Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Source of PS3 lag found?

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Storms

This article from Tech Digest seems to think so.

Bethesda have released the beta version of patch 1.4 via Steam for owners of the PC version of the game. In its reference notes are many quest and bug fixes, but also this interesting line:

Optimized bookshelf script in player-owned houses that would occasionally cause active scripts to lag and also cause an increase to saved games filesize (PS3)
    After reading this, it hit me. My last two characters haven't had lag. And my last two characters haven't used bookshelves.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Storms said:

Bethesda have released the beta version of patch 1.4 via Steam for owners of the PC version of the game. In its reference notes are many quest and bug fixes, but also this interesting line:

Optimized bookshelf script in player-owned houses that would occasionally cause active scripts to lag and also cause an increase to saved games filesize (PS3)
    After reading this, it hit me. My last two characters haven't had lag. And my last two characters haven't used bookshelves.
    Sounds about right for a Bethesda game. Some random ass thing that has nothing to do with it fixs it. 
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Dagbiker

Open world jank

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By McGhee

@Storms said:

I have game-breaking lag, and I've never used bookshelves.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp

@McGhee said:

@Storms said:

Well then fuck you Mr. Detective. You figure it out.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @McGhee said:

@Storms said:

BWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
    Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Never read books.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

No.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lol that's pretty funny if it's true

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Storms
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @McGhee said:

@Storms said:

BWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
    WHARRGARBL
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By McGhee

@Doctorchimp said:

@McGhee said:

@Storms said:

From what I've read from Bethesda's own words the lag issue is far bigger than just bookshelves. It may be part of it, but it's not all of it. This is clear when you look at how New Vegas had much of the same problems. The point is that both Storms statement and my own are just anecdotal.

Oh yeah, and fuck you asshole.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By cornbredx

I have this on PS3, countless hours in, no lag 
    I use book shelves galore 
    Sorry, not trollin, just sayin =(

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By katanalauncher

Yeah, Bethesda have shitty programmers.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I never use book shelves....  And the lag just gets worse.  Well to be fair, the lag starts to be noticeable when I dump 5 hours into that game at a time

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Storms
    @McGhee said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@McGhee said:

@Storms said:

From what I've read from Bethesda's own words the lag issue is far bigger than just bookshelves. It may be part of it, but it's not all of it. This is clear when you look at how New Vegas had much of the same problems. The point is that both Storms statement and my own are just anecdotal.

Oh yeah, and fuck you asshole.

My statement isn't anecdotal evidence, it's an observation. 

As you said, Bethesda's previous statements indicate that there are several reasons for the lag, and the wording of the patch note backs that up. Title of thread wasn't "the only reason Skyrim lags found". 

@CornBREDX: You and the majority of Skyrim players on the PS3. It's only if one believes everything they read on the internet that Skyrim is a broken, unplayable mess. 

@katanalauncher: Oh yeah? Show me the game of similar scope and ambition that's programmed better. Only similar game that comes to mind is New Vegas and they did worse. 

Looking at the beauty, the music, new features, improved story and improved mechanics, I have doubts that any effort was spared in the creation of Skyrim.
    TBird13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TBird13

I thought it had already been deduced that the lag issue was a result of the way the PS3 allocates RAM? That's why it's not a totally fixable problem (though it can still be improved upon, as the whole growing save file thing was present in previous Bethesda games too).

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bribo

More myth dispelling from someone playing a horribly laggy Skyrim:

- I'm playing on a PS3 slim (so it's not just an issue confined to older machines)

- autosave is turned off and it makes no difference.

- lag can kick in at anytime between 10 minutes and three hours (usually when a dragon appears, but not always).

- it only seems to be an issue in towns or the overworld - never dungeons.

- Riding a horse seems to bring the lag on much quicker.

In short, I haven't a clue why this game doesn't work as it should on the PS3 and I'm starting to suspect that Bethesda is equally bamboozled.

It might be something to do with the six-and-a-half Luis Letrushes hanging around the stables at Whiterun. I shall go kill those fools and report back.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Etnos

@katanalauncher said:

Yeah, Bethesda have shitty programmers.

Ignorant people talking out of their asses on the internet

Never gets boring, Thank you GB!

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bribo

It would appear that the gang of 6.5 Louis Letrushes are invincible. I invoked a dragon, rained lightning from the heavens and stabbed his stupid faces for all I was worth yet he still lives - still creepily asks with a single voice if I "need something?" - still occasionally stands on the shoulders of his own legless torso when his other selves bunch together too tightly.

Game's buggy. I think I'll just turn the difficulty down to nothing, finish the main quest, then shelve it.

