Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Contemplating getting Skyrim for Xbox rather then PC

• 130 results
    falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By falling_fast

why would you do that? think of all those awesome mods you'll be missing! (things like FCOM, Deadly Reflex, and Midas Magic, that is, not nude mods for creepy basement dwellers :/). I mean, hopefully Skyrim won't be broken like Oblivion was, but it was incredible how the modding scene actually made that game fun to play.

I can definitely see why you might buy other games for consoles over pc, in this age of crappy console to pc ports, but the Elder Scrolls series is always better on pc. No question about it

stoppre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By stoppre

Xbox...only because i don't have a PC capable of running it.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Deathshroud

Yeah I am thinking about getting it for PS3 or Xbox with being unsure if PC can run it ok . Do you think that If I can run The Witcher 2 on Med settings I should be able to run Skyrim ok? or should I get console version?

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Deathshroud

Anyone got some feedback .?

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By fjordson

@Deathshroud said:

Yeah I am thinking about getting it for PS3 or Xbox with being unsure if PC can run it ok . Do you think that If I can run The Witcher 2 on Med settings I should be able to run Skyrim ok? or should I get console version?

Probably. I've been out of the PC scene for a while so don't take my word for it, but Witcher 2 is fairly demanding right? And it's a PC exclusive. Skyrim was made with the consoles in mind so I wouldn't be surprised if it's less intensive as far as hardware requirements than Witcher 2.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By sagesebas

I'm getting it on ps3 and am happy about that fact

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By hoossy

I have a mac!

sooooo.... my answer is 360

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Deathshroud

@Fjordson said:

@Deathshroud said:

Probably. I've been out of the PC scene for a while so don't take my word for it, but Witcher 2 is fairly demanding right? And it's a PC exclusive. Skyrim was made with the consoles in mind so I wouldn't be surprised if it's less intensive as far as hardware requirements than Witcher 2.

I hope you are right . I have played the previous games on PC and would like to continue that legacy . Also modding is always a lot of fun to play around with.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By eroticfishcake

I don't see any problem with people buying it for consoles since everyone has their own reasons for doing so. Still, if you've got a capable PC (which you should since it's a DX9 game) then that's the best option for obvious reasons. But yeah, just buy for whatever platform you enjoy the most since I'm sure it'll be a good game regardless of modding.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By sreya92

You're headed in the wrong direction hoss. If anything, what with the rate of technology, the only way to keep up with the times is to go with the pc. Not to mention you get mods. Did you think about the fact that maybe you didn't finish the main quest because there was so much else out there offered by mods? You don't get that with the console, you get your vanilla quests and then it's done. Granted it'll take forever to do that but still, mods give fresh and invigorating content

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Vaile said:

@yoshimitz707 said:
    I'm getting it for 360 first and then picking up the PC version a year later when there a re tons of mods to try.
    This sounds like a safe bet. I prefer the 360 controls, so that's what I'm picking it up for.

Exactly what I'm doing as well.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By Samaritan

Do what I do and get both versions! Cause that's totally a viable and normal thing to do, right guys?!

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Contro

Don't do it!

konradbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By konradbm

I had Morrowind and Oblivion on PC, but I'll be getting Skyrim for my 360 because I gave up on PC gaming a while ago.

Even though Bethesda has made a point of making this game console compatible I would say that if you're PC can run it well then that's where I'd play it. Ultimately though I'd just play it where you want; the core game is going to be the same it'll just look a bit nicer.

KittenMitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By KittenMitten

@yoshimitz707 said:

I'm getting it for 360 first and then picking up the PC version a year later when there a re tons of mods to try.

This is my plan, but I would add that I would also rather play 300 hours of this game from my comfy couch rather than at my desk.

