Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

New "Favorite" Glitch

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hatking

Yes, those are sarcastic quotes. I know Skyrim, and really Bethesda in general, is notorious for letting game-breaking, fun-stopping, totally-fucked glitches slip through, though I'm usually willing to look the other way because their games are so huge and really nobody else really matches them on the size and 'deepness' of game.

Anyway, I've come across something new, and totally and utterly fucked: I can't start a new game in Skyrim. Whenever I start a new game, I get through the opening dialogue, the character creation, and right up to the execution. When big mean dragon is supposed to attack to interrupt my execution, he instead decides to lolly about above the city. Nobody really seems to mind, and the executioner just blankly stares at me. I've let it sit there for several minutes, and I've reloaded and tried several times - let me tell you how fun it is to recreate a character over and over again.

I guess I'm just glad I have a current character that I'm pretty happy with and I was really only trying to start a new game to experiment with some stuff I hadn't really used yet. As for anybody else, or, at least my friends who might want to give the game a run on my Xbox, well, I guess you're shit out of luck.

I Googled this and saw some others reporting the problem. Anyone from this community dealt with this?

EDIT: Found a fix, I think. I just loaded a new game up from the main menu rather than from within an already existing game. A very odd glitch, but at least it's an easy fix.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I had that happen to me as well. I cleared the cache and it worked. Some are saying it doesn't, however.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hatking

@MariachiMacabre: I'm a little worried to try anything too crazy because I feel like this game is a bit fragile. While clearing my cache might fix this issue it might cause another with my main. Haha... I fucking love this game, but I sure do wish they could make it more stable. I guess that's what I want out of the next generation of Bethesda games more than anything else - stability.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @HatKing

@MariachiMacabre: I'm a little worried to try anything too crazy because I feel like this game is a bit fragile. While clearing my cache might fix this issue it might cause another with my main. Haha... I fucking love this game, but I sure do wish they could make it more stable. I guess that's what I want out of the next generation of Bethesda games more than anything else - stability.

Clearing the cache on your HDD shouldn't do anything to the game. The most it's ever done is remove updates.
    Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zella

if you're playing on PC you could just download an alternate start mod and avoid the whole beginning section

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I had the same problem recently as well.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hatking

@MariachiMacabre: @ShadowConqueror: I feel like an idiot now, but I found a really easy fix. I started a new game from the main menu, instead of loading it up from within my current game. Worked on the first try. I mean, it's still weird, and kind of defeats the purpose of having that autosave before character creation, but at least it worked.

@Zella: Believe me, if I had a PC that could run this game, I'd be there. Sadly, I'm a poor college student and I'm stuck with a half-decade-old laptop. Maybe one of these days I'll invest in a nice PC and see what I've been missing for the past few years. hah

ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShadowConqueror

@HatKing: Yeah, I figured that might be the problem, just after trying to make a character a couple times and having it fail, I had lost my will to exit out to the main menu and try again. Glad to hear that works, though.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hatking

@ShadowConqueror said:

@HatKing: Yeah, I figured that might be the problem, just after trying to make a character a couple times and having it fail, I had lost my will to exit out to the main menu and try again. Glad to hear that works, though.

The more I think about it the more insane it is. How does this get through testing? Nobody actually tried loading up a new game before the game shipped?? So, so weird. And, like I said, it completely defeats the purpose of the save they automatically generate right before character creation.

ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShadowConqueror

@HatKing: I think it's a fairly new bug, because I've used that same save to make several characters before without any issues. It was only recently that it stopped working, or at least after the first month or two of release.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PeasantAbuse

This happened to me and my friend. By "starting a new game" are you just loading the save the game made at character creation? That's what we were doing, but after we deleted that and started fresh it worked fine.

edit: Oops, just noticed your edit.

ihateyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ihateyou

Gadzooks!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

-Blacksmiths smashing steel without a hammer.

-Children increasing in size as they sit down, grind blades, and create blades

-Water flowing in opposite directions.

Avatar image for spartan_assassin
    Spartan_Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spartan_Assassin

Glad I got it for Xbox, everything is so much glitchier on PS3

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

Not really a glitch, but if you open up the console on the PC version, you can kill the horses pulling the wagon during the intro and you go rocketing down the mountainside.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wjb

I just finished Dawnguard, and there was a point where I had to use a previous save because the recent one would not load -- it would just stay in the loading screen. Not the end of the world, but yeah. Maybe it was in my head, but it felt like Dawnguard would freeze more frequently.

The one bug that freaks me out is the Louis Letrush clones outside Whiterun, and one of them is stuck in the ground. It doesn't help that he's one of the ugliest character in the game. Other than that, that "Ariel's Endeavor" quest is still broken.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Akyho

Just be thankfull nothing like this happened.

Yeah clearing you HDD Cache wont do anything to the game. Only thing it will do is cause all your games to need to re-download updates. Thats all. Not a bad trade off i would say.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.