Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

High quality Falmer render using blender: What next?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I was bored, and couldn't sleep, so decided to mess around with rendering some Skyrim stuff in Blender. I am by no means a master of either, but I thought the results looked pretty cool so I thought I'd share, and also ask what I should render next from the game? Keep in mind that I'm not really sure how to do something like render an entire city (though I'd love to try and figure out how to get Markarth into blender one way or another and render it out all pretty like this), but perhaps a race and armor set would be a good place to start. Or maybe a dragon. Or hell, a chicken if that's your thing. Perhaps lots of soft body chickens falling into a pile? I dunno, tell me what I should do next!

Trying to capture the
    Trying to capture the "Vanilla" look of Skyrim
    Went all out with fancy rendering techniques and removed the infamous ambient light that is ever present in Skyrim.
    Went all out with fancy rendering techniques and removed the infamous ambient light that is ever present in Skyrim.
    Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Talis12

looks nice.. rendering an entire city could form some problems though.. skyrim consists of multiple area's, all with their exterior and interiors and each consists of hundreds of pieces put together.. not sure if you could import an entire area at once or if you need to redo each separate piece one by one..

starting with weapon, armor and character models seems the right way to go

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Am I the only one who thinks that looks cell shaded?

edit: I take that back not cell shaded but I think it looks worse than before. Why would you take away the depth producing hard contrasting light? I think they made that design decision on purpose.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@VisariLoyalist: That's more the fault of using Vanilla textures/normal maps. If this were a normal CG character with a massive polycount, there would be a lot more detail to it, which would catch the light in more interesting ways. The SSS was also part of that, I just didn't do much to tweak it to help retain sharpness.

Also, adding more lighting/sharpening it up helps with that. But that wasn't the point of this. It was to show that soft lighting has a place in gaming. High contrast lighting is cool, but that's not what this is about. It's the idea of sneaking through a dungeon with a creepy creature just at the edge of the light of a small fire or torch, half shrouded in shadows. Skyrim looks fine, but I think sharp contrast needs to come with a sort of aesthetic that embraces it. Skyrim just feels like a nor terribly advanced engine, without cool Post processing, just lots of hard, simple, jagged things. I think the games looks great. But I like games with a more organic look. Things like Ambient Occlusion and limited ambient lighting may not make things as "sharp" but they are more akin to a real world scene.

It looks a lot different now that I've started on a scene for things to end up in (A bridge over a river, simple but lets me play with day/night and other lighting).

A matter of taste, at the end of the day I think. I just want to make a point that games don't have to look like FEAR with severe ass lighting. They don't need to have some silly ambient light flooding into your eyeballs when you're in a damn cave underground with hardly any source of light.

Also, I did this in a night, and most of the time was spent getting importing meshes/getting UVs to work properly/ remembering to recalculate normals and figuring out to remove doubles.

@sideshow: I know how Skyrim works. I've spent 150+ hours :p But I don't need to do interiors. Just the city itself. But even then, it's a bunch of meshes and textures set together according to some code, so either way it'll probably be a bunch of pieces being brought together in an attempt to keep things accurate. I can't imagine there's a way to import it all together as it is in the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.