Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim can't possibly be a GOTY contender. Right guys? Right??

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By thebazel

I make this topic after seeing comments that in a recent episode of Bonus Round Jeff chose this as his GOTY. How can Skyrim even be a contender? Full disclaimer - I recently made a thread on these boards about how little attention the PS3 version of Skyrim was getting. Looks like that news has finally gotten out. Also if you have not seen Digitial Foundry's analysis on the PS3 version AFTER the patch, here ya go - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag

Listen, I get it, Skyrim is an ambitious and unique game (kind of..). It fills a void that many gamers want. I have no problem with that. But this game is a broken, buggy, practically beta version mess of a game not only on the PS3 but on all platforms. Even if you're one of those "I play it on PC and it's effing great, no issues here" people, there's someone else on another platform saying the complete opposite. Simply saying "that's a Bethesda/Obsidian game" doesn't absolve it from failing to be a product worth its $60 price tag. I'd rather buy Puppiez and Catz 2: Attack of the Furries for Kinect for $60 than Skyrim if I know that the first game is actually going to work out of the box while the second one might break on me 5, 10, or 50 hours in. And even if you do forgive the game's problems because of who made it, you can't seriously have it be a game of the year contender when games like Batman, Uncharted, and Saints Row have absolutely zero issues running on the platforms they were made for. Skyrim shows the inability of its programmers to fully master their art and produce a quality product. Even if it is fun, it can't in good faith be rewarded, can it?

So I ask you (and if the GB crew actually reads these forums it'd be great to hear from them) - how can a game that simply doesn't work be a goty contender?

Also, remember, Ryan Davis specifically disregarded Bayonetta for GOTY 2 years ago because of the faulty PS3 version.

edit: Again, I'm asking if the game qualifies to be a goty contender. Can its technical flaws be completely overlooked just because its content is good? I'm not taking anything away from Skyrim. It's a great game. Stop thinking I'm here to hate on Skyrim. I'm asking if a gaming website/magazine should not hold the goty to a higher standard than simply "hey, this is our favorite game".

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By LiquidSwords

>2011

>Caring about GOTY

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

It works. 360 version is fine and I do think its a good runner for the title. And not everyone is having the PS3 issues. Its a Bethesda game. They make GREAT games. But these games also have lots of issues. And in these cases the GREAT part of the games out weigh the issues.  

And just because one system does not work. Thats not gonna smack it out of the running. You can not say " well its a great game but doesnt work on PS3. No GOTY" 

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

The vast majority of people have experienced only a few minor issues, otherwise we would hear more about this. Oh and it will win GOTY, sorry.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Lunar_Aura

This is why Skyrim should have updated scores before and after the patch. It's not fair to the Metacritic and the people who rely on it to validate their purchase.

Suedehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Suedehead

What other game would by GOTY. I mean this hasn't exactly been a fantastic year for games. Other frontrunners, Batman and Uncharted 3, really went over as underwhelming.

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Slab64

@thebazel said:

Uncharted, and Saints Row have absolutely zero issues

Erroneous! Erroneous on both counts!

EDIT: Actually I can call bullshit on the Batman example as well, because the PC version has hell of DRMs and something about DX11

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By artofwar420

By golly. How dare they voice their opinions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry PS3 players are getting the shaft, but the shitty PS3 version has ZERO affect on the other two versions, which are amazing and totally deserving of GOTY.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I agree, but not for the same reasons. I think the game is great, but not the greatest of the year.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FunExplosions

I agree that we should not encourage developers to put out broken shit, but when their shit's brokenness is undermined by its awesomeness, sometimes awesomeness still overtakes the brokenness. I think Freud said that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SirPsychoSexy said:

The vast majority of people have experienced only a few minor issues, otherwise we would hear more about this. Oh and it will win GOTY, sorry.

You should check out GAF.

LOTS of people whining about the PS3 version there.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dallas_Raines

360 version was fairly rocksolid in my experience, but that doesn't matter because GOTY isn't a review.

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Dawglet

The PS3 version is getting little attention because nobody gives a shit about the PS3 version.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters is right up there, but Skyrim takes it for me. I'm having a blast playing the Xbox 360 version.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I own the 360 version, and Skyrim is absolutely my game of the year. It may not work well on the PS3, but it's one of the best experiences I've had on 360, better than Arkham City and Uncharted 3 imo. Besides, when you're looking at a GotY contender, you have to look at design quality and creative vision as well, and I think Skyrim trumps the competition in these areas. I'd be singing a different tune if I was playing on PS3 I'm sure, but it's a very high quality game on the other two platforms

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Doctorchimp

@thebazel: So even though the game I'm playing on the PC is a goddamn dream and the best sandbox and most realized videogame world I've ever played in...

