Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 27, 2011

A re-release of two classic Team Ico games that feature HD graphics & stereoscopic 3D support. Features originally found only in the Japanese and PAL versions of the games (co-op play in Ico, for example) are included in the North American release for the first time.

Would l enjoy these games if l played them today?

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

I've only started getting heavily into gaming this generation so unfortunately l missed out some highly acclaimed titles for the PS2. Since l am a PS Plus member The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection is available for me to download. l have always thought these titles looked interesting, but my question is the do both games hold up? and would l still enjoy them?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@natedawg_kz: Sure. The controls may not be as tight as you're used to on some more recent games, but both games are unique enough that they still hold up exceptionally well. You should definitely give them a shot.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Kyle

Ico, maybe. Shadow, definitely.

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
    omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By omniscientcajun

@natedawg_kz: I bought the collection when it was released, having only played Shadow of the Colossus. I really enjoyed Ico, though as @truthtellah said, the controls put up a small fight, along with the camera. Nevertheless, it remains an endearing story with a well realized world that was quite fulfilling a decade after first release.

I can't speak as purely about SotC because I did play it at initial release on the PS2 and it is one of my favorite games of all time. So I'm biased. Going back to it after five years, I can say that some of the controls again, are a little finicky - swimmy aiming, a little floaty at times. However, this is far and away the best version of the game, eliminating all slowdown and frame rate chugging of the original release.

So, yes. I would really recommend playing them. At least give them a try. See if the worlds, the music, the stories, the characters pull you in. If not, at least you tried. But I do believe they hold up enough to still be genuinely enjoyed, not just appreciated as games of their era.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By gkhan

@natedawg_kz: Sure. The controls may not be as tight as you're used to on some more recent games, but both games are unique enough that they still hold up exceptionally well. You should definitely give them a shot.

I absolutely agree, but having just played through Shadow, the controls are worse than just "not as tight". They're quite bad, in fact, by modern standards.

But, if you can get over that hump, go for it, they're excellent.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I never played Ico on PS2 and only got halfway on Shadow of the Colossus growing up, but I picked up the collection and I think they both hold up really well.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TruthTellah

@gkhan said:
    @truthtellah said:

I absolutely agree, but having just played through Shadow, the controls are worse than just "not as tight". They're quite bad, in fact, by modern standards.

But, if you can get over that hump, go for it, they're excellent.

I'd say even a fumbling experience with SOTC is still better than playing many games out there today. ha.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By impartialgecko

Not sure about Ico but Shadow of the Colossus is still an amazing experience today.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Sinusoidal

Both games hold up very well. I'd argue SotC is quite a bit better now even since some moments - especially during the final colossus - were plagued by slowdown on the PS2.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By I_smell

I've not played Ico, but Shadow is a great game.

In the world today, where it runs at 60fps and every other game looks better than this, God of War 3 had way bigger creatures and stuff like Braid n Journey and the whole indie-game movement are making strides into introspective experiences every year-- Shadow of the Colossus doesn't have the same klout it did when it came out.

BUT I've played it recently and the animation is fantastic, the world feels huge and mysterious, the play of climbing the monsters is awesome and they pulled off that horse perfectly. Elizabeth who? This is a fucking real-ass horse on my TV.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I played Shadow for the first time maybe a year ago and it's still a good game. It didn't blow my mind or anything, but I definitely enjoyed it.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By GunstarRed

I personally think Ico holds up better than Shadow of the Colossus due to its simplicity. If you've never played these games I could see Shadow of the Colossus seeming quite fiddly and awkward to control, but it is something you get used to.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Controls are kind of finicky but the aesthetic beauty is wonderful. If you enjoy puzzles, SOTC is one of the best out there especially if you're playing without a guide.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I played through Ico for the first time earlier this year. It holds up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.