Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

So I'm making the switch...

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By yevinorion

I originally bought Skyrim for PS3, but now I'm switching to the 360 version.

My original purchase was based on the fact that I'm on my third 360 and I've gotten into the habit of just buying most of my games for PS3 without even thinking about it because I've had two 360s die on me. I had questions and second thoughts after I first bought it based on the track record of games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas on PS3 (Oblivion was the exception rather than the rule due to them having released it a year later on PS3), but after having some folks tell me things were going well for them with the game I felt a bit more assured in my decision. Then there were all the comparison videos and write-ups that had a few varied opinions, but almost all of them ended up with a pecking order of graphics + performance going in a descending order of PC -> 360 -> PS3. Now there's issues with saves becoming bloated and ruining game performance (unable to interact with vendors, quests won't register as complete, framerate drops, laggy menus, etc).

Now don't get me wrong, I know this stuff will be patched out eventually. Basically though I just feel like even without that last issue the 360 version seems to be the better quality version of the two consoles. As I've also got a very good friend who's never played an Elder Scrolls game and only has a PS3, I've kinda looked at this like an opportunity to get him into it as I could sell him the game at a discounted price (thank goodness no "online pass" in this game). Sure he'll have the same issues for now, but he only has the one console so it's not like he has options.

Ultimately I just feel like I rushed into buying this game on PS3 based on my previous fear of my 360 dying and the fact that it had caused me to purchase almost all games on PS3 without giving it the proper thought and research. Now I have a 360 S so I really shouldn't have to worry about the console dying anymore, so for all those reasons, I'm going to make the switch.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jimmi

I'm playing on PS3 and my save is well and bloated (over 7 megs) but I've still yet to have any kind of game breaking bug, or any bugs at all. I guess I got lucky.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jrinswand

Man, I really hope that doesn't happen to me. I'm already at least 24 hours in, being around level 18-19. I have only noticed a few isolated lag issues here and there, but definitely not anything game-breaking and not often enough for it to really get on my nerves. I'm not sure about the size of my save file, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for it from now on. I've got all three systems (PS3, 360, and PC), but I got it for the PS3 because I just bought the PS3 as a replacement and I wanted to make sure I got my money out of the purchase. I hope I didn't make the wrong decision.

Edit: Also, OP, if I were you I'd change the title of the thread to be a little bit more explicit. I don't know, maybe something like "PS3 Save File Issues." I don't want to tell you what to do, but I think it'd be a good way to bring attention to an important issue.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By yevinorion

@Jrinswand: That's a good idea, I'm not sure how to edit the title though as when I hit Edit it just allows me to edit the post.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Joeyoe31

I'm the same way. Bought it because I don't trust my 360 for crap. Also my subscription to XBL ran out last month and it kind of feels like an incomplete console without it. But whatever.

I can't check my file size right now but I'm about 22 hours in at level 25 and I've yet to run into problems. Maybe I'll start running into problems later but who knows.

If it does start, I'll "make the switch" to the PC version.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By TheHBK

Buy for the 360 instead of PS3 for the controls. FPS and first person in general fucking sucks on the PS3. The wannabe triggers and rounded off sticks suck ass. I wish someone would make a 360 style controller for the PS3. Uncharted 2/3 could be a little better with the 360 controller. Though the climbing parts feel good, I like the PS3 buttons.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yevinorion

@TheHBK: Generally I prefer the PS3 controller, but for shooters I do prefer the 360 controller. The button mapping to PS3 was ok for this game though, instead of triggers for your attacks they used the R1/L1 buttons so the squishy marshmallow buttons were used for sprint and shouts/powers. It worked pretty well in my opinion, but I can't say I'll be sad to switch to the 360 controller in a game like this.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By McShank

@yevinorion: As i have said many times before. 360 still has texture issues. Why play a game for a console when the graphics are Shit? Also, 360 is not better in graphics and performance then ps3, they are equal except that I trust sony more then microsoft seeing as the 360x is what? The 5th generation? Why does it take that many models to get wifi built in and fix a Console breaking issue (RROD) And still not have Blueray? And if you have the pc, get it for that. You dont need a monster pc to run the game.

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By left4doof

@mcshank you mean blu ray

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Game has been out for less than a week, the save issue is obviously something they'll fix, probably in the first post-launch patch. To each his own tho I guess.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Joeyoe31

@Krakn3Dfx said:

Game has been out for less than a week, the save issue is obviously something they'll fix, probably in the first post-launch patch. To each his own tho I guess.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas had this same problem, and to this day it has never been fixed.

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hemmelight

I just bought this on Steam last night because I am sick of the performance issues on PS3. I can't even walk around in the world or ride a horse at above 20 fps it feels like.

edit: I guess I should mention that my save file hasn't hit the 'lag ceiling' that seems to be around 6mb. My save file is only 4.6mb or so. It's not lagging as bad as some of those videos on Youtube, but I have a 1 year old slim PS3 and I'm still getting issues.

Not lag for interactions or quests, but input lag on buttons (choosing dialog choices I have to press twice or really hard for it to register) and melee combat is really loose and unresponsive. It's gotten worse the more I play, though.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikey87144

All you have to do is save, quit, then start again and you'll be fine. All platforms have issues so it's not like you're going from a buggy version to a less buggy version. You're going from this issue to another equally as bad issue on the other platform.

