Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

My Personal (Negative) Opinion on Skyrim/Elder Scrolls

• 65 results
    SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By SpencerTucksen

I'm sorry, but to me, all Elder Scrolls games are overrated. The quality of gameplay is good, but not impeccable. I feel like some enemies are cheap and the first person view just plain gets you killed at times, in my experience. There are always bugs. They've had a bad history with graphical issues (have you SEEN the faces in previous games?). The first person melee is nauseating, but of course that doesn't apply to everyone, even though I have NEVER had that problem with other FP games. I don't know, i just simply do not find any interest in playing Skyrim. It looks moderately pretty (but with games like Batman and Uncharted, the graphical prowess isn't mind boggling), but I just don't love anything about it. Please explain why YOU love it so much?

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SpencerTucksen

I'm sorry, but to me, all Elder Scrolls games are overrated. The quality of gameplay is good, but not impeccable. I feel like some enemies are cheap and the first person view just plain gets you killed at times, in my experience. There are always bugs. They've had a bad history with graphical issues (have you SEEN the faces in previous games?). The first person melee is nauseating, but of course that doesn't apply to everyone, even though I have NEVER had that problem with other FP games. I don't know, i just simply do not find any interest in playing Skyrim. It looks moderately pretty (but with games like Batman and Uncharted, the graphical prowess isn't mind boggling), but I just don't love anything about it. Please explain why YOU love it so much?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By project343

Now, compare Oblivion to ANY other current generation Western RPG (and hell, even JRPG). Oblivion will still stand as superior. Why is that?

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@project343: I personally found Demon's Souls to be better. Other than that, never been a ginormous RPG fan, overall.

Floope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Floope

@SpencerTucksen said:

@SpencerTucksen said:

@project343:Other than that, never been a ginormous RPG fan, overall.

I think I found the problem.

The faces were a art-design flaw, not graphical flaw.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By VoshiNova

The elder scrolls games are really good. Many people find them really good. I find them extremely entertaining.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@VoshiNova:

Great for you, then. I'm not dissing the people who DO like it. I just want to understand WHY.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By WickedCestus

I don't like them but I don't like fantasy so that's probably why.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Funkydupe

"The quality of gameplay is good, but not impeccable."

I'm not surprised. I've yet to experience an impeccable game.

Marbazoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Marbazoid

@OP: Your not alone in your confusion of the hype surrounding Bethesda's rpg's.

@project343: Umm, that statement requires some serious elaboration.

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AyKay_47

I'm going to assume you've never played a pen and paper RPG, or read a choose your own adventure book, or even read a regular book and thought "man, it'd be pretty fuckin cool to live in that world."

I'd say the crux of the matter is that last point. It's not about super engaging combat/gameplay mechanics, or top of the line graphics. It's about exploration, character development, and story. For the people looking for these things, Todd Howard and his team are top men. Every other thing that the modern video game industry would tell you is important (like online multiplayer, broken promises of technical superiority, and 5 hour campaigns) is beyond irrelevant.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@RobbleWobble: Still a part of the franchise though. The new faces are derpy too. The whole Oblivion experience to me felt mashed together, and not one part stood out to make it a good game, and from what I have seen of Skyrim, I think this is no exception.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They aren't for everyone. That's all I'm gonna say about it, there really is no way to sell anyone on those games. You either like them or you don't.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red

They are deeply flawed games, true, but there are shimmering moments of true greatness, unobtainable in other games, in the series.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    No Caption Provided
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mano521

For me, i love the elderscrolls for its huge replayability. there are a ton of ways to go about playing the game. and the fact that choices you make impact the world or at least impact the quest you do. and the fact that you can do almost whatever you want definitely doesnt hurt.

i dunno, its all about preference (obviously). i never liked RPGs that were too linear. i like being able to go dick around and do my own thing.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By DaemonBlack

I think to really enjoy an elder scrolls game you have to let yourself get lost in the world. There will always be games that have more precise combat, better graphics, or a more focused story . But I don't think any game have ever been able to create a world as immersive and alive as Bethesda has. Not even close.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Berserker976

@AyKay_47: Could not agree more, I think you just nailed the reason I love Elder Scrolls games. It's all about that sense of exploration and wonder; the curiosity that their worlds inspire is second to none.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I really like the fact that I can set out for one quest only 4 hours later I'm on the opposite side of the map searching around in some random ass cave.

