Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

The Coolest Moments You've Experienced So Far

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

So, to be completely honest, this is a thread to talk about something cool that happened to me while playing this game. BUT, I think this is a topic that everyone could add to so I'm making it a community thread. Without further ado, what has been the coolest moment you've experienced while playing Skyrim so far in your playthrough?

For me, my moment occurred during the first dragon fight. The dragon had about half of its life left as did my character. I didn't have any more arrows left, my magic spells weren't strong enough to do much damage, and I had no more health potions left. The rest of my crew were standing behind cover, behind me, trying to shoot the dragon with arrows. I was standing in the open away from all cover just as the dragon swooped down in front of me by what felt like 50 game-yards away. The dragon started running towards me and I started running towards it. He shot a few fireballs at me that I just ran through soaking up the damage. I was now down to a 1/4 of my life as I met the dragon in the open by myself. I strafed to the side of the dragon just as the music went back to the the melody of the game's main theme. I hit him over and over again and, eventually, the dragon died. I soaked in the dragon's soul as the rest of my team walked towards me out of cover.

Goddamn that was great.

So, join me in sharing your cool moments.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Pinworm45

Coolest moment for me so far was walking around some paths on a mountain. Found a shack some alchemist was using to grow herbs and shit. I was actually there looking for him to be sleeping in his bed, since I got vampired and needed to feed, badly, and couldn't got to a town. I started stealing, minding my own business, when all of the sudden I hear ROOAAAAARRRRRRR and the entire place lights on fucking fire. I ran out of the building to see what was up, and it was a dragon that came out of nowhere. To make things worse, I didn't have my guardian with me (fear that she'd get pissed if she saw me feeding), It was daylight so my mana/health/stamina wouldn't recharge, and I was low on arrows. It was a fun, intense fight that came out of nowhere. The best part of this was when the dragon was near death, and I was out of arrows/mana/pots, my horse came out of nowhere and kicked the dragon in his fucking face, getting the kill.

Horse hero.

brodywb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By brodywb

I saw a dragon land next to a giant. Before I could even get over to it, the giant had already killed it. I still got the soul though, so I didn't mind.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By fripplebubby

I saw a parrot stuck in a fir tree. Does that count? It was cool.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By fjordson

I don't want to spoil it, but there was a certain quest during the Companions guild quest line. Took place at night and...it blew my fucking mind. Bit of a game changer really.

If anyone out there is looking for a fantastic set of quests, go work for the Companions guild. Trust me.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShaggE

Nothing too amazing yet, other than having my companion, then myself, get knocked into the stratosphere by a giant, but I did have a funny moment or two.

First was having my horse save my life by distracting and fighting a bunch of bandits.

Later on, I was wandering through a forest, thinking about how few glitches I had seen. Seconds later, I turn around and see a wolf spawn in the sky and immediately fall to his death.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deathshroud

Just the exploring around after the intro is just making me so happy. found so much stuff already .

One thing . anyone pulling up the map on PC and its not very clear or rendered properly?

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dunchad

Best part so far was when I was reading some books in an alchemy store (some good stories out there) and I realized I had spent 6,5 hours in Skyrim and I had barely scratched the surface (have only done the golden claw quest, on my way to Jarl of Whiterun next).

Also, stumbling upon an old lady that I found suspicious and then figuring out she's a witch. That was pretty gratifying.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SSully

@Pinworm45: That ending seriously made me laugh out loud. Fucking amazing.

There have been a few epic moments, but the best part for me so far was while raiding a tomb by the base of a certain mountain you have to scale for the main quest. Near the end you enter a room where there are multiple caskets and they each get opened up letting out baddies. Well I just crouched at the end of this bridge as systematically took out each guy as they were coming out. The stronger guys that were surviving would end up getting super close, but I would finish them off with a final arrow before they reached me. It just felt good to finally have the bow be an effective weapon in an elder scroll game.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheChaos

I was just chilling in the courtyard at the magic college when all of the sudden BAM dragon out of nowhere swoops down and it's on!

