Did I get screwed, or is this map just not actually cloth?

• 59 results
zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By zFUBARz

it looks cool and feel nice, but it's fancy paper not an old school cloth map. Did i get boned and there is a a different version out there or is this just how it is?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

got pics? 

Edit: Here's his picture: 

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jozzy

Mine is fancy paper too, got the regular edition.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nah man i'v got the same :(

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zFUBARz

hmmm good to know, that's such a weird thing for a publisher to lie about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:

got pics?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/38952010150376528702659.jpg/

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

Mine is paper too.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BonOrbitz

I got the regular edition and the back of the case says "Premium Physical Map Inside". I guess "premium" means fancy paper.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sbaitso

So its just the same as the one that came with oblivion?

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Skyrider

I think the "cloth" one was for the limited edition version?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

So the pre-order map is fancy paper and the one that comes with all copies is shitty paper?

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zFUBARz

@PeasantAbuse: lol fair enough, but textured paper is not even remotely close to burlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could have sworn that amazon stated it was cloth oh well not a big deal I suppose. At least i'v got the game now finally :).

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zFUBARz

oh let me be clear, the game is still great, the map is much better quality than the ones in morrowind and oblivion, but many places where saying cloth as in super old school rpg cloth map. a tad disappointing i love real scwagg for games like this. I still have my old civ 3 manual which is essentially an encyclopaedia,

PS I have no idea how to spell scwagg but that way looks cool

Avatar image for countinhallways
countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By countinhallways

Yeah this textured thingy is actually kind of annoying. Can't wrap/roll it up like you could cloth, and it is so damn sturdy (which is in itself a good thing) that when folded up it won't fit in the game case for me.

Still it was totally free and I definitely respect the sentiment behind it. Also, the game is obviously most important, and it is damn good so far.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JP_Russell

@zFUBARz said:

@PeasantAbuse: lol fair enough, but textured paper is not even remotely close to burlap

They said "a very similar feel to burlap" on the Bethblog post, not that it was actually similar to burlap. But I do think they knew perfectly well that everyone in the world would take that obscure wording to mean it was a cloth map, and an intentional deception is as good as an out-and-out lie, in my mind. Dirty, dirty.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By AndrewB

I definitely looked at it and wondered if I had been screwed with my preorder. I guess if everyone was screwed, that makes me feel a little better.

Okay, it's not *that* bad. The material feels and smells like wallpaper to me. But when you say "like burlap," the last material I think of is wallpaper.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bombHills

Yeah, I got mine from Amazon for the premium map... A bit disappointing, but what ever. Feels a bit like vinyl.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By devilzrule27

I was under the impression that the map was a pre-order bonus but I got one in my PS3 copy.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@Voxel said:

Mine is paper too.

Its a Canvas fine paper print num nuts.

EDIT: This is some pretty fine quailty canvas paper, for blank canvas paper like this its usuall like 20 bucks for a big print, Alot of artist like it. The only reason it probably seems poor quality is cuz its folded to fit in the game.

c0kemusheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By c0kemusheen

Ya I got the "fake cloth" map with my copy of skyrim but it wasn't preordered, just picked it up from wal-mart. I guess the first run of copies all have the same map. Sounds like a little false advertisement to get people to preorder

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Leptok

According to Bethesda, the premium-quality map will be made out of a "high-grade material" similar to burlap, and it is limited to North American and European gamers only.

Those who do not preorder the game will receive the same map, but it will be printed on paper.

So do preorder people have the paper one?

SealJuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SealJuice

Hi Guys,

I just spent an hour at Best Buy arguing with them because I couldn't believe the paper map in the box was the preorder bonus. If they managed expectations better, there would not have been so much disappointment. Is the map in the collector edition actually cloth or is it fancy paper as well?

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By inkerman

According to the email I got from Ozgameshop, Skyrim pre-orders did come with a cloth map, however they ran out of these, and so paper ones were substituted.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Zippedbinders

@senorfuzzeh said:

@Voxel said:

Mine is paper too.

Its a Canvas fine paper print num nuts.

EDIT: This is some pretty fine quailty canvas paper, for blank canvas paper like this its usuall like 20 bucks for a big print, Alot of artist like it. The only reason it probably seems poor quality is cuz its folded to fit in the game.

Mostly this. Its canvas paper, not the best quality canvas paper, but still a big step up from Oblivion's map.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Did a quick Google search of "Skyrim cloth map" All I found was pictures of what I got in my own pre order. So I wonder if there is even a real cloth map.  

Mine has a large burlap feeling paper map. This is a very far throw from "Cloth" Map.  

