Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim PS3 Fixes Coming Eventually, Bethesda Offers Pro-Tips

• 191 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Both console versions of Skyrim have enough issues that it may be worth waiting a bit more.
    Both console versions of Skyrim have enough issues that it may be worth waiting a bit more.

Bethesda Game Studios releases are certainly prone to weird issues, but the PlayStation 3 versions especially so. Users have reported serious performance issues with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim when playing for many hours at a time, prompting a response from the company.

Bethesda has started to acknowledge these PS3-specific reports are a problem, promising specific fixes in a patch coming after version 1.3, which is expected later this week.

“We’ve been reaching out to a number of those users to collect save games, so we can take a look at their specific issues,” said the company on its blog. “Right now we know it’s not one thing, but a combination of smaller ones that some folks are seeing, but others are not.”

Version 1.3 comes after version 1.2, which fixed some things and broke others, ala backwards dragons. It's up for PC now.

Knowing things will change eventually doesn’t really help PS3 owners right now, but the company did offer some temporary solutions that could alleviate the pain on its message boards, which I’ll quote in full below:

• "Turn off auto saves. This can cause temporary stuttering since the PS3 saves these files in the background. This is most noticeable with large saves when fast traveling to a new area or entering a new area that auto saves.
    • Clear space on your hard drive. Skyrim makes heavy use of the hard drive, and freeing up space on here seems to help many people. Hard drive speeds also differ in PS3 models. Some users have reported increase performance by upgrading their drives.
    • Waiting for time to pass. Many things are running in the world depending on what quests you've done or places you have visited. Using Wait or Rest options, passing time will clear up some of these. It depends how long you wait, it may take up to 30 days for some items. Saving, resetting, and loading after this will have the largest effect."

The nature of the problems facing Skyrim on PS3 are understandably upsetting to users. Please report anything you’re running into within the comments, as I’ll be playing close attention.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Bethesda Game Studios releases are certainly prone to weird issues, but the PlayStation 3 versions especially so. Users have reported serious performance issues with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim when playing for many hours at a time, prompting a response from the company.

Bethesda has started to acknowledge these PS3-specific reports are a problem, promising specific fixes in a patch coming after version 1.3, which is expected later this week.

“We’ve been reaching out to a number of those users to collect save games, so we can take a look at their specific issues,” said the company on its blog. “Right now we know it’s not one thing, but a combination of smaller ones that some folks are seeing, but others are not.”

Version 1.3 comes after version 1.2, which fixed some things and broke others, ala backwards dragons. It's up for PC now.

Knowing things will change eventually doesn’t really help PS3 owners right now, but the company did offer some temporary solutions that could alleviate the pain on its message boards, which I’ll quote in full below:

• "Turn off auto saves. This can cause temporary stuttering since the PS3 saves these files in the background. This is most noticeable with large saves when fast traveling to a new area or entering a new area that auto saves.
    • Clear space on your hard drive. Skyrim makes heavy use of the hard drive, and freeing up space on here seems to help many people. Hard drive speeds also differ in PS3 models. Some users have reported increase performance by upgrading their drives.
    • Waiting for time to pass. Many things are running in the world depending on what quests you've done or places you have visited. Using Wait or Rest options, passing time will clear up some of these. It depends how long you wait, it may take up to 30 days for some items. Saving, resetting, and loading after this will have the largest effect."

The nature of the problems facing Skyrim on PS3 are understandably upsetting to users. Please report anything you’re running into within the comments, as I’ll be playing close attention.

Rincewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rincewind

I already have this, delicious. FUS RO DAH.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay fixes! Thankfully I havent seen many glitches on the 360 version. I feel for the PS3 owners out there though.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn
    @Rincewind

asdasdas

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By xymox

Awesome. I hope they keep it updated and give it a lot of lovin' 'cause it sure does deserve it.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By rjayb89

FUUUUCKKKK YEAHHHHHHH. BUT I WANT TO PLAY GHOST TRICK, SKYRIM, PLEASE HURRY UP AND FINISH THYSELF.

whylessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By whylessness

Dragon Priest masks still make my face disappear. At least my elemental resistances are back.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

Are the backwards dragons gone?

whylessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By whylessness

@Video_Game_King:

"Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading"

hope so

Rincewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rincewind

@Mikemcn: Slander and lies.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By zombie2011

Wait 30 days in game, for some reason i found that funny.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

@whylessness:

Why would you hope for that? Drunk dragons are awesome.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

At least Bethesda is trying to appear like they know what they're doing and are trying to fix this stuff. Let's hope they can and do.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By vaportra1l

Cool, now I'll play more skyrim on the PC now that 1.3 is out.

duggshammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By duggshammer

I was once a great game, like you... then I took an arrow in the knee.

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By David

@rjayb89: Ghost Trick was one of the best games this year if you ask me.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Thor_Molecules

I do hope you bring up these game-breaking bugs in the eventual GOTY-deliberations, Patrick. You have done excellent work reporting on them so far.

Many, many PS3 versions of Skyrim are rendered 100% unplayable by this bug, through no fault of the players.

I mean, Skyrim is a decent game by all accounts, but Bethesda doesn't deserve a free pass on this one just because everyone at GB played it relatively bug-free on Xbox 360 and PC. Bethesda probably had to cut some corners to meet the 11-11-11 deadline, and it just so happened that PS3 owners got completely shafted in the process. They should be held somewhat accountable.

GUTBOMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GUTBOMB

I feel like someone has stolen my sweet roll.

Neon_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Neon_Knight

Pro-tips from Bethesda, "We make good games but we do it very poorly. We put it out on platforms we aren't prepared to develop for properly, do not buy our games again."

