Avatar image for crusadernoremorse
CrusaderNoRemorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello fellow duders!

I never got around to playing The Evil Within when it came out and I really liked what I saw of The Evil Within 2. I remember the first one looking fucked up in a way that I can appreciate, but I've seen a lot of people say that the amount of jank and frustration reached unacceptable levels. I mean I can tolerate frustration when the totality of the experience is unique or cool enough, but sometimes too much is too much.

So for those of you who have played the first and the second game: Should I start with the first Evil Within, or start directly with the second one?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to watch a video that explains the premise of the first game then that's what i recommend. Because, TEW2 is a must play. The game is so amazing that i beaten it twice and could not get the guts to uninstall from my hard drive.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 8

One of my favorite story moments in TEW2 is only effective if you've played the first game, so I would say yes, absolutely.

But I also feel like I'm the only person in the world who liked the original TEW, so take that into consideration, I guess?

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I haven't played the second game yet, but I thought the negative reaction to the first game was wildly overblown. I guess I understand if one came to it expecting it to be the next RE4, but that's ultimately on that person for letting their hype get the better of them.

It's a decent game. It gets kind of long in the tooth, but it's worth a playthrough. I remember enjoying the two part DLC as well.

Lego_My_Eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I started the first one and stopped playing part way though, not because it was bad or buggy, i just got distracted by other games or something. Its a game i fully intend on going back and finishing, and enjoyed playing. I don't remember it being buggy or frustrating at all, so take that as you will.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelle:

I think there’s quite a few of us who really liked the first game but feel like the rest of the world hated it. I played through the first The Evil Within twice, including all DLC, and probably at some point will play through it a third time. It really suited me.

The Evil Within 2, on the other hand, had a lot less appeal to me because of the changes they made

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

Haven't played TEW2 but really liked TEW1.

That said, go play the one you're excited about. TEW1 will be there if you want more TEW afterwards. I'm sure you'll be able to connect the vast majority of the dots no problem.

Just don't let TEW1 keep you from playing TEW2 if you only kinda want to play TEW1 and actually interested in TEW2.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

Yes, you should. I disliked it the first time I went through it, but several months before two's release I went back and finished it on the new game plus and thought it was really good. It's not that janky. The protagonist's animations are a bit stilted, and on the base consoles, the frame rate is not the best. You may also not love the aspect ratio, even though you can now turn off the black bars (although, on PC you can also change the FOV which is a great thing). My issue was that I wasn't a fan of the conservation of ammo on my first go as it felt like it was being too action-heavy for the lack of ammo you get.

I wasn't wasting ammo either from what I remember and yet I often got frustrated because there were moments when I needed it and didn't have any. I don't know if I'd feel that way now if I went back to it from scratch, but I remember that bothering me. Anyways, regardless, I think it's a really good game, and I also fully recommend you play the great DLC. I like two and finished it a few times, but I liked the more linear, more varied, and trippy environments of the first game where it was trying to cram every kind of horror into it. It's an intense game for sure, especially the moments that have enemies chasing you as you're in tight spaces and doing light puzzles to progress.

Two is a good game too, and has a decent story, albeit a bit derivative and at times a bit maudlin sounding. I think the latter half is slightly better than the first half. They do some more twisted enemy designs which I appreciate, but in the first game, the reasoning behind what they are and why they are, are explained, while in two there isn't any explanation, and I found that unfortunate. If you play the first game, make sure you also get the DLC.

I recently played through half of two again and noticed they put in cheats which make the game arguably more fun. All of them make the game easier, and technically if you want any kind of challenge, I'd only recommend infinite stamina, but you'll be able to exploit every A.I. in the game with it on, making it fun, but also hilariously easy. Oh, and lastly, if you get into the lore/story, seek out the comics. They're not amazing, but it's more story and I enjoyed them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@wemibelle: I agree, those moments were great in two and if someone hadn't played one, those parts wouldn't be as effective for sure. There's also all the slides for the projector in two; once you get them all, it reveals something that wouldn't mean much to someone that hadn't played one. Plus, the nurse as you upgrade.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By Mezmero

@ntm: @wemibelle: As someone who finished and really liked the 2nd game without touching the first, I got to that moment and thought "Ooo, this must be referencing the first game. That's pretty dang cool!" A friend of mine explained more of the context about it later but speaking as a test case for this scenario I'll say it's not impossible to get some satisfaction out of that stuff without playing the first game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.