You can just loose yourself in the environment and simply explore.

strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By strangone

@project343 said:

Now, compare Oblivion to ANY other current generation Western RPG (and hell, even JRPG). Oblivion will still stand as superior. Why is that?

Because current generation Western RPGs are pretty shitty.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By owl_of_minerva

@strangone said:

@project343 said:

Yeah, and Oblivion is amongst the bottom of the shit barrel. It's a veritable ocean of mediocre content with level scaling and poor "RPG"/hike sim mechanics.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Matfei90

@SpencerTucksen said:

You failed to mention at any point the sense of discovery, or exploration, or the satisfying lore that stands behind everything.

You're clearly not the target audience.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By vaiz

Oblivion scratches my 'discover shit and explore stuff' itch, just like Morrowind did, just like Fallout 3 did, just like Skyrim will. I just love wandering around and finding things, be it a new enemy, a new location, or some wicked ass weapon to kill a new enemy in a new location with.

Chalian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Chalian

here is My Personal (Negative) Opinion of u

um u are overrated u are cheap u get it

i love ES because i can do what ever the fuck i want in a setting i love BAM

That is why. ;) xoxo

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By selbie

Why do I love it so much? Because I have not experienced ANY of the problems you described, nor do I have some anal-retentive obsession for all new games to be visually amazing down to the last twig and stone. The Elder Scrolls games do what most others fear and that is provide an entertaining sandbox-style experience. It is by no means a true sandbox game like Shores of Hazeron or Minecraft, but it gives you a large amount of freedom to do what you want while also providing an engaging story and lore. IMO Oblivion was much more bland than the crazy world of Morrowind, but neither game stopped me from sinking 100+ hours into them. Skyrim is a day-one, week-long-marathon purchase for me.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I never understand questions like this about any game.

Want to know why people like a particular game? Read a bloody review, it'll sum up the high points for you. Whether you like it or not has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By project343

@SpencerTucksen said:

@project343: I personally found Demon's Souls to be better. Other than that, never been a ginormous RPG fan, overall.

I think you could make a compelling argument for Demon's/Dark Souls. And maybe the Mass Effect series. But the fact that finding comparably excellent RPGs released in the past 6 years is telling to both the quality of Oblivion and maybe the lack of solid role-playing games released this generation.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SlashDance

@project343 said:

@SpencerTucksen said:

I think you could make a compelling argument for Demon's/Dark Souls. And maybe the Mass Effect series. But the fact that finding comparably excellent RPGs released in the past 6 years is telling to both the quality of Oblivion and maybe the lack of solid role-playing games released this generation.

Plus the Souls games are Dungeon Crawlers and Mass Effect is a linear action-RPG. More direct comparisons would be games like Gothic 4 or Two Worlds, and those games were shit.

There's a laundry list of things that Elder Scrolls games could do better, that's obvious and nobody is denying that, but the fact is there's nothing else quite like it.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By galiant

@SpencerTucksen: I like building my own character and exploring. Soaking up the atmosphere. Interacting with people and discovering secrets. I'm more of a Fallout fan than an Elder Scrolls fan, but I'm thinking Skyrim will give me that fix I've been craving since Fallout: New Vegas. Which I'm still playing, by the way.

I couldn't care less about the combat. I always play these games on the easiest settings because I don't play them for a challenge, I play for the experience.

Hope that answers your question!

kingopork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kingopork

I enjoy them a lot more than the standard JRPG. I think my main reasoning is the freedom of choice. In a lot of RPGs they will stonewall you. Block off continents. Tell you you can't leave the Inn until we've talked to the inn keeper! In elder scrolls you don't even have to touch the main quest. You do what you want. There will be 150 dungeons in skyrim. That's me shitting my pants and being amazed and curious over and over. Do I want to join a faction? Some of them have stories as good if not better than the main storyline. It goes on and on.

I understand the sentiment about bugs and flaws. The games are such a large under taking, it's bound to happen. They are improving the games with every title they publish. A lot of people I know that don't enjoy the games is because they want to be railroaded. They want a very scripted linear experience. But if you want an RPG sandbox, I don't think anything else comes close.