Tea_bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Tea_bird

I'll be getting it on 360 and PC. I'll play through first on 360 just because I like being able to lay on my bed and play, and controllers feel great to me... but I'll get PC right away so boyfriend can play separately with me.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By RsistncE

@Jimbo said:

Don't worry, we all make bad decisions from time to time.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By RsistncE

@ryanwho said:

I wonder how much of the ridiculous Bethesda mod scene has been contingent on using the same engine for the last 8 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of scene was contingent on it.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

PC is the way to go, i'd get it for PC if my PC could run it, but sadly it cannot.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DystopiaX

PC ports for bethesda games are usually fine though...

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Spoonman671

My PC can run it and I'm still getting it on PS3.  Do whatever fits you.

blackwurm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By blackwurm

i played oblivion on both xbox and pc and like it more on x-box because of the controls and aachievement.

Fallingfreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Fallingfreedom

To me it comes down to this...

I plan to get the PC version and RENT the xbox version... where I rent I have a game pass that lets me rent it for up to a month... I'll use that try them both.

But I hear Xbox will get the Downloadable content first. and I do love achivments + playing a game for 100+ hours on xbox is good too because when some good friends come on you can switch over to Gears 3 or something for a quick break and some social life instead of being walled off with the computer....

Avatar image for strikessalvation
    strikessalvation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By strikessalvation

Im getting it for both, as I am stuck in Afghanistan right now, but have my xbox and not my PC rig (which is at home) With 4 gigs of video memory (most people dont even have that mauch RAM!), i9, 4 cores all OC'ed to 3.9GHz and 6 gigs of the fastest ram on the planet, why not?! By the time I will be able to put it on my PC and 28inch monitor, there will be a ton of mods...either way I can't wait, and there is not point in working for a paycheck if i don't use it! Note: I went completly overboard on my PC, it was pretty much the best rig money could buy 2 years ago, but I kind of made sure it would last me about 6-8 years without having to upgrade! Software (game wise) is ages behind hardware, my god.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Master_Funk

Ill see if the PS3 version runs well first. Id rather play on my big TV then the macbook Pro Bootcamp Im using.

Dry_Carton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Dry_Carton

You're getting it on the Xbox because you don't have enough self control to play it the way you want to play it on the PC? o_O

In any case, you should probably wait for reviews before buying anything. You never know, maybe one version will have a lot of bugs or performance issues or something like that.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By confusedowl

Get it on whatever platform you want. The PC elitism in this thread astounds me. I'm getting it on the Xbox because the PC version forces steam so I'd rather just play it on the console. You shouldn't listen to anyone but yourself because other people are just going to try to get you to play on whatever platform they prefer.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#78  Edited By Brendan

I tried to download the FCOM mod for Oblivion on my computer but I couldn't do it. Seriously, actually trying to download mods for the first time on my computer was impossible for me. I couldn't even find the actual game file among the Steam bullshit it's hidden in to attach BOSS and Wrye Bash. Once I thought I actually found it (the file that you click on to start the game) and created a differrent folder to add BOSS and Wrye Bash to, the shit wasn't working anyway.

I would probably buy it on console (for the living room, controller function) just because I think I'm just missing basic computer competency to appreciate the mods anyway.

ripsaw117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ripsaw117

If your playing the console version your doing it wrong...... this is just one of those games.....

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By thebatmobile

@ripsaw117 said:

If your playing the console version your doing it wrong...... this is just one of those games.....

It's wrong to play a console game developed for a console? Yeah, totally weird man.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually start every new TES game on the xbox, that way I can't be tempted to use console commands and cheat, because god mode always finds a way to look appealing. I also feel it's a good way to experience the game the creators wanted us too, as I usually mod the PC versions heavily. Also, Cheevos!

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Stahlbrand

@Brendan said:

I tried to download the FCOM mod for Oblivion on my computer but I couldn't do it. Seriously, actually trying to download mods for the first time on my computer was impossible for me. I couldn't even find the actual game file among the Steam bullshit it's hidden in to attach BOSS and Wrye Bash. Once I thought I actually found it (the file that you click on to start the game) and created a differrent folder to add BOSS and Wrye Bash to, the shit wasn't working anyway.

I would probably buy it on console (for the living room, controller function) just because I think I'm just missing basic computer competency to appreciate the mods anyway.