I can't pick it for GotY because your console of choice is a fucked up mess? Nah son, it doesn't work that way...

@InfiniteGeass: You agree..but you don't actually care if someone does pick it right? You just like another game more?

McFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McFly

Game worked fine for me with just a couple of lockups in over 110 hours of gameplay. Based on that experience, HELL YEAH this is my GOTY!

It's too bad you didn't have the same experience but that doesn't stop others from having a great time with it and picking it as their favorite of the year. If this stuff bothers you, then you should probably stop visiting all gaming websites for the next month or so because Skyrim is going to win most publication's GOTY this year.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By InfiniteGeass

@Doctorchimp: I don't care at all what other people pick. It's your own opinion what GotY is.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By galiant

@thebazel: What does it matter what other people pick as their game of the year? Do you enjoy your favorite game less if someone doesn't share your opinion on it? Skyrim is my personal game of the year this year and nothing you or anyone else says would diminish that feeling or the joy I still feel while playing that game.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By CJduke

I have not had a single problem with the game at all. I have not encountered any bug that has ruined the experience for me in anyway or broken the game at all. The game is amazing, looks awesome (especially with mods) and feels like an epic adventure. So yes, I think its a GOTY contender

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Doctorchimp

@InfiniteGeass said:

@Doctorchimp: I don't care at all what other people pick. It's your own opinion what GotY is.

Okay, yeah. Just making sure the TC is the only looney here.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Yanngc33

@thebazel: I 100% agree with you. Everyone is wowed (including me) by the size and scope of the game. It's extremely ambitious but fails to deliver interesting gameplay and great visuals. The fact that they got rid of the class system is genius but combat is uninteresting (I'm going to press one button to swing sword) and sometimes cheap (like in most Bethesda games, certain enemies you encounter will slaughter you in two hits and the only way to defeat them is by exploiting glitches). The visuals are epic from far away but up close, they're damn ugly (especially the snow, which looks down right pathetic compared to Uncharted 3). Also, I hate how it takes itself so seriously but that's just me.

@The_Laughing_Man: GOTY would concern all 3 platforms. They will take into consideration that the PS3 version is busted, that the 360 version makes you choose between load times or textures and that the PC version died as of the last update.

@Suedehead said:

What other game would by GOTY. I mean this hasn't exactly been a fantastic year for games. Other frontrunners, Batman and Uncharted 3, really went over as underwhelming.

Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, Dead Space 2 and L.A. Noire to name a few

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By big_jon

Dead Space 2 sure can.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vodun

@thebazel said:

Batman, Uncharted, and Saints Row have absolutely zero issues running on the platforms they were made for.

Ah ok, so when the game works for you it's fine...but otherwise it's a terrible buggy mess?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BisonHero

@thebazel: The PS3 version of the Orange Box had numerous issues. Who cares? The fact that one platform's version is a little buggier doesn't matter. It's still a great game.

The PS3 version of Skyrim has issues. Who cares? The fact that one platform's version is a little buggier doesn't matter. It's still a great game.

If you think any game reviewers are going to disqualify considering Skyrim for end of the year awards because it still has some bugs, then you're clueless. Maybe the people over on the forums for Playstation Official Magazine or something would be more receptive to your contempt for Skyrim.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cornman89

Prepare to be angry on the internet come new years, pal. Skyrim's gonna take it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By NekuSakuraba

A lot of people are having no issues with Skyrim.

However, I am playing the PC version and have had to face issues like pop in and frame rate drops I shouldn't be getting. Does that mean it isn't a runner for my GOTY? Of course not! As someone who has had various technical issues with Skyrim I can say that the game is amazing and playable and is definitely a contender for GOTY.

Every game can be GOTY according to someone, meaning EVERY game is a GOTY contender...

Someones top 5 could be -

1. Duke Nukem Forever

2. Mindjack

3. Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops

4. Motionsports Adrenaline

5. Wipeout: In the Zone

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Turambar

@Suedehead said:

Dark Souls and Witcher 2 says hello.

