Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

So, Skyrim is kind of lame. It has no balls.

• 68 results
    GrillCheeser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GrillCheeser

Skyrim has fantastic graphics and is fun as hell and all that stuff, at first, after 20+ hours in I realized this is lame as hell. The game is trying to make you think your sweating it out make 1+ XP a hour, trying to make all your accomplishments seem like beating Shinobi on the PS2. Please excuse me if my argument seems scattered, I've never been good at essay writing. The leveling up system is a joke. Equilibrium + Healing and some tape = level 100 restoration. The game claimed to play how you want, dragons would show up at random. But if you do a few sidequests, a dragon, and any other enemy becomes a joke. There is no prestigious achievement in that game. You can't do what you want to do, because the game makes you do everything if you want to level up. You can\t just be a dualcasting mage unless you want to stay level 27 for a while. Why would a mage ever want to level up smithing? That't what Skyrim wants you to do to play the game.

All in all, you become OP level 20 and up in the game.

False promises, not as much freedom as you'd think.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#2  Edited By galiant

I like how you level in Skyrim. I get good at what I use.

If it's too easy for you, raise the difficulty.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By wunder_

Yeah, you're really bad at essay writing.

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bawlsz

@Wunder_ said:

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Dagbiker

So, your complaining because the game is fun, and you are over powerd at your level, but you still fell you need to grind. Seems like user error to me.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By laserbolts

A game doesn't have enough balls for you? Bummer.

GrillCheeser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GrillCheeser

It's a casual game disguised as a RPG.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By NathHaw

I actually agree with you in that it's frustrating to level at times. Speech is annoying.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Yeah it need more balls, just like Duke Nukem.

Alo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Alo81

Why can an RPG not also be casual?

Also, this game isn't casual at all and you're an idiot if you really think a game as expansive as Skyrim is in the same playing field as farmville.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Leptok

You're kind of missing the point. Up the difficulty then if the enemies are that easy. But if you aren't enjoying the world and discovering neat little areas then maybe it isn't your cup of tea.

GrillCheeser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GrillCheeser

Farmville proves Myshutup's points. Skyrim is a load of shit, you run around and do menial quests finding swords and you think it's epic because it makes you think that.

GrillCheeser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GrillCheeser

It just doesn't feel like I'm doing anything that anybody else couldn't do @Leptok said:

You're kind of missing the point. Up the difficulty then if the enemies are that easy. But if you aren't enjoying the world and discovering neat little areas then maybe it isn't your cup of tea.
    sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By sanchopanza

@GrillCheeser said:

Farmville proves Myshutup's points. Skyrim is a load of shit, you run around and do menial quests finding swords and you think it's epic because it makes you think that.

Is that not what almost every RPG ever is about? Blizzard have been milking that exact formula for years.

Also...@Bawlsz said:

@Wunder_ said:

GrillCheeser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GrillCheeser

That's a MMORPG, Persona 4 has the perfect match of grinding and progress. Skyrim, the game adjusts to you. There is no grinding neccesary and you feel no progress. I'm not some japanime nerd shit, but Skyrim was made for the masses. All these people wouldn't be praising oblivion.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By babblinmule
    @GrillCheeser said:

To  a certain extent that's all Dark Souls is too, and thats about as hardcore-y as you can get these days.
    dahitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dahitman

I think what OP is trying to say is, skyrim is bad because leveling your character past 27 means you have to use skills beyond your "favorites". Like if you play a mage, and you want fast XP past 27, without grinding mobs hour by hour. Then you would have to use smithing or some other skill you never use, to level up faster. (Levels are gained by skills, lower the skill level, the faster you gain a skill xp and xp). This is a fact.

However, the OP then rectified this statement by saying if you level pass 20, you are over powered. So shouldn't going past 27 be pointless?

In reality I think you need to switch to "master difficulty" and restart the game.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Deranged

If it's too easy go play Dark Souls, I don't think you'll be complaining about being overpowered at any time throughout the game.

sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sanchopanza

Diablo is an MMO? Holy shit, how did I miss that :o, and I remember when Oblivion came out and I'm pretty certain people liked it.

But really, if you are going to troll, at least come up with an intelligent argument or two that would at least make it interesting.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Eurobum

@GrillCheeser: When you become powerful Loading screens show up and tell you about difficulty settings. Go straight to hardest.

I do agree though, you end up leveling up all the skills, even if you don't spend perks in those skilltrees. I'm not sure even if you get XP for killing stuff once you maxed up the skill that does it.

A mage needs smithing to impove his equipment, or his/her companions equipment. You can also turn iron to silver/gold and make jewelry with the gems that you find. It's no coincidence that there are blacksmiths everywhere and always in your face. Similar thing applies to enchanters and alchemy tables.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Three0neFive

Can't say I agree with OP, but everyone saying "just turn up the difficulty" obviously hasn't played on Master. That shit's ridiculously unbalanced.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By twigger89

@Bawlsz said:

@Wunder_ said:

I had to read other peoples response to your post to extrapolate what you were trying to say. A good rule of thumb for writing is if you cannot articulate your point clearly, you shouldn't try to argue that point.

wafflesrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wafflesrok

This game doesn't have any balls! Not a single sphere to be found! Where the hell are my ball physics

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By JoeyRavn

@wafflesrok said:

This game doesn't have any balls! Not a single sphere to be found! Where the hell are my ball physics

Objection! There are balls. The OP is proven wrong. Case closed.

