Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Weapons of Choice?

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Scotto

So what are your preferred weapons?

Personally, I'm primarily rolling with my 1H ebony sword (enchanted so each hit steals 26 health, and improved to do 226 damage) in my right hand, and Sanguine's Rose staff in my off-hand (does no damage, but using it summons a Dremora to fight for you for 60 seconds).

I've got a daedric sword as well, but don't like using it because I think the daedric swords/daggers look kind of shit (though the daedric warhammer looks great).

How about you chaps? How have you outfitted your guy? Are you using any unique, named weapons?

- SCott

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AiurFlux

... Magic?

I dunno. The only two weapons I personally use are the Blade of Woe and the Nightingale Bow, although I don't particularly like either. I mostly just rock Destruction spells that cost zero mana, like a fucking baws.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

I have a pretty awesome glass mace at epic level and a glass sword called chillrend at epic level, I think I get around 86 damage or something.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like using my soul sapping daedric dagger in my right hand. if i feel like dual wielding anything, i'll have sanguine's rose in my left hand.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By jorbear

Mace of Molag Bal for now, but I'm working on my enchantment so I can make a game-breaking Daedric Mace sometime soon.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By ssj4raditz

My damn claws! Unarmed all the way.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By matthias2437

On my main gut (Dual wielding warrior) I generally stomp around with a Daedric Mace in my main hand and Daedric Axe in off hand. Most things I will use both to attack fairly evenly but on something with really high armor I will mainly swing the mace and something that can be effected by bleeds I will swing my axe a bit more.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Anything what shoots arrows real good. Right now I think I've got a Dwarven bow that does fire damage. Named it Vulkan's Lance (40K nerds may get the reference) and a Glass Sword that sucks stamina with each hit called Leech.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Bound Sword and tons of destruction magic. Conjuring guys is also worth a laugh. The Dremora Lord summon really takes to his job with gusto.

Fyllikall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fyllikall

Mace of Molag Bal, it does great damage and you can trap souls in soul gems, which is very useful if you use enchantments, or if you dont use enchantsments you can capture souls and sell soul gems for a higher price :D

I'm lvl 31 so early on it really helps although guards are afraid of the mace, but hey you are the dragonborn so they can just STFU :D

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By eminenssi

I craft my gear, if not only for being quite powerful, but to get to rename them!

My previous set was skyforge war axe + ice ench, "Frost Snap" and dwarven bow + fire ench, "Earthen Flare". I just recently upgraded to a new set and with the help of Google Translate I gave 'em latin names, to add to the epic: ebon mace + ice ench "Frigus Vale" (Cold Farewell, though other way around it translates to Farewell to the cold) and ebon bow + fire ench, "Stultus Ardebit" (The fool shall burn!).

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Nux

Fireballs...one in each hand.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By BaneFireLord

Not as far as some of you people (only level 25), but I'm having a lot of fun with Dawnbreaker and a fire damage-enchanted Ebony sword. Also, Wabbajack really comes in handy.

Sarge_Gunnerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sarge_Gunnerz

How does the archery in Skyrim compare to the archery in Oblivion? Better? About the same? I never did much archery in Oblivion but I think I will when I start Skyrim.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By blackblade500

Right Now I am using a sword in one hand and destruction magic in the other, but have been thinking about switching to one handed and shield. Is it too late to think about that, I am lvl 21?

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scotto

@BaneFireLord said:

Not as far as some of you people (only level 25), but I'm having a lot of fun with Dawnbreaker and a fire damage-enchanted Ebony sword. Also, Wabbajack really comes in handy.

Dawnbreaker is a great looking sword, but I was kind of disappointed by the stats on it.

- Scott

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlinkyTM

I'm using a Daedric Battleaxe that's enchanted. I kind of want a cool weapon with a name though. All the ones I get from NPC's are one handed and I wasn't willing to kill a dog with a slight lisp to get a two handed one!

It's just not the same when you give it a name!

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Toxin066

Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice.

Honestly, I'm a fan of one handed swords. Fast Healing in my left hand, sword in my right.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Robo

A Scimitar upgraded to legendary in one hand, Ebony Blade upgraded to Legendary in the other. Also a legendary glass bow with ebony arrows and occasionally an ebony dagger.

I have smithing at 100 but only up the light side. Thinking about going up the heavy side and making some daedric weapons. Didn't want to waste those points on a character that focused on light armor, but looks like I have no choice unless some better weapons come up from quests.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

2 Deadric Maces (Legendary). Both have Absorb Health and Absorb Magicka. Giants die in seconds.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Robo

@Sarge_Gunnerz said:

How does the archery in Skyrim compare to the archery in Oblivion? Better? About the same? I never did much archery in Oblivion but I think I will when I start Skyrim.

