Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Gunstringer

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 19, 2011

When betrayed and left to die by his posse, the undead Gunstringer seeks revenge in this marionette-inspired Kinect rail shooter.

I don't want to be a hater but...

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kortex

... the Wavy Tube Man DLC looks awful. I know, I know it's intentionally awful but that doesn't make it less awful. I don't get the hype.

Generally I don't get the love for Twisted Pixel. They make mediocre games at best and market the shit out of them with stupid FMV.

Sorry, I think I am a hater.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BrockNRolla

You are. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

It's fine if Twisted Pixel isn't your thing. I imagine their audience is relatively niche all things considered.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

They straddle the line between nailing it and trying too hard. I'd say they hit about as often as they miss. I totally could get someone not being into it.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Slaker117

I'm not a huge fan of Twisted Pixel's thing, but I thought that Quick Look was amazing. Nothing I'd buy, mind you, but I'm thrilled that it exists.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By GuyIncognito

@kortex said:

... the Wavy Tube Man DLC looks awful. I know, I know it's intentionally awful but that doesn't make it less awful. I don't get the hype.

Generally I don't get the love for Twisted Pixel.The make mediocre games at best and market the shit out of them with stupid FMV.

I don't get it either. Also, pay attention to how people's opinion correlates with whether they're a subscriber or not. Enter the hive mind.

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BeepBeepBoop

The thing about Twisted Pixel, for me at least, is a lot of my enjoyment comes from the crazy stuff they do like the fmv. Rare for me to actually laugh at games, but my god did the credit sequence of 'Splosion Man have me almost on the floor. 
    Besides I actually enjoyed the gameplay of 'Splosion Man and Ms. 'Splosion Man even if things got a little too hectic in the latter. 

Also at the end of the day that DLC is free, and it's a throwback to the old crappy fmv games it's a 30 minute movie that you get to laugh at. 
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By onarum
    @GuyIncognito said:

@kortex said:

Generally I don't get the love for Twisted Pixel.The make mediocre games at best and market the shit out of them with stupid FMV.

I don't get it either. Also, pay attention to how people's opinion correlates with whether they're a subscriber or not. Enter the hive mind.

Not having a sense of humor must be harsh, also it's a free DLC so, yeah......
    SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

@kortex said:

stupid FMV.

If you think their use of FMV is stupid, we can't be friends.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Bocam

How old are you? Finding Wavy Tube Man funny is based off of knowing what it's parodying.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kortex

@onarum: I wouldn't say I have no sense of humor. It's just that the Twisted Pixel stuff isn't funny to me. It's their schtick but I am not convinced - it looks insincere.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kortex

@Bocam: I am 30. I know what they are trying to parody.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By KarlPilkington

Couldn't you have just posted this in the video? We don't need to know what everybody thinks separately in a thread.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By RuthLoose

@kortex It seems like Child of Eden might be more up you alley then, if you want dumb, bizarre FMV in your rail shooter because it at least puts on the air of being a serious thing.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CptBedlam

I think Twisted Pixel games in general get a little too much love from Giantbomb. I mean, it's understandable ...they like the guys, they like the humor and all. But that 5 stars rating for Comic Jumper? Come on...

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BeepBeepBoop
    @CptBedlam said:

I think Twisted Pixel games in general get a little too much love from Giantbomb. I mean, it's understandable ...they like the guys, they like the humor and all. But that 5 stars rating for Comic Jumper? Come on...

It was 4 stars.
    kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kortex

@RuthLoose: Playing it at the moment :)

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RuthLoose

@kortex said:

@RuthLoose: Playing it at the moment :)

You and me both, brother. What a trip.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster

No, you're not a hater.People use the term hater way too much

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam

@BeepBeepBoop: You're right ... sorry then %)

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sirdesmond

@KarlPilkington said:

Couldn't you have just posted this in the video? We don't need to know what everybody thinks separately in a thread.

I agree. Just comment where it makes sense.

Also, it doesn't make you a hater to have a different opinion. A hater, at least to me, is someone that just hates something because they hate everything and like to whine.

My response to OP is "then don't play it."

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By IBurningStar

Hate the player, not the game.

I don't know how that makes sense in relation to this, but...there ya' go.

Personally, I really like all of the crazy FMV stuff they throw into their games. I found the whole Tube Man Quick Look to be great and had a big goofy smile on my face from beginning to end. That being said, I'm not that big of a fan of their games from a game play perspective. I love how they use FMV and their sense of humor, but I don't really love that part where I have to play the game. I'm not saying they make bad games or anything. I just think that they are only OK.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kortex

@sirdesmond: Thought we could have a conversation. My response is "then don't read it."

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sirdesmond

@kortex said:

@sirdesmond: Thought we could have a conversation. My response is "then don't read it."

If you wanted to start a conversation than do that. Your original post just said it "looks awful," that you "don't get the hype," and they make "mediocre games at best."

What about it does not appeal to you? Where do you find the disconnect between the "hype" and the actual games themselves? What makes their games mediocre? These are all good questions you could have answered in your original post to not only give us something to read but something to respond to and have a conversation about.