Like most things in life, using major mods like FCOM or OOO is very difficult to learn initially, but very rewarding if you get over the difficulty hump.

If your first attempt to implement a mod was FCOM, well I respect your ambition, and I'm not surprised you had difficulty -- that is very much running before you can walk.

I think the first Oblivion mod I used was just to add cloaks and capes, and even then I cut my teeth years earlier using (and occasionally making) custom skins for Q3, CS and DoD.

Maybe its not for you, but maybe you should stick with it and grow your competency.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#83  Edited By EnchantedEcho

I'm scared after RAGE that it will be a big fuckup and wont work, even though my computer is way above the recommended specs.

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SpicyRichter

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a 30" monitor and a couch in my computer room behind my desk chair, so I just move that bitch out of the way, stretch out on the couch and enjoy high res graphics and 7.1 surround using a wired xbox controller

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Stahlbrand

@EnchantedEcho: Why do you think RAGE has anything to do with Skyrim? I mean, just because they're published by the same company doesn't mean much. That'd be like worrying about MW3 because the GoldenEye remake looks like lazy garbage -- they're both published by Activision after all.

Besides which, I get the strong impression that if you computer meets the recommended specs and you can play FO:NV on it well you probably shouldn't have any problems.

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By SpicyRichter

@Ezakael said:

Get it on whatever platform you want. The PC elitism in this thread astounds me. I'm getting it on the Xbox because the PC version forces steam so I'd rather just play it on the console. You shouldn't listen to anyone but yourself because other people are just going to try to get you to play on whatever platform they prefer.

It astounds you? No lies have been told here... it WILL play and look better on the PC, I don't think anyone has said anything different than that. He asked for advise and everyone has told the truth. And since when is using Steam a bad thing?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#87  Edited By mike

I've been doing quite a bit of research and trying to figure out which version of Skyrim to pick up, and I'm definitely going PC. Here are the main reasons:

• It's going to look far better on PC than 360 or PS3 (at least on my hardware)
    • Mod support...primarily an inventory mod. Being overburdened is simply maddening and I refuse to deal with it. Encumbrance really ruins RPG's for me.
    • Mouse & Keyboard. Trying to arrange all the skulls I had collected in Oblivion onto a shelf in my house took hours because of the difficulty in doing so with a controller.

I'm sure there are more, but yeah...PC is the way to go here.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By bioblood22

If I had a rig that could run this better than my 360 I'd be getting this for PC, but instead of getting a much better PC I put what money I had to a new car...damn the fact that I needed a new car!

EDIT: If your rig can run this better than a console, then I'd think that'd be an easy choice but hey there are more factors than just how well it's run. There's the mouse/controller thing.(I know you can use controllers on PCs) there's the whole what you like more the couch or your comp chair. Again I know you can play your PCs on TV screens. Doesn't mean you have all the extra stuff to do all that. But PC for TES is normally the better choice.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @MB

I've been doing quite a bit of research and trying to figure out which version of Skyrim to pick up, and I'm definitely going PC. Here are the main reasons:

• It's going to look far better on PC than 360 or PS3 (at least on my hardware)
    • Mod support...primarily an inventory mod. Being overburdened is simply maddening and I refuse to deal with it. Encumbrance really ruins RPG's for me.
    • Mouse & Keyboard. Trying to arrange all the skulls I had collected in Oblivion onto a shelf in my house took hours because of the difficulty in doing so with a controller.

I'm sure there are more, but yeah...PC is the way to go here.

Hit the nail on the head.
    IrishBrewed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By IrishBrewed

360 version has frame rate issues, rolling screens. I choose superior hardware any day of the week.