I went to Kotaku and they claim Beth said  

That is, if they pre-order. Bethesda has confirmed today that anyone who pre-orders Skyrim  will "automatically receive a premium quality world map with their copy as a no-extra-cost-to-you bonus." The developer adds that the map of Skyrim is made of a "high-grade material that has a feel similar to burlap, and will be available in North America and Europe." 

No one said cloth map it seems.  

Seems we can trace this " lie" to Kotaku. And their want to drum up hits.  

Kotaku link below 
http://kotaku.com/5815032/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-has-a-cloth-map-naturally 

As you can see it says " cloth" But inside it say " Burlap"  

Burlap is a kind of cloth. But not something the average person would think of when you say " Cloth"  

Yes it is cloth. No its not the kind you can roll up or use as a cover.  

Think Potato sack.  

So this "Lie" might be to get more pre orders. Or just a slip of words. Who knows. But yes it IS a cloth map. 

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JP_Russell

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Did a quick Google search of "Skyrim cloth map" All I found was pictures of what I got in my own pre order. So I wonder if there is even a real cloth map.

Mine has a large burlap feeling paper map. This is a very far throw from "Cloth" Map.

That is, if they pre-order. Bethesda has confirmed today that anyone who pre-orders Skyrim will "automatically receive a premium quality world map with their copy as a no-extra-cost-to-you bonus." The developer adds that the map of Skyrim is made of a "high-grade material that has a feel similar to burlap, and will be available in North America and Europe." No one said cloth map it seems.

Bethesda didn't, but everyone else, including journalists and retailers, did. It's very easy to read what they said as meaning "some sort of cloth," since you naturally don't think of other kinds of materials as feeling like burlap. Bethesda didn't make it clear what kind of material it was in their post and even described it in a way that highly suggests cloth, which I think can only have been intentional.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@JP_Russell said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Did a quick Google search of "Skyrim cloth map" All I found was pictures of what I got in my own pre order. So I wonder if there is even a real cloth map.

That is, if they pre-order. Bethesda has confirmed today that anyone who pre-orders Skyrim will "automatically receive a premium quality world map with their copy as a no-extra-cost-to-you bonus." The developer adds that the map of Skyrim is made of a "high-grade material that has a feel similar to burlap, and will be available in North America and Europe." No one said cloth map it seems.

Bethesda didn't, but everyone else, including journalists and retailers, did. It's very easy to read what they said as meaning "some sort of cloth," since you naturally don't think of other kinds of materials as feeling like burlap. Bethesda didn't make it clear what kind of material it was in their post, which I think can only have been intentional.

Read my edited version. 
matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By matthias2437

Yeah not once did they say it was a cloth map BTW. But yeah it if kind of funny they said it was a pre order bonus but every copy has it. Weird.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JP_Russell

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@JP_Russell said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Bethesda didn't, but everyone else, including journalists and retailers, did. It's very easy to read what they said as meaning "some sort of cloth," since you naturally don't think of other kinds of materials as feeling like burlap. Bethesda didn't make it clear what kind of material it was in their post, which I think can only have been intentional.

Read my edited version.

That doesn't really change anything. I've read the original Bethblog post. Their wording makes it sound like they're saying it's a kind of high-grade cloth that feels similar to burlap. That is an entirely reasonable presumption because burlap is cloth, and you don't think of things that aren't cloth as feeling like burlap. Neither Kotaku nor anyone else who made that presumption were in the wrong. I believe Bethesda simply intentionally used unclear language to make their map sound like something that was more appealing than the thing it actually is.

hidys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hidys

@The_Laughing_Man: my life changed for the better when I stopped visiting kotaku.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@JP_Russell said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@JP_Russell said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Read my edited version.

That doesn't really change anything. I've read the original Bethblog post. Their wording makes it sound like they're saying it's a kind of high-grade cloth that feels similar to burlap. That is an entirely reasonable presumption because burlap is cloth, and you don't think of things that aren't cloth as feeling like burlap. Neither Kotaku nor anyone else who made that presumption were in the wrong. I believe Bethesda simply intentionally used unclear language to make their map sound like something that was more appealing than the thing it actually is.

I Never said they did. I am stating many people assumed a softer cloth. ANd if one did a quick glance of headlines. They might assume that as well. 
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JP_Russell

@The_Laughing_Man: Oh, wait, I see what you're saying - I didn't interpret your edited post fully.

"But yes it IS a cloth map."

You misunderstand - the map people are getting is not made of burlap, and is not made of a cloth that is or feels similar to burlap. Judging from Youtube videos of it, it seems like just a synthetic paper canvas of some sort (I.E., not even real, cloth canvas). It's nice, as paper goes. It's just not cloth.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@JP_Russell said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Oh, wait, I see what you're saying - I didn't interpret your edited post fully.

