Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

The Black Star

DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DeadPan

Im going to try not to spoil the mission, but i have a question about using it.

I dont enchant weapons, is it worth using this? It sounds pretty cool but i have no idea how to use it!

Alo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Alo81

Black star is definitely better than Azuras, but the boss to get the black star is tough as shit.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dunchad

Though it seems that purified star can hold human souls as well - unless they patched that.

But if you don't have weapons with enchants, then soul gems (inc. Azura's Star) are useless to you.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

You'll still need souls to recharge any enchanted weapons you do actually use, so I would say that it's worth having around.

Avatar image for pepitoneconqueso
    PepitoneConQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PepitoneConQueso

The Black Star can only hold black souls which are always grand souls (the most powerful).

Since human souls are always black and because black soul gems are hard to come by/expensive The Black Star is the better choice. To use it just cast soul trap on a human enemy and kill it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

@PepitoneConQueso said:

The Black Star can only hold black souls which are always grand souls (the most powerful).

Since human souls are always black and because black soul gems are hard to come by/expensive The Black Star is the better choice. To use it just cast soul trap on a human enemy and kill it.

Not all black souls are grand souls. I've had a Petty Soul in my Black Star.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Out of curiosity, how the hell do you use the Azura/Black Star? Soul Gems have always been an incomprehensible wall for me. Just can't figure out how they work or how to use them (aside from RB to Reload).

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By WiqidBritt

apparently the Black Star doesn't just trap human souls, it might be glitched that way

PepitoneConQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PepitoneConQueso

@Axxol: I think black soul gems can hold any soul, but only black soul gems can hold black souls; regular soul gems can hold any soul except black souls. Ow my head...

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

@PepitoneConQueso said:

@Axxol: I think black soul gems can hold any soul, but only black soul gems can hold black souls; regular soul gems can hold any soul except black souls. Ow my head...

Yes, but the Black Star isn't just any black soul gem.

PepitoneConQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PepitoneConQueso

@Axxol: Right, but it holds black souls and Azuras star does not.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BraveToaster

@PepitoneConQueso said:

@Axxol: Right, but it holds black souls and Azuras star does not.

Yes, I know. You stated that Black Souls are always Grand, which is incorrect.

Edit: Well, all human souls are Grand, but I've had a Petty Soul in my Black Star. I guess it;'s glitched like WiqidBritt stated. My apologies.

Xcessive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Xcessive

Cast soul trap on your enemies before you kill them, and the star will hold the soul. Use it to enchant things or recharge enchantments to level up Enchanting, without spending $$$

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@Axxol said:

@PepitoneConQueso said:

Not all black souls are grand souls. I've had a Petty Soul in my Black Star.

Thats because you captured a petty soul and at the time you didn't have anything empty except for your black star.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Black Star is more beneficial for enchanting...so...much...more!
    But from a role playing aspect, I'm playing a good guy, and i don't wanna piss off Azura. So it's up to you. Black Soul Gems are common enough at high levels (Went to Hag's End got like 6 black gems from that dungeon). At the same time if you take the Black star you have an unlimited amount of Black Gems.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Arker101

@DeadPan:Are you deciding on what to do?

From a roleplaying standpoint, Azura isn't Good or Evil, but she messes up dudes who don't obey her. The Mage guys arn't really evil either, but those dudes you retrieve it from arn't (insert guy at the inn name here) his friends and those guys are evil.

From a statistical standpoint, Black Star (The one you get from Mage Inn Guy) is vastly superior in every way. It's great for recharging a weapon even if you don't enchant, because bandits are extremely common and their souls will easily recharge your weapon(s).

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    Black Star is more beneficial for enchanting...so...much...more! But from a role playing aspect, I'm playing a good guy, and i don't wanna piss off Azura. So it's up to you. Black Soul Gems are common enough at high levels (Went to Hag's End got like 6 black gems from that dungeon). At the same time if you take the Black star you have an unlimited amount of Black Gems.
    From a role playing aspect my decent (not goody 2 shoes but decent) guy totally pissed off Azura.
    She is a daedra that meddles with fate and mortals and shit. Just because she ain't evil like the rest doesn't make her all nice either.
    I think it's totally ok for even a good character to try to defy Azura and her notion of fate.

At least that's how I looked at it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.