again. Love your custome headers in this post!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude

I've got around 150 hours on my first character. I keep meaning to make a new character and tackle a lot quests I haven't even touched, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves, Champions to name a few. But alas, other games keep calling me, but I'll get there eventually. Cool blog.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By FourWude

I put in around 30 hours just staying in Whiterun doing town quests, levelling up some snd starting the Mages guilds quests But then I stopped when the game was getting a but buggy and waited for patches.... and never continued since then.

My summer will be spent picking up my mages staff and dagger and returning to my Dunmer who seeks knowledge and his homeland of Vvardenfell...

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaptainCody

You're still crazy, but it's nice that someone can delve so much time into one game. Makes me want to boot up Skyrim and get past my lazy 100 hours.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cloneslayer

I played like 80 hours and pretty much did everything worth doing with one character. I didn't explore every single location (pretty damn close!) but I did all the quests and got all the achievements and even got all the Dragon Priest Masks. I put a lot more hours into Oblivion but I don't have the patience to keep playing on it like I use to, so I'm just waiting for the DLC to go back and play some more.

I don't see how it takes so long for people to do everything in this game. I figure I played so much Oblivion I was just so efficient in playing this game.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By alistercat

@alexisg said:

Great post Alister. I stopped playing Skyrim on Xbox at around 120 hours. Posts like these are what make me want to build a PC or bootcamp my Mac and get into Skyrim again. Love your custome headers in this post!

Thanks. Yeah, I like the way the headers turned out too. I think it's amazing that people like you and Coonce can play so much of Skyrim given that you might not have played this kind of game normally. I'm glad it isn't so hardcore.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Vinny_Says

I'm at 200 plus hours, reached the level cap, got the best armor (Daedric), finished the main and 4 guild quests and still I'm finding new quests and new things to do. Truly the most epic game in my collection in terms of scale, and few games can beat out Fallout 3 on that front. Bethesda outdid themselves; the 5 or so years of waiting were worth it.

As for you my friend I recommend doing those guilds once you're done with the awesome blogs.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By ReyGitano

@AlisterCat: Just 300 hours? psshsa. Then again, I did have the habit of leaving Skyrim on while I was up and about in the apartment. But seriously, great read. I'm in the same boat of having invested a metric ton of time on Oblivion, and then having that pattern of self-abuse follow me into Skyrim.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By alistercat

@Claude said:

I've got around 150 hours on my first character. I keep meaning to make a new character and tackle a lot quests I haven't even touched, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves, Champions to name a few. But alas, other games keep calling me, but I'll get there eventually. Cool blog.

At 150 hours I would say dont bother with another character unless you feel like you made some wrong choices, but there aren't many in Skyrim. I made that mistake and had to slog through like a hundred quests I had done before. Made me not want to play it.

@FourWude said:

I put in around 30 hours just staying in Whiterun doing town quests, levelling up some snd starting the Mages guilds quests But then I stopped when the game was getting a but buggy and waited for patches.... and never continued since then.

My summer will be spent picking up my mages staff and dagger and returning to my Dunmer who seeks knowledge and his homeland of Vvardenfell...

Yeah it is easy to spend 30 hours in Whiterun. I went round every building and every person.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bell_End

im 120 hours in and still love it every time i play it. going to take a break with TW2 for a while though... but i will return

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By alistercat

@CaptainCody said:

You're still crazy, but it's nice that someone can delve so much time into one game. Makes me want to boot up Skyrim and get past my lazy 100 hours.

Few people need to play Skyrim as much as I have. 100 hours sounds like enough. Move on to other games.

@dudeglove said:

Godammit the dawnbreaker sword makes me want to high five myself every time it sets off that explosion. Friggin' hilarious.

It catches me by surprise every time. Kind of annoying when a room full of undead run away. But I have 4 followers waiting to mop them up.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BigChickenDinner

Took you long enough to get to 300 hours.....

I got to 300 hours in the first month..............................

Oh dear god that's a bad thing isn't?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alistercat

@dudeglove said:

@AlisterCat said:

@dudeglove said:

Godammit the dawnbreaker sword makes me want to high five myself every time it sets off that explosion. Friggin' hilarious.

It catches me by surprise every time. Kind of annoying when a room full of undead run away. But I have 4 followers waiting to mop them up.

It's a teensy bit annoying when the room it goes off in is filled with certain stuff you want to pick up. I've not had it mess up any quest items...yet.