Then later I was traveling along a really long winding road and this dragon just kept following me. It never attacked and was only circling me and roaring, I couldn't tell if it wasnted to fight or hang out.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Pinworm45 said:

Coolest moment for me so far was walking around some paths on a mountain. Found a shack some alchemist was using to grow herbs and shit. I was actually there looking for him to be sleeping in his bed, since I got vampired and needed to feed, badly, and couldn't got to a town. I started stealing, minding my own business, when all of the sudden I hear ROOAAAAARRRRRRR and the entire place lights on fucking fire. I ran out of the building to see what was up, and it was a dragon that came out of nowhere. To make things worse, I didn't have my guardian with me (fear that she'd get pissed if she saw me feeding), It was daylight so my mana/health/stamina wouldn't recharge, and I was low on arrows. It was a fun, intense fight that came out of nowhere. The best part of this was when the dragon was near death, and I was out of arrows/mana/pots, my horse came out of nowhere and kicked the dragon in his fucking face, getting the kill.

Horse hero.

Damn dude.... this game... wow... seriously you said SO MUCH in that post. A mountain shack for an alchemist, awesome. You got vampire'd, awesome. You have a guardian (wtf?) awesome. Fighting a dragon without being able to regain health/stamina, awesome. YOUR FUCKING HORSE KICKING THE DRAGON IN THE FACE TO DEATH, AWESOME.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Milkman

I was talking to some NPC and in the background, there was a wooly mammoth glitching through some trees. And then all of sudden, it just disappeared. I didn't hear a word that NPC said.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By ArcBorealis

I went into a tavern at Whiterun and I challenged the bard to a brawl because he was harassing some woman. Needless to say we both duked it out with fisticuffs and I won. Much more satisfying than whipping out my axe and cutting him up.

Best moment for me as far as playing the role I've created for my character. Plus, taverns are the coolest areas in Skyrim. It's nice to sit down, drink some mead, and hear a bard tell a few tales.

Chief71888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chief71888

I've had a bunch of little moments that have been great but there is one in particular that I keep thinking about. I just came out of this cave onto the plains outside of Whiterun when the music starts to really kick in so I look around to see whats up and a dragon flies over a hill coming at me. I'm out in the open with almost no cover and it starts circling me and doing strafing runs. I'm freaking out trying to think how I'm gonna manage this dragon when a saber cat comes out of nowhere and starts attacking my companion. So while my companion is dealing with the big cat the dragon changes it's focus to a nearby mammoth. So now me and this mammoth are teaming up on this dragon and we've got its health down to 50% when this giant comes running in and finishes the dragon off in one hit with his club. It was such an amazing experience that felt uniquely mine and left me utterly amazed.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB

Listen to the Rebel.FM podcast. They talk about a dead person showing up to someone's wedding (was invited before he died), leading to everyone freaking out and the wedding being cancelled.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A guard on horse-back was flying erratically in the air outside of Whiterun at around 100mph. The horse was completely still, just freaking out flying everywhere. It was awesome.

Also, this game is just so goddamn awesome in general. I don't think I'll be playing anything else for at least two weeks.

tomshreds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tomshreds

Running trying to escape from a giant.

Turn back to see where's the giant.

See companion flying in the sky.

???

PROFIT!!!

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By BoG

Unlimited magic, duh. BURN, ZOMBIES, BURN!

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By david3cm

It was relatively early on in my playthrough and I was just wandering around in the mountains and ran into a sabertoot, it was a difficult fight but i beat it with about half my health left. Right as the fight ended a thief appeared right behind me and demanded my cash. I aint no bitch, so I decided to take her on and the fight finished with with one of the critical hit animations, and leaving me with no potions and a sliver of health. Barely making it out of that encounter left my heart pounding and unleashing a nordic battlecry in my house alone at 5 in the afternoon. Im loving this game!

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pinworm45

@SSully said:

The stronger guys that were surviving would end up getting super close, but I would finish them off with a final arrow before they reached me. It just felt good to finally have the bow be an effective weapon in an elder scroll game.

Yeah this is great, but also my biggest problem with the game. I can't decide between being a mage or an archer since I like both. I think I'm leaning towards mage, but then I got in this fight near this castle where enemies really far away where shooting arrows at me, then me and my companion were shooting arrows back, and it looks fucking awesome when you hit them. They would fall off the walls. It reminds me of the archery between the goblins and the dudes in Moria when they were shooting arrows at each other from far away. Really satisfying

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Zippedbinders

A shadow was slowly crawling across a garden outside of Whiterun, I watched it for a bit, then looked up to find the source. A shovel was slowly sliding across the sky, about 80 feet in the air. I love Bethesda glitches.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mmmslash

Play Hide and Go Seek with the ghost of a dead child was pretty rad.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SSully

@Pinworm45: I default to my bow until enemies run up close to be for the sole reason of how satisfying it is to kill guys with the bow. I love it.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lobster_Ear

@Fripplebubby said:

I saw a parrot stuck in a fir tree. Does that count? It was cool.