GOTY really only has two requirements: is the title holder the game you enjoyed the most this year, and can you justify your opinion with a sound argument? If the answer is yes on both counts, any game can be your own GOTY.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thebazel

I'm not trying to dismiss you guys' feelings or experiences about the game. I'm asking if gaming journalists shouldn't hold the game (and its designers) responsible for not releasing a quality product. I'm glad you all love it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@SirPsychoSexy said:

All of this. Skyrim has pretty much become the center of attention for the video game community, and for good reason.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ftomato

I'm playing Skyrim on my PS3 (and the frame rate is a mess) and it's my GOTY so far. Skyrim may be buggy, but the experience is still amazing.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Turambar said:

@Suedehead said:

Dark Souls and Witcher 2 says hello.

Saints Row, Skyward Sword, Portal 2, Rayman: Origins, Little Big Planet 2, Dead Space 2, Deus Ex, Battlefield 3, LA Noire, Assassins Creed: Revelations, Super Mario 3D Land, Bastion, Mortal Kombat, Alice: Madness Returns, etc.

Not sure if you are referring to the crews picks but those are just some of the great games that have come out this year.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@NekuSakuraba said:

However, I am playing the PC version and have had to face issues like pop in and frame rate drops I shouldn't be getting. Does that mean it isn't a runner for my GOTY? Of course not! As someone who has had various technical issues with Skyrim I can say that the game is amazing and playable and is definitely a contender for GOTY.

Every game can be GOTY according to someone, meaning EVERY game is a GOTY contender...

1. Duke Nukem Forever

2. Mindjack

Who is it? Let's beat this asshole up. It's his fault these games exist.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Hizang

Although there has been a bunch of bugs and crap, the game is good enough to ignore all of it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@MariachiMacabre said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

1. Duke Nukem Forever

2. Mindjack

Who is it? Let's beat this asshole up. It's his fault these games exist.

YOU.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Hailinel

@Dawglet said:

The PS3 version is getting little attention because nobody gives a shit about the PS3 version.

Especially not Bethesda.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BionicMonster

Oblivion won over 40 GOTY awards.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39  Edited By recroulette

I play on PS3, and if it wasn't for Saints Row 3, Skyrim would be a lock for me. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Doctorchimp

@thebazel said:

I'm not trying to dismiss you guys' feelings or experiences about the game. I'm asking if gaming journalists shouldn't hold the game (and its designers) responsible for not releasing a quality product. I'm glad you all love it.

But how fucking genuine can we hold these journalists if they didn't pick the one game they had the most with all year?

Game of the Year on Giantbomb isn't about science, it's about those dudes picking the one game they liked the most...

Yo dawg I don't think they played the PS3 version...
    Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Time_Lord

It lacks polish and and the bug testing to be game of the year but then again what eslse came out this year

Tekushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Tekushi

This game is massive. I've clocked in maybe 35hrs so far and I've only been exploring. I have a HUGE list of quests to tackle and everytime I defeat a dragon or wander into some area and get obliterated by some powerful monster I get motivated to keep on going. The strategy guide is ridiculously gigantic at some 600 pages and for my in particular the stunning soundtrack and shear size of the world with it's weather effects are the winover for me. I still haven't explored the whole world and i'm almost at 40hrs into the game!!!

No other game so far this year has taken this long to get so much out of without drying out on it's highlights.

I think this one will win. Most def.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By TwoLines

So you bought the PS3 version and got screwed over, and you're now super butthurt. Aaaand you're trying to talk people into dismissing Skyrim because of that.

A) Good luck with that. You're gonna need it!

B) That's childish.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Three0neFive
    @LiquidSwords said:

>2011

>Caring about GOTY

I agree with your sentiment, but keep this shit where it belongs.
    thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By thebazel

And yeah..if you want to know my personal it's Dark Souls. I know for sure that ain't gonna get picked by a lot of gaming journalists.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I've barely run into and bugs at all. Can I call it my GOTY or is it still not allowed?

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By crazyleaves

PS3 version here and it is GOTY in my book but I'm, drunk and who's counting? Oh, don't worry PC elites I know I suck and blow goats, it's okay!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By McGhee

At this point with the PS3 I'm starting to agree with you.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By wickedsc3

Of course it can be a GOTY contender. There is nothing that says a game has to work great on all systems to win goty or even get a good review score. When Jeff and them review games they don't play all the versions, so why would all the versions matter with goty. If they played it on Xbox or PC it is a GOTY contender.

Im 88 hours in and only had 1 lock up on 360. No backward flying dragons or texture problems(because i didnt install it). Also, only one broken quest but its not really broken just when I finished it, it didn't clear to my completed quests.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thebazel

@PeasantAbuse said:

I've barely run into and bugs at all. Can I call it my GOTY or is it still not allowed?

Sorry, it is not allowed. =(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.