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By tobygw

@TheHBK: There are multiple Xbox styled controllers that you can get for PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

360 version except for the blurry textures on my hands / weapons/ armor etc I have not run into any technical issues. Either way which ever your solution is, more skyrim = GOOD.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yevinorion

@McShank said:

@yevinorion: As i have said many times before. 360 still has texture issues. Why play a game for a console when the graphics are Shit? Also, 360 is not better in graphics and performance then ps3, they are equal except that I trust sony more then microsoft seeing as the 360x is what? The 5th generation? Why does it take that many models to get wifi built in and fix a Console breaking issue (RROD) And still not have Blueray? And if you have the pc, get it for that. You dont need a monster pc to run the game.

I appreciate your post, however the texture issue on 360 only seems to apply if you install it to your HDD. I admit there are folks who have had no issues with the PS3 version, but there just seems to be a general consensus based on both performance and graphic comparisons and time spent with the game that suggests the 360 version to be the less issue-plagued. Not to mention the past history of Bethesda games that are more buggy than normal on PS3. As I said in my original post, I admit they will probably patch a lot of stuff for both versions, but even to this day with patches there are still issues with the PS3 versions of Fallout 3 and New Vegas that were never addressed. You could probably blame the New Vegas stuff on Obsidian, but the engine was pure Bethesda. Sadly I don't have a PC capable of running this game as the only computer I have is an early 2009 Macbook Pro.

And hey, on the plus side, I'll get to introduce a friend to the world of Elder Scrolls games. So that's pretty cool.

@Hemmelight: Sorry to hear that bro, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid as I've only heard complaints like this from PS3 owners.

@ICryCauseImEmo: Yup, more Skyrim does = good. That's why I'm not so fussed, as like I said, my friend is already interested in buying my PS3 copy (he doesn't have a 360 or gaming PC) so the joy will be shared.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By captain_clayman

make the switch to PC

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yevinorion

@captain_clayman: I wish I could, seriously. My memories of Morrowind on PC with awesome mods are my best memories of the Elder Scrolls series. Right now though, I only have a weak Macbook Pro that can barely handle Starcraft II and I really can't afford to build or buy a new PC right now. :( Maybe in time for Elder Scrolls VI...

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By metalmoog

Yeah 360 is just simply put a better console all around. The game devs know it, I know it and everyone else will know it one day too. I've owned a PS3 and sold it because it just couldn't compare. Sure it has great exclusives but most multi platform titles are always worse on the PS3 and well PSN is a complete joke compared to Xbox Live. That's why it's free without Plus.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Justin258

@McShank said:

Have you actually seen the texture issues on 360? For one, they only happen when the game isn't installed to the hard drive, something that only marginally decreases load times and increases performance. For two, the only places it happens are on clothes and your own characters' hands when in first person, and in both cases it is not easy to tell unless you're specifically looking for it. It never happens on parts of the envinronment.The graphics on 360 are far from shit. The 360 version runs without any problems aside from the minor texture issues.

As for the PS3 version? Oh, trust me, I have seen my brother play it and watched its performance get worse and worse over the past few hours he's played it. It is horrible, and it even was before the save file size got over 5 MB. I'm glad I decided to go ahead and get my own 360 copy, because playing on his console would suck. Obviously it isn't happening to every PS3 owner but a sizable number of them are experiencing issues. In addition to that, the bump in graphics that the PS3 gets is minimal at best and utterly unnoticeable at worst.

Finally, the PS3 has had plenty of models and generations. The 360 didn't actually get a new model until around two years after its launch, one whose only change was color; a chip was later changed that was less likely to red ring but that wasn't until sometime in 2008. The PS3, however, has had several model changes and features removed.

Don't get me wrong, I like playing my brother's PS3 a lot, but your post sounded like an attack on the 360.

shootermcclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By shootermcclay

@MetalMoog said:

Yeah 360 is just simply put a better console all around. The game devs know it, I know it and everyone else will know it one day too. I've owned a PS3 and sold it because it just couldn't compare. Sure it has great exclusives but most multi platform titles are always worse on the PS3 and well PSN is a complete joke compared to Xbox Live. That's why it's free without Plus.

The game developers know that it is easier to develop for the 360. The truth is that the PS3 is a superior console when you develop specifically for it. This is why games like Uncharted 3, MGS4, God of War III, and other exclusives look better than any exclusive on the 360. The developers use the 360 because it is the lowest common denominator of the three platforms meaning it will run on the PS3 and PC. Therefore, PC > PS3 > 360.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By TheHBK

@tobygw said:

@TheHBK: There are multiple Xbox styled controllers that you can get for PS3.

This is true but they all pretty much suck.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By McGhee

Everything I've read says that the PS3 has the slightly superior version and it works well for me (except for one large scale battle that killed the framerate but that's going to happen on the 360 as well).

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By yevinorion

@McGhee_the_Insomniac: Really? Because I've read the opposite. The only place I saw the PS3 being considered the better version was in that european comparison video where the guy had the game installed on 360 so the textures didn't look as good. Everywhere else I've read it always goes in the 360s favor, especially in comparison pieces such as Lens of Truth's Head 2 Head and Digital Foundry's Face-Off. Mind you the differences are never huge and are not reason alone to choose one over the other, but combined with the fact that there have been issues in their past games and the issues we know about now, I think I'll just be more confident in playing the 360 version.

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hemmelight

I think it's time for me to just buy an xbox and trade my PS3 copy in for a 360 copy. 360s are only, what $149 now?

Edit: I just broke down and bought it on Steam to play with my iMac. Plugged in my PS3 controller using motioninjoy and now it looks better and more importantly runs like it should. I'm playing at mostly all medium settings with textures on high and draw distance for enemies and animals slightly bumped up. I'm getting a steady 30-45 fps in places like Riverwood and it's been great. Just heading to Whiterun now and bracing for impact. :S

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.