Good advice, will do.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spoonman671

This game's going to be awesome!  They built a new engine so this is going to be the most polished Bethesda game ever.  Can't wait to play an Elder Scrolls game without any glitches,

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#22  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@zombie2011 said:

Wait 30 days in game, for some reason i found that funny.

I wouldn't recommend doing that in a dungeon you've cleared. 30 in-game days is the time it takes between area resets, when any non-boss enemies and non-quest-specific items will respawn.

In cities it works fine though, except if you're one of those who keep storing stuff in barrels and chests in random houses or guilds, as any container that is not in one of the owned houses are reset as well, and owned houses only include those you've paid for, no guild houses (i.e. something like the arch-mage quarters are not safe places to store your things in).

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sfighter21
    Nevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nevi

I ended up starting a second character to do the thief guild quests and s-rank the game. Really hope they fix it so I can do the thief quests on my 200 hour character with the next patch.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#25  Edited By MeatSim

Playing 1.2 on 360 and no magic resistance or backwards dragon problems. Besides occasional lockups I haven't really run into any glitches.

Diarmuid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diarmuid

The last time I used the wait or rest options Skyrim somehow managed to fuck my PS3's hard drive. Good advice, Bethesda.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Humanity

I thought there might be some Pro-Apologies somewhere too.

andyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By andyboy

Please report anything you’re running into within the comments, as I’ll be playing close attention.

Was that misspelling intentional or did your finger hit the "L" key by accident?

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ptys

Ah cool! Definitley getting the frame rate thing so will turn off auto-saves till the update. I actually think Bethesda's response has been pretty good considering how epic the game is, looking forward to the patch next week!

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By Yanngc33

How can a game that's busted on the PS3, has issues on the 360 and has technical glitches caused by updates be a GOTY contender?

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By galiant

Not a lot of issues, just the weapon racks I can't seem to use. Looking forward to the patch, though. I really hope they fix those racks.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox

"The platform I play on needs the most attention!"

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Diarmuid said:

The last time I used the wait or rest options Skyrim somehow managed to fuck my PS3's hard drive. Good advice, Bethesda.

That's the reason I stopped playing recently.  The game froze up on me twice in one night, and when restarting my PS3 it had to check the HDD for corrupted files.  I don't know how this game got released.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By napalm
    @Yanngc33 said:

How can a game that's busted on the PS3, has issues on the 360 and has technical glitches caused by updates be a GOTY contender?

It's a raw deal, indeed.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Gabriel

@Yanngc33 said:

Probably because it feels like it was a weaker year for videogames.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Crixaliz

My character got hit with a couple of arrows and the one that went right through is his head isn't fading away.

Switched the console on/off, tried using different helmets, fast travel and sleeping but it refuses to go away!

BlackHawk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By BlackHawk53

I'm playing on the PS3 and have experienced the performance issues. It starts to happen after about 2.5 hours of continuous play. Also after the patch I can't access the bookshelves at my house in Whiterun.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SomeJerk

"but still not available on Xbox 360 or Playstation 3"

That line sounds negative in my ears. Could be rephrased better since the facts are:

Microsoft 1) wants to check out the patch data
    2) you can only drop X amount of patches in a year
    and 3) the patch needs to be a certain size or it'll be DLC (4 megabytes or less? Really?) 

Sony 1) just wants to make sure the shit runs

Bethesda 1) are actually working to take care of things, even the PS3 version being a mess
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Spoonman671
    @BlackHawk53 said:

I'm playing on the PS3 and have experienced the performance issues. It starts to happen after about 2.5 hours of continuous play. Also after the patch I can't access the bookshelves at my house in Whiterun.

Yeah, my bookshelves are broke too.
    Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Crixaliz: type "sexchange" into the console twice so you return to your original sex and the arrow disappears. Just remember to restart your game if you want your achievements.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By falling_fast

"Version 1.3 comes after version 1.2"

whoa whoa whoa, what

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kyrieee

@SomeJerk said:

"but still not available on Xbox 360 or Playstation 3"

That line sounds negative in my ears. Could be rephrased better since the facts are: Microsoft 1) wants to check out the patch data 2) you can only drop X amount of patches in a year and 3) the patch needs to be a certain size or it'll be DLC (4 megabytes or less? Really?) Sony 1) just wants to make sure the shit runs Bethesda 1) are actually working to take care of things, even the PS3 version being a mess

Seeing as the last patch introduced more problems than it fixed I don't think MS signing off on patches helps much.

Avatar image for steelknight2000
    steelknight2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43  Edited By steelknight2000

@Crixaliz said:

My character got hit with a couple of arrows and the one that went right through is his head isn't fading away.

Switched the console on/off, tried using different helmets, fast travel and sleeping but it refuses to go away!

Some arrows you get hit with are added to your inventory. Have you tried dropping it?

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zelyre

@Buckfitches said:

PS3 owners got completely shafted in the process. They should be held somewhat accountable.

Well, by this logic, Batman is no longer a contender for GOTY since it doesn't work on the PC.

Which means Saint's Row 3 wins and... I'm cool with that.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#46  Edited By Little_Socrates

1.3 fixes the spell resistance stuff from 1.2, right?

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thebazel
    PrixDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PrixDante

When I cast my conjuration storm thrall, I only get the potent version. I'm @ 100 in conjuration.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49  Edited By Yanngc33

@Gabriel said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Probably because it feels like it was a weaker year for videogames.

How about Portal 2? That game is perfect!

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#50  Edited By Undeadpool

@damnable_fiend said:

"Version 1.3 comes after version 1.2"

whoa whoa whoa, what

Glad I'm not the only one who chuckled at that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.