Case closed, I said.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's got cabbages, you can use them as make-shift balls

why not play a game of cabbage-arrow? it's fun for all the family

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@GrillCheeser said:

That's a MMORPG, Persona 4 has the perfect match of grinding and progress. Skyrim, the game adjusts to you. There is no grinding neccesary and you feel no progress. I'm not some japanime nerd shit, but Skyrim was made for the masses. All these people wouldn't be praising oblivion.

Yup, he's an idiot. *if i could block you i would*

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wunder_ said:

Finally someone who understands the difference between your and you're. :-) High-five!

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By EdIsCool
    No Caption Provided

@GrillCheeser: Also you're wrong.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zelyre

@wewantsthering said:

@Wunder_ said:

Finally someone who understands the difference between your and you're. :-) High-five!

Your write. Theyrre are so many people out their that don't know the difference between "you're" and "your". They're should be a rule that says that if you don't know the difference, that there able too take away you're ability too post. Who's idea was it anyways to just let these simple words slide on bye.

That was painful to write.

If Bethesda wanted Skyrim to be difficult, they would have changed all the Snake/Whale/Bird puzzles to Their/They're/There puzzles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zelyre: More painful to read. lol

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By damswedon

God I hope you are still in education. If not, you might want to take some night classes or something. I'm no Oscar Wilde (I'm not a gay Irish poet and author of the 19th century) but at least I finish my words.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By wunder_

@wewantsthering: YEAH! If I want to be a journalist, I need to know how to spell right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wunder_: That or have a great editor. :-)

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@GrillCheeser: First, I'm level 37 and I'm getting my ass handed to me by a lot of the enemies. Second, there is only as much freedom as there is possible in a videogame, it's just not possible, and would be completely stupid, if you were given every conceivable option. Third, the leveling is much better than past TES games as you can do it on the spot and since there are no major, minor (or even fucking misc. skills) it means you can play however you want, if the way you want to play is possible in game. Fourth, no grinding? Thank God. But I'm pretty sure I've done a lot of grinding for skills like alchemy, destruction, revival, smithing, block, heavy and light armour and a lot more skills I can't be bothered to list. And, finally, the dragons do not make the game easier. You kill one, good for you, walk into a barrow and get killed by a Draughr deathlord. Plus the dragons scale according to your level, which hold you are in the game and how far along the story you are. And then they get pretty tough, being able to knock health down to a slither with one bite. Same with sidequests, I've done a lot of them and still I get myself killed by even bandits, and I'm wearing Legendary (or whatever it is) Glass armour.

All in all, the game is pretty damn tough in areas, it's certainly not easy and if it is, raise the difficulty.

As much freedom as possible in a videogame.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Skald

@GrillCheeser said:

Why would a mage ever want to level up smithing?

So he's not pigeonholed into being a pure mage for the rest of the game?

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By wh1terav3n

@Wunder_ said:

This. You need to learn to organize your thoughts. There was almost no way to follow anything you were saying.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Capum15
    @Skald said:

@GrillCheeser said:

Why would a mage ever want to level up smithing?

So he's not pigeonholed into being a pure mage for the rest of the game?

Dude, Smithing + Enchanting makes serious money. And if you don't go into Alteration (at least the "No armor" perk), you can be a tank mage. Full Glass Armor + Dual Enchantments is fun. I'd be all up with Daedric armor but I sunk perks into other stuff instead, and glass is pretty good. Looks great, too.

And Sneak turns you into a Ninja Tank Mage.
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By themangalist

I was trying to argue the exact same thing in another post and everyone called me crazy. 

Skyrim encourages you to level up however you want but then implicitly forces you down specific paths. It's an interesting design choice as this substitutes for the class system. But the problem is the world scales to your level and if you level up useless/non-combat skills, you end up getting owned around every corner. I'm a warrior and getting conjuration bonuses from quests and skill books isn't helping me because I never use magicks. I just hope stuff is fixed levelled so i don't have to think about smart levelling every 5 minutes in the game :/

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By spazmaster666

@GrillCheeser said:

Skyrim, the game adjusts to you. There is no grinding neccesary and you feel no progress. I'm not some japanime nerd shit, but Skyrim was made for the masses. All these people wouldn't be praising oblivion.

Actually the reason why Skyrim is in many ways easier than Oblivon at higher levels is because most enemies in the game aside from bosses, dragons, and certain elite enemies do not level up you. So you won't be running into random bandits in Daedric armor and weapons at level 50 like you would in Oblivion. Also nothing in the game levels past 50, regardless of player level (this includes Dragons). If the game actually adjusted to your level, the game would be a lot more difficult since not only would normally fodder enemies be higher level (i.e. more health, greater skill levels) but they would also be rocking much better weapons and armor.