I saw the exact same thing and it was making a weird noise.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EmuLeader

@brodywb said:

I saw a dragon land next to a giant. Before I could even get over to it, the giant had already killed it. I still got the soul though, so I didn't mind.

I had a similar experience with a Mammoth. I will never doubt how tough a mammoth is again. It killed the dragon on its own with almost full health left. Its cool, but its also depressing that they did not make the dragons stronger than a roaming animal.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tekmojo

Stopping to read some vampire books in one of their frozen ice bedrooms after slaughtering a den of them.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Three0neFive

Trekking from Whiterun to the Eldergleam Sanctuary on foot ('cuz that's how I do) with Maurice, I came across a few bandit hideouts, numerous wild beasts and a full-blown dungeon. I conquered them all, all the while ensuring the survival of my well-intentioned hitchhiker. When we finally got to the sanctuary a few hours later he had but a sliver of health left, but we could finally rest.

Game of the year, all years.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far its when I got off my horse to go take care of a bandit and some surrounding archers.  I killed the bandit and when I turned around to look for the archers I just saw the horse standing over 3 archer corpses. The horses are awesome.

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By deadmoscow

The lead up to the Dark Brotherhood quest line was pretty incredible, I don't want to spoil it though. Definitely a lot more creative than just "murder someone and then go to bed"

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BasketSnake

Yesterday when I entered my first dwemer ruin since Morrowind. The dwemer centurion gave me the chills. It's awesome and the metallic sounds and steam coming from it is great. It butchered me in one hit with steam or ice or something but it couldn't follow me out of the room so I killed it from a distance. Dropped nice loot. The room wasn't huge and I'm hoping for much bigger halls like we saw in Morrowind.

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JokerFrown

Not really cool, but tense. After completing the Companions first real quest, we were on the way back to town and had a Dragon following and circling us the whole way. I was just waiting for it to attack, but it didn't. It flew behind a mountain roaring in the distance. I feel sorry for the soul that it doesn't pass up...

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SamStrife

@Chief71888 said:

I've had a bunch of little moments that have been great but there is one in particular that I keep thinking about. I just came out of this cave onto the plains outside of Whiterun when the music starts to really kick in so I look around to see whats up and a dragon flies over a hill coming at me. I'm out in the open with almost no cover and it starts circling me and doing strafing runs. I'm freaking out trying to think how I'm gonna manage this dragon when a saber cat comes out of nowhere and starts attacking my companion. So while my companion is dealing with the big cat the dragon changes it's focus to a nearby mammoth. So now me and this mammoth are teaming up on this dragon and we've got its health down to 50% when this giant comes running in and finishes the dragon off in one hit with his club. It was such an amazing experience that felt uniquely mine and left me utterly amazed.

I hope I have a moment half as epic as that.

@Pinworm45 said:

Horse hero.

Or that even. Damn people are experiancing the coolest stuff in this game.

Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jikla

I was strolling down a road when I suddenly heard battle music, but I couldn't see anything. Suddenly I was attacked by something I couldn't see. Thought "hey, let's try igniting it". And it was a invisible kahjiit. Giev invisibility.

Also: Mammoths and dragon skeletons falling from the sky. Hilarious.

lando1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lando1
    No Caption Provided
    artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By artelinarose

Was playing earlier, running around doing random shit. I was making my way through a dense forest at night, the aurora above my only real source of light. A light snow was falling but soon swelled into a blizzard, making seeing almost impossible. I pulled out a torch and kept moving forwards until I broke into a clearing near a hill. I made my way up the hill, trudging through the snow and broke over the top to survey the land. At that moment my first dragon swooped overhead and crashed right in the clearing I had just passed. I turned around and charged back down the hill like the Nord I am, smashing into it with my mace and hiding behind my fire resist shield as it began to spew white hot gouts of flame at me. It took another crushing blow to the snout from my life stealing weapon and, battered and bloodied, gave a few powerful thrusts of its wings and took off, up over the hill. I reached the top with a murderous intent, ready to bring the fight to my foe once more.

And saw this.
    And saw this.

Clever girl.

