Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.

The Evil Within Akumu No Upgrades/Keys/DLC Walkthrough.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Frag_Maniac

This is intended as a walkthrough for those whom want to extend replay with added challenges after beating the game on all modes. It emphasizes ways to conserve resources in fairly effective and reliable (safe) ways. It's not by any means a speedrun, but times will be kept as reasonable as possible. I will add new posts as I have new chapters to show. If you see a slight jump in the video, like the 17:19 mark in Chapter 3, it's because I'm pausing the game to save a ShadowPlay Instant Replay clip, which I prefer to manual record since it yields better performance and is more convenient. Each chapter will be recorded as one gameplay session when possible though.

OK, it's finally done! My clear time came out at 6:27:16, with 20 deaths. There is not much need to worry about scrap and ammo if you follow this guide, and it's all collected safely as I did not attempt to disarm wall mines for scrap. There were times I had well over 80 scrap, and went into the big battle after the chapter 15 intro with over 50 scrap. By the twin keeper battle later in chapter 15, I was back up to 58 scrap. So don't be afraid to use those scrap parts when needed. I was easily able to keep the waves emerging from the rolling door in chapter 11 under control with shock bolts and matches.

One last word, if you enjoy survival horror games, please buy and play them. Survival horror is sadly becoming a bit of a lost art and dying genre, it needs your support to continue. Remember, this is a walkthrough, not a long movie, it's intent is to get you thinking how to play great games like this. Thanks to those of you whom took the time to watch, and keep playing!

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chapter 4

Loading Video...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems... Random and just kind of bad timing. But hey, good game (I mean, I didn't like it originally, but did when I gave it a second chance prior to TEW2).

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

This seems... Random and just kind of bad timing. But hey, good game (I mean, I didn't like it originally, but did when I gave it a second chance prior to TEW2).

Not really sure whether you're responding to me when you say random and bad timing, or referring to your post, or whether you even put it in the thread you intended, but I agree. Many, including myself, disliked it initially due to the forced 30 FPS cap, letterboxing, and shear difficulty. Even after the patch I still find sideways panning while aiming to be a bit microstutter prone. The game definitely grows on you though, not many survival horror games are made as well.

As for TEW 2, I didn't like it nearly as much, especially the much less keen enemy AI, which are easy to lose, and on top of it a cover system that allows auto stealth takedowns. I've only played it on Normal mode so far, but am hoping the higher modes will make up for the dumbing down they did.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

I was referring to this thread you made. Most people on here aren't that interested in TEW1, and making a thread about a walkthrough of how to best complete it these many years after its release isn't going to gain a lot of traction. I know that may seem offensive, so sorry. Obviously, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just pointing it out. Also, I didn't like TEW2 as much either. The higher difficulty won't alleviate its issues. I thought it was a good game and the end was great, but it was somewhat disappointing. I wasn't a huge fan of the open-ish Silent Hill (and, much less interesting than Silent Hill) inspired levels despite being pretty excited about it before its release. The entire portion of Stefano being the villain was just kind of dull.

The game is also by and large much less intense. It felt like a less enjoyable The Last of Us if you will, with a few other inspirations. I much preferred the more varied, linear approach where the enemies have a bestiary telling of how each enemy is reflective of a character's feelings or fears. The first game, at least to me, just played much better on new game plus. On initial playthrough, it felt kind of like it didn't know what it wanted to be. An action game where you blast a bunch of enemies away, or a game that you conserve ammo. There were just some parts in it that felt like it didn't know which it wanted to be in my opinion from what I remember, so it didn't feel good either way. I speak negatively about TEW2, but I actually did like it, it's just that it's not as good as I had hoped.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Frag_Maniac

I'm well aware most that played it already, aren't playing it anymore, but this kind of walkthrough is not for the typical player. It's for those that after playing the 2nd game, want to go back again and replay the 1st in new extra challenging ways. I mean we both agree it's the better game, and many agree.

I'll put it another way, just 3 chapters into posting it on Tom's Hardware, I've already seen one person say they want me to narrate them and are going to stay tuned to the rest, and a mod suggested I make a tutorial thread out of it. And Tom's isn't even really known for hardcore players looking for hardcore walkthroughs.

Also, this is by no means a typical Akumu walkthrough. There's not many Akumu walkthroughs with a no upgrades/keys challenge to begin with, and they're generally either very long with limited knowledge of the game when it first came out, or speedruns that use the faster more powerful shotgun from the fighting chance DLC.