No regrets. I doubt anyone has come away from Skyrim with a better story than the time I fought six and a half guys called Louis Letrush.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Doctorchimp

@McGhee: I was making fun of the topic, not you, just to be clear.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By spazmaster666

The main issue for the lag is most likely related to the limited ram available on the PS3. Even the 360 version can have pretty crippling lag sometimes depending on how many items you have in your inventory/stored in containers.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By McGhee

@Doctorchimp said:

@McGhee: I was making fun of the topic, not you, just to be clear.

OK. Sarcasm is a tough one on the internet sometimes. :)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By monkeyking1969

I read books and sell them, I never used the shelves, but I still have lag. On the other hand, I cannot say I never used a bookshelf because in dungeons I pull books off the shelf to read all the time...and have accidentally removed a book into inventory and then put it back.

My guess is there is a tiny issue with the books, but the big problem is Gamebryo sucks, always did suck and no amount of tinkering by Bethesda's coders can make it any less junk.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By yakov456

So what is causing my game to lock up during a wait period? Could that be book related as well? This just started to happen. Everything is fine unless I wait.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy

It's obviously not true if people experiencing the lag have never used bookshelves.

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By timeshero

Clearly y'all just bought the game on the wrong console. xD

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Grimluck343

@Bribo said:

It might be something to do with the six-and-a-half Luis Letrushes hanging around the stables at Whiterun. I shall go kill those fools and report back.

I would have done that first!

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nohthink

My question is; why would you use a bookshelf....

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I had always heard the reason the ps3 had trouble with bethesda games was lack of ram. That may be completely made up by some commenter from years back though.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine lags after a long play session but i just save and reload and it's fixed. So i'm not bothered by it anymore.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ExplodeMode

New vegas and Fallout 3 DLC had no books/bookshelves and were almost as bad.  It's just the way their games are programmed to the PS3s weaknesses.  If they somehow fix the problems with Skyrim it would be weird considering they never fixed the other games.  Go to the Bethesda forums and look around the PS3 sections for older games.  They have had people bitching at them about these issues for about 3 years.  If a fix was possible it seems like it should have happened long before this game even came out.

Here's a video of a guy having Skyrim issues in NV:

Here's a guy having lag problems in FO3:

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By JoeyRavn

This thread is amazing.

renachan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By renachan
    @TimesHero

Clearly y'all just bought the game on the wrong console. xD

Because, ya know, everyone has a copy of every console and has a choice.

If you don't have issues that's great, but don't be a dick.
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Storms
    @ExplodeMode:  

Again, as I've said multiple times in this thread, nobody said the only reason there's lag on PS3 has been found. Just one big source of it.

Also, New Vegas is not a Bethesda game. It's an Obsidian game. All Bethesda did was print it onto a disc. 

Also, even the creators of New Vegas, after floating the idea that the source of the lag was the same for both Skyrim and New Vegas, took it back after Bethesda explained the problems are due to a myriad of issues associated with their massive, complex games. They may yet go even farther in diminishing the lag issue than they already have (which is far) because they designed Skyrim to be more patchable than any other game. 

No, they won't ever get rid of all the lag. Even if this were the next generation of systems, there'd still be some circumstances that would cause any game to lag -- especially  one where a two dragons fight a giant, a frost troll and two bears while your companion is paralyzed by a Hagraven while eating a piece of bread and floating downstream as a thief attempts to give you an enchanted weapon to hold for him and you have a talking dog following you and you're taking sunlight damage due to your vampirism and the game is keeping track of the precise placement of every object you've rearranged in Skyrim's 16 miles (whereas most games either won't let you drop an item on the ground or stop keeping track of it almost immediately after you do). 

However, they have made the lag issue better with previous patches and are going to continue doing so.
    ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ExplodeMode
    @Storms:  I want the patch to fix things, but after watching this problem snowball as the games got bigger since 2009 I just can't believe it until I see it.

And are you talking about Josh Sawyer vs Pete Hines?  I never saw him take anything back and can't find it - can you give me a link?  I mean one of those guys is a developer with experience in the engine and the other is the head of PR, a position that could be renamed 'captain of bullshit.'
    Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fuck books!

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bribo

I've spent a few a few hours in the newly patched Skyrim and am happy to report that lag no longer seems to be an issue.

A couple of the quests are still broken though: most notably "Darkness Returns".

But only a fool would give up the skeleton key, so that won't be an issue for many.

Also, I made another attempt at killing the six and a half Louis Letrushes that loiter around Whiterun. There are now nine of them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.