Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Can't wait for the GoTY edition...

Hawk456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hawk456

Can we accept the new regime of DLC has taken over and displaced "full" games at release... I'm guessing $45 worth of additional gameplay DLC by the time this game has run its course. What do you think?

miguelkosta76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By miguelkosta76
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3  Edited By galiant

Time is money, and I can't wait.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By swoxx

$45 worth of additional game play by who's standards?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SlightConfuse

Have fun waiting 2 years i guess. Also you have no idea how much dlc there is going to be.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I usually don't buy DLC anyway so I'll get it new.

But feel free to wait and get it all discounted, I cannot and will not blame you for it.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hitchenson

@Swoxx said:

$45 worth of additional game play by who's standards?

Your wallet.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PeasantAbuse

That sounds like a solid plan. Unfortunately I'm not patient enough to wait that long to play Skyrim.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By swoxx

@Hitchenson: I highly doubt it, oblivion had some stuff which wasn't worth half of what it was offered for.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Yeah, pretty much that.   

Some titles may have extraordinary DLC or something I really enjoy, at which case I gladly purchase it after finishing the original game. There's no joy in playing the DLC out of the box!
    Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Twitchey

My plan too. Wait until it's patched with some DLC and pay the same I would for the original with no patches and no DLC.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hitchenson

@Swoxx: I wasn't saying it was worth that amount. I'm saying that seems like a realistic amount of money for the DLC to come to in total. And I dunno, Bethesda have said they want to make more expansion pack type DLC and not smaller stuff. If that means more stuff in the vein of Shivering Isles, I'd say that would be worth it. But yeah, Oblivion DLC being worth it is another matter. Although as I said, I liked Shivering Isles and thought Knights of the Nine was pretty coo'. And horse armour, that shit was so good.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @slightconfuse said:
    Have fun waiting 2 years i guess. Also you have no idea how much dlc there is going to be.
    This. Not gonna just wait to save some money. Plus by the time GOTY comes out who knows what else will be released around that point. 
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RE_Player1

Lots of games this year have me waiting for the upcoming GOTY editions, including Batman and Skyrim. I never usd to like GOTY editions but when I got both Borderlands and Dragon Age Origins GOTY editions for $40 it was well worth the wait, I still have yet to 100% both of those games.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By I_smell

I'm buying it in November cos I'm not a complete baby. I still will not'av finished all the content in this game by the time the Game of the Year edition comes out GUARANTEED.

If you finish Skyrim and say "wow, where's the rest of it!?" then you're some kind of freak.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By MetalBaofu

I have no problem with paying 5-10 dollars for some DLC every couple months or so, if I want that particular DLC. Plus, going by what has been happening, the DLC will pop up on XBL/PSN for sale at some point. Sure it will total out to more money, but I'd rather not be a year behind on my games. And, I'm assuming Skyrim will be plenty long, without trying to do everything in the main game and all of the DLC at the same time, instead of spacing it out.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By McShank

@miguelkosta76 said:

I believe that I'll wait for the GOTY edition before buying the game.

Cheaper, patched and with all DLC...

http://thehalfgame.blogspot.com/

^^^ I dont believe this game will be as good as it is being praised to be, but I could be wrong. I dont think this is worth day 1 purchase with the mere fact of how big its supposed to be, the glitches will be just as big :D Maybe after 6months of patches and the GOTY comes out I to will buy it and see if its fun enough to justify spending more then 10$ on it like what i did with morrowwind and oblivion earlier this year. Games just arn't that fun but for 10$, you cant complain to much.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By jorbear

Fuck no. I'm going to play the shit out of Skyrim the day it comes out.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

I rarely buy all of the DLC that a game has to offer, so I don't really feel the need to wait for a Skyrim GOTY edition.

What will probably make me wait on Skyrim is Saints Row: The Third coming out the same week.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spoonman671

I can't wait either!  That's why I'm buying the standard version to keep me occupied for a year until they release the GOTY edition.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RazielCuts

Games not even out yet and people are proclaiming they 'can't wait'. Hyperbole at its finest.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By jelekeloy

My plan as of right now it to buy the game at launch but then wait to get the DLC on a Steam sale. If the game is a s huge as promised, I'm sure there will be plenty to do for quite a while.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Yeah, pretty much that.   

Some titles may have extraordinary DLC or something I really enjoy, at which case I gladly purchase it after finishing the original game. There's no joy in playing the DLC out of the box!
    Yep, what you said too.
    I pay for a full game at launch, DLC should rekindle my interest in the game after I'm done.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#24  Edited By Sin4profit

Literally can't wait for the GOTY edition...which is why i pre ordered it on Steam already.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Commisar123

I should wait but these games usually have more then enough content to make the production of DLC a true bonus worth paying for.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By redbliss

I was going to make a sarcastic comment, but it really isnt worth the time. If anyone is giving you more game for your dollar, it is Bethesda. You can expect to get 100+ hours out of Skyrim, and if you want to go back for more you can buy the DLC. If you are so upset about how Bethesda does DLC then by all means wait for the GOTY edition, but you should know that version wont be released for at least a year after the original. Honestly, I think Bethesda is one of the few developers that has gotten DLC right. I really have no problem paying $120 for all the Skyrim content because I know that content will keep me entertained for a while.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By beforet

I want my map. I'll wait for the DLC to go on sale.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By alexl86

Oblivion's GotY didn't have all the dlc (It had the two that mattered though). If they're doing a Shivering Isles-like expansion, I wouldn't expect more than that in the GotY to be honest.

