Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Werewolf or vampire?

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

right now, i am debating on whether i should choose to become a werewolf or a vampire. as of now, i'm leaning toward werewolf, but if somebody can convince me otherwise, i might change.

don't know if this helps but i use light armor, conjuration, dual sword, and when i'm in the mood, dual destruction magic.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BrockNRolla

Werewolf. There is no aesthetic change once so ever if you become a vampire. Huge disappointment.

But, in case you wonder skill wise, while a werewolf, all you can do is roar and kill dude with your claws. Fun, but no magic or weapons allowed.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

How do you even become a vampire?

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

you have to get attacked by a vampire to become a vampire.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By DaemonBlack

I find the vampires pretty underwhelming. My problem with Skyrim's and Oblivion's is that you become more powerful when you DON"T feed. Even when you are at stage 4, (and everyone hates you) you really aren't that much more powerful and the spells you get aren't very exciting.

Werewolves are a little better. Transforming can make hard battles much more manageable in the early levels, like dragon and giant fights. But eventually your claw damage will become obsolete and you will do more with regular weapons. But its always fun to transform and be a badass looking werewolf I think.

If you play on PC there are plenty of mods that change both of these and make them a little more balanced and fun.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By strainedeyes

Werewolf. You no longer have to worry about catching any diseases.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox
    @BrockNRolla said:

Werewolf. There is no aesthetic change once so ever if you become a vampire. Huge disappointment.

Yes there is. Your eyes change color (at least my Altmer's did) and the sun can burn and scar your skin.

Vampirism is more fun than Lycanthropy in that it can't just be ignored. When playing as a werewolf, I never used the skill. Then again I didn't really use the vampire skills either. Both are pretty 'meh.'

@StrainedEyes said:

Same for Vampirism.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

I don't find either to be that entertaining. I didn't like controlling my werewolf self, and the day/night cycle goes by quickly enough in Skyrim's large open world that being restricted to night wasn't fun.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrockNRolla

@MrKlorox said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Yes there is. Your eyes change color (at least my Altmer's did) and the sun can burn and scar your skin.

Really? Well I hadn't noticed the eye color change, but seriously about the scaring? Sure I knew the sun burned you, but I didn't think the damage was permanent. That's bizarre.

Nevertheless, I was hoping for a change like the one you got in Oblivion. Angular bone structure, loss of color, and all. I found that much more interesting.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox
    @BrockNRolla said:

@MrKlorox said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Really? Well I hadn't noticed the eye color change, but seriously about the scaring? Sure I knew the sun burned you, but I didn't think the damage was permanent. That's bizarre.

Nevertheless, I was hoping for a change like the one you got in Oblivion. Angular bone structure, loss of color, and all. I found that much more interesting.

Since my Altmer was already pretty pale and all the way skinny, I wasn't able to notice if she started looking any bonier. But I do think i started becoming less yellow and more white before she started getting black splotches all over her face and body. Everything was back to normal once I got it removed, and I do think she looks more vividly colored now.
    ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

i'm probably sticking to werewolf. unlike being a vampire, being a werewolf wont exactly change my style of play and will not restrict me to playing at night. thanks for the replies everybody. :)

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By strainedeyes

@MrKlorox said:

@StrainedEyes said:

Same for Vampirism.

Yeah, but there are no real negatives to being a werewolf, aside from not getting the rested bonus anymore.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By musubi

There are almost zero negatives to becoming a werewolf outside of being extremely vulnerable to silver but sliver weapons are REALLY rare anyways outside of the Companions quest line.

Mjdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mjdemon

Be a werewolf. Ive had to playthroughs. One being a werewolf and the other being a vampire.

You have so much more quests if your a werewolf due to the companions but there arent really any quests if your a vampire. I had more fun in my werewolf playthrough than my current one. Was vamp early and i rarely use my vampire powers at all.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Cubidog1

I use werewolf during tough fights and it lasts for a while, so I'd say werewolf.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Werewolf, cause wolves are freaking awesome! Wish i was a wolf...oh well, maybe in the next life.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I didn't play as either going through Skyrim, but if I had, I would've gone werewolf. Being a vampire in Skyrim seems about as pointless as being one in Oblivion was.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BigChickenDinner

Vampirism feels like an it was an after thought. I feel like it was a hold over from Morrowwind in Oblivion. And it feels the same now in Skyrim. They really need to have a Vampire quest line of some sort in these games, and really create some cool vampire abilities for the game. Other wise the current vampire system feels like a beta that never really was finished.

Lycanthropy was a waste of time and should of been about vampires. All of those hours and all that talent wasted for the Lycanthropy content could of been spent on better vampires.

If they fix those systems I might give it a try, but it seems like a waste of time.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BrockNRolla said:

@MrKlorox said:

@BrockNRolla said:

As a result of the hemophiliac virus, the infected slowly grow paler. Fangs protrude from their gums, allowing for easier feeding. Eye color changes from the spectrum of average hues to red. Khajiit vampires get saber cat-like fangs; also the change in the eye type as well.

When infected, the fur of the Khajiit alters as the skin of a human or elf would. Long-toothed by nature, the incisors of the Khajiit grow exceptionally long, so that they protrude below the lip. However, their pupils become thinner and more blade-like. The scales of Argonians grow greyer as the infection worsens.

Right from the Skyrim wiki.

bombastius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By bombastius

both are pretty bad to be honest , think its very sad and boring they didn't plan some ability increase/improvement by leveling with both vampirism and lycantropy. Becoming and older more experienced and more powerful vampire / werewolf would be really interesting and fun.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@bombastius: Found this on Skyrim Nexus. Pretty interesting, haven't tried it out myself though.

Pobearo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Pobearo

@TheDudeOfGaming: Damn that's awesome, I wish you could mod Skyrim on 360, because I would be all over that.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By fox01313

Haven't tried the vampy route on Skyrim but from what I remember in Oblivion, it was good for some classes but not others. For my sneaky thief/mage (in Oblivion) the vampire abilities made stealth & a free detect life ability quite useful. Not sure what all they've changed for Skyrim but betting that it's not all that great. Now the werewolf in Skyrim that is a good choice only for one reason, running. While playing with my warrior who was quite overencumbered & looking at a long walk back to town, I got bored so decided to try out the shapeshifting thing then found out that the encumberance issue wasn't a problem while in werewolf form. The change only lasted a couple of minutes but those couple of minutes running saved a lot of time & tore apart a roaming bandit before game changed me back. Only real bad part of the werewolf with this is that when you change back you have to equip everything again.

conantheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By conantheking

@BrockNRolla said:

@MrKlorox said:

@BrockNRolla said:

I got that, my character is a Nord. His eyes went a dark red, his skin went very pale and his cheekbones were more gaunt. I am guessing that maybe you had a glitch and saw no change to your character's appearance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.