Starting a thread with "this looks crappy" is not a good way to spur conversation.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seesic
    I can understand that, I'm not a huge fan of FMV but the guys at twisted pixel tend to do what they find fun. And that seems to be FMV, i personally wouldn't play through the Tube Man dlc. But hey free dlc is awesome.
    kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kortex

@sirdesmond said:

@kortex said:

If you wanted to start a conversation than do that. Your original post just said it "looks awful," that you "don't get the hype," and they make "mediocre games at best."

What about it does not appeal to you? Where do you find the disconnect between the "hype" and the actual games themselves? What makes their games mediocre? These are all good questions you could have answered in your original post to not only give us something to read but something to respond to and have a conversation about.

Starting a thread with "this looks crappy" is not a good way to spur conversation.

I gave my opinion on a topic. Sorry about that. You, on the other hand, are breaking the conversation. How about participating instead?

So, you like the games?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iamjohn

@kortex said:

@sirdesmond said:

@kortex said:

I gave my opinion on a topic. Sorry about that. You, on the other hand, are breaking the conversation. How about participating instead?

So, you like the games?

Wow, really? You're accusing someone of derailing your troll thread by asking you to explain yourself, all while basically ignoring everything they've said? I think my irony meter just exploded. All you're doing is convincing people that you don't have a clue about what you're talking about, you know.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Bocam

How old are you? Finding Wavy Tube Man funny is based off of knowing what it's parodying.

I disagree, I thought it was fucking hilarious and I had no idea what the fuck it was about.
    kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kortex

@iAmJohn: So now I am a troll. I see what you did there.

But allow me to explain myself.

When Twisted Pixel finished splosion man they didn't know what to do with credits so they filmed the famous dancing splosion man. That was cool and really funny. But since then not only the games became worse and worse but the FMV too. Not only that, but the FMV became their gimmick they use to hide a lack of quality in gameplay and to sell their games.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By CaptainObvious

YOU ARE A BAD MAN.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iamjohn

@kortex: Yeah, you're a troll because it took you twenty-eight posts into your own thread for you to actually say anything more substantial than "THEIR GAMES ARE MEDIOCRE AND THIS THING I HAVEN'T PLAYED LOOKS AWFUL WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THESE GUYS?" I'm glad we're on the same page here.

Not to mention the whole, you know, personal taste thing, considering that I (and I'm sure a bunch more people) would argue that Ms. Splosion Man is the best thing they've ever made.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kortex

@iAmJohn: You know, I thought my first post was pretty clear, but hey. Hate me I am a hater. Troll me I am a troll.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sirdesmond

@kortex: I have played the demo of the Gunstringer and plan on picking it up pretty soon. It is definitely a game that's atmosphere, art style, and humor overtake its gameplay (which basically just boils to down to a not all that interesting rail shooter). The gameplay seems like it would get stale to me because you are simply timing jumped during platforming sessions, dodging obstacles (while only moving left to right) in some of the running sections, and just basically highlighting enemies during the shooting sections. There is no real complexity, thought-provoking, or even especially twitch gameplay there to really keep me interested on that front. Luckily though, Twisted Pixel's humor and characters make up for that level of boredom I found with the gameplay. It is certainly not humor that everyone can enjoy (not that there is really any type of humor that is) and I understand that, but as a love of shlocky, bad movies and low-budget cheese, I found myself laughing out loud at some of the FMV sequences in the demo and found the interesting blend of FMV with the gameplay to be very refreshing.

From what I've seen of the Wavy Tube Man DLC (just the Quick Look here on Giant Bomb), it looks absolutely hysterical. That said, it is definitely 90% movie and 10% game but so were the games that it is attempting to replicate and poke fun at simultaneously so I would not want to see it changed from that formula too much, if at all. I am excited to play through it, test its limits, and see how it all plays out but I love the Troma films, the laserdisc-based games of yesteryear, and everything that it is targeting with its overall design.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kortex

@sirdesmond: I won't argue with you about personal preferences.If you like it, good for you. Have fun with it, I mean it :)

When I started this thread i didn't mean to talk anybody out of playing the game or liking Twisted Pixel.

I am just a hater. And a troll, of course.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@GuyIncognito said:

@kortex said:

Most likely because those who are willing to subscribe are the ones who already agree with most of GB's opinions? I don't like everything they like, I definitely think we have common tastes, which is what originally made me such a fan of the site. It has nothing to do with conspiracy theories or borg invasions.

Also, I loved Twisted Pixel before it was cool :P (when their only game was the Maw).

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Quacktastic

If you don't have that kind of backwards affection for bad FMV games like some do, thinking it looks dumb is a pretty normal response.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By 234r2we232
    @BeepBeepBoop said:

@CptBedlam said:

It was 4 stars.
    That's still 4 too many stars for that God awful game. It's one thing to parody, it another to not know how to make good games and pretend you're being ironic. Silly hipsters making games.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By ProfessorEss

I appreciate their style, but their games (except for Splosionman) just play too poorly to generate much interest in me.

Plus, I dunno, I found the gag funnier when it came as a surprise. I'm afraid it's getting closer and closer to Ace Ventura's "Allllll righty then" with each release.

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a Kinect because of the Wavy Tube Man Chronicles. Yeah, I'm completely serious. I love FMV games.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#39  Edited By alistercat

You are being a hater like you said, but regardless of whether you like it or not it doesn't matter. It's great that stuff like this gets made and people are trying out different things. It benefits everybody.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.