Suffice it to say, to each their own. I didn't think you were being insulting btw, but by the same token, I would say let the members decide whether they want to view or comment on them. After all, game content is a very personal preference thing, and summer is kinda the dry season for games, so people go looking for videos sometimes.

I've already logged extra views posting these here, and that's good enough reason to keep doing it to me. In fact I've logged FAR more views here than on Tom's or the official Bethesda forum. I'd also rather people that view them don't comment at all, than suggest posting them is futile, whether you mean it as insult or not (which I know you didn't). It's kinda like backseat moderating whether you realize it or not.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chapter 5

Loading Video...

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chapter 6

Loading Video...

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@ntm: Not sure why you're giving OP heck. Clearly it's something they want to and enjoy doing, so more power to them. Besides, it's interesting to see a talented playthrough of the game, considering how much trouble I had with it playing regularly. I can hardly find the energy to play a single game I love, let alone pour this much dedication into any of them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: I wasn't really, I was just saying it's a weird thing to see considering this community never really seemed to be into the game, and it's several years after its original release. I don't personally have an issue with it, I was just stating that it was weird to so nonchalantly post it as if a bunch of people was super into it right now. Plus, I saw he replied to me, but I neither flagged (as if I was moderating) his post nor kept up the conversation about the topic since I am fine with him posting it and had no more to say. Plus, I hate to point it out, but while I am glad that it seems he got more views for posting it here (or so he says), as you can see no one aside from you has had anything to say about the topic aside from you replying to me. Again, I am not being mean, I was just being observant and honest about what I was seeing with the inclusion of how I personally felt about the game itself. Anyways, that'll be the last thing I have to say on here since it seems the only thing being discussed it seems is me supposedly giving him guff.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Frag_Maniac

@the_nubster said:

@ntm: Not sure why you're giving OP heck. Clearly it's something they want to and enjoy doing, so more power to them. Besides, it's interesting to see a talented playthrough of the game, considering how much trouble I had with it playing regularly. I can hardly find the energy to play a single game I love, let alone pour this much dedication into any of them.

Thanks, and yes, there's much dedication involved. Thanks for watching. In case you missed it, read the description for the Chapter 6 vid, I did a little paraphrase of C,S,N&Y's Our House in honor of it.

@NTM,

You're now bordering on being blatantly rude. It was bad enough when you stepped in the thread to belittle it as "random" and "badly timed", yet guess what, here you are yourself as if you've got nothing better to do than troll. What's "weird" is someone taking it upon himself to judge whether others are going to be interested in viewing them, as if it's any of your business. If anyone's being "random" and "nonchalant", it's you with your passive aggressive tone. At this point I'm going to warn you that the next such post will be reported, and I'll also be discussing it with forum staff. You've done nothing but sully an otherwise good thread.

The fact is this game is still played by many, and preferred over TEW2. I just saw a lengthy 1 hr 42 min commentary by a guy that did a video review of it, at the end comparing it to TEW2, and it was published 9/11/17. It's got over 90,000 views. So it seems you have no clue how many people are still interested in this game, and since you obviously don't play it anymore, it should be no concern of yours whether people just watch my videos, or comment on them. I certainly can't imagine any of them would comment as annoyingly as you. This thread already has well over 400 views, anyone can see it's being looked at more than you imply.

I don't happen to agree with the opinions of the reviewer I mentioned. Clearly he doesn't understand how survival horror games are made if he's going to berate the game for limited sprint time and ammo. Many others commenting didn't agree with him either, but at least most respected his right to post his commentary a whole 4 years after launch, which is more than I can say for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNLJvu0EB_Q

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Frag_Maniac

Chapter 7

Loading Video...

chacobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty cool, it really just makes me want Shinji Mikami to do more action stuff though. I love the options to put difficulties under your own control..I feel like so many games have no understanding of that.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chacobo said:

This is pretty cool, it really just makes me want Shinji Mikami to do more action stuff though. I love the options to put difficulties under your own control..I feel like so many games have no understanding of that.

IMO this game is survival horror done right. Just the right balance of stealth, limited resources, and action. My only regret with Shinji is the way he made enemies less footstep aware and killable via cover takedowns in TEW2.

Chapter 8

Loading Video...

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chapter 9

Loading Video...

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Frag_Maniac

Chapter 10

Loading Video...

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chapter 11

Loading Video...

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chapter 12

Loading Video...

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chapter 13

Loading Video...

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chapter 14

Loading Video...

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chapter 15

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.