Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Master difficulty

bitterninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bitterninja

Has anyone done this? any opinions?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By project343

I personally don't see the point, unless you're a masochist who needs a radical sense of accomplishment. There are no achievements, and (as far as I'm aware) you receive the exact same loot. Or if you've managed to break your character through min-maxing and the defeault difficulty is terribly easy.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pinworm45

@project343 said:

I personally don't see the point, unless you're a masochist who needs a radical sense of accomplishment. There are no achievements, and (as far as I'm aware) you receive the exact same loot. Or if you've managed to break your character through min-maxing and the defeault difficulty is terribly easy.

The point is that, for me at least, the game was boring to the point of being unplayable on easier difficulties.

I haven't tried master yet, but the second last difficulty greatly increased my enjoyment of the game, personally

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By sixghost
    @project343 said:

I hate this mentality that's arisen lately because of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. If you like playing games that are difficult, or on hard difficulties "MAN UR SOME KIND OF MASOCHIST SADIST WHO HATES YOURSELF WHOS GOT A CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER AND SOMETHING TO PROVE."  But if there was an achievement for it, it would be totally ok though, lol.

Maybe he's someone who's played previous Elder Scrolls games and finds default too easy?
    mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mandude

I play on Expert. Thinking it might be just a bit too easy...but then I come across bandit leader, who somehow managed to be more powerful than all his bandits put together.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @sixghost said:
    @project343 said:

I hate this mentality that's arisen lately because of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. If you like playing games that are difficult, or on hard difficulties "MAN UR SOME KIND OF MASOCHIST SADIST WHO HATES YOURSELF WHOS GOT A CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER AND SOMETHING TO PROVE."  But if there was an achievement for it, it would be totally ok though, lol.  Maybe he's someone who's played previous Elder Scrolls games and finds default too easy?
    Maybe you should take it easy?
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

@mandude said:

I play on Expert. Thinking it might be just a bit too easy...but then I come across bandit leader, who somehow managed to be more powerful than all his bandits put together.

I have the same experience on Adept. Maybe after I smith and upgrade a full suit of dragon armor, I'll bump the difficulty up one more.

bitterninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bitterninja

I just enjoy each encounter being fun and challenging, at the moment I am tearing through the trash mobs and only have a challenge on the dragon priests/bandit leaders. Its not for achievements I am just loving this game, being 107 hours in now, and want to do a new character with different skill sets and and extend my enjoyment.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sixghost said:

@project343 said:

I hate this mentality that's arisen lately because of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. If you like playing games that are difficult, or on hard difficulties "MAN UR SOME KIND OF MASOCHIST SADIST WHO HATES YOURSELF WHOS GOT A CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER AND SOMETHING TO PROVE." But if there was an achievement for it, it would be totally ok though, lol.

Seriously, it is fucking annoying. I'm playing a semi-difficult video game, how does that make me a masochist?

firewrkninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By firewrkninja

i felt default was too easy and wanted a challenge so day one i turned it to master and then forgot about it.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I have been playing on Adept, and it was easy until I got to the Dragon Priests. I had to turn it down to Novice for those guys. It's not even fun to fight them, it's just annoying that they have so much HP.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Ramone

It's hard dude. For some reason the game defaulted to Master so I was playing at that difficulty for the first 10-15 hours without realising. I was eventually getting one shotted all the time so I checked the difficulty, realised what happened and knocked it down to Adept.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By project343

@sixghost said:

@project343 said:

I hate this mentality that's arisen lately because of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. If you like playing games that are difficult, or on hard difficulties "MAN UR SOME KIND OF MASOCHIST SADIST WHO HATES YOURSELF WHOS GOT A CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER AND SOMETHING TO PROVE." But if there was an achievement for it, it would be totally ok though, lol. Maybe he's someone who's played previous Elder Scrolls games and finds default too easy?