As for the leveling system, why do you feel the need to reach higher levels if you're content with the skills that you have? The game isn't difficult enough to require you to level past level 30 or so. There is certainly no need to level all the way up to 81 (which is the max level achieved by maxing all skills).

And Skyrim is far from "mainstream" or made for the "masses." Mainstream folks don't like games that lack a clear, linear focus nor games that last for 100+ hours (even with a game like GTA IV, the number of people who actually finished that game is low compared to copies sold). Skyrim basically throws you into a huge sandbox with only a vague sense of what you should be doing. I bet a fair number of of "mainstream" players will have trouble figuring out what the main quest is in Skyrim.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vestigial_Man

@GrillCheeser said:

Of course it was made for the masses, that's how games are made. That a game was made to have wider appeal should never be a complaint nowadays. That everyone wouldn't praise Oblivion is a good thing, it shows the developers they're improving.

Mister_Avatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mister_Avatar

Feeding the troll.

SockLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SockLobster

VIDEOGAMES

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Arker101

When I saw the thread title, I expected a video of someone kicking guards balls whenever they said "I used to be an adventurer..." or spawning tons of stones (the ones they use in traps) and letting them roll down a mountain. Internet, I'm dissapointed. That aside, if you want to get your skills up by cheesing the system, and not change the difficulty, the only one who is making the game lame is you. It's cool being overpowered late in the game, if you weren't you wouldn't feel like you accomplished anything, but if you'r smithing 30,000 daggers and then complaining the game was too easy, well... you'r doing it WRONG. How does the game force you to do anything? Mages don't have too smith. If you'r having problems leveling up without smithing, try mixing combat up, start off with Alteration, cast an illusion spell, and follow up with some one handed or destruction, it's not hard to use different abilities. Also, I feel I could have made my reply more succinct if you had organized your thoughts a bit more in your OP. Just as a tip, try thinking of what your point is while writing your post, not afterwards. (In reply to "not being good at essay writing.")

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By stinky

videogames. cant live with them, cant live without them.

work on the writing skills though, that stays with you for a lifetime.

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By w00ties

@GrillCheeser: Hang on. So, you're complaining about being overpowered once you level up. But you're also complaining about how difficult it is to actually level up?

I think the game offers just as much freedom as it promised. You can always do what you want, but who said you need to reach level 50 before you enjoy doing it? Who cares if you stay at level 27 for a while? If you choose to be a very specific character, maybe you don't deserve to be at level 50.

Consider level 50 to be the ultimate warrior capable of dual wielding while shouting fire and ice at a dragon as you cook a little pot-roast beside the horse and companion you're valiantly protecting. A jack of all trades, but better.

As you mentioned, level 50 (or even level 20+) is very strong. Yet you complain that you can't be a certain character and continue to progress through the levels...while also demanding easier leveling techniques, so you can become an overpowered beast and destroy everyone prior to complaining about being overpowered.

I'm confused.

@GrillCheeser said:

[...] The game is trying to make you think your sweating it out make 1+ XP a hour, trying to make all your accomplishments seem like beating Shinobi on the PS2. [...] The leveling up system is a joke.

[...] Equilibrium + Healing and some tape = level 100 restoration.

[...] But if you do a few sidequests, a dragon, and any other enemy becomes a joke.

[...] There is no prestigious achievement in that game. [...] the game makes you do everything if you want to level up.

[...] All in all, you become OP level 20 and up in the game.

[...] You can\t just be a dualcasting mage unless you want to stay level 27 for a while.

Let me try to work this out...

1. Leveling system is broken because it's difficult to level up.

2. Leveling is easy in some areas, such as restoration.

3. If you complete sidequests, all your opponents become easy. [Is that because you leveled up?]

4. Leveling up is really difficult.

5. When you level up opponents are easy which means there is no sense of achievement...but leveling up is really difficult because it requires you to do a variety of things.

6. High levels are overpowered. You can destroy everybody and everything at Level 20+.

7. You can't be who you want to be, because the game doesn't let you reach high levels easily.

Aw, I'm confused again. You want to level up, but you don't want to be overpowered? Somebody help me please.

The game does scale your enemies to a degree, but I still find it challenging at level 28. As others have mentioned, try adjusting your difficulty slider.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By musclerider

Skyrim white knights, ASSEMBLE!

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By huntad

Yeah, it really does make you do stuff that you don't want to do if you want to play a specific way. That's a good point, but I don't know what balls have to do with this.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By veektarius

@GrillCheeser said:

The idea that grinding is a desirable trait for a game astounds me.

CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By CornishRocker

If you're finding the game too easy just raise the difficulty level, it's that simple. Also, I find levelling-by-doing a great way to progress in RPGs, I'm glad Bethesda implemented it.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if skyrim doesn't have any balls, dark souls doesn't have a penis or a vag. Mainly because it doesn't exactly...work the way it should. Difficulty should be matched with a solid game, that gives a fair chance. Not with an essentially broken game, with horrible character movement and a terrible framerate to boot. Jesus...If I ever run that slow in my life....

If you want 'the full package'? Ninja gaiden is screaming hello! Or just turn the difficulty meter up in skyrim

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.