Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Whats so good about Skyrim?

• 150 results
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Myself and others would like to know why there is so much hype for Skyrim, on the outside it looks like a good RPG but people are acting like it will change the genre. I really like RPGs and ill get Skyrim sometimes but it seems to be nothing drastically new. Please, feel free to explain and make others hyped for the game. :)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Did you play Oblivion? It's like that game that a lot of people really liked, only better.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I'm kinda hyped for the graphics but the combat still looks too Bethesda for me.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @FluxWaveZ
    Did you play Oblivion? It's like that game that a lot of people really liked, only better.
    Yep, I never really grabbed me like Fallout 3 did however.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @NekuSakuraba
    @FluxWaveZ
    It*
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By mike

Did you play Oblivion recently, or when it first came out? You're pretty young, so you were more or less a child when Oblivion was released...it's been almost six years.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShadowConqueror

A lot of people like the Elder Scrolls game, and this could be the best one yet.

I am one of those people.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@MB said:

Did you play Oblivion recently, or when it first came out? You're pretty young, so you were more or less a child when Oblivion was released...it's been almost six years.

Played it in 08 or 09 (cant remember), 2010 and just tried a couple of months ago. It never stuck to me like as i said Fallout 3 did.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Rekt_Hed

People love creating and being part of hype.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Subjugation

Dovahkiin! Dovahkiin!

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By mandude

It should be awesome, because it's a fine tuned version of Oblivion. So really, it's a true follow up to Morrowind, which was orgasmically amazing.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jetsetwillie

@NekuSakuraba said:

@FluxWaveZ

then it's probably not a game for you then. just move on.

if you didn't like oblivion you wont like this.

not everyone has to like every game.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By TomA

@NekuSakuraba said:

@FluxWaveZ

I'm the opposite. I thought the landscape in Fallout 3 was so boring and uninspired, that it literally made me stop playing the game.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There's a bloody shortage of these types of games is why people dig the few so much (or not, eh Two Worlds?).

I think this will be a great and beautiful game, but I'm just too sure that the combat will be same old same old and still get that been there once, never back there again feeling.
    Just hoping the areas are more diverse and impacting, like 90% of Oblivion was really generic forests and stuff in which I always got lost.

Oh and the sidequests better be good, I do not want to stalk people through a city while going through 5 long ass loading screens again.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

When I played Oblivion I escaped some castle thing and then I rode a horse for awhile and destroyed a yawning black portal.

The combat was really boring someone explain why people like this game.

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Neferon

I think the hype is mainly because of the lack of well executed sandbox games. When I played Morrowind for the first time I spent a crazy amount of time on it just doing whatever I felt like doing, I ended up exploring 3/4 of the map and didn't even touch the story. That to me is proof of a good sandbox game, one where we aren't constantly being pushed through (sometimes nicely constructed) corridors. Now we get to play a game made by the people that have made morrowind, oblivion and fallout 3, which are amongst the best of sandbox games. Yes please!

Also, we get to kill dragons. :D

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@TomA said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@FluxWaveZ

I'm the opposite. I thought the landscape in Fallout 3 was so boring and uninspired, that it literally made me stop playing the game.

Haha, weird. I really liked the atmosphere in Fallout but found the one in Oblivion to be too boring and plain. xD

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By laserbolts

INFINITE DRAGONS!!!

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I'll give Skyrim a shot, no doubt, the game looks solid, fun and a great experience but it's more the ''why is this game going to improve the genre so much?'' rather than ''How do we know the games going to be good?''

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sungahymn

@NekuSakuraba said:

@NekuSakuraba
    @FluxWaveZ
    It*

There's an edit button you know.

I loved Oblivion and Fallout 3 (and New Vegas). I suppose the reason is that Bethesda games have an almost unparalleled skill to create worlds that feel big and open, almost overwhelming. No other games do that for me. A lot in Oblivion was bunk, especially the dungeons and lifeless characters. Not gonna deny that. But everything else was just plain immersive. Fallout even more so. So yeah, I looking forward to Skyrim.

Although I have to admit, I played Oblivion again recently. Did not age well. I stopped playing for another reason though.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@sungahymn said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@NekuSakuraba
    @FluxWaveZ
    It*

There's an edit button you know.