"But yes it IS a cloth map."

You misunderstand - the map people are getting is not made of burlap, and is not made of a cloth that is or feels similar to burlap. Judging from Youtube videos of it, it seems like just a synthetic paper canvas of some sort (I.E., not even real, cloth canvas). It's nice, as paper goes. It's just not cloth.

O wow really? Mine was a straight out of the shipping box copy. 
tomshreds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tomshreds

I got the same paper map, very good quality paper. For my preorder I got an awesome steel case:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

I'm very happy with it, didn't feel screwed at all. It was handed over the 30 first clients today for the preorders.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zFUBARz

I still haven't seen any examples of people with an actual cloth map, think you guys who said you got it can post a picture for us? I'm just curious to see what it looks like.

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By w00ties

@Leptok said:

According to Bethesda, the premium-quality map will be made out of a "high-grade material" similar to burlap, and it is limited to North American and European gamers only.

Those who do not preorder the game will receive the same map, but it will be printed on paper.

So do preorder people have the paper one?

I preordered the game and I have the "Premium" paper map. It feels nice.

@SealJuice said:

Hi Guys,

I just spent an hour at Best Buy arguing with them because I couldn't believe the paper map in the box was the preorder bonus. If they managed expectations better, there would not have been so much disappointment. Is the map in the collector edition actually cloth or is it fancy paper as well?

That's awesome. I preordered from Best Buy as well, but on my way out the door with my copy I realized that they didn't hand me anything with the game (I thought maps were separate). I headed back to the counter but didn't really have the will to argue with the cashier so I headed for the door again. After making one more fruitless attempt towards the cashier I finally left. Haha, I wanted to avoid appearing absolutely crazy over a map, but I probably looked more insane circling the Best Buy checkout area.

I opened the box in the car and realized the fancy map was inside, but I was kind of hoping we would receive two - one normal copy in the box (for the wall) and an additional fancy copy for... well, just to be awesome.

wsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wsninja

So the paper one that comes in the box is the preoder bonus? I sent an email to amazon saying I didnt get my pre order bonus and they said they were sending something to me. Now i feel bad for sending them an email.

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By Vamino

@Inkerman said:

According to the email I got from Ozgameshop, Skyrim pre-orders did come with a cloth map, however they ran out of these, and so paper ones were substituted.

When did you get that email, out of curiousity? I haven't gotten anything like that, but I guess I haven't inquired about what I'll be getting. Still got a week or so of waiting until I get my copy I expect, unfortunately.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Matfei90

They never said it was cloth. They said it was high quality textured paper to give it a burlap-esque look and feel.

I think it looks great, no complaints.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By inkerman
@Vamino said:

@Inkerman said:

According to the email I got from Ozgameshop, Skyrim pre-orders did come with a cloth map, however they ran out of these, and so paper ones were substituted.

When did you get that email, out of curiousity? I haven't gotten anything like that, but I guess I haven't inquired about what I'll be getting. Still got a week or so of waiting until I get my copy I expect, unfortunately.

Got that email on the 4th. They didn't say that everyone would be getting a paper map, so I suspect that only some people will be getting the substitute, so I guess you're one of the lucky ones.
zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zFUBARz

they did say everyone who pre orders would though.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AlexW00d  Online

I was hoping it was cloth, but I never did once read that it was cloth.

Spartacus714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Spartacus714

...that's fucked up.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By buzz_killington

@zFUBARz said:

Did i get boned

Only you can answer that question, my friend.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Raineko

I got the regular-ass edition but still got the super fancy kind of paper, it feels really thick and I think it is actually cloth.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By zFUBARz

@buzz_killington: lmao, well i know what's going to the top of my christmas list

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JP_Russell

@Matfei90 said:

They never said it was cloth. They said it was high quality textured paper to give it a burlap-esque look and feel.

I think it looks great, no complaints.

They never directly called it cloth, but they absolutely did not call it a "high quality textured paper to give it a burlap-esque look and feel," or anything near that specific a description of the material.

http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/06/23/get-a-premium-skyrim-map-with-your-preorder/

"We’ve received plenty of questions about the map. So you know, it’s a high-grade material that has a feel similar to burlap, and will be available in North America and European territories. There will be a regular paper map included in all copies of the game, but if you want to get the premium map, we recommend pre-ordering the game."

The use of the word "material" (commonly used to refer to cloth) alongside a description of it feeling similar to burlap, and having no other descriptors of the kind of material it is, could only reasonably have been taken at the time to mean some nondescript type of cloth material that is similar in texture to burlap.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Insectecutor

The in-game maps are drawn on paper. If you must have physical junk shouldn't it at least match up with the game?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.