Plus inventory management with the mouse is the only way too go IMO. DA2 proves that a game made for just a console is a fail RPG/ Bethesda has a deep PC fan base and will hold true to it no matter how much they cater to the console controls.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Stahlbrand

I'm certainly getting it for the PC first, but I don't think all this macho posturing is really called for or productive. I'm sure the console releases will be fine, I'll probably get the 360 GOTY version - I did the same with Oblivion. I played and modded the snot out of it, and two years later picked up the 360 release with SI, and bought all the other DLC when Oblivion marketplace content was DOTW half priced - so I got to play the DLC and SI, S-rank the game, and go back to the 'vanilla' experience after spending so much time in a modded game.

360 Oblivion was fine. It wasn't a patch on the PC version if you consider the mods, but it wasn't a worse game at all on the basic level. I'm sure Skyrim will be the same, so I think PC is the way to go if you already laid out the cash for a fancy gaming rig like I have, but if your PC is incapable, or is going to be a poor experience, go with the console release, no need for dramatic declarations or hostility.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Hitchenson

That's insanity. Utter insanity.

theWarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By theWarren

I'd love to see some actual proof of these "360 version has frame rate issues, rolling screens" on non-prerelease code.

Either way, I'm a Mac user. There's no Mac version of the game (that I am aware of) and I couldn't be bothered to Boot Camp for a game. The 360 experience will be fine without cheats.

Plus for me, 46 inch TV with the surround sound waking up my wife with the sound of chanting vikings? It doesn't get much better than that.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#94  Edited By galiant

I'm getting it for PS3. People saying that getting it on a console is a bad choice can continue ranting about that and I'll still have a great time with my console version, just like I did with New Vegas.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#95  Edited By 234r2we232

Sane people buy their games for consoles ;)

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Brendan

@Stahlbrand said:

@Brendan said:

Like most things in life, using major mods like FCOM or OOO is very difficult to learn initially, but very rewarding if you get over the difficulty hump.

If your first attempt to implement a mod was FCOM, well I respect your ambition, and I'm not surprised you had difficulty -- that is very much running before you can walk.

I think the first Oblivion mod I used was just to add cloaks and capes, and even then I cut my teeth years earlier using (and occasionally making) custom skins for Q3, CS and DoD.

Maybe its not for you, but maybe you should stick with it and grow your competency.

It would probably be more for me if I even had a computer that could run stuff well, but I'm doing this on my laptop so the I'm not even sure it's worth it at the time.

My problems that make it feel impossible for me are the steps that should be the easiest in the process. For instance, every mod tutorial asks you to (obviously) find your game file. I get games off Steam, and looking through all of my files I can't even find the game data (executable) among that crap to put things into the right folders! Is it way easier to do mod stuff if you have boxed PC games or something?

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Stahlbrand

@Brendan: Yeah, finding the data directory in your steamapps folder is a bit of a pain, but when you do, my tip is to create a desktop shortcut to the /Oblvion/Data (or Fallout/Data, etc) directory so you never have to worry about that again. I don't have Oblivion through Steam, but my FO:NV directory is at Program Files(x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/FalloutNewVegas, I don't know if that helps you or not, I know some games get shoved into random named folders, in which case searching your Steam directory for the game name might be the best option.

If your computer isn't up to running the game as a good experience, then just go for the console release, you'll probably have a better time overall playing a game that performs well but lacks mods than you would trying to trick Skyrim into running on an under-powered laptop, mods and command console notwithstanding.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Brendan

@Stahlbrand: I ended up finding the Oblivion game file by searching on my start bar for the game. I still found it impossible to get anything to work though, so you're probably right about it being too complicated for me to do right out of the gate. I will probably end up buying Skyrim for my console, but someday I do plan on buying a gaming worthy PC and it would be nice to have the knowledge to take advantage of some of most fun strengths of the system.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Stahlbrand

@Brendan: That sounds like a good plan to me.

Filch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Filch

The trade-off for me here is, do I want to spend LONG periods of sitting in front of a 24inch monitor, office chair, stereo sound, with superior graphics performance, and maybe I might try some mods (I don't usually replay games).

or...

Sit on comfy couch, 100" projection screen, full surround and loud, with somewhat reduced graphic fidelity, and potentially no driver headaches, etc.

I still can't decide.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.