Super_Yosh_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Super_Yosh_64

i like tes games and enjoy them however i wouldnt put them at the top

oblivion was big and grand but lets face it everything was the same

all the faces stemmed off of one face and it was very noticeable also there were like only 5 different voices and most of the random caves are the same

i think dragon age origins is wayyyy better and so is kotor and me

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @President_Barackbar said:

They aren't for everyone. That's all I'm gonna say about it, there really is no way to sell anyone on those games. You either like them or you don't.

That's not true. I used to loathe Oblivion. I came here for advice, and after a rather short thread discussing the game and a few people giving me advice, I jumped back in the game and played the way they instructed, 38 hours in, I'm fucking in love. 
    Their advice was not to focus on the main quest line, or the graphics, or the combat, but on the world and on my character. To just wander around the world taking random quests and getting involved in the citizens' lives and see where all of that leads me. My god, what an amazing, amazing video game.
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Guys, I don't like RPGs. Explain to me why I don't like this RPG.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By august

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Well... it's complicated.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@project343 said:

You're welcome to your opinion. As I am mine, and I personally thought that Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher, The Witcher 2, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls & heck even Fable II were better than Oblivion.

Oblivion had so much potential, but wasted it with repetitive quests and poor combat.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CaLe

I dunno how people find games with load screens 'immersive'. Oblivion also had way too much jank to feel like a cohesive experience and I hope Skyrim improves on this.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SomeJerk
    @SpencerTucksen said:

I want to be the one guy who agrees with you and I want to let you finish, but Morrowind is the greatest Elder Scrolls game of all time and the rest are hyped as shit. Morrowind even without any mods in it is still worthy of a play-through. Daggerfall is too old and busted. Oblivion is hyped to death and the people who spend thousands of hours in it scare me. FO3 FONV were more fun than Oblivion but Morrowind is just right. Always is. And I doubt Skyrim will be more Morrowind than Oblivion, as Todd Howard said.
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By soldierg654342

@President_Barackbar said:

Not necessarily. On the PC side, there have been mods that have fixed nearly every complaint I had with the game; unsatisfying magic, boring combat, a lack of and/or focus on realistically bouncing breasts...

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TonyBlue87

@Funkydupe said:

I'm not surprised. I've yet to experience an impeccable game.

I was once told by a professor that my ability to play the game he was featured in was impeccable.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By august

@CaLe said:

I dunno how people find games with load screens 'immersive'.

Yeah. And games with title screens and menus. And music, who is supposed to be playing that music?! I mean, you know?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@owl_of_minerva said:

@strangone said:

@project343 said:

Yeah, and Oblivion is amongst the bottom of the shit barrel. It's a veritable ocean of mediocre content with level scaling and poor "RPG"/hike sim mechanics.

I agree, Oblivion is not alright, it's really bad. I have a hard time thinking of positive things to say about it.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By mosdl

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

You don't like taking out tanks with rocket-propelled grenades?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CaLe
    @august said:

@CaLe said:

I dunno how people find games with load screens 'immersive'.

Yeah. And games with title screens and menus. And music, who is supposed to be playing that music?! I mean, you know?

Exactly, so people need to stop using this dumb word to describe games.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I respectfully disagree with you sir. Even though I'm not a big fan of fantasy games (I'll take post-apocalyptic or cyberpunk themed games over fantasy games any day of the week) i still think Oblivion is an excellent game. The biggest problems Oblivion has is the shitty level scaling system and the tedious main quest plot, but (like with most Bethesda games) I've found that secondary quests and faction quests are a lot more interesting and fun. Still, you can find many better RPG games, although i may be biased as i mentioned that I'm not a big fan of fantasy. Still Oblivion does a lot of stuff extremely well, it's open nature, the lore and universe built around Oblivion (and Elder Scrolls games), character progression, being able to do whatever the **** you want at any given moment, awesome spell casting system (probably the best I've come across). Oblivion's world and universe is easy to get lost in.
    There are better games out there, better RPG games, but that's more a matter of opinion and tastes, and that does not make Oblivion any less great.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#44  Edited By godzilla_sushi

How did you get a negative opinion of Skyrim when that game isn't going to be out for a while longer?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By project343

@Creamypies said:

You're welcome to your opinion. As I am mine, and I personally thought that Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher, The Witcher 2, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls & heck even Fable II were better than Oblivion.

