Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

somewhat disappointed

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By normalpants

This is probably a case of impossibly high expectations, but I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed with my first four hours of Skyrim. I don't know why I expected otherwise, but so far it feels a lot like Oblivion, including most of its technical flaws and limitations. A few examples:

1) I tried killing Hadavar after leaving the starting dungeon-- after all, he's affiliated with people trying to execute me-- but it turns out it's not possible to kill him, he just takes a knee and his health refills. I had to restart my game because I had an invincible murderous dude following me around wherever I went.

2) I'm playing on PS3 and the framerate chugs along almost as bad as Oblivion did, especially in combat.

3) Third person mode is still horrible and floaty.

4) Even though menu interface looks nicer, it's still a major pain in the ass to equip and sort through inventory items. Also, I STILL have to pick up coins one at a time?!

I'm going to keep playing, but it's not the technical leap forward I had hoped, it just feels like another Oblivion and Fallout.

>********1 week later edit:

Time to eat some crow.

Boy, was I wrong about this game. It gets off to a bad start but now that I've put in the time I can totally see why people are orgasming all over this game, because I am now totally orgasming all over this game. Hardly any performance dips now that I've let the game cache (this is total speculation) and the landscapes are gorgeous and detailed. Now that I'm playing an archer-thief-kitty, I'm finding third-person mode to be my preferred style. Melee is still a pain in the ass so I just don't use it. The menu still isn't perfect, but now that I have set up my favorites, it's not as clunky anymore. Second best game of the year after Dark Souls imo.

edit edit:

Skyrim needs a paper doll menu like most other RPGs to get a visual one-glance readout for currently equipped gear. I'd also love the ability to do side-by-side gear comparisons while looking at currently-equipped armor and armor in inventory

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bwheeeler

OK

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Contro

I agree with 3 and 4, with 4 being my biggest gripe. It's just annoying...

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There is just no pleasing people these days.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Zacagawea said:

Seriously, people will ALWAYS find something to bitch about. All of this seems so minor. Here's a tip, if its too much trouble for you to individually pick up coins... don't pick them up. Out of all those 4 is the biggest problem, but it's your own fault for getting it for PS3 cause mods dude.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pinworm45

I agree with number 1. It seems like you can barely kill anyone in this game. I kept going around trying to find people to kill to see if that'd bring the Dark Brotherhood after me, and I tried about 10 different people and none of them worked. Kinda annoying. There's already a shitton of quests in this game, they should have just made the quests fail or something, and only let the main quest (and maybe other primary ones) NPCs immune

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jothel

@Zacagawea said:

this right here

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By normalpants

Time to eat some crow.

Boy, was I wrong about this game. It gets off to a bad start but now that I've put in the time I can totally see why people are orgasming all over this game, because I am now totally orgasming all over this game.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By rjayb89

SKYRIM, FUCK YEAH

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.