Yeah, sadly they haven't implemented it on the mobile site yet. :(

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By PieGuy

For me it is just the amount of freedom the game offers you. As a University student I'm strapped for cash and time. There are so many potentially amazing games coming out before Christmas however none will offer me value for money that Skyrim will.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Bethesda open world game. My favorite genre. So, that.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tekmojo

Yea one of those that loved Morrowind and hated Oblivion.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hourai

Because it's going to be fucking amazing.

Morrowind is probably one of my favorite games of all time (if not my favorite). I remember staying up until the wee hours of the morning before school just because I got so immersed and into the game. The world was fantastic, the story, the music— everything. It was just stunning when it first came out. Oblivion was less great, but when it came out the graphics and everything were so fancy and it was incredibly addictive. It sucked you in and made you play for hours and hours every single day, just exploring, doing side quests, and messing around.

I'm hoping that Skyrim delivers that same kind of feeling when it first comes out, with the new engine and everything. I'm not expecting it to be as good as Morrowind, hell, I'm not expecting any game to ever be that good again, but I'm expecting a lot from this. I just want to roam the world, visit new places, slay dragons, and get lost in the game. There are very few games that provide immersion better than TES, even Fallout 3 doesn't compare to the series. There's so much potential now that they're finally ditching GameBryo, so hopefully we'll see less bugs and bullshit permeating the game.

So yeah, I'm damn excited.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @NekuSakuraba said:

Myself and others would like to know why there is so much hype for Skyrim, on the outside it looks like a good RPG but people are acting like it will change the genre. I really like RPGs and ill get Skyrim sometimes but it seems to be nothing drastically new. Please, feel free to explain and make others hyped for the game. :)

It's the same situation as with Oblivion and Fallout 3.
    New Bethesda open world game is coming out. Marketing tells everyone it will be sunshine and rainbows in everything forever.
    Everyone faps. Forgetting that Bethesada's marketing team lies like a motherfucker.
    Yet with each new game people suddenly remember how much bad bullshit was in their previous product (hey what do you know recent Bombcast just prooved my earlier point)

NOTE: I'm not saying they are bad games. These are good games, with their own faults. I like them.

But people overhype each new open world instalment, every time.

@Hourai said:
    I'm hoping that Skyrim delivers that same kind of feeling when it first comes out, with the new engine and everything. I'm not expecting it to be as good as Morrowind, hell, I'm not expecting any game to ever be that good again, but I'm expecting a lot from this. I just want to roam the world, visit new places, slay dragons, and get lost in the game. There are very few games that provide immersion better than TES, even Fallout 3 doesn't compare to the series. There's so much potential now that they're finally ditching GameBryo, so hopefully we'll see less bugs and bullshit permeating the game.
    Except it not an entirely new engine.
    They just heavily upgaded Gamybryo.
    But it's better for marketing to say it's a totally new engine. (they are technically in the clear)
    rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rosebud04

In a nutshell, Attention to detail on a huge scale.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Some of us still remember the brilliance that was Morrowind, Muthsera.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hourai

@Tennmuerti said:

@Hourai said:
    Except it not an entirely new engine. They just heavily upgaded Gamybryo. But it's better for marketing to say it's a totally new engine. (they are technically in the clear)

I am sad now.

Oh well. Guess you can't really judge it until you play it yourself. I just don't want broken quests, people spawning in the air, game freezes, five minute load times, and all the other crap that comes with Gamebryo games.

IrishBrewed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By IrishBrewed

I don't think it improves the genre rather it stays true to fantasy rpg's roots. It's a game with tremendous depth and lore. It actually is hard to find such games these days, because most games are fixated on the idea of get it out quick and download the rest later. Bethesda does a good job at staying loyal to rpg roots, with deep single player gameplay that offers countless hours of entertainment rather then the status quo 8-10hous.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ABritishNerd
    @laserbolts
    INFINITE DRAGONS!!!
    Nuf said.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TomA said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@FluxWaveZ

Same. Fallout 3 just put me off (and scared the fuck out of me) 
    Whereas Oblivion was just so charming and magical.
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By Dagbiker
    @NekuSakuraba

I cant tell you why others like skyrim but personaly I like skyrim because it isnt trying to redefine a genere. Its oldschool. and its from bethesda.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Hourai said:

even Fallout 3 doesn't compare to the series.