As someone who's also played previous Elder Scrolls games as well, I'll also say that that default difficulty is a little too easy, and this setting is obviously designed for those who just play the game, and aren't aware of the overarching implications to the Bethesda character building. But I think there's a clear difference between Skyrim's Master and Demon/Dark Souls. Those games beckon tangible player skill to succeed. It demands you to outperform the game. On Skyrim, however, you're simply altering enemy health and damage. Altering this setting really only seems reasonable if you're one-shotting every Draugr in the crypt. And the only way to overcome the Master setting is to obsessively pre-plan, min-max, and break the game. I mean, the player skill ceiling is only so high in these Elder Scrolls games. At the Master level, the RPG takes over as a the defining victory-determiner, as opposed to the Action.

I suppose my point is that RPGs and difficulty settings have always seemed like a waste of time unless you are brutally efficient at Excel spreadsheets. Dark Souls, while clearly an RPG, still requires so much tangible player skill to overcome this challenge. And I find that compelling and completely acceptable. At some point, I can only imagine Skyrim on Master being: "okay, now this Dragon one-shots me if he hits me, and he'll take 3000 arrows to kill, as opposed to 35." And no part of that inclined difficulty sounds compelling enough to me to up the setting.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By tekmojo

It's definitely easier in some spots and then you get that one enemy that completely murders your face. It doesn't happen all the time so I'm ok with it, can be tweaked.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deusx

@sixghost said:

@project343 said:

I hate this mentality that's arisen lately because of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. If you like playing games that are difficult, or on hard difficulties "MAN UR SOME KIND OF MASOCHIST SADIST WHO HATES YOURSELF WHOS GOT A CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER AND SOMETHING TO PROVE." But if there was an achievement for it, it would be totally ok though, lol. Maybe he's someone who's played previous Elder Scrolls games and finds default too easy?

Isn't that the point of having different difficulty choices? Your comment is just you pissed at people who think they are better at a game because they played it on hard or master or whatever. Guess what, they are.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dillonwerner

Master is too easy, I am anxiously waiting someone to come out with a mod that increases the difficulty.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aetheldod

Oh yes master im playing ... heard all the talk of the game being too easy , im happy to say that master does give you a run for your money specially at low levels , but you get a satisfaction when your character begins to be a total baller , a few encounters proved to be very difficult (as in I got 1 shooted by the enemy) but I ike to use all my skills/potions/poisons to the fullest

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DillonWerner said:

Master is too easy, I am anxiously waiting someone to come out with a mod that increases the difficulty.

i dunno which version you're playing. there's a mod for hardcore difficulty. i've considered downloading it and giving it a whirl.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=852

Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jake_K

Expert is perfect.

I don't mind taking more damage, but on Master everything just soaks up too much damage and breaks the immersion for me.

On expert I can 1/2 shot wolves, but dragons are still a force to be reckoned with. I have a pretty hard time with them (ie loads of potions) at level 18, but I may have just spec'd poorly.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By sixghost
    @Deusx said:

@sixghost said:

@project343 said:

Isn't that the point of having different difficulty choices? Your comment is just you pissed at people who think they are better at a game because they played it on hard or master or whatever. Guess what, they are.

It was actually the opposite of that. More just annoyed that playing games considered to be hard, or upping the difficulty in games has become stigmatized as something only people who are crazy, or hate themselves do.
    dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dillonwerner

@RubberBabyBuggyBumpers said:

@DillonWerner said:

i dunno which version you're playing. there's a mod for hardcore difficulty. i've considered downloading it and giving it a whirl.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=852

Jesus this looks scary...

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Deusx

@sixghost said:

@Deusx said:

@sixghost said:

@project343 said:

It was actually the opposite of that. More just annoyed that playing games considered to be hard, or upping the difficulty in games has become stigmatized as something only people who are crazy, or hate themselves do.

Oh, sorry. Then you're right, there's a lot of fun in playin' hard games just for the sake of it.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jack268

I think the game gets more boring at the higher difficulties. The AI doesn't get smarter, they just apply a modifier to their HP and damage. The end result is that you get more combat, which really isn't the strong part of TES at all.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I bumped my difficulty up to expert a couple days ago because adept was getting way too easy. Now I'm starting to feel the same way about expert so I think I'll switch to master soon.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Th3_James

I'm playing on expert. That's enough for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.