Not sure how it compares, but in Skyrim you pretty much destroy shit while sneaking if you put some points into archery perks.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scotto

Put some enchants on my deadric armor tonight, that got my legendary ebony sword up to 295 damage, haha. Mental.

- Scott

Morien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Morien

My daedric shield of magic resist is permanently fixed to my left side. That being said, I use my paralyzing + hp draining daedric mace (named "Pain") most of the time. For sneaky kills I use my paralyzing + hp draining daedric dagger (named "Murder") when I want to kill something in one hit. And for those long distance shots I use my soul trapping + lightning damage daedric bow (named "Reaper") to trap black souls or just pick off easy targets. I know, the names are cheesy, but it was the best I could come up with at the time.

beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By beckley205

Magic fire hands.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FritzDude

Wabbajack! Wabbajack! Wabbajack!

Rusputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rusputin

@Sarge_Gunnerz said:

A bit different, for sure, probably better later on. Oblivion archery was awesome because you had Speed and Acrobatics to supplement it, so you could be the fastest man alive running around shooting arrows at people. Late game it was still fun (sneak attacks ignored armor), but you couldn't come close to one-shotting a lot of stronger guys.

Skyrim gives you the option to enchant stuff with crazy +dmg to Archery, so late game it's amazing. Early on I didn't feel like I could ONLY use a bow in combat, but sneaking with a bow is the best.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By ki11tank

whatever the best bow i have found at the time.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#28  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

around 60-65 hours in I still use the Imperial Sword (fine) I added Soul trap to a few hours into the game, since I can use it along with a magic spell. I do have some good bows too, which I occasionally use to up my archery skill, or for sneak attacks, but since it uses up both hands it doesn't work well with my playstyle. And, yeah, I do have some better swords, but I've been waiting to get better at smithing, enchanting and finding better soul gems until I enchant them, and until they trap souls they are useless to me. I also have the Mace of Molag Bal, but who uses maces when there are swords, man?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Ruiner

Ebony and Falmer Swords

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Two Ebony Swords. One enchanted with Fire named Charizard, the other enchanted with Shock named Zeus.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#31  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@Robo said:

@Sarge_Gunnerz said:

Not sure how it compares, but in Skyrim you pretty much destroy shit while sneaking if you put some points into archery perks.

Bows are slightly better in Skyrim, they are about as powerful, but the zoom effect is pretty useful. It's weird how they inverted the reticle though, in Oblivion you had to account for the arrow dropping with distance, and thus had to aim above the target, but in Skyrim they have instead made the reticle point below where the bow is aiming, which is great when you're firing at distances, but less than 20-30 meters or so away, the arrows fly way above where you're aiming. Really confusing and I still haven't gotten adjusted to it.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

@BaneFireLord said:

FINALLY!!!!!!

I thought I was the only one rocking the Dawnbreaker :)

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fetchfox

I normally use a daedric two-handed sword that I've smithed to legendary. I do love that you can keep smithing legendary gear as long as you've got fortify smithing gear and potions. For Dark Brotherhood stuff I use a daedric knife, cause you just have to kill in style (soultrap when throat slitting is also quite satisfactory).

luchadeer797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By luchadeer797

For the most part I'm just using a crafted Ebony Bow upgraded to legendary pared with a thousand Dwarven Arrows, I deal around 135 damage per hit with all the buffed equipment I have. Yet when things just get too close, I have legendary Ebony Blade in my right hand and a legendary Ebony Dagger in my left.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By smokeyd123

Sword and board on my knight.

My thief uses a Dagger, along with chillrend and the Nightengale sword in a straight fight.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NekuCTR

two handed legendary warhammer, enchanted to apply fire damage. I wanna do ALL the damage.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By xMP44x

I use a Silver Sword I enchanted to do weak fire damage, just so it'd be a little bit better against the Draugr. I use it because I haven't got around to making myself something better. For those who didn't already know here, I love history. My sword is called Amadeus, after Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, but I'm thinking of also creating Tchaikovsky if I can find a decent sword to do so with. Between it and my bow, I have a decent enough way to fight against enemies. Nothing too special but it's not terrible either.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By MetalBaofu

Going with 2 handed for my first dude. The two handed axe I'm using, at the moment, is Wuuthrad. Seen more than a few people saying Wuuthrad is the best two handed axe in the game(besides daedric stuff), which kinda sucks for me, because I got it very early in the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.