I had it happen once when I had to collect a bunch of books and a couple of them flew around the room. One of them clipped through the floor. Luckily on PC I have noclip so I could get it but it is annoying. I wish you could tune that to only affect hostile NPCs.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By alistercat

@Bell_End said:

im 120 hours in and still love it every time i play it. going to take a break with TW2 for a while though... but i will return

I took a break for Kingdoms of Amalur. Really wish I hadn't.

@ReyGitano said:

@AlisterCat: Just 300 hours? psshsa. Then again, I did have the habit of leaving Skyrim on while I was up and about in the apartment. But seriously, great read. I'm in the same boat of having invested a metric ton of time on Oblivion, and then having that pattern of self-abuse follow me into Skyrim.

My game is a little unstable, so I've lost a lot of progress when added up (just 5 minutes max each time). I wonder if it counts time spent in the launcher as well. I'm up to 312 now. Installed a bunch more mods. At this point I have to have at least 100 mods on Oblivion to play it though. No longer satisfied with the vanilla experience but still one of my favourite games of all time.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude
    @AlisterCat: The biggest reason I want to start a new character for a lot of the quests I haven't done is because I'm so powerful. I thought tackling those quests with a lower level character would make for more of a challenge. It gets old being a bad ass.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By ReyGitano

@AlisterCat said:

@ReyGitano said:

My game is a little unstable, so I've lost a lot of progress when added up (just 5 minutes max each time). I wonder if it counts time spent in the launcher as well. I'm up to 312 now. Installed a bunch more mods. At this point I have to have at least 100 mods on Oblivion to play it though. No longer satisfied with the vanilla experience but still one of my favourite games of all time.

Same issue here, but these open world Bethesda games always have issues; I've just come to accept it as part of life. Rain will fall, the earth will quake, and Bethesda games will freeze.

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Flawed_System

90 Hours on 2 characters so far. 300 hours, wow. I'm on 360 though, so no mods.

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ElNeebre

Fuck, I want to get to 300 hours. I have the PC version on Steam, but for some reason I've wanted to pick up the 360 version instead.

I don't really use mods, I feel it kind of breaks the balance of the in-game weapons/armour, etc. I can't really concentrate on the PC version because I have a feeling I'd enjoy the 360 version more... I don't know why.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By Chop

300 hours...that's crazy. I can't even remember the last time I connected with a game like that. I'm jealous of you </3

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool thread, bro. Here's an upside down mammoth.
    Cool thread, bro. Here's an upside down mammoth.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By alistercat

@ElNeebre said:

Fuck, I want to get to 300 hours. I have the PC version on Steam, but for some reason I've wanted to pick up the 360 version instead.

I don't really use mods, I feel it kind of breaks the balance of the in-game weapons/armour, etc. I can't really concentrate on the PC version because I have a feeling I'd enjoy the 360 version more... I don't know why.

I know that feeling, but really the PC version is the best. My gaming set up isn't like a regular person's though. My Xbox and PC use exactly the same TV but the Xbox isn't nearly as powerful. I would have no advantage to playing the Xbox version, but you might.

There are mods you can get that are balanced for the game, but mainly I use mods to fix things about the game I don't like. Graphical improvements don't affect balance. Just search and you'll find something you like.

@Tru3_Blu3: That is great.

@Claude said:

@AlisterCat: The biggest reason I want to start a new character for a lot of the quests I haven done is because I'm so powerful. I thought tackling those quests with a lower level character would make for more of a challenge. It gets old being a bad ass.

That's how I felt with my first character. Max level, and I steamrolled through everything. Now I'm just playing as a content tourist. I want to see everything.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By benspyda

I probably logged 200 - 300 hours on 3 characters on the 360 version alone. Now I've made 2 more on PC.

my characters were:

• Dual Swords minor stealth (my first playthrough)
    • Mage (conjuration and destruction)
    • Thief (Backstab with knife for 30x damage)*
    • Orc with a hammer (crushin skullz)*
    • Ranger (just archery)

*My favourites

Every character build just gave me an excuse to continue exploring. Love that goddamn game.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By alistercat

@BigChickenDinner said:

Took you long enough to get to 300 hours.....

I got to 300 hours in the first month..............................

Oh dear god that's a bad thing isn't?