I strongly disagree with that. :)

@AhmadMetallic said:

@TomA said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@FluxWaveZ

Same. Fallout 3 just put me off (and scared the fuck out of me) Whereas Oblivion was just so charming and magical.

I don't know, maybe I didn't get far enough but Oblivion just looked like any old fantasy game.

Some questions for those who are hyped for Skyrim -

What is the story/main objective? A good story to keep you playing is always nice.

How much can you change the world? I enjoy games in which your decisions effect the world.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Jams

@NekuSakuraba: I think people are getting excited about all the updates they are promising (and showed in demos). Things like better animations, magic system, leveling system. Things that people complained about in the previous game. With new features like dual wielding spells and weapons, cooking and crafting, dragons DRAGONS. Plus the setting is different enough not to be typical high fantasy with green grass and magic fairies everywhere.

I was already hyped for Skyrim when it was announced. I got super hyped to the point of tears and insanity when they started naming the new and improved features.

JuggertrainUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JuggertrainUK

Never really got the whole Skyrim hype either. It looks like a good game but not the returning of Christ that some people make it out to be.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Jams said:

@NekuSakuraba: I think people are getting excited about all the updates they are promising (and showed in demos). Things like better animations, magic system, leveling system. Things that people complained about in the previous game. With new features like dual wielding spells and weapons, cooking and crafting, dragons DRAGONS. Plus the setting is different enough not to be typical high fantasy with green grass and magic fairies everywhere.

I was already hyped for Skyrim when it was announced. I got super hyped to the point of tears and insanity when they started naming the new and improved features.

Dragons are cool, but how many?

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Aishan

@NekuSakuraba said:

Somewhere between two and a million.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jams

@Aishan said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

more like.... ALL OF THEM. Even dargons dragoons and draconians. Drickowheasles and tally whackers! Mash'm fry'm boil'm in a stew!

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By awe_stuck

@LordXavierBritish said:

When I played Oblivion I escaped some castle thing and then I rode a horse for awhile and destroyed a yawning black portal. The combat was really boring someone explain why people like this game.

Cus a lot of people used magic and not a sword. They are working on fixing the combat. Still wielding a sword only will probably still be boring when your not slaying villagers.

@NekuSakuraba said:

I would explain it to you. It would probably go over your head. Since you already played one of the best RPGs ever made, yet didnt notice why it was soo amazing

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Marcsman

Definitely the dragons

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Sooty

Even when Oblivion first came out it was janky as fuck, it's not even like that game has aged badly, it felt dated from the very beginning. That's why I couldn't get into it. I really hope Skyrim isn't the same because I want to explore that world, but I won't do it with terrible gameplay mechanics like past games have had.

Tobli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tobli

@awe_stuck said:

@LordXavierBritish said: I would explain it to you. It would probably go over your head. Since you already played one of the best RPGs ever made, yet didnt notice why it was soo amazing

Someone is a bit touchy about people having different opinions.

http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By Evilsbane

Lets see its like a mash up of the best parts of Morrowind & Oblivion with some Fallout 3 thrown in on a Beautiful graphics engine with God Damn Dragons.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hexogen

A lot of people love taking their opinions to the extreme, particularly when it concerns a subject they're passionate about. Something is either the most awe-inspiring thing ever or the worst. Sometimes people even flip-flop between these two extremes. It happened to me with Modern Warfare 2 (lesson learned). Basically, take super strong opinions with a grain of salt.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It's a huge RPG that gives you a lot of freedom and a large world to explore at your own pace.

The combat has never been great in TES series, but that's not what made it so popular anyway.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Jams said:

@Aishan said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

more like.... ALL OF THEM. Even dargons dragoons and draconians. Drickowheasles and tally whackers! Mash'm fry'm boil'm in a stew!

Meme incoming -

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cap123

Because oblivion was almost amazing, it was great but also had it's flaws. If Bethesda gets it right this time, and gets the atmosphere right, it could be the best game ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The key thing is almost definitely feeling like part of a world. Oblivion had buckets of this, so people have no doubt that a sequel (6 years on) will have more. It's also why The Witcher 2 was so incredible. Immersion for days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.