Oblivion had so much potential, but wasted it with repetitive quests and poor combat.

This is truly a battle of opinions here. Because I think some of the strongest aspects of Oblivion are the combat and quest design. Aside from Bethesda's (and Obsidian's) Fallout games, I'd say Oblivion has some of the most enjoyable, well written, and varied quests in modern-day role-playing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm deeply in love with everything on your list (sans the Soul series), but most of the sidequests in Dragon Age series, Mass Effect series, Witcher series work out to be: walk into town and see quests, run around and collect quests, ignore whatever minuscule contextual story was shoe-horned into their design, run off and complete quests in the most efficient way possible... rinse and repeat.

In Oblivion, you explore towns, hear compelling rumors, ask people about it, and stumble into a typically bizarre problem. The problem is compelling enough to investigate. Eventually, you end up stumbling into a painter who's gotten himself stuck in a painted world, or you've found a secret cult society underneath a small town, or you end up in someone's twisted dreams to save them from an eternal sleep. When you finish these quests, you aren't given any additional reward or experience--maybe an item of potential value, but nothing entirely enticing--but opportunity to delve into a bizarre adventure was all the reward you would want.

And the combat is probably something I couldn't argue against. I think most people have a problem with Oblivion's lack of visceral melee combat. I typically play a Mage or Ranger, which both feel completely fantastic in first person. I think I enjoy the game's combat system more than Fallout 3/New Vegas's for the random-ass tools that Oblivion hands you. You could drink a potion that makes you run insanely fast with nightvision... then go into a castle and have a riot. Or you could make a spell that frenzies the city guard into attacking random civilians, steal their keys, and loot their houses (legally). I think Oblivion is one of the strongest sandboxes for random-ass-RPG-antics ever. And maybe that's why I love it so much. But it's a love that is entirely dependent on the individual. If you're a main-quest-focused Warrior-type with zero creativity... you'll probably hate the game. And I completely accept that.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Arker101

I hated Oblivion with a passion. I thought since it was made by the same Dev who brought us Fallout 3, that it had to be good. I couldn't stand the world or RPG elements in it, but for some reason, everything that has been released about Skyrim has made me hyped and more accepting of that game.

Explain that one.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jetsetwillie

@SpencerTucksen said:

@VoshiNova:

Great for you, then. I'm not dissing the people who DO like it. I just want to understand WHY.

why do some people like chicken and some people not like chicken. its just different tastes dude, thats all.

if i was you i just wouldn't play them any more and move on.

why do you care why other people like them

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SmilingPig

I respect your opinion, for my part I think that all first and third person shooters are made for retards, I think that sports games are for obese people and I am convinced that Japan is a fictional land and dose not actually exist.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bearshamanbro

I thought Oblivion had some really cool aspects. Just the scope of the world and all the things to do were incredible IMO. However, I thought the melee combat was bad, loading screens were lengthy (PS3), and I'm not sure the chosen level scaling system worked great. Overall though, the experience was something that I don't get from any other games. I've skipped the Fallout games so I'm excited to jump into Skyrim and hopefully it'll be a big jump up from my experience with Oblivion.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By veektarius

@SlashDance

@project343 said:

@SpencerTucksen said:

Plus the Souls games are Dungeon Crawlers and Mass Effect is a linear action-RPG. More direct comparisons would be games like Gothic 4 or Two Worlds, and those games were shit.

There's a laundry list of things that Elder Scrolls games could do better, that's obvious and nobody is denying that, but the fact is there's nothing else quite like it.

Oblivion makes a good world. Find an open world game with better and more varied environments. Now find one that satisfies loot lust. Now find one that lets you play the game in the way of your choosing. All of these things are necessary for a game to be superior to Elder Scrolls games in ways that will cause people to stop playing them. It's one of those tasks that requires resources beyond what most companies are willing to throw at a new license.

It's a little like the Total War games (at least before Shogun). The only reason people put up with all the shitty design was that it had no direct competition and yet fills a niche that is very satisfying for some people. I'm not an Elder Scrolls 'fan', per se... but I definitely got my money's worth out of both Oblivion & Morrowind before I got tired of their shit and decided that maybe they weren't good enough. I'll play Skyrim expecting at least as much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.