FML

chawliemurphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By chawliemurphy

My coolest moment was a random dragon encounter outside of ulfrich stromsclouds keep. About halfway through the battle FIVE horses showed up and kicked the living shit out of the dragon. I just stood and watched. It was awesome cause I saw them coming, five horses running in a line.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Three0neFive said:
    Trekking from Whiterun to the Eldergleam Sanctuary on foot ('cuz that's how I do) with Maurice, I came across a few bandit hideouts, numerous wild beasts and a full-blown dungeon. I conquered them all, all the while ensuring the survival of my well-intentioned hitchhiker. When we finally got to the sanctuary a few hours later he had but a sliver of health left, but we could finally rest.  Game of the year, all years.
    Lil tip, get the spell Healing Hands, I'm not a mage myself but I've been using it plenty when I'm escorting farmers or other silly figures and dragons swooping in to bbq them.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Hizang

The whole game so far has been awesome, but the time I killed my first dragon solo was pretty epic.

Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fascism

I was maybe a half hour into the game, i stumbled upon a giant settlement or whatever, one of the giants ran at me and hit me with a club one shot me and my dead body literaly flew through the air for the next 45 seconds before my save reloaded it was insane and scary. like i heard thumping and turned around and all i saw was a club in my face and then i was tumbling end over end as scenery flew by

AndyD74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AndyD74

I just started playing last night, so I haven't done a whole lot, but I did the golden claw quest for the traders in Riverwood. It was fun moving through the caverns and solving puzzles. Then I came upon a trap that was a swinging door with spikes on it. I wasn't sure what would swing it, and I walked a little closer to get a better look at the door..then WAM! I got whacked. I took a step back to see what I did to activate it and saw the trigger on the floor. I decided to step on it again, not thinking the door would swing as far as it would then WAM again and it killed me. :( Sadly, I hadn't saved in a while. I like how when you're in sneek mode, the reticule opens and closes like an eye depending on whether or not the enemy has detected you, or is looking for you. I walked into an area where the eye would open a little and then close when I quit moving. I moved slowly and looked around, but couldn't see anyone, but with every step I made the eye would slowly open...so I eased into a room and still didn't see anything. The next thing a I know, the body of a restless Draugr comes crawling off of a slab, scaring me, and starts blasting me with ice. I thought he was just a body laying there and planned on looting him like I did with all the others. It was tough playing this game at first after playing so much Dark Souls. I'm getting used to the controls again and it's getting much better.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ervonymous

Resurrecting everyone and everything doesn't get old. I was cooking salmon in a fort and some old lady lost her shit, I didnt' want to kill her so naturally I raised the dead to do my bidding. She knifed three of the zombie bandits before keeling over, it was so funny... then I raised her.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Three0neFive said:
    Trekking from Whiterun to the Eldergleam Sanctuary on foot ('cuz that's how I do) with Maurice, I came across a few bandit hideouts, numerous wild beasts and a full-blown dungeon. I conquered them all, all the while ensuring the survival of my well-intentioned hitchhiker. When we finally got to the sanctuary a few hours later he had but a sliver of health left, but we could finally rest.  Game of the year, all years.
    Escort missions FTW! 

Wait what.
    Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Marnox

I met woman who wanted all my cabbages. Got some coin for my troubles. Weird woman.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By thornie_delete

Some dude approached me in the forest to give me a quest and because in this game the world doesn't pause during conversation, he was eaten by a mudcrab while talking and before I can give him an answer.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RedRoach

fuck I need this game now, only a few more hours till I pick it up.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#46  Edited By Atlas

Walking through the mountains and seeing the aurora borealis for the first time. I'm a sucker for these kinds of ambient experiences in games, and this one was beautiful.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Double destruction magic. Fireball spell. Archer on top of the front wall of a castle proceeds to be deposited somewhere behind said castle. Nothing more fun than realizing that you've essentially turned the game into a Kamehameha wave simulator.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Potter9156

Haven't seen much crazy stuff yet, but I did witness two bandits attempting to take on a mammoth and a couple giants. They lasted maybe five seconds.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By artelinarose

I also had a moment where I was running up a large slope and I saw three bandits charging at me, weapons drawn. I readied my sword to fight them and they just ran on past, and a few seconds later two giants and three mammoths came over the hill chasing after them. I sprinted past the bandits and fucking left.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By shinboy630

@deadmoscow said:

The lead up to the Dark Brotherhood quest line was pretty incredible, I don't want to spoil it though. Definitely a lot more creative than just "murder someone and then go to bed"

Couldn't agree more. I was pleasantly surprised at how awesome that was compared to Oblivion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.