I've already bought Skyrim, (im)patiently waiting for it to arrive in my mailbox.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yeah I'll probably wait for the GOTY edition as well.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm waiting until Black Friday to see if anyone is going to have it on sale because it's literally two weeks after the release and I'm not an idiot.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@jorbear said:

Fuck no. I'm going to play the shit out of Skyrim the day it comes out.

This. Plus in the States it's out on a fucking FRIDAY so that's a whole weekend uninterrupted.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Matfei90

I'll inevitably buy Skyrim again when all the DLC is out and the 'uber ultimate GOTY edition with everything' goes on sale on Steam.

And I don't care one bit. <3 Bethesda.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cataphract1014

@RazielCuts said:

Games not even out yet and people are proclaiming they 'can't wait'. Hyperbole at its finest.

Taking a commonly used phrase that means they really want something, and assuming they are being literal.

Mising the point at its finest.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

$45 of DLC? I may be British, but that seems like, either, a lot of DLC or some very expensive DLC.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#35  Edited By DarthOrange

Yea I'm waiting for this one and batman to be goty. I'm in no rush.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SlasherMan

The game will be bursting with content as is. Buying the GOTY edition would probably mean I'd be much more likely get bored of the game long before I even get close to seeing the end of it. And the likelyhood of that happening is pretty high as is even without any additional content.

I've spent over 70 hours in the recent Fallout games (combined, not each), and I have finished neither nor played any of the DLC add-ons for either. I tend to burn myself out on these games pretty quickly by having intensive play sessions for the first couple of weeks, but it's almost like I can't help it. I get so immersed in the world, always wanting to explore and see what's in every nook and cranny, and then one day I just lose interest and move on to something else.

I'll probably get it pretty soon after launch. I'm thinking I'll wait for a few rounds of fixes, and then I'll get it.

eagles_band

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By eagles_band

Skyrim won't be a full game at release? They've said there's about 300 hours of gameplay.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Arker101

@PeasantAbuse said:

That sounds like a solid plan. Unfortunately I'm not patient enough to wait that long to play Skyrim.

Yeah, if we were talking something along the lines of Fallout New Vegas, I'd do the same, but duder I'm way too excited for Skyrim to wait a year or two.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thebatmobile

I deeply respect your patience.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40  Edited By bvilleneuve

I have neither the time nor the money to buy and play Skyrim right now. I'll wait not only until the goatee edition comes out, but also until a couple Steam sales have gone by and I can get it for less then twenty bucks. I still have the Fallout 3 DLC, and New Vegas in its entirety, and the hundreds of hours of CRPG I've bought from Good Old Games, and oh man how do people find the time?

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Edwardryu

I don't wait because new game like skyrim is hotcake. while it is hot and juicy, I have to eat it. I buy many games every year. especially, new games. I pay official price. I believe that skyrim will have many DLC later. I am ok to buy all. I did it for mass effect 2 as well (I have all DLC). paying for games is nothing to me. I have to pay for mortgage, car payment, invest stock, and so on.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Stahlbrand

"I'll wait for the GOTY of a game that hasn't even been released" people are crazy.

Did FO3 not ship with $60 worth of entertainment? Did Oblivion, sans DLC, not feel like a complete and sprawling game? Then why would you expect Skyrim to provide less than a complete experience?

I played the snot out of Oblivion, FO3 and FONV as shipped, and later, much later, came back to play the DLC when I felt like getting back into the game. All three games offered a surfeit of content before DLC was offered, so I had no problem throwing down a few bucks for DLC packs later.

Besides that, maybe the DLC won't be worth the wait - it might be something you wouldn't buy anyways, and you'll have wasted all that time trying to save a buck.

DLC is an addition to a game, when done correctly, as Bethesda has done so far. Buying the core game does not obligate you to need the DLC, it isn't like this is a multiplayer game selling maps that will split the community into haves and have-nots. DLC is for people who want more stuff to do, or different stuff, probably after they've beaten the game once.

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy

Don't try to fucking lie, they usually come out within one year, not two. I have dealt with so many of you types of people, so I know all the cliches! FEAR ME!

Also, they're are other games available, not just Sykrim. Yes, I have patience. But I guess that's the price that I have to pay for my inability to suck dick. ON YOUR FUCKING KNEES PUPPETS!. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.