That is pretty incredible. I got to 140 hours in 2 weeks, which was when I was marathoning it. You would have had to play even more than that in 2 weeks.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@AlisterCat: No job, no problem XD

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By buft

@AlisterCat: boob broom, enough said, i spent about 200 hours in the game just walking around and i would say 50 doing quests and guilds, some of the story fights are a little boring but overall the game is incredible and as a sword and shield guy i really like the combat, its fun in its own simplistic way

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By alistercat

@buft said:

@AlisterCat: boob broom, enough said, i spent about 200 hours in the game just walking around and i would say 50 doing quests and guilds, some of the story fights are a little boring but overall the game is incredible and as a sword and shield guy i really like the combat, its fun in its own simplistic way

Never tried the sword and shield combat, not sure why. I suppose it's all about that shield parry ability that slows down time. One chop from my dawnbreaker and everything goes down so I haven't had chance to block. It does almost 500 damage a strike plus 110 fire damage.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hit about 75 hours and stopped, but I could easily return and play a ton more

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By Bollard

Do you have some crazy Depth of Field mod, or are the shots in the main article edited?

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fetchfox

I'm at 106 hours on PC, but I originally played they game on ps3 where I put in over 200 hours, so I share your love for the game. I've recently started playing it again, and with a bunch of mods to make the game more challenging, plus fast-travel restrictions and minimal potion use, the game has again gotten interesting.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By asurastrike

I really don't understand how you can play Skyrim for 300 hours. I've played for 70 hours and finished the main quest, the civil war, and every faction questline, as well as reached level 81. Are there other interesting quest lines that I've missed?

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Flawed_System

@Asurastrike said:

I really don't understand how you can play Skyrim for 300 hours. I've played for 70 hours and finished the main quest, the civil war, and every faction questline, as well as reached level 81. Are there other interesting quest lines that I've missed?

What about all the Daedra stuff and side quests?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Asurastrike said:

Seems pretty easy if you're more disposed to just exploring the lay of the land. Me, personally, I tend to avoid fast traveling or even riding horseback, so I'll often come across nooks and crannies in my journey that I haven't scooped out yet and I'll elect to spend more time sneaking through those than devoting time to major questlines.  

I'm sure you could rattle through all the achievement-based missions in a couple dozen hours if you really wanted to push it. But that's not the fun of Skyrim. That said, I don't know your playstyle. Maybe you did take your time and just happened to come to a natural stopping point at seventy hours. Who knows. Anecdotally, though, I can say I'm not even halfway finished with a majority of the game's content and I've only just crossed the one-hundred hour mark. 
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By asurastrike

@Flawed_System said:

@Asurastrike said:

I've only come across two of the Daedric quests.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By alistercat

@Chavtheworld said:

Do you have some crazy Depth of Field mod, or are the shots in the main article edited?

Most ENB series mods can incorporate depth of field. It is a very frame heavy style of mod though.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Good read. I have mainly two things to say: 
    1. I'm fascinated by your fascination by things that get pretty old 50 hours in. You're 300 hours in and still find it charming how dragon skin burns and leaves a skeleton behind. I envy you for maintaining that sense of novelty and fascination, better than being insta jaded like I am. 

2. I've clocked 97 hours in the game, still have many quests to finish, much more quests to stumble upon, a lot of perks to unlock and items to find, but I simply can't play this game anymore, and I attribute that to two main reasons: 
    A) The game is WAY too dependent on Nordic ruins. It saddens me that Bethesda created this 'album filler' where you have to explore a Nordic crypt and either farm kills on weak skeletons or get raped by powerful ones. I am sick to my stomach of the moldy looking walls and wooden staircases of those crypts, and looting those skeletons to find 5 gold and a Nordic sword every time. How do you deal with that bullshit? 
    B) The loot is so goddamn underwhelming. It's always 5 or 10 gold, a potion or two, and a gem. Is there a loot mod somewhere?

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Flawed_System

@Asurastrike said:

@Flawed_System said:

@Asurastrike said:

I've only come across two of the Daedric quests.

Oh, I found that a lot of them are at the Daedric shrines (Have to find them on the map). The side quests are usually pretty fun and involved too.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By Bollard

@AlisterCat: Sweet.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By alistercat

@Asurastrike said:

I try and go to every location on the map, even unmarked places. All the daedric quest lines are worth doing, and there a lot of quests you stumble upon entering ruins. I don't play efficiently either. I pick up everything in every room I go to in dungeons. At the start of the game I made a living stealing from every home in every city just